Posts by Queue

My two cents on adventure mode:

I have always hated it, and had it disabled on my personal packs. When I play on Kirara, I've tolerated it because

• It isn't that hard.
    • I never wished to cause conflict, and other players seemed to have no complaints with it.

For me, adventure mode has always been a toleration thing. It "feels" like some sort of MC mechanic is broken with it enabled, mainly because of the tool assignments and the fact that some blocks are unbreakable that in all honesty should be broken with anything including hands (sand and dirt, leaves and torches, fences, etc). It feels broken to me, but due to the fact that it never actually has been broken, I have tolerated it.

I was so happy when a Kirara server was coming without adventure mode, and honestly Arch and I share a lot of the same ideas on pack design. I enjoyed it, and have never really questioned Arch's decisions. He has made really damn good ones. After playing for a week on HK3 without adventure mode, I had all but forgotten its existence.

From a design standpoint (not even from a "feel" standpoint anymore), I feel that adventure mode has always been a bit useless. Yes, it promotes some level of "hardcore" play... maybe? I mean, having some tools on you to get yourself unstuck makes sense... but when you do get stuck (which happens a LOT more than people think), either by your own stupid error or lag, or terrain (*cough* Enviromine physics updates *cough* ;) ), you are completely fucked.

This is where the game designer in me wakes up. Why punish a player for getting stuck? There is no suicide option in minecraft, so you are forced to jump until you starve to death. People argue that 1) you should not get stuck in the first place and 2) have a friend dig you out... but think about that for a second. The secondary condition requires the player to be on a server (which is why I tolerated it on Kirara), and the primary condition is just plain backwards.

Punishing a player for fucking up is completely okay, but when all they've done is find a bit of terrain in a randomly generated survival game in which they can no longer leave, forcing a player to jump until starvation is a hacky-solution based around a botched game mechanic. I admire what Greg has done with adventure mode, making it an interesting mechanic that works nearly flawlessly, but in my eyes it has no place in a game based entirely around fucking up. Minecraft is literally a game about fucking up shit, then unfucking that shit in a different area. (For non-native speakers, I mean it's a sandbox game).

With that said, I do not mind adventure mode on Kirara as long as some players feel it's necessary. From a game design standpoint, I feel that it is utterly useless (though maybe some tweaks could be made Greg, if you wanted to focus on it), despite being a nearly bug-free feature. I hate adventure mode, but I will always welcome it as long as there are people who desire it.

I think Pyro might perk up at this

Some people expressed confusion over food on K3. Here is a quick rundown:

• Squid, Sheep, and more will now drop meat when killed.

• Grass does not yield seeds. You must find a "garden" block, and break for seeds.

• Pretty much every food related plant can be crafted (shapeless) for a single seed, which you can plant on tilled soil. These will then grow, and to harvest you must RIGHT CLICK them. DO NOT LEFT CLICK. This saves you from having to replant. Think IC2 crops.

• As per the tooltip on each crop, food can grow better in certain biomes. Some food must also be grown on water.

• Food can rot. There are methods of storing food as to make the decay rate slower.

Hunger:

• Food will yield FAR less on your hunger bar than normal. Usually the more processed your food, the more it replenishes. Look in NEI for recipes to use with your food.

• You will have to vary your diet (i.e. eat different types of food (which you can see in the tooltips)

• If you eat one type of food for too long, it will not replenish as much hunger.

I fully support this. Individual player NPCs would end up really messy.

Funny this happens just as I'm about to hop back onto Kirara after a stupidly long hiatus. I'm in.

EDIT: Didn't Bloody have some kind of idea for a town a while back, where everyone had certain types of jobs? This could mesh with that idea rather nicely, where people can sell certain types of goods in a town, and be able to expand within limit.