Posts by Speiger

Pretty sure the git server and everything else is hosted there too.

I doubt everything is deleted, but i doubt anyone can push to the server.

Also the "new" IC2Exp team, was making superficial changes at most every few months for a couple days.

The amount of work required getting it done takes so long that there has to be multiple changes per day per person to make this work in a "reasonable timeframe"

So would this explain why everything literally vanished from my base when I tried updating from 1.7.10/2.2.828-experimental to 1.8.9/2.3.262?

Like JasonS05 said. It actually explains it.
    The new architecture also includes ID changes.

And since moddevs treat them as "Uncompatible" between MC versions ids will not match and or there is no data forwards handler included.

So don't expect forwards compat.

Requests is what helps to iron out bugs and issues that arise during porting, and that's an important part of development. Not everything is about coding.

Requests doesn't Improve the Code Quality.

Requests does Improve the Feature List size

There is a distinct difference between those two.
    A public Issue tracker that anyone can reports to has the same quality as Open Source with the normal player.
    In fact if the issue tracker is in the game it speeds it up even more since the Border of submitted bugs is not if the mod is open source but how easily you can report bugs.

And QA can be much much more easily ensured with having dedicated testers that test more areas.

Unless you are actively involved with the project sourcecode access does not help in any form.

Again to the point of "Open Source is no magic bullet", yes more eyes on the project are better, BUT that requires you have these eyes to begin with.

And that is something you can either BUY, or have to HOPE that someone takes interest.

Which dedicated testers will do a lot more then having it open source in the first place (to repeat myself)

What i am trying to say is:
    Don't make Open Source out to be the holy Grale.
    Yes it provides a lot of benefits under specific conditions.

But a Closed source project is not automatically worse then a Open Source one.
    What makes a project worse/better is the coder behind it.

Open source just adds 1 more factor to it, that can improve or fail drastically.

Depending on how much you rely on it.

No it wouldn't ensure that it is faster.
    I have a few open source mods and some are really popular.
    And yet there is 0 support for porting to newer versions.
    Just requests.

Open source is no magic bullet.
    Open source is equal to closed source unless you are lucky to be in the 0.01% that gets help.

I'm sure I'm using IC2-exp rather than the classic one. I also tried the latest version (industrialcraft-2-2.9.24+ex119-1.19.2-forge.jar) but blocks were still lost. I hope a newer and more stable version could solve this. Thanks for your help!

Yeah don't expect any Major MC version Jump to be going well for your world.
    There is kinda the expectation that mods use these to refactor their code and changing things up.

IC2C for example did undergo between 1.7.10-1.10.2/1.12.2 a whole rewrite from scratch.
    Same goes for 1.12-1.19 versions.

The only thing that has multi version support in ic2c is the reactor planner, which usually even gets backports with new Encoding formatts.

But I highly suggest you if you want the IC2 Experiece to try the IC2Classic version.
    it has been well tested, is still maintained, and has a lot more QoL features you will most likely love.
    (Including a ingame wiki)

It's a wonder that Su5eD plays IC2Exp, since he views anything "closed source" As maleware.

Oh yeah,

before you feel attacked,

At least I am not creating lies.

Anyways open sourcing the mod would most likely lead just to a closed source license.

In other words: Viewing it is fine, Own forks or modification/Self distribution is not.

Nothing is wrong with closed Source IMO, it's sad if a mod dies.
    But ownership also includes the right to take anything down if they so desire, or let it die.

And that should be respected, if not then anything goes, and nobody wants that.

I could now mention something specific, but eh not worth it.
    Already know the outcome.

The Charcoal Enriched Uranium fuel cell life should be increased from 15k seconds to maybe 18k or 20k. Currently it produces less total EU than a regular fuel cell. I think that to counterbalance its reduced EU output it should produce more total EU per cell. This requires a lifetime greater than 16,667 seconds, so I suggest maybe 18k or 20k.

Yeah this was actually done. Heatoutput was reduced and burntime was increased to 20k.

There should be electric and steam versions of the component heat vent. The overclocked heat vent is difficult to use without the component heat vent if I am to be drawing heat from the reactor hull. Without electric or steam component heat vents I won't be able to use electric overclocked heat vents as effectively as I might otherwise be able to, nor will I be able to make best use of steam overclocked heat vents in a steam reactor.

This was addressed as we just buffed the steam vents by +50% cooling capacity.
    Electric steam vents drain power, so that isn't possible with the steam reactor. But a good middle ground where they are between normal and Electric vents seem to be a good solution.

And their productivity can be configured in the mod config.

The power draw of electric components needs to be increased greatly if there is to be any trade-off in using them other than possibly more expensive resource requirements to craft. I suggest at least 10x increased power draw, maybe considerably more. Otherwise, a resource-rich player will have no incentive whatsoever not to use electric heat vents because they currently have a negligible effect on the efficiency of the reactor.

Honestly, this isn't changed and while you are right that there should be a bigger downside, but honestly reactors are scaring people already a lot. Not needed to scare them more.

Also the drain happens before the EU config applying meaning no matter what you set the config to it auto scales with it.

I think the steam reactor needs to be usable without other mods. IC2 experimental lets me use the fluid reactor without other mods via the fluid distributor block. This block is a lot more bulky and generally difficult to work with than the pipes of other mods, but that can also be taken as an interesting challenge to work with as it makes arranging the blocks in a coolant cooling facility somewhat similar to arranging components in a reactor. As such, I suggest you add the fluid distributor to IC2 classic so we can move water/steam to/from steam reactors and turbines.

Fully addressed. IC2Classic comes with its own fluid pipe system that the reactor and a lot of machines can directly emit through.
    They can if nessesary also drain from fluid sources too.

Also higher tier "Steam Tunnel" that can output up to 4x 512EU packets per tick (instead of 2kEU) to help use the steam faster is now a thing.

Last point is addressed with the "Steam Tunnel"

From what i know it can not be changed.

And the Loss was disabled because the enet was still in construction in 1.6.4-1.7.x, it was not capable at the moment to handle loss.

Sadly (i dont know if that is the case anymore so correct me if i am wrong) the IC2 Team had implemented instant loss.

What that means before it was nessesary that you needed to reach natural numbers (1-2-3-4-5-6) to apply loss. So 1.2EU loss would be 1EU loss and 1.8EU loss would be 1EU loss, that is in +1.10.2 versions (could be later) completely removed. Loss gets applied instantly so the overal loss is in general a lot higher now since you lose everything instantly and not freshhold based.

EnergyLoss itself is not a bad concept, i fully agree on that feature and would be sad myself to lose it even in the EXP version.

But the current Exp Version implementation of it is just to punishing leaves no room for creativity in terms of how you could design with it.

But sorry no possebility. Unless they changed it.

I looked into the code and its fairly simple:
    No You can not add a custom Profile, it is actually hardcoded into the mod.
    Even if you change the Classic XML File you can only change recipes with it that is the limitation from that point.

No nuclear Jetpack. I doubt that they ever going to implement that since its not their way to implement things that way anymore.