question about rubber trees

• Correct me if I am wrong, but I am pretty sure after the tree has been grown the side is already pre-determined. I don't have a running minecraft right now, but I am pretty sure if you look closely on the texture, blank sides just look like regular wood patterns when sides that can produce sticky resin have a dull square where the resin would be.

• I can now confirm that sides that can produce sticky resin are pre-determined on tree growth. I just looked in-game and after tapping a rubber tree, sides that can produce rubber have an outline of the rubber left on it, when normal sides just look like darker wood logs.

• ok, you may have answered my question but he way you guys said it, it may have not bern the answer i need.i have a forestry milti farm. if i grow 2 trees next to eachother will resin produce between the 2 trees, even without a space

• ok, you may have answered my question but he way you guys said it, it may have not bern the answer i need.i have a forestry milti farm. if i grow 2 trees next to eachother will resin produce between the 2 trees, even without a space

Any side except top and bottom. Even if it is obstructed or covered.

• ok, thanks a lot, also heard a rumor that you need the top 3 leaves above to get more resin, so far it seems to be false, just checking

• Official Post

I also usually leave the leaves, but thats pure lazyness to not climbing up to destroy them.

Rubber resin grows as long the hole is there, anything else doesnt matter.
    Really, if you have portal gun or gravity gun (or anything that is able to move blocks, like chests, without destroying them) you can move those resin logs to a confined space and have your in-door compacted resin farm.