Posts by Kye_Duo

I know how it used to work and I'm not quite sure how it works today. I am quite certain, thoguh, that there are still some sort of packets moving in cables. They are just different than they used to be.

They most definitely did have. E.g if I had a LV transformer pulling power from MFE and feeding into a furnace then the transformer pulled 128 EU from MFE, kept that 128 EU in internal storage and sent out small packets whenever furnace asked for them. When that 128 EU ran out it requested another 128 EU packet from MFE. Without internal storage in the transformer the older system would either had HUGE energy losses or there would have been way too many tiny packets moving in the line between MFE and transformer. As neither happened I feel quite safe when saying they did have internal capacity, generally equal to the higher input/output EU value (128 for LV transformer, 512 for MV etc)

It's WIP and FAR from finished. You can't really say it's needs to be rebuilt when it has many features missing still.

technically you still have one packet per tick, but you can't exceed it, now you just add to the EU/t which is like BC, but BC you can't blow stuff up nor is there a voltage level (BC is supposed to be pneumatic energy, but it does quite follow those rules)

It used to be parallel power connections now it is all serial.

That isn't an internal storage like an MFSU or batbox, the transformer is just maintaining a min packet size when stepping up. If the setup is one packet input it would output every 4 ticks for stepping up. For stepping down it would simply output 4 packets every tick. The old EU meter didn't read the number of packets per tick, just the average EU/t of all the packets going through, which is one reason it would get screwy readings if you gave it too short a sample time.

I wouldn't have put out this 1/4 finished product for public testing just yet. I would have gotten much farther along. Doing it this way makes cross mod compatibility a nightmare.

Packets are still there I believe, you just can't have more than one per cable network. If you have more than one thing adding energy to a network their outputs are added together into a single packet now and that's why things go boom.

Transformers have always had internal storage.

packets are gone, before you could have infinite packets going down the line, now power devices add to the EU/t instead of adding more packets.

no, they've never had internal storage, they used the packets to adjust the power without power loss, they behaved exactly as I posted above.

the current E-net setup is totally fubar'd and needs to be replaced with a completely thought out setup.

I meant converting them. Also, nice! Thank you for the photo's! I will be needing them for reference later. And also, forget the wooden hv pipe. There are no textures for it anyway.

should be, unless it uses the stock BC wooden conductive pipe textures....hmm. Seems it does use that...I'd love it if you'd give the HV wooden pipe its own texture so I could tell at a glance what I'm using, otherwise you'll have to find out the texture for the wooden conductive pipe inside the BC mod and use that.

You haven't actually tried it out in-game, right?

Guess what, I just did. Had a line of batbox -> LV transformer with RS -> CESU and putting a RE battery in batbox gave me a bit under 10k EU in the CESU (some EU was stuck in batbox and transformer)
    Same line the other way around also put a bit under 10k EU to batbox.

In short, transformers work just fine in experimental.

so then, what replaced the packets? something had to to prevent any problems. Unless the transformer suddenly got an internal EU storage of infinite size to store and slowly release the EU

yes, if that mod has those options
    Just be warned, sometimes with refined ingots of materials there can be some conflicts and strange behavior. You only have to worry about this behavior if you use automated crafting devices like those in BC.

i hope he gets the parallel and series power additions correct
    right now it is parallel (packet increase) but the experimental build has it series right now

ok, so what is replacing the packets? that was the "amps" from pre-experimental era
    otherwise the transformer turns into a fancy voltage regulating diode and does not remain a transformer

I'm quite certain transformers have internal capacity equivalent to the higher voltage packet size meaning there shouldn't be any losses.

power losses/gains
    pre-experimental build, they would adjust the EU/t and the packets. IE: HV-MV would be this, 1 packet @ 512 EU/t : 4 packets @ 128 EU/t.
    Now, without packets you'd only get out 128 EU/t, losing 384 EU/t
    do the reverse and you'll see a massive potential for power abuse combined with transformer upgrades on machines.
    RL power does something similar, V and Amps change with transformers, but the total Wattage must stay the same, provided the transformer isn't pulling off just a portion of the power.
    A power system with only one number doesn't work with transformers.

I say that it is an WIP feature, which causes explosions when EU/t exceeds the previously maximum packet size.
    For example, 32 EU/t for the batbox.

I'm curious how you are going to deal with transformers without packets.
    You need to have a second power value to really be able to set-up/down the power without loss or potential for abuse.

Anyone wanna split the textures apart for me? ;) I'm a bit confused how to do the whole thing... Pssstttt.... The gui's don't work right now and everything else is also broken. :) It will eventually get done though. And if not, I will hand the source code over to another person to take after.

isn't there a program out there that will do the texture unstitching?
    here, both the unstitcher and the texture to resource pack converter can be found on the wiki page for resource packs (texture ender for converter, unstictcher for well, the unstictcher)

It doesn't give too much more, the full process on an iron ore yields 2 full iron dust, 2 stone dust, 4 small piles of iron dust (9 make a full dust), and 2 small piles of gold dust (9 make a full dust).

great, that makes my BC+IC2 ore processing setup harder to do...ah well, I'll prob need the room due to the changes being done to the elec system...I'm surprised you guys haven't just gone to Volt, Amps, Watts setup.
    and what will I need with stone dust?

For the E-net rework, basically they got rid of packets, this makes energy combine into the voltage, partially reducing lag, this also makes it so, for example, 2 batboxes can fry copper cable, and cause explosions on 32eu/t machines.

There have been some changes for things like crafting for machine blocks, they now require plates. plates are crafted using a forge hammer. Some machines have been added, like the thermal centrifuge, and ore washing machine, they are used to get more output from your macerated ores. Lead ore has been added, and is used primarily in reactor components. Mass fabrication has been changed a little bit, with the energy cost of uu matter becoming 10x what it was before, I believe there are more changes to mass fabrication to come. New nuclear fuels have been added, along with a new type of reactor the Radioisotope Thermoelectric Generator, it uses pellets of RTG fuel which last forever, but make small amounts of energy (I think that's correct, but don't trust me on that).

wait, more output from macerated ores? 2x yield wasn't enough?

Pssttt.... I got it working sort of in 1.6.2.... If someone wants to help me they can.... I just need help with ic2 and buildcraft api changes... ;D

what do you mean, "sorta working"?
    you might be able to talk with Covert Jaguar about BC (and maybe IC2) power API changes, he handles RailCraft but is involved in BC work, plus has an IC2 multiblock power generation steam turbine.
    If you do get this working I will be VERY VERY VERY happy.

That is as exploitive as making permanent day for solar panels using beds or mystcraft ages.
    Rain is also harder to make.

If you use my second idea (aka making watermill river biome dependant) it would work good.
    Rain and thunderstorms could cause bonus generation as it does increase a river's current.

river, extreme hills, (maybe a few of the new ones, like the ravine) and have a "reservoir" requirement above it to combat any attempts to exploit it, say the HV one requires (LxWxH) 15x15x40 pool of water above it, power level adjusting for the "water level" as you fill it up.
    and yes I know that water can be exploited but so what. If you get technical about it, any other mod like UE and its fusion reactor can be made to have an easy power gen, especially if they go with an easy method of using antimatter for power gen.

56.0.0:

• Updated to Minecraft 1.6.2.
    • Now fully translatable.
    • Sides are now accessed the same way as vanilla furnaces, rather than like other IC2 machines - this means input from the top and output from the bottom.
    • Removed restrictions on placing items in slots.
    • Inverted redstone behaviour. Machines will speed up by themselves only when NOT receiving a redstone signal.

I don't suppose you'll reconsider the input/output sides. I would love to be able to extract with pipes from the sides, it makes powering and pulling using BC pipes, in my compact setup, easier if I can extract from the sides.