Radioisotope Thermoelectric Generator....?

• Official Post

The Nuclear reactor currently in ic2 is much more of a type of Thermoelectric Generator then a Conventional nuclear generator, which runs of steam. RITEG's Generate a relatively small amount of Energy compared to the Convention reactor, but does it over a very long time per isotope. My suggestion is that the current style reactor is turned into the Proper Conventional, with turbines and stuff (Perhaps IC2 could implement its own Steam and turbines that is compatible with RC's steam), with perhaps an internal steam or heat buffer (Yay for GUI Changes :P), while the people that want the Pure EU for say their Mass/matter fab they hooked up over night in their garden get the RITEG, For a cheaper, slightly more Environmentally friendly* use of their Radioactive Material. The Material in question would last a whole bunch longer (5 or 10 x their usual lifetime compared to the conventional reactor) but only produce maybe 10eu/t for a Quad UrCell. Of course, alot less heat would be produced due to the whole "Not fission" thing, and Putting cells next to cells wouldnt give such a bonus due to Neutrons not smashing.

Said RITEG should be made something like this:

*we are not responsible for improper waste disposal
    :Intergrated Plating::HV-Transformer::Intergrated Plating:
    :Advanced Machine::Reactor::Advanced Machine:
    :Coal Chunk::Extractor::Coal Chunk:
    Where :Extractor: = Reactor Chamber and :Coal Chunk: = Some kind of Heat Conducting alloy. This could be a 2 High block placed from a single one in inventory (Like a bed), with a Single non-expandable but fairly tall GUI, consisting of 5 wide and 12 Tall INV Box thingies.
    SUJESTIONAY TIAHM OVAH!!!1!!

• I like it. Sorta. I always thought Nuclear was missing something, then i found the nuclear steam reactors, just awesome, need some tweaks tough.

This could go well with Railcraft. If you want more power and have the Uranium, nuclear steam it is! However, as is, nuclear steam mode is not good for EU production, because of the cost of Turbines, and the fact that they need a rotor every now and then. It is much more rewarding turning that steam into MJ than into EU.

If you do not need so much power and are low on Uranium, Use thing type instead!

I fully support some GUI changes for nuclear reactor, like the need for water, e.t.c.

The Viper will hide in the shadows... unseen... unheard... and when you least expect, she strikes.

• Depending on Greg's answer, I'm maybe going to suggest even more than that ^^. But to GT, I guess, because its nuclear Stuff would allow more cool sytem ;) [Molten Salt Reactors based on Thorium anyone ?]

Soon with Molten Salt Reactors, right ? :D
    NERF THA FUSION REACTOR!

• Depending on Greg's answer, I'm maybe going to suggest even more than that ^^. But to GT, I guess, because its nuclear Stuff would allow more cool sytem ;) [Molten Salt Reactors based on Thorium anyone ?]

Greg tech is the hallelujah for every real industrialist that loves a challenge. All i would like to remember, is that we must do this and balance the resource costs in a way that Nuclear - Steam - Turbine - EU is actually rent able and affordable. Right now, nuclear steam is much better as Nuclear - Steam - Engines - MJ due to lower infrastructure and maintenance costs

The Viper will hide in the shadows... unseen... unheard... and when you least expect, she strikes.

• Official Post

Greg tech is the hallelujah for every real industrialist that loves a challenge. All i would like to remember, is that we must do this and balance the resource costs in a way that Nuclear - Steam - Turbine - EU is actually rent able and affordable. Right now, nuclear steam is much better as Nuclear - Steam - Engines - MJ due to lower infrastructure and maintenance costs

The Whole point of nuclear is that its hard to set up and requires a fair bit of time to do so, but the output is great. Some kind of Overly large Coolmodeled Turbine to fit above the reactor would be cool. I would generaly use the Steam reactor for mj and eu for things like my base, but i would much prefer a RITEG just to power my matter fab, due to that thing constantly needing EU, just feed in Decaying radioactive material and done!

• The Whole point of nuclear is that its hard to set up and requires a fair bit of time to do so, but the output is great. Some kind of Overly large Coolmodeled Turbine to fit above the reactor would be cool. I would generaly use the Steam reactor for mj and eu for things like my base, but i would much prefer a RITEG just to power my matter fab, due to that thing constantly needing EU, just feed in Decaying radioactive material and done!

I fully support multiblock structures and structures with high infrastructure cost. The most expensive part in a nuclear reactor plant is not the reactor itself, but all the structure and building needed to keep it going.

Maybe IC2 should add a steam turbine of its own, larger, but cheaper and weaker than railcraft ones, mainly for use in low power reactors or when you are low on steel. Tough the best, would be if Railcraft Turbines got cheaper and IC2 added a better and expensivier way to turn steam into EU also, visually cooler :D

Also, reactors need water input to be fully HAYO. And honestly, radioactivity needs to be buffed. Hunger, seriously? The calclavia modpack (Universal Eletricity) adds a radioactivity that triggers if you get too close to a reactor, you get withered.

• Official Post

I fully support multiblock structures and structures with high infrastructure cost. The most expensive part in a nuclear reactor plant is not the reactor itself, but all the structure and building needed to keep it going.

Maybe IC2 should add a steam turbine of its own, larger, but cheaper and weaker than railcraft ones, mainly for use in low power reactors or when you are low on steel. Tough the best, would be if Railcraft Turbines got cheaper and IC2 added a better and expensivier way to turn steam into EU also, visually cooler :D

Also, reactors need water input to be fully HAYO. And honestly, radioactivity needs to be buffed. Hunger, seriously? The calclavia modpack (Universal Eletricity) adds a radioactivity that triggers if you get too close to a reactor, you get withered.

This. And for the turbines, something you need to build that looks a little like the ones from Atomic science. Feed your reactor Water, then it emits actual steam from nearby, if your near you get radiation poisoning but if you are really close the Steam scalds you! Place the turbine ontop and the reactor in an enclosed area, steam goes up into turbine, eu produced :D

• Why would a RTG need a seperate block turbine? they are always compact and mostly used on rovers for use on other celestial bodies.
    Yes, it does run with steam, but only with very tiny amounts of it.derp.

• Official Post

Why would a RTG need a seperate block turbine? they are always compact and mostly used on rovers for use on other celestial bodies.
    Yes, it does run with steam, but only with very tiny amounts of it.

We were talking about Conventional Reactors, not RITEGS. RITEGS/RTG's arent actually reactors, they just use the heat from Decaying radioactivity, so no Steam is created other then from Condensation from water vapour.

• We were talking about Conventional Reactors, not RITEGS. RITEGS/RTG's arent actually reactors, they just use the heat from Decaying radioactivity, so no Steam is created other then from Condensation from water vapour.

Nevermind then.

• Official Post

current reactor is already radioisotope generator, there is good reason to suggest reactor improvements, not same machine with different name.

The Current reactor is a Conventional reactor but without steam. Replace the current one with a Conventional steam powered reactor, and if you want Pure EU use the RITEG, which doesnt make that much power (10 eu/t per Quad Uranium?) but lasts alot longer. Also has no risk of Exploding, but does emit Radiation, hurting all things nearby.

• The Current reactor is a Conventional reactor but without steam. Replace the current one with a Conventional steam powered reactor, and if you want Pure EU use the RITEG, which doesnt make that much power (10 eu/t per Quad Uranium?) but lasts alot longer. Also has no risk of Exploding, but does emit Radiation, hurting all things nearby.

IMO, both reactors should have a radioactivity effect, not because realism, but because HAYO. (I'm portraying my nuclear power plant, with a HAZMAT suit on a armor stand next to a sign "ALL employees must wear HAZMAT gear prior to entering reactor room). Tough RITEG should have a bit more... larger area of effect and/or stronger effects.

I also think that any reactor you build will be conventional by defaul, attack a cable onto it, and it automatically becomes a RITEG.

This is my suggestion on radioactivity:

-You will get small effects if you are holding nuclear cells without a full hazmat gear, or quantum or nano armor. Like hunger, nausea e.t.c. Temporary effects.

-Get into a room with a reactor without a Hazmat or quantum armor and you will get moderate effects, like withering, no health regeneration, e.t.c, however, if you stay too long next to a reactor, the effect becomes permanent. How can you heal yourself? build a decontamination chamber, supply it with EU and right click. You will enter it and see a progress bar. Once its is done, tadaaa. You are good to go.

-Nuclear Explosions have a massive amount of radiation, killing everything in its radius in a short time. You have to be extra fast not to die, and you will likelly get permanent effects.

• Official Post

I like the contamination thing actually, gives a good down side to the awesomeness of reactors.
    Fun fact of the day: Conventional reactors, if handled properly, emit less radiation then Coal generators.
    Yolo.

• Fun fact of the day: Conventional reactors, if handled properly, emit less radiation then Coal generators.

Of course. That's what I told 10 times to Greg ^^. Too bad german people don't know that, they would find fun the fact they replaced all their Nuclear Reactor with coal-based powerplants ...

NERF THA FUSION REACTOR!

• Also, about the "coal radiation", you must account for the different types of radiation. Light and Infra reds are radiations themselves. and i rather be bombarded with those instead of Gamma waves...

• Official Post

Also, about the "coal radiation", you must account for the different types of radiation. Light and Infra reds are radiations themselves. and i rather be bombarded with those instead of Gamma waves...

Coal contains small amounts of both Uranium and thorium, and when coal Ash is burnt into fly ash, the Ur/Th is concentrated up to 10x as much. In fact, the fly ash emitted by a power plant carries into the surrounding environment 100 times more radiation than a nuclear power plant producing the same amount of energy. And anyway, Light and Infrared (Along with Ultraviolet) arent technically "Radiation", just different wavelengths of Electromagnetism. The 4 current forms of radiation only cover 2 EM Waves, Gamma and Microwaves, the other 2 are Alpha and Beta particles, which arent EM Waves.

• The 4 current forms of radiation only cover 2 EM Waves, Gamma and Microwaves, the other 2 are Alpha and Beta particles, which arent EM Waves.

I agreed with the rest, but ... WHAT ?
    Alpha and Beta aren't EM, right, there are He-Nucleus and Electron-Positron. But, apart from Gamma and Microwaves ... waves used for radio are radiations. Light is radiation (I mean the one you can see). Unless I'm mistaking because of some english terms, Microwaves mean "lower frequency than Infra Reds" (and higher than some others, but we don't care), and Gamma is "Higher than X-ray" ... so there are still plenthy of radiations between ^^ [and I'm only talking of light]
    Especially assuming that, according to Quantum Physic, every single body has a wave-function, which means everything is a radiation ... (even if we don't care for something like a human, a planet or a car, but that means Neutrons are radiations, even if you don't use to call these like that).

As for new machine, Molten Salt reactors could be (GT here ... ^^), but these wouldn't be as fun (as the only thing that act on their efficiency is the concentration of Thorium in).

NERF THA FUSION REACTOR!

• - and if all else fails- just make an item that "burns" in a generator for a long long time...

Yup, or a SU-battery like, something like 50 000 EU (or 5% of the efficiency it should have in a Nuclear Reactor, as Nuclear based-battery have often something between 4 and 7 % efficency compared to Reactor, but they work with Isotope unusable in Nuclear Reactor so ... Near Depleted Isotope Cells ? As of Output-issues, just make it working only in BatBox, or Generator/(Geo)Thermal Generator ?

NERF THA FUSION REACTOR!