Posts by SegFaulter

I recently have been thinking of a way to make the biofuel system better. I eventually came up with an idea - Maggots (Technically, they're actually some kind of compost worm, because maggots are fly larvae, but we'll just call them Maggots).

First, there would be a new block: the Compost Bin. In this bin, the player puts Maggots, Water, and different organic materials to compost. Maggots are not consumed. The bin works in cycles - first, the player inputs materials to compost, into a 2x2 grid - one item from each slot is taken (only one from each slot, up to 4 items total), and after the cycle is up, composted materials are output in the output slot, the number of them being the same as how many items were taken from the 2x2 grid.

The composted materials will also have a "quality" value - this is determined by the kinds of items thrown into the 2x2 grid, and the type of Maggots in the compost bin - more on that later. The average quality of all 4 (or less) items taken from the grid is the base quality value, multiplied by the maggots' quality modifier value.

Another block - the Fermenter - would take Composted Materials and make Biomass out of them. The amount of biomass created depends on the quality of the composted materials input into the fermenter. The biomass can be directly burned in a Semifluid Generator, or processed in another machine - the Distillery.

The Distillery is the only one of these three new machines that needs a kind of fuel. The basic one is slow and uses burnable fuels, and the electric one is faster, running on electric energy. The distillery takes Biomass, boils it, and creates from it Scrap and Biofuel. Biofuel, of course, can be burned for energy, just like in the current system.

Now, on to the Maggots. Maggots would be put into a Maggot Bin to breed. They would just be a pile of Maggots, having different traits and all. There are 2 input slots in the maggot bin - both for different maggots to be put in and to breed. If only one slot is filled, after a while, they will produce Offspring, but at a slower rate than breeding two kinds of maggots. The traits of the maggots that breed will combine, like with forestry bees, and have a small chance to combine to form a better, more refined/desirable trait. Those desirable traits would affect the maggot quality, fertility, work rate, etc.

To obtain maggots, the player can kill Zombies. They would rarely drop a pile of maggots with basic, common traits (biome dependent?). In the nether, zombie pigmen would rarely drop maggots with more desirable traits.

Some exotic kinds of maggots could even be able to process different kinds of materials to create different stuff - like processing Crushed Ores slowly into more dusts than normal, or processing Redstone/glowstone directly into Energy, more efficiently than just throwing Redstone into an energy storage block.

An even more endgame type of maggot, would possibly be able to make Super Composted Materials, which are fermented into Super Biomass, which is distilled into Fertilizer and Superfuel. These would be very difficult to get, though, and would require using the maggot breeding process to obtain them, rather than just finding them.

Just like all other suggestions, I want your feedback. Tell me what you like/dislike about this idea, and how it can be improved. It is much better to propose to the developers a more refined idea, rather than what I just thought up. I also included a Poll, to make it easier to see how many support/don't support this idea. Thank you.

Cobblestone could be thrown into a Thermal Centrifuge for a chance at producing mineral dusts, or bits of other kinds of stone, that can be made into blocks and smelted for cool building materials. Or, said dusts could be further processed to obtain valuable elements/compounds, or even used for energy. Netherrack could contain small amounts of Gold and Redstone, which are useful.
    There could even be added a machine, requiring no energy, being some sort of "Compost chamber", which produces Fertilizer from large amounts of waste plant/animal material. Maggots, rarely dropped from zombies, could be added to speed up the process. And the methane created by the process could be used as fuel.
    Heck, there could even be added an entire Maggot breeding mechanic, similar to Forestry's Bees - different breeds of Maggots could produce more fertilizer, different byproducts, etc., or even process crushed ores for more yield.
    That's just a few things I came up with. I hope it's helpful.

Uhhm am I right in the assumption that this is either a Troll Thread or you thinking that Mod is being up to date at all? The Github you linked is 5 Months old.

Modding takes time. You of all people should know that.
    And don't Assume. It makes an Ass out of U and Me (get it, Ass-U-Me?)

If you hate GregTech that much entirely, you may as well drop it.

I'm still waiting for the mod mod to be released with enough of GregTech's content, that I can change to that mod with minimal losses. But of course, modding takes time, so it's gonna be a while.

Well well well, would you look at that... someone finally got off their ass and did something about Greg's ridiculous (insert just about everything in GregTech here). Now we don't have to mine the entire planet just to get enough Rubies for enough chrome to build a single industrial whatever. The days of using that poorly-done TerraFirmaCraft clone are over.
    For those interested: https://github.com/Dtroll/FuturologyMod
    Sadly, however, I can not change to any other replacement, unless they add Exactly what gregtech adds, which I already have some of in my world, and I don't like resources getting destroyed for nothing.

I thought that the Nano Saber was first intended to be a special sword, made of an insulator sandwiched between to metal plates - one positive and one negative. When said sword would hit flesh, the circuit would be closed and high amounts of energy would flow through whatever it is touching. But, due to the extremely powerful energy storage device used in it (to give it enough energy to be useful), the electricity simply jumps from side to side, in an awesome show of sparks and energy-bolts, which upon contact with flesh, burns it AND flows through it.
    Thus, a Chainsword would be an improvement, where the teeth are just like the Nano-Saber, but move at a high speed like a chainsaw, to help with cutting and dealing more damage.
    Also, when used to break a Tree block, it should drop 1-3 Charcoal, because that's even more awesome.

These designs are great. But there is only one problem - the breeding system has been reworked, and now we have MOX fuel rods and Plutonium fuel. There are no depleted isotope cells or stuff like that any more.

This sounds like a reasonable suggestion. Lead would certainly make a heavy backpack, but I think Steve has proven he has insane physical strength already.

Steve can carry over 44,469 Metric Tons of stuff, and still run at about 5.6 meters/sec. That's beyond insane.

bundled power cable? absolutely! precolored wires...yeah
    circuit breakers....make it so they can be set to a specific amount not tiers. sometimes we want an exact amount not the default tier settings

Thank you for your feedback. Topic post has been updated, to suggest that the breaker voltage limit be configurable in specific amounts, rather than by tier.

Buildcraft pipe wire has 4 different colours which don't interact. Bundled cables are 16 ones all in one thick looking cable

I guess the Buildcraft Pipewire would be a better example, now. Except, of course, the cables would have to be bigger, and not supported by a pipe-structure.

It seems odd how an average minecraft Steve can know everything about circuitry, electricity/magnetism, quantum mechanics, nuclear engineering, etc., and be able to construct any device at any time, given the right resources. So, I have an idea to suggest - the Research and Development system.

The concept is that the player can take a part, material, item, etc., and investigate it at a research table. Notes are taken on paper, and once the research is complete and the notes make sense, the player can take those notes over to a development table. At the development table, several research note papers are used (NOT consumed) to construct a "blueprint" for a machine/part/item. This blueprint is then taken to a Worktable, where the blueprint is inserted into a slot, and the necessary materials in other slots, and the materials consumed to make a device/part/item.

First, the research table. Its GUI would be relatively simple, with a slot for Paper, a slot for Ink Sacs, a slots for materials/parts/items/devices, a slot for finished notes, and a display for whatever cool effects could be added. Under the items slots row for the item(s) to be inspected, would be a button saying "inspect" or something like that.
    Usage is pretty straightforward. Items are input into the slots, paper in another, etc., and the button is pressed to inspect the items and/or observe what happens with them. For example, putting Magnetite and a bar of iron into the slots, would be observable for part of, if not the entire, concept of magnetism. After the first inspection is made for a set of notes, there is produced incomplete notes, which are to be left in the Working Notes slot, or can be removed and put back in that slot later. Those notes are worked on with multiple observations, and when complete, will produce "finished notes" that can be removed from the table. Items are not consumed, except for paper and ink, one of which is consumed for a single incomplete notes-page the first time it is made, and never again throughout the progression of the research.

The development table is even simpler. Research Notes are loaded into its storage, which can hold lots of them. Then, Notes are taken from the storage and put in special slots. When there is a special combination in the slots, that is something a person would logically think of, a blueprint can be created for a machine/item/etc. that uses those concepts.
    Some notes can be read to create master notes, which function just like notes, but represent a concept of two or more note-papers. For example, one might use the notes for metal, frames, etc. and the notes for electricity/magnetism to create the master notes for the block-machine concept.

The worktable is also pretty simple. At the bottom is a grid, about the size of a single-chest. This is where materials/items are loaded. At the top is a slot for some blueprints, and some slots for basic tools, like a saw, hammer/mallet, screwdriver, pliers, etc., which are damaged slightly each time something is made from a blueprint that requires them. Blueprints can be held and right-clicked for the player to see what they create, a sketch of what it looks like, some weird blueprinty-stuff under that, and off to the right, a list of stuff needed to make it, which is bolded to make it easy to find. Once the needed materials are input into the worktable, the player can craft the item/machine/whatever. Resources are consumed, tools are used, and the product is gained in the hands of the crafter.

Of course, sometimes the user might happen upon a device, item, or other piece of technology ahead of their current state. This is where a new table is useful: the Reverse-Engineering table. At this table, there are slots for research stuff like the research table, and slots for tools. A piece of technology is put into a slot, and can be dismantled into smaller pieces if possible. These pieces can be researched to learn concepts and put them on research notes. Of course, it is likely that a player may happen to find only a pert/device that can not really be dismantled without ruining the concept, so they would be able to be inspected without having to be dismantled.

After some time, the player might not want to use the old worktable and its constant need of new tools. So, there could be created a machine, that uses permanently-installed electric variants of the tools needed, to change input materials into the machine/item/whatever on given blueprints - the Assembly Machine. This machine automatically assembles a product when the needed energy/resources are available, and only does so if blueprints for something are given, because else it doesn't know what to do. It can also be automated further, with a system to input resources and extract the product, but this may be only practical for multiplayer and/or solar-spammers/RTG-spammers. It also takes time to manufacture a product, about as long as a single macerator cycle.

This would make more sense, as a player would have to research before they can build something. This would also make machines less OP, as they would be a little harder to make. Some machines would be very difficult to make, so in a multiplayer environment, one could make lots of profit selling their research or products of that research. There could even be implemented a Notebook, for holding notes pages, and those could be compatible with BiblioCraft bookshelves, which would look awesome in a library.

Of course, this is a suggestion, so you can reply with your thoughts, and it is best if you do, so that we have a good idea of what people want. It would be even better if you were to vote on the poll, as this keeps the developers from having to read all of the replies. Thank you for your consideration.

We all know how difficult it is to wire a base properly, and keep the high-voltage line from crossing the low-voltage line, etc., especially in a smaller base. Well, I have thought of a solution, that would take care of that problem: Coloured and Bundled Cables.

Coloured Cables would only connect to cables of the same colour. This would allow the user to colour different cables different colours, and keep them from crossing.
    Bundled Cables would be a combination of 4 cables in one block. These coloured cables making up each bundled cable would act as individual cables, and power would not flow between them.

So, what happens if the user accidentally connects a medium-voltage supply to the low-voltage lines? Sparks fly and parts fry, that's what. Even if someone is being very careful with what they connect to what, they may accidentally fry their entire workshop/base by just placing a cable in the wrong spot. However, there is a possible solution: The Circuit Breaker.

The circuit breaker connects to two cables, one on the left and one on the right. They can be coloured/bundled cables, but the colours on one side must correspond the the colours on the other side. They can be different, but the differing cables would not be used. There is a state for each cable in the breaker: On and Off. If a cable is off, of course, it will not conduct any electricity.
    The GUI would be a grid of switches, with a single switch for each individual cable connected to it (cables making up bundled cable = individual cables). Each switch corresponds to a single cable, and displays that cable's colour above it (shows GUI background for uncoloured cables).
    Under each switch is a number-box, and next to that are two arrow buttons: one up and one down. Up increases the voltage limit by one, and down does the opposite. Next to those are two more buttons, that increase/decrease voltage by 10 orso. If this voltage is exceeded by any energy trying to pass through the cable, it will trigger the breaker and that cable will be deactivated before the energy gets through the breaker. The switch for an overloaded cable will stay off so long as the voltage is too high, and can not be turned off until the voltage decreases. Once the voltage is under the limit, the switch can be manually turned back on.
    Of course, the player can also use this to activate/deactivate cables manually, rather than to simply protect against overvoltage.
    The recipe for such a block would consist of one basic machine block, four redstone switches, and four copper coil assemblies normally used to construct electric motors.

This is just a suggestion, intended to submit an idea and see if people support it. That is why I have included a poll, to see if there are enough people in support of the idea(s), as the developers probably don't have enough time to read through the replies and see what people say.
    If you are in favor of the idea or not, please vote accordingly, and if you have anything to say, please do so. If you don't really care if it is added or not, but don't want to have to vote either "no" or "yes", I have included an option for that on the poll.
    Thank you.

I can't even count how many times my shiny, new bronze armor has fallen apart only halfway through a single mining session. It is nowhere near OP, and can actually be dangerous, when it runs out and a player still thinks they are equipped with it, running out into the open and being slaughtered by the countless monsters.
    If Bronze is OP, then Macerators are OP, then the other machines, then batteries, then energy-storage blocks, then tools, then just about everything, and before you know it, everything, even sticks and wood, would be nerfed to preserve balance. It is best to leave armour the way it is, else the mod could be turned into another Terra-Firma-Craft clone like GregTech.