Ore proccessor (RP, NOT IC2)

• The Construction self is not very well, but not as bad as @bove. You really need a rzle for only posting IC2-related stuff here? Serious? Its logical, that you mustn't post completly IC2-unrelated stuff here.

The old "There is no rule against it so I can do it"-story.

• Official Post

To start with, use less machines. You really don't need that many.
    And also try to make it more compact.
    And where are those redstone tubes for? If those are relays, then you don't have to pulse them.

There are more things wrong at this design, but that'd be too much typing for me. :thumbdown:

• 4 Rules of Redpower machines:
    1. Do not use Redstone-Dust ever. (You are using it)
    2. Do not use Red-Pipes unless there is no alternative. (You are using them)
    3. Do not use uninsulated cable unless you absolutely have to. (Don't think you use cables at all)
    4. Never set a timer below 1 second and try to avoid hooking too many machines to one timer. (Can't tell the timer setting from the images, but you have your entire setup hooked to a single timer, which will cause micro-lags every time it ticks)

Since you are violating the top two rules, your machine will very likely cause lag. In addition your choice of components is rather bad:
    - If there is no good reason to, never use an ejector, use the relay instead. Relays will automatically forward items without having to supply a redstone signal first, which reduces lag.
    - Your placement of the restriction tubes doesn't seem to make any sense. They are supposed to be an alternative path if no other is available, yet there is one in the main path from the ender chests towards the processing machines and another one on the path to what I assume is the path to your storage room. As the line to the storage room is already much longer than the line to your void pipes, items would go to the void pipes first anyway.
    - There is no need for void pipes at all (as well as the hopper), just place a filter with its output facing a lava source block and you have your "void pipe".
    - You should place a relay between the input filter of each machine and the machine to buffer huge amounts of input.

• @sinnaj you could've at least just told me without yelling at me...
    @everyone else thanks for the suggestions, ill change it

• I recommend NOT using RedPower at all until all its bugs have been fixed. Crashed trying to open a timer. Additionally, relays cause unnecessary lag at the moment.

• I recommend NOT using RedPower at all until all its bugs have been fixed. Crashed trying to open a timer. Additionally, relays cause unnecessary lag at the moment.

Sadly true, but the bug-fix release date is completely random and could be tomorrow or next year, completely dependent on Eloraams mood. However you can use RP if you watch a few things, but if you don't your server will lag horribly from even a single setup. And if you try to feed animals using a deployer it will just simply crash the server on the last wheat. ;)

• Sadly true, but the bug-fix release date is completely random and could be tomorrow or next year, completely dependent on Eloraams mood. However you can use RP if you watch a few things, but if you don't your server will lag horribly from even a single setup. And if you try to feed animals using a deployer it will just simply crash the server on the last wheat. ;)

Also her work schedule. She has stated that the reason for her long silence during the interim between 1.2.5 and the 1.4 arc was that her work made it extremely difficult to get around to coding.

• If I shouldn't use RP, what should I use? Gregtech?

The Redstone Pnematic tubes are for nothing, I originally had a timer hooked up to them with filters pulling out of the machines. (But that didn't work) And what is wrong with using redstone dust? It's just to make sure that the timer pulses the pnematic tube. And it was a 2s timer btw. Do restriction tubes cause more lag than just having nothing? I thought of using the distance thing but just to make sure I used restriction tubes. The void pipe/hopper thing never worked, I have a filter outputting into obsidian pipe then void pipe now. I thought lava caused lag... guess not. And i'll probably put relays on the front of my machines, I want to be able to shove as many items in the ender chest as I want at a time and have them all get processed.

• @bove AE is the best mod for systems and Gregtech(Cheaper and better for smaller automation, that should not use the system up, but laggier) is very well for smaller stuff, like usless Biofuelfactories.

Yea, making giant pipes of small electric buffers not only would take up a ton of EU, but it would look ugly and take up 2 blocks because you need to power it.

• The Redstone Pnematic tubes are for nothing, I originally had a timer hooked up to them with filters pulling out of the machines. (But that didn't work) And what is wrong with using redstone dust? It's just to make sure that the timer pulses the pnematic tube. And it was a 2s timer btw. Do restriction tubes cause more lag than just having nothing? I thought of using the distance thing but just to make sure I used restriction tubes. The void pipe/hopper thing never worked, I have a filter outputting into obsidian pipe then void pipe now. I thought lava caused lag... guess not. And i'll probably put relays on the front of my machines, I want to be able to shove as many items in the ender chest as I want at a time and have them all get processed.

Redstone dust is slower in calculation and causes some overhead if used together with RedPower. With a single block the effect won't be noticeable, but if you build bigger machines and combine both, it will get significant at some point.

What did not work with your filter setup? As this is usually the standard way of pulling things out of machines. The placement of the filter matters though, for example with Macerators you need to place them in front of the machine to pull out the dust. Another idea is to use mangers to pull out the items from the chests (and machines as well if you have the resources to build enough managers). A manager (with no item inside) will automatically empty everything from the inventory it is attached to. This is a lag-free and very fast way to pull items out of an inventory.

Restriction tubes do not cause lag, they are just a logic item, but as far as I can tell from your pictures they do not help on the setup. You should consider a setup of tubes, filters and restriction tubes as a set of: "if it matches filter A -> filter A, else if it matches filter B -> filter B, ..., else if nothing matches -> restriction tube." An item will always take the shortest, possible path and restriction tubes act like they are 1000 blocks long. It is a bit like programming, just with tubes. ;)

Lava does not cause lag by its own, it just causes lag if it flows, but this is the standard Minecraft block-update lag that you get with everything else that changes the world as well. As items get instantly destroyed if they are thrown into lava, this will cause no lag at all. Just be carefull to not burn down your house... ;)

You should not put a relay in front of every machine, as again an item always takes the shortest, possible path. So if you have 4 furnaces each one with its own relay, the items would all go to the first relay, keeping the first furnace busy, while the others will be idle. That is why the relay has to be able to access all input slots of all furnaces (in this example) at the same time, so it distributes the items between them.

• Official Post

Yea, making giant pipes of small electric buffers not only would take up a ton of EU, but it would look ugly and take up 2 blocks because you need to power it.

You dont need an EU Line next to it. The Buffers can power a relatively long distance and work almost INSTANT (something between 0 and 1 Ticks, as they now look if their Inventory has been changed).

• Official Post

As stated above, do not use a relay for every machine only. Instead, use a filter or a sorting machine to enter machines into one huge loop. Inside that loop, redstone tubes touch the machines, inserting the items and the rest that has no place yet goes to a relay inside that loop WITH A RESTRICTION TUBE right where the items enter the relay. This way, all the items which went through the relay try to enter a machine again.

And for whoever says that I don't have to make a loop here, REDPOWER SYSTEMS CAN GET JAMMED. I don't want my entire tube network to get jammed, but one small part of it ( still it is as much as possible prevented that it jams up with this ).

• Official Post

As stated above, do not use a relay for every machine only. Instead, use a filter or a sorting machine to enter machines into one huge loop. Inside that loop, redstone tubes touch the machines, inserting the items and the rest that has no place yet goes to a relay inside that loop WITH A RESTRICTION TUBE right where the items enter the relay. This way, all the items which went through the relay try to enter a machine again.

And for whoever says that I don't have to make a loop here, REDPOWER SYSTEMS CAN GET JAMMED. I don't want my entire tube network to get jammed, but one small part of it ( still it is as much as possible prevented that it jams up with this ).

Congrats, your Loop causes even more lag than Relays ontop of Machines.

• The best way to avoid a jammed filter situation is to have a restriction tube leading to a normal chest for every filter as the "if it doesn't match anywhere else" safety loop-hole. If constructed the right way, you can limit that to only one chest in most systems.

Speaking of loops... someone on the server I was playing at had this great idea to auto-fill his furnaces with coal from a chest that was emptied by a filter, but when he realized that the filter blocked as soon as there was no more furnace with room, he looped the tube back into the chest, causing the coal to go round and round. The resulting lag effectively put the server into an unplayable state till we found that machine and deactivated it.

It is very easy to bring a server to its knees with RedPower, thats why you should always try to avoid that.

• Still, I prefer this way more than what the OP did. Unless I had some sort of multitasking machine, which processed multiple types of items at a time, then I'd rethink my design.

And I don't really care about which way causes slightly more lag or not.

The whole point of this thread was to make a lag-free ore proccessor

• Okay, still experimenting with what design is the best for my factory. This time, I try to not use a loop >.>. But instead I'll just have a Router with a relay on top into my Thermal Expansion and IC2 machines.

You should post it here when its done, I'd like to see it.