Reactor cooling and external water

• Hello everyone! I'm back from quite the break from Minecraft and am quite excited to get back to playing, along of course with IndustrialCraft². I've been reading up on the changes, specifically around the revamped nuclear reactor systems and am planning out designs already. However after much reading, I'm given the impression that dunking your reactor in water is no longer an effective means of cooling. Is this true, you now just let it hang about in the air?

Thanks for any clarification! :thumbup:

• Official Post

I use Steam reactor's (see IC2 Config) So i find Surounding it in water makes it look more badass and more Realistic.

• you're best off with a layer or two of reinforced stone instead of water, at-least until you can be confident at your reactor building skills

• Hello everyone! I'm back from quite the break from Minecraft and am quite excited to get back to playing, along of course with IndustrialCraft². I've been reading up on the changes, specifically around the revamped nuclear reactor systems and am planning out designs already. However after much reading, I'm given the impression that dunking your reactor in water is no longer an effective means of cooling. Is this true, you now just let it hang about in the air?

Thanks for any clarification! :thumbup:

Correct, the ambient environment has zero impact on the reactor itself. Furthermore, ice and water are no longer valid means of cooling, therefore CASUC is officially dead.

Having said that, there are now ways to get upwards of 420 EU/t out of a Mk. I reactor, which beats the hell out of the old cap for a Mk. I reactor. So hey... there's trade-offs.

If you're wanting CASUC-level power output, you have two options:

1) The new Single-Use Coolant is the LZH/RSH Condensator. Granted, it'll consume about one lapis every second or so, but hey... it'll do the job. Unfortunately, the numbers state that you would lose more energy by trying to make lapis out of UUM than you would get out of the reaction. Oh well, that's the laws of thermodynamics and lack of a perfect efficiency system.

2) The 'new CASUC' is the CRCS. The upside is that you can even exceed CASUC level power generation. The downside is that it costs a LOT more. It would likely be more cost effective to create multiple smaller Mk. I generators than it would be to create one of these.

• you're best off with a layer or two of reinforced stone instead of water, at-least until you can be confident at your reactor building skills

Last time I played, I enjoyed wrapping my reactors in 5 layers thick of reenforced stone, simply because why not 8o

Thanks for the information guys!

Reactor meltdowns will blow right through any reinforced stone thats within 2 blocks of the center (I think it lavafies before the meltdown explosion) so there's a 5x5x5 space where you can put whatever you want (as long as its not important).

• It'll stop point blank nukes. I assume it handles meltdowns very well. Might still melt between the heatup and rapid disassembly though.

• It'll stop point blank nukes. I assume it handles meltdowns very well. Might still melt between the heatup and rapid disassembly though.

Yeah... it's kinda tough balancing warded stone for azanor I guess.
    You have to balance between security and easiness.

• It's not too unbalanced. Big thing is how cheap it is (mostly stone, a touch of metal, and a semi rare mob drop), but even then making large amounts of it requires serious infrastructure (tried making a small building out of it without alembics/clusters/capacitors/wisp containment in place, got random potion effects for hours and still dealing with wisp spawn).

• It's not too unbalanced. Big thing is how cheap it is (mostly stone, a touch of metal, and a semi rare mob drop), but even then making large amounts of it requires serious infrastructure (tried making a small building out of it without alembics/clusters/capacitors/wisp containment in place, got random potion effects for hours and still dealing with wisp spawn).

I meant that it would be quite tough for azanor to balance Warded Stone.

It is kinda cheap... but yeah for flux-free production it would take quite a while to get the stuff you need for that.