Posts by Zudguard

I am looking at the recipe book i have here so i can update a few recipes on the wiki and see somthing confusing.

The generator can be made with a RE battery, and 2 refined iron. in the layout:
    (bat pack being the battery)
    :Batpack:
    :Refined Iron:
    :Refined Iron:

seems a lot cheaper than the old recipe. Oh and can I confirm that generators are no longer able to be made with an iron furnace and a refined iron?

cheers

agreed. at the top of the world for the most energy.

A few more tips. A lot of people use HV cable to transport the energy to the ground, as the huge 2048EU pulses get way less energy loss than lower levels, and are cheaper to make than a raft of batboxes.

Me being me would use Glass fibre all the way and have a 128 or 512 system so as to produce 0 energy losses, (depending on how large) and spend eons getting the resources needed. Knowing this I don't tend to make wind farms. How much I like the idea.

Goodluck, let me know if there are any other issues.

coalfuel, now that is a tricky one. one sec, checking wiki.

right, basic math here (very, lol) ignoring processing costs you get 43200Eus for a full coal fuel can. compared to 24000 from the basic coal(6). Ignoring processing costs. This compares to a full stack of coal being 256,000 EUs. (coal or Charcoal). So to me it looks like a better for of energy is stacks of coal, as it gives more energy per stack.

Coming back to your point I would recommend that you switch to charcoal, provided you are ok with doing a larger amount of harvesting and cooking wood, As unless you bring with you a scorched earth policy finding wood is a lot easier than finding coal (yes I know coal is really common, but you can grow trees!) A chainsaw is a good way to efficiently harvest said wood also. (makes a good weapon in a pinch)

I would imagine that you would get plenty of energy using charcoal to both power your miners and your workshop.

While you might not be using solar panels for power coal is still useful for many things, the other big consumer is nuclear energy, So even if I don't intend to use panels in a map I play, I still save it and use charcoal instead.

Return to your questions in a slightly smaller nutshell:

Coal is finite, you won't be able to fuel everything with it, including your miner and base, unless you want to expand mining operations infinitely.

No need to cave in and use solar panels instead, alternatives are possible. Charcoal is a nice infinite supply I like using. Nuclear is another, it is really easy to get 2mill EU out of each cell, if not more, safetly, and you can make a few lapotron crystals to transport energy, (1mill rather than 43200, or a 600k energy crystal)

Goodluck on the nuclear reactor.

not sure about only draining one MFSU, but I realized this concept recently myself. Just for fun i had 30 or so MFSUs in a tmi world all linked up powering one Mass Fab. 16k or so of EU/t 8) . TMIed obviously, but not a bad way to store power in a legit world once you have filled up your first MFSU, just add one more. Rather than adding them in series where you wouldn't gain any energy increase/t

you learn something new every day. didn't realize you could do it that way.

one other thing i have found while meddling with the forces of EUs, is this. If you have a solar panel input that generates more than 512EU/t it is just wasted if it is all going into one MFSU due to the MFSU only outputting 512.

my solution to this is rather than a MFSU at the central point put a HV transformer instead, convert it to EV and then back down, then you have 4x512 pulses coming out a glass fibre you can split into several MFSUs.

That is what I was assuming you said you were doing, perhaps I will do a tmi of what I was thinking.

Usually I just have one line with plenty of storage for my workshop and have my mass fab on another system. I find there a too many limitations for power management to have a Mass Fab run well on one system combined with workshops and other operations.

Edit:

couple of images, one with the basic branch, and one with the final branch for the Mass Fab.

This way you keep your high voltage all the way for max power supply (ignoring EV) and you still have the 512 system for your Mass fab at the end.

disadvantages would be the necessity for all the MFSUs to be exposed for maximum control of power

Firstly, that is a huge setup you have planned 8) . Kudos

Secondly, it looks like your numbers are sound. I don't use tin as i don't like it for some reason. Copper cable all the way ;) . However if the wiki numbers are correct it looks good, you could even have 2 more wings for 442, (or 443 if you place one in the very center), if you so desired.

With a huge setup like that you could use a parallel circuit of MFSUs, however I might recommend the following.

have one main trunk line of MFSUs, and then have branches with at least one MFSU just after each junction on each branch and one MFSU on the main trunk line just before each branch. this way with switches on each MFSU you can control how far the Eus go while the system is filling up, and once full have so much energy in storage that it doesn't matter if the Mass fab is pulling 512 as it won't be able to access the EUs on the MFSUs on each branch.

If you wanted to limit the mass fab to save energy, keep the levers on the MFSUs (just the ones on the main trunk line) on so they only give it energy when full.

hope this helped, oh do feel free to say "what...? errrr, come again? 8) happy to clear things up.

As far as i can tell using IC2 alone it is not currently possible. Although this simple thing would vastly increase industry capabilities if implemented.

As for Buildcraft, I doubt it, if you are still referring to IC2 cables, although the new 3.0.1 gates and pipe wiring might be able to do something. I can only think of vague possibilities to do with a machine (running off the cable in question you want a redstone current) producing and item being pumped out through a gate that detects this and generates a redstone current.

very convoluted and probably not worth the trouble, also Power converters and additional pipes are not updated for BC 3.0.0 or 3.0.1 so yeah ;(.

As for any other mods, you could do the same convoluted thing with rp2 as they have a detector pipe that does generate a redstone circuit. Still complex, but slightly easier than BC I guess.

Sorry I couldn't be more help.

awesome, a touch complex for my taste in an all in one system. I would be storing stuff where I could get at it, rather than having levers to pull to get certain items.

anyways good luck.

One little think, you have the scrapbox deployer in the crafting area, are you just going to pick everything up that it generates? As compared to what else you have done (planning?), having a system to sort the stuff and add it to your mainstream system of bulk storage would be child's play.

I think I will save that schematic and adjust it for my own use if that is ok with you.

calculator bookmarked! 8)

looking good. I see what you have done there with part usages. Also noticed that you used the recipe for the generator that requires a higher iron usage. The other recipe only needs 6 iron dust (still needs 8 cobblestone for a furnace however).

good work

mmmm, a resource calculator. I haven't done much on IC2 lately. Holding out for the 1.0.0 version so i don't have to change my setups.

A while back I made a solar panel factory (a post on the screenshots section of this forum), almost completely automated. I had to sort out a number of solar panels that would ensure that all the resources imputed were an interger. as you had restrictions like copper wiring (insulated) making 6 thus needing more that 1 panel to use it all. I think the number is 18 or something to make everything balance(quick example, would be less complex now with using advanced pipes).

Anyways, that was a long way of saying I had to make my own calculator (in excel, I really should learn to program 8| ) for this. kudos to the calculator.

I was just going through it and saw that you needed, to make a generator, 3 copper dust and 6 rubber for it. In essence that is true, but not quite accurate as you would still have 5 insulated copper cables left over (wastage for that specific process)

perhaps something that tells you how many you could make (6 maybe for generators) and the resources needed for that ensuring that all the raw materials were used up. This is what i did for my solar panel production.

coming back to the point. This is a really murky area. I thought I had found the issue. for the copper anyways I would imagine that it is the bronze as you need 1.5 copper dust to make one bronze. Somewhere there is an uneven number of advanced alloys would be my best bet.

would love to see this for most of the machines, save me a few headaches once everything is updated for MC1.0.0

goodluck

I send my scrap to matter fabricator, currently I am using 4 32 solar flowers for a total of 128 EU/t going into it.

From rough estimation with 128EU/t one scrap lasts for 3% of 1 UU-matter, making it about 33 scrap per UU-matter.

then times by 9 for a diamond makes 297 scrap per diamond. So take your pick for whatever system you want.

with the chances (taken from wiki) of a diamond 28/1000 (or 1 every 35.7 boxes) per scrapbox. the amount of scrap required is 321.42......

so i guess if you are just going for diamonds matter fab with 128 panels is the way to go, 297 compared to 321 scrap/ but then you get other items as well.

take your pick.

Hi guys

I have been playing IC2 now for a while and also reading this forum for almost as long.

I sometimes notice that a lot of people think the average production of a solar panel, when you include night times is 0.5EU/t. Assuming ( I guess) that day and night is of equal length.

This has clashed with the number given in the wiki for solar panels for quite some time. 13050EU/day (13056 in my test), if you do the maths that breaks down to 13050/20= 652.5seconds, and then 652.5/60= 10.875 minutes, or 10 minutes and 52.5 seconds.

This is slightly longer than the 10min for half a day and therefore increasing the efficiency slightly to 13050/24000 (ticks they generate power/ticks in a full day)=0.54375

I know .04 isn't much of an efficiency gain from what is said, but I thought it worth looking into. This changes the setup for systems where people want to run say 32EU/t for the full day, you don't quite need 64 (59 I think) solar panels for the power to continue throughout the night (providing you have enough EU storage).

looks awesome, I would love to build something this neat.

Two little questions. Without using TMI, how do you get the required materials to fully utilize this system?

And if you do get all the materials to run this fully do you put this into a mass fabricator or make scrap boxes? I dread to think how much power you would have to supply a mass fab. to use up all the scrap produced so it doesn't overflow.

I recently installed the 1.23 version of IC2 and put in a mass fab. I use buidlcraft for the pipes and found that you can only extract UU-matter from mass fabricators by piping from the bottom of the machine.

The sides and the top just remove any scrap that is currently in the machine.

I don't mind the current setup as I can still do what I need, but it is just different from every other machine letting you extract items produced from the sides.

Great mod, it has outlasted EE for me. I uninstalled it :).

agreed. I have a measly small 6 or 7 windmill farm and i am starting to have trouble with lag. Thanks for saving me the problem of getting unsatisfied with the world and starting a new world.

lol

I love all these complex ideas for what in reality is a fairly simple solution. (at least to me lol 8) )

This will probably annoy a lot of you but it is what I tend to do to counter this issue. Work out how much energy your workshop with all their various machines need and build a system to match. Either matching the requirements exactly or using less panels and more storage.

Now make an entirely different system for your matter transformer, putting in all the solar panels or other power sources you generate late game and just keep adding to that circuit whenever.

depending on your usage of your workshop you could get away with as little as 16 solar panels, saving the rest of your resources of the massively overblown nuclear/geothermal/wind/water/solar/fuel all rolled into one system powering a matter transformer.

top it all off with buildcraft piping automatically minded cobblestone/dirt/gravel into recyclers which then the scrap is piped into your matter transformer.

my 2 cent addition to this discussion.