Posts by bbqroast

Hello.
    I just arrived back from a stay at my Nether base, back in the overworld I hit "Save and quit to title" when suddenly the screen was replaced with the "Out of memory" error.
    This seems ridiculous and more importantly my world is now corrupt!

Specs:
    CPU: Core i7-2760QM
    RAM: 8GB DDR3
    GPU: nVidia GT540M 2GB
    Windows 7 Professional 64 Bit

This seems strange as I do have a good 8GB of RAM.

Also it's not related to IC2 or this thread but do Buildcraft pumps actually remove Nether lava lakes? I have ran one for a good half hour and made 2 UU Matter from the proceeds yet have not seen any lava vanishing from the lake? Not that I'm complaining with 40EU/t of what seems like infinite energy.

Lagggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggg
    Even a Core i7 would struggle getting 10+ FPS.
    You see each frame every goddamned block of air would have to be updated. For example heater adds 1 heat to surrounding air then the computer ahs to simulate the heat conducting to the blocks surrounding that block and then the blocks surrounding those blocks, etc, etc.
    The result is a lot of calculations. And don't even get me started on convection currents :D.

as Alblaka doesn't want new ores without a good bit of stuff to do with them.

Which is since because you don't end up with a ton of really big and frustrating g *cough*RP*cough*rubbertre*cough*s that can't be disabled because they are "essential" despite the fact they do jack.

I do think some new construction material like aluminium could be investigated (in my opinion realistic planes and vehicles should be added to IC2).

I guess there will be a 1.2.4 soon, since some things still not work as they should.

Because of that, I'm also quite sure that IC2 will need some time... the new updates provide a lot of new stuff for modders and they simply have to adopt to these changes first. I guess the actual IC2-Beta is more or less a playground to figure some things out.

It will be a small change probably requiring only a hour or two of work to update stuff.
    I updated by mod (1.0 -> 1.1) in like 2 minutes (but it only had about 5 base file mods).

I just had another idea for a use for Iridium...
    A TIME MACHINE :D

Said machine could be used to speed up time (speeds up day/night cycle, machines, crop growth, .ect) This machine would consume a large amount of energy (maybe as much as a Mass Fabricator without scrap) and would be crafted with say three iridium plates, an advanced machine block, and maybe a clock?

Just another idea,
    TheGeneralRowboat

A Mass Fab could consume anywhere between 1 and like infinity EU/t (actually their is a limit- the amount of inputs you can link up before the wire losses all in-putted energy but it is probably like trillions).

Looks nice, you should definitely get some intake fans as sucking air out of the case results in low pressure which will suck in dust (add input fans and turn around the side fan?). The i5-2500k is a great choice...
    Once again is the Corsair option to expensive? You should be able to get away with a 500 but I would stay at 600 (my server has a 305 but then again no GPU) The PSU you linked has good reviews but some bad ones two (6% gave it lowest rating possible- people with good experiences don't review as much thou) one said that he had "read Rosewill had a terrible reputation for PSUs".
    Really not sure about Rosewill overall but it is your choice- I order internationally so RMAing is very difficult.

Oh and Modular is a bit more $ also budget plugs (PSU-Cable) can cause serious issues (the first Modular PSUs were made by budget companies meaning many people still avoid them for being "unreliable").

Sounds like a pain to code not to mention a possible cause of lag.
    Solars are fine as they are right now, although the ability to add some sort of dust that disables them (requiring cleaning) every x amount of hours (set in config- if zero disabled) could be nice for those players who really hate them...

With RP2 silver that's only like 50 diamonds? On SMP with a mass fab and some solars that is no biggy.
    My scenario is running a uninsulated HV cable around my base feeding it with EV and watching with joy as he creepers try to get to me (with my setup it works out at about 0.25EU/t per block or about 50EU/t for a large 50x50 base, could be halved if required).

Defiantly cheaper but not as fun as my network of buried tesla coils. Also the tesla coils may be more efficent. They do use 5000Eu a shot but only use 2Eu/t when they are not doing anything so in the long run it may be more energy efficient.

To expensive
    Tesla coils need to be de-nerfed. I want to be sending jolts of energy at least ten blocks.

I read the first post, but seem to have been so drawn back by the inefficiency of the generators in the first post that I assumed it was a closed thread! Thank you, I am reading through the posts now.

The mark II-15 EC you've designed is brilliant! I have been a bit uncertain about one thing though- active vs effective eu. My current thought process says that every tick you're spending 100 eu a tick to produce 95, a 5% loss in eu which is acceptable in my books. So why would you use 5 cells (comparing your two designs) for less eu output, and on top of that you're losing 30% of your energy for a minimal gain in cell life (which is almost definitely outweighed by the fact you're losing more eu than you'd gain in overall life?).

::EDIT:: and thank you for the explanation of SUC, I've been wondering for days what this 'CASUS' and 'SUC' are. That actually explain a lot.

If the reactor overheats in 8 minutes and needs two minutes of cool down then it is "effective" 80% of the time. So if your rector produces 70EU/t:
    70/100 * 80 = 56
    Thus the effective EU is 56EU/t :).

Nice idea but as Alblaka said (and has said before):
    Nope.

People like you and me who do like them can get the add-on (which is in dire need of attention right now). Adding a config option for it would be a waste of time because it would still mean porting the code each update.

very comforting, I thought there was an input limit of 32 eu/t, it is good to know it is just a packet limit.

The same applies to cables as well (for example while tin can only handle 6EU packets people commonly send hundreds of 1EU packets from solar panels through a single tin cable).
    Remember it will only output 32EU/t, which kind of sucks if you have more than one advanced machines.
    Also if the transformer is powered by redstone it will convert upwards, which is kind of useless seeing as you can just put say 32EU packets into a MFSU (Unless you want to use EV :) see my "EV and Death" thread).