[Kirara 3.0] - A series of well-made GT hardmode servers. --- Official Random Thread.

• Official Post

Since when are Mobs hard to defeat? As long as they cannot break through Walls (without having a Player being close enough to the Wall to blow up a Creeper) and most of them don't walk around at day, they are always easy to beat. And Mobs have absolutely nothing to do with the ability to break Blocks without Tools.

Adventure Mode, the same thing we had on the last Server the whole time and never failed us, has nothing to do with Mob Hardness or Recipe Hardness. Adventure Mode is a different kind of Hardness, the smart kind of Hardness, where you have to think before doing things, like in the entirety of GregTech.

And Adventure Mode is almost unnoticeable to any normal playing person. Everyone is afraid of somehow getting stuck in a hole or something forever what never happened on a previous Server.

You guys are just trying to convince us that this slight inconvenience of having to think about what you do before you do it, is worth throwing a great Game Mechanic overboard, just because you want to punch your way through the World like an overpowered Karate Steve.

• Well I wouldn't like dying in the beginning and not being able to gather back an axe, or at least 5 logs to make a wooden axe back. And since this time around will be harder, I'm kinda afraid of this situation.
    That is exactly why I asked Greg to put his forced gm2, that way I would always get a free axe when hitting a /gamemode 0 command block and I would turn back to gm2 automatically, but since he really didn't get any concrete example I gave up making him understand my mind. Whatever.
    I experienced a lot the situation in which I'm short on the durability of a pick in the middle of a cave, and I had to dig up since I couldn't find the proper exit. Well I didn't get enough durability and I spent, in average, over 30 minutes finding the way out, with mobs everywhere. Maybe less when I found some wood thanks to a mineshaft, a few creepers and enough health. Since the first time I got stuck, I always carry one axe on me. Really only beginners (And I went through this) are more likely going to end up inside a hole, waiting for a certain death.
    So +1 for adv mode, while I'll request something else to Greg concerning soft blocks.

Java script, which happens to be the language in which minecraft is coded

• I allways expected the spawnpoint to be inside the save spawntown. I tought is was made so you do not get killed right after spawning. There should be, like on the other Kirara servers, a place were you get a free flint axe to start and also some food. Then you can wait until morning and set out to adventure.

What i also would like to have, but is likely much too dificult to implement would be a rising dificullty with distance from spawn. It should be possible with mob properties, but quite a lot of work, so i do not really expect it to happen.

My idea would be like: 500m around spawn, mobs are about as difficult as in vanilla but have no drops. After that with rising distance, the mobs become stronger and more and more special mobs start to spawn. To encurage people to travel away, the drops would also get better and maybe they would start dropping also some stuff needed for progression.

What do you think about that?

Oh, and also a point i really liked about adventure mode: I never accidentally broke a machine or other expensive stuff with the wrong tool and lost it.

• Official Post

I allways expected the spawnpoint to be inside the save spawntown. I tought is was made so you do not get killed right after spawning. There should be, like on the other Kirara servers, a place were you get a free flint axe to start and also some food. Then you can wait until morning and set out to adventure.

Exactly. This time we will have a Spawn Town preventing shit from happening (not that it ever happened). Last time Spawn was just a bunch of Portals and a Beacon with an Axegiving Hut.

What i also would like to have, but is likely much too dificult to implement would be a rising dificullty with distance from spawn. It should be possible with mob properties, but quite a lot of work, so i do not really expect it to happen.

My idea would be like: 500m around spawn, mobs are about as difficult as in vanilla but have no drops. After that with rising distance, the mobs become stronger and more and more special mobs start to spawn. To encurage people to travel away, the drops would also get better and maybe they would start dropping also some stuff needed for progression.

What do you think about that?

This would be a good Idea. Maybe not the drop thing, but the rest would be really good.

• Official Post

The world spawn has been changed to be right outside the village. You can't miss it anymore.

Also for everyone complaining about no spawning tools, i'll be sure to set axe-giving commandblocks anywhere necessary. This includes spawntown and within the spawn (close to the journal).

• As long i find the village this time. A few days back i took a look at HK and found myself in the middle of nowere.

The village was not ready at this time. I need to implement stuff and make sure it can't be abused before allowing people to find it, that's why its location was kept secret.

THIS should fix the current "adventure mode" problem.

And this is the new world spawn point. You will need to talk to the Journal to start the small tutorial questline I prepared to brief you about EnviroMine, Hardcore Darkness and other things.
    And get some coins to buy stuff. The only missing thing is a food trader, and I'm waiting for SpwnX to tell me how he made food permanent before implementing it. Otherwise everything is here.
    Also, some monster hunter quests are already implemented, with rewards.

• My two cents on adventure mode:

I have always hated it, and had it disabled on my personal packs. When I play on Kirara, I've tolerated it because

• It isn't that hard.
    • I never wished to cause conflict, and other players seemed to have no complaints with it.

For me, adventure mode has always been a toleration thing. It "feels" like some sort of MC mechanic is broken with it enabled, mainly because of the tool assignments and the fact that some blocks are unbreakable that in all honesty should be broken with anything including hands (sand and dirt, leaves and torches, fences, etc). It feels broken to me, but due to the fact that it never actually has been broken, I have tolerated it.

I was so happy when a Kirara server was coming without adventure mode, and honestly Arch and I share a lot of the same ideas on pack design. I enjoyed it, and have never really questioned Arch's decisions. He has made really damn good ones. After playing for a week on HK3 without adventure mode, I had all but forgotten its existence.

From a design standpoint (not even from a "feel" standpoint anymore), I feel that adventure mode has always been a bit useless. Yes, it promotes some level of "hardcore" play... maybe? I mean, having some tools on you to get yourself unstuck makes sense... but when you do get stuck (which happens a LOT more than people think), either by your own stupid error or lag, or terrain (*cough* Enviromine physics updates *cough* ;) ), you are completely fucked.

This is where the game designer in me wakes up. Why punish a player for getting stuck? There is no suicide option in minecraft, so you are forced to jump until you starve to death. People argue that 1) you should not get stuck in the first place and 2) have a friend dig you out... but think about that for a second. The secondary condition requires the player to be on a server (which is why I tolerated it on Kirara), and the primary condition is just plain backwards.

Punishing a player for fucking up is completely okay, but when all they've done is find a bit of terrain in a randomly generated survival game in which they can no longer leave, forcing a player to jump until starvation is a hacky-solution based around a botched game mechanic. I admire what Greg has done with adventure mode, making it an interesting mechanic that works nearly flawlessly, but in my eyes it has no place in a game based entirely around fucking up. Minecraft is literally a game about fucking up shit, then unfucking that shit in a different area. (For non-native speakers, I mean it's a sandbox game).

With that said, I do not mind adventure mode on Kirara as long as some players feel it's necessary. From a game design standpoint, I feel that it is utterly useless (though maybe some tweaks could be made Greg, if you wanted to focus on it), despite being a nearly bug-free feature. I hate adventure mode, but I will always welcome it as long as there are people who desire it.

• Can we also include a /spawn command please with a mod ? This would allow us to TP at spawn if we are stuck in a cave ;(

• You have got to be fucking kidding me -_-

Edit: I'm calling for a vote:
    I think hungry mobs should either be given a health cap (if such an option exists) or failing that, should be disabled outright. It is literally IMPOSSIBLE to kill this mob, not even because we're unprepared. Nobody has the time, and no sword has the durability to take this thing down. This shouldn't happen.

Edit^2: Broke my bed in the TF and now endlessly dying/respawning at the world spawn, which is a deathtrap of fire and hunger. No way to get out so I'm stuck.

• It is literally IMPOSSIBLE to kill this mob, not even because we're unprepared. Nobody has the time, and no sword has the durability to take this thing down. This shouldn't happen.

endlessly dying/respawning at the world spawn, which is a deathtrap of fire and hunger. No way to get out so I'm stuck.

Its sounds like a minecraft version of hell itself.

• I'll wait for a config update disabling these mobs before joining again.

Java script, which happens to be the language in which minecraft is coded