Posts by bbqroast

They can't just be made into blocks. A block has certain limitations sadly, and that's why we use TileEntitys. The problem with TileEntitys is:
    - They're all "containers", the TileEntity code Notch wrote was for a chest, it never occurred to him at some point in the future people may need more than just a chest.
    - Mojang is a bit lazy at times, really the pistons should have pushed TileEntitys from the start. Eloraam did it in her spare time, so why can't Mojang do it in exchange for the few hundred million dollars they're netting (they're still only at a 100 and something million euros)?

Yea but many other would use them to transfer energy losslessly and cheaply.
    And all Tier 0 (aka ULV) stuff have been denied before, sorry.

I would quite like some "light wires" that are used exclusively for connecting luminators to a central power source.

Now I have got a question:
    Shall Iuse the FTb-Pack and at all other mods I use or shall I play with just the mods I have?

I started using mod packs once. Never again. If you can install the mods yourself, do it that way. As I started using mod packs I began thinking how hard it would be to install these mods myself, when I tried it again I threw the mods together easily and ended up with a set of mods I love. It feels so nice to have a install you perfected yourself.
    ~ You don't know what you've got until you loose it - Unknown

Torch powered solars anyone?

Yes, but you just check when you get a lighting update if the light is sunlight. As for ENet you just send packets from the world time, and send them in larger chunks (maybe 6 EU a packet which is the upper limit for tin. But really there's no reason why solar shouldn't require glass fiber cable).

So while waiting for RP2 I've been mucking around on my IC2 world (awesome work on the Railcraft steam based reactors by the way!). Anyway, I've got ExtraBiomes XL and as such have a nice big glacier biome. So I started digging out a mini Hoth base. Deciding it might finally be something I could use for my base design once RP2 is released. Now, to the point. It got very dark in there, very quickly. So I knocked up some illuminators, hoping they would not melt the ice. Alas, my mini Hoth test thingy is no more.

Knowing Notch this will already be hard coded into Minecraft, but could it be made so that the illuminator lighting does not melt ice? If not, you knowledgeable people probably know whether or not Greg's lighting will have the same issues, as it simulates sunlight (which does not create ice)? Thank you for your advice in advance.

Also, while we're at it, there isn't a RP2 ore clone mod is there? I'm getting impatient and was wondering if I could start my world without it (and have the ores later).

When using MystCraft books to teleport between worlds I've occasionally been crashing with this error.

My random guess is that IC2 isn't realizing I'm on a new world and is trying to continue EnergyNet calculations it started on the previous world. The bug isn't fatal, and the world I teleported to loads fine once I arrive.

I extracted this from the forge log file (as this bug only happens occasionally) and I'll post the full error if I can replicate it again.

I wouldn't mind a banner between the Forum Members and Chat bar and the recent version box. Seems to have some free space. More importantly, Alblaka and the team deserves the cash.

I don't use adblock, and never will. In my opinion it's stealing. The fee for using someone's website is putting up with the adverts. And if everyone didn't use adblock then there would be significantly less advertising (overdosing on adverts tend to drive away users, so websites would be more moderate and still be able to make ends meet).

I'm fine with adf.ly, I normally use adf.ly links when I have the option. The exclusion is RedPower and Buildcraft. It really, really, annoys me what SirSengir/Krapht and Eloraam have done there. Railcraft has a great solution. The mod is split into modules, which are then put into one big jar and can be disabled in the config. RedPower/Buildcraft just cover there pages in the various adf.ly links. And they don't even get much. There was a competitor a while ago, specifically aimed at Minecraft stuff. The payout rate was dynamic, and I believe it could easily be much higher than adf.ly. But the advertising companies randomly pulled out support, and refused to say anything about it.

Bukkit is kind of essential for larger servers. It just is to hard to manage a big server blindly. I love HawkEye because I can see every transaction made into a chest, every block placed, et cetera, it's hardly like storage costs anything and it's nice to be able to roll everything back so smoothly. At the same time, Bukkit ported mods are way to buggy for my liking. Have any of the big Forge developers looked into providing code more aimed at server side plugins? I see Forge has a new event system, could we see Bukkit like events coming soon? Imagine that, bringing the plugins to Forge, not Forge to the plugins.

Does anyone remember when SpaceToad left the modding scene. He said he was in mind with Flowerchild in that Forge had failed to attract the attention it needed. Tomorrow, I wouldn't be surprised if Risugami stopped updating ModLoader and said "everyone to Forge!". It's a shame it couldn't be used in the official Mojang API (one of the downfalls of GPL).

Public repos on github are free, private ones do cost something, i believe you get/got 5 private repos for 5$ a month (i have 2 unused private repos left, so no problem with using those, in case i'm trustworthy ;) )
    The 100$ is for companies (i don't even know the befit of having a company account)

I believe GitHub's public repos requite the code to be released under the GPL license. Which Alblaka may not wish to do. Also GitHub isn't a silver bullet. You still need trusted people to review and monitor the incoming code to make sure it is up to standard and does not do anything bad. The time spent doing this, appointing people to do it and managing those people is far from small.

Making the source public isn't a bad idea. Providing there are clear and strict rules about what you can do with it (I propose we use the same rules we use now, ie we cannot upload modified classes to anywhere but the addons forum, etc). I have seen a piece of Minecraft related code where the author shared the code, and wrote a license next to the download link about what you can and can't do with it (the code was basically for learning only). Needless to say the entire thread was turned into a fight between the author and another person, who took the code and made a ripped off version of the plugin. The other person claimed that as soon as code was released it was open source under the GPL license (which is far from true).

Shouldn't take too long to set one up..

I've so far only really worked with mantis, are there any other good/better bts out there i should know about?

*looks at alb* (tell me and i'll do that)

Ideally it would be a website, reports could be created. People could reply to the reports, once it is verified as a bug a dev/tester could "elevate" it to the current bugs section. Here it would remain, with the devs providing feedback until it is solved. At which point it would be moved to the archive section. Oh and the submit form would have a required text and tick box. "Please enter the 3 characters that appears when you press F3 under the "IC2 version" title" and "I confirm I have searched for this bug, and found no existing report." The read out from the IC2 version would just be a random set of capital letters, the form would only submit if the string matched the one packaged in the latest version.

But any thing better organized than the current forum would be nice. For the devs, the reports should be listed by the date they were created, old to new.

Also a nice analogy. Why don't you make your server public (as in no whitelist at all)? It's perfectly possible, but it will take a lot more work on your behalf (managing the server, taking grief requests) and while you're at it make the map downloadable. Put it under the GPL license, oh and drop the mod team. They are killing your server.

Now, imagine you had built every piece of your server yourself, by hand. Now you understand what you are asking Alblaka to do.

Oh and by the way, that was such a personal attack on Alblaka and his dev team. Stop acting like its just your opinion on IC2. Also, here are some things I've noticed about Godcraft:
    - You tend to ditch people and ideas. GC City could have been amazing, but instead you pulled out support said it was boring on the forums and created a new server (which died within a few weeks).
    - Godcraft hardly updates quickly either. Your industrial server took 2 months to update to 1.2.5 (4 seeing as the transition to 1.2.5 from 1.2.4 was pretty minor).
    - Oh and lets face it. Judging by the content on GodCraft's channel you would be the first one to come out complaining how you felt everything was rushed and Alblaka needs to take his time, et cetera if Alblaka made a quick and dirty patch like some modders tend to.
    Oh and yes, if that attack seems personal I should point out this is my honest opinion. I didn't like it, so I shut up about it. But if your going to come out and throw dirt at my favorite mod/mod team then to bad.

IC2 is much better off closed source. It's your project, and if you want it to be closed source, it should be. When you make something open source it doesn't magically get turned into an amazing piece of work. In fact, in many situations (especially if you've been pushed into releasing it as open source) it may reduce your want to program it, resulting in desertion of the mod (or a slow down caused by insufficient resources atleast). Also, besides, we can post compiled IC2 code in the Addons section (I believe?) so if we ever want to do something we can just decompile it (anyone who can do something useful with the code should know how to do this), implement the changes and reupload it.

TL;DR if you are going to move towards open source please don't go GPL (it massively reduces what you can do with the code, for example, even if the Forge development team wanted to have Forge in Vanilla (and Jeb wanted to include it) they can't, because of licensing issues). Just release the source (with the current license, ie you can modify it but only reupload to the addons section without prior permission). Also a decent (public) bug tracker would be nice.

Also Kane, when I first started watching your Godcraft videos (back before the whitelist even) I enjoyed your videos very much. And I still enjoy the occasional one. But the fact is, you are very rude sometimes. You insult mod authors, players on your server, viewers of our videos, et cetera. And then the next video you'll be defending them. You fail to see that what you want, you want for yourself. Which is fine, I think that is a global phenomenon. But the issue is, you fail to see what other people want for themselves. Alblaka wants this project for himself, and he started it, he coded. So making a video about him being selfish (let us face it, that is what that video was made for) and you being some selfless person who just wants it for the people is rude.

Also, perhaps UV lights should work as a light source for crops? If the crop is not within sunlight it looks up 4 or 5 blocks to see if a UV light is there.

The whole "float values aren't accurate" thing is a Comp-Sci issue that only affects specific calculations, and its effects in this situation would be negligible (unless, you somehow *really* need teleporters to run at EXACTLY THIRTY THREE POINT THREE THREE THREE THREE THREE PERCENT!!!!111! OR DA WULD GONE BOOOM!).

I assumed it would be a very minor issue, probably originating from the fact that floats are used in graphics and other similar tasks a lot, and therefore they don't need to be pin point (seeing as most displays wouldn't even render the difference).