Exploding Batbox

• Official Post

the balanced way of IC² back in 1.2.5

Explain, that was when reactors could be cooled by water around them, so you could run a single uranium cell reactor with 19 water around the reactor, no other coollant.

145 Mods isn't too many. 9 types of copper and 8 types of tin aren't too many. 3 types of coffee though?

I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realise that what you read was not what I meant.

---- Minecraft Crash Report ----
    // I just don't know what went wrong :(

I see this too much.

• Also, I'd prefer if mods weren't targeted to them and therefore cut potentially interesting features.

I know right? Every time I see a post where someone complains that they hate how IC2 machines explode, I just want to tell them to go buy 2 copper wires, hook them into a cell phone or console, and then just stick those two wires into the outlet slots. I mean, seriously...

(btw: don't attempted the aforementioned if you value said products listed above)

Would anyone like to try a Slowpoke Tail?! Only 1 Million Yen!

this isn't about arrogance or ego, I have a block that I put a lot of freaking work into

Every Mod Author, in existence. And yet, you STILL say otherwise.

• or value your life :pinch:

circuit breaker should trip before you do anything bad, as well as it will only hurt if you are part of the circuit
    CIRCUIT BREAKERS! we need circuit breakers! that would be an awesome block/cable to have so we can prevent machines from blowing up
    btw, your cell phone won't explode but it will be fried, at least for those of us on 120 lines.

• Official Post

btw, your cell phone won't explode but it will be fried, at least for those of us on 120 lines.

Try overcharging a Li-Ion battery (your cellphone battery) and see what happens... [just look on youtube for a video]

• Try overcharging a Li-Ion battery (your cellphone battery) and see what happens... [just look on youtube for a video]

seen them, they aren't taking 120 and putting it to the battery, which doesn't behave the same as DC. hmmm, sounds like an episode of mythbusters....at least one of the mini-myths episodes.

• circuit breaker should trip before you do anything bad, as well as it will only hurt if you are part of the circuit

No, if you are part of the circuit, you are fucking dead. No joke, I know many cases where electricians were working on wires, and didn't realize the cables were still live. Once they accidentally grabbed the live ends of the wire, they were cooked in mere seconds...

This is on 120V American, mind you...

this isn't about arrogance or ego, I have a block that I put a lot of freaking work into

• No, if you are part of the circuit, you are fucking dead. No joke, I know many cases where electricians were working on wires, and didn't realize the cables were still live. Once they accidentally grabbed the live ends of the wire, they were cooked in mere seconds...

that depends on what part of you is the circuit, if it never goes through your heart or head you're ok, you'll still be hurting. I've been shocked by 120 before, it is not fun even when it was just fingers. (Never try to plug in a cord by feel with your fingers touching the prongs.)

• Official Post

that depends on what part of you is the circuit, if it never goes through your heart or head you're ok, you'll still be hurting. I've been shocked by 120 before, it is not fun even when it was just fingers. (Never try to plug in a cord by feel with your fingers touching the prongs.)

Something similar happened to me, but because the plug was wet (bathroom).

Thats also why people can survive thunders.

• that depends on what part of you is the circuit, if it never goes through your heart or head you're ok, you'll still be hurting. I've been shocked by 120 before, it is not fun even when it was just fingers. (Never try to plug in a cord by feel with your fingers touching the prongs.)

Ok, I'll give you that. I've heard it's like a baseball bat being hit directly to where you make contact at...

btw, You wouldn't happen to be an IBEW member, by any chance?

• Ok, I'll give you that. I've heard it's like a baseball bat being hit directly to where you make contact at...

across the fingers it was weird. Tingly, a bit spastic, and hurty. :P

btw, You wouldn't happen to be an IBEW member, by any chance?

IBEW? no, AE actually who sometimes tinkers with electricity.

• No, if you are part of the circuit, you are fucking dead. No joke, I know many cases where electricians were working on wires, and didn't realize the cables were still live. Once they accidentally grabbed the live ends of the wire, they were cooked in mere seconds...

Remind me again why does US use the incredibly efficient and far more dangerous 120V instead of 250V of the rest of the world, again?

I've been shocked by 240V MANY times before and once by 380V. The 380V thingy literally threw me across the room against a wall but I got off with a bit of a scare, nothing else. My younger brother in all his wisdom once decided to check if power is on by sticking two wires in a wall socket holding one in each hand. He is still here and also nothing bad happened to him

Not saying electricity is completely harmless, just you need to be extremely unlucky to die to it or go touching the far more dangerous 120V lines.

• Official Post

I got shocked several times by 127V and never by 220V (the two standards), i'm still fine.

Another thing is that whenever the electric connections of a house are directly connected (like putting a wire connecting the two holes of the plug [or when someone somehow makes that connection, while being the "wire"]), the current is too high and will deactivate the energy supply through a device which i don't remember its translation.

Remind me again why does US use the incredibly efficient and far more dangerous 120V instead of 250V of the rest of the world, again?

Probably because they are too greedy to put up the money to update it to a safer system to work with...

• Another thing is that whenever the electric connections of a house are directly connected (like putting a wire connecting the two holes of the plug [or when someone somehow makes that connection, while being the "wire"]), the current is too high and will deactivate the energy supply through a device which i don't remember its translation.

The only issue with depending on (circuit breakers/ fuses) for safety is that they aren't instantaneous, and cannot protect humans shorting the wires from cardiac arrest or brain damage because they don't always trip quickly enough. Also note that human resistance to AC (really impedance, but that's because the skin acts as a dielectric(making the body behave as a capacitor when subjected to AC)) is only 300-1000 ohms, which means that for 120V the instantaneous current ranges from 400 mA to 120 mA, which is more than enough to cause cardiac arrest, but not nearly enough to guarantee that a breaker trips.

• The only issue with depending on (circuit breakers/ fuses) for safety is that they aren't instantaneous, and cannot protect humans shorting the wires from cardiac arrest or brain damage because they don't always trip quickly enough. Also note that human resistance to AC (really impedance, but that's because the skin acts as a dielectric(making the body behave as a capacitor when subjected to AC)) is only 300-1000 ohms, which means that for 120V the instantaneous current ranges from 400 mA to 120 mA, which is more than enough to cause cardiac arrest, but not nearly enough to guarantee that a breaker trips.

I think you are mixing leakage protection (RCD or ELCB) with circuit breaker / fuse.

Circuit breaker is a fuse that can be reset while RCD will trip if there is small amount of current leaking to the ground.

For example the one in my home will trip if there is 30mA or more leaking to ground.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earth_leakage_circuit_breaker
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R…l_current_circuit_breaker

• Probably because they are too greedy to put up the money to update it to a safer system to work with...

or they realize that it would be impossibly expensive due to the size of the infrastructure to update. Every and I mean EVERY transformer and substation would have to be updated, not to mention every appliance would have to be replaced (or a power converter purchased). then you'd have a ton of garbage from all the chargers, appliances, and main line transformers that would have to be thrown away.
    Plus many line transformers aren't mass produced and take months to make, some at least a year.
    It is just too late to update the US power grid to 240V.

• Quoted from "CrazyCrafter"
    Quoted from "SpwnX"
    Another thing is that whenever the electric connections of a house are directly connected (like putting a wire connecting the two holes of the plug [or when someone somehow makes that connection, while being the "wire"]), the current is too high and will deactivate the energy supply through a device which i don't remember its translation.
    The only issue with depending on (circuit breakers/ fuses) for safety is that they aren't instantaneous, and cannot protect humans shorting the wires from cardiac arrest or brain damage because they don't always trip quickly enough. Also note that human resistance to AC (really impedance, but that's because the skin acts as a dielectric(making the body behave as a capacitor when subjected to AC)) is only 300-1000 ohms, which means that for 120V the instantaneous current ranges from 400 mA to 120 mA, which is more than enough to cause cardiac arrest, but not nearly enough to guarantee that a breaker trips.
    I think you are mixing leakage protection (RCD or ELCB) with circuit breaker / fuse.

Unfortunately, most homes in america lack RCD or ELCB devices for the majority of their circuits, and they are only required for areas which commonly contain water, such as bathrooms or the outdoors. I was referring to breakers/fuses when I said that they wouldn't trip, and leakage protection is a non-factor because the original situation was regarding using 2 wires poked into the "hot" and "neutral"(not ground) terminals in an outlet to charge a phone, which wouldn't cause an RCD or ELCB to trip because nothing actually leaks to ground. Also, the major hazard would be overheating of whatever you tried to connect to the 120V grid if you were smart enough to use insulated wire.

• or they realize that it would be impossibly expensive due to the size of the infrastructure to update. Every and I mean EVERY transformer and substation would have to be updated, not to mention every appliance would have to be replaced (or a power converter purchased). then you'd have a ton of garbage from all the chargers, appliances, and main line transformers that would have to be thrown away.
    Plus many line transformers aren't mass produced and take months to make, some at least a year.
    It is just too late to update the US power grid to 240V.

Sounds like a great way to get out of economy crisis. For great depression US had people do all sorts of relatively useless thins for money, redoing electric grid would be useful and allso save a whole lot of money in the long run.