Posts by albijoe

This came about because of the sheer number of motors / copper wires needed in nuclear fluid engineering. Why not have a "Block Extruder" for wires the way there is a "Block Cutter" for plates? it could use an extruding die that could run out over time, and would turn one block of metal into 27 wires (or 36 for gold / iron) at once. It would only work with tin, copper, gold and iron.

I don't know how the energy net works, but I'm going to offer two examples.

1. Circuit Breaker: Receives energy, reads how much was received, then sends energy. If too much is received, do not send energy and stop receiving energy.
    2. Fuse: Receives energy, then sends energy. If too much was received, explode in radius 0. (not sure if wires work this way)

What about a circuit Breaker, something that breaks the circuit and must be manually reset when the EU goes over a certain level. Such a device could also send out a signal when tripped to shut off reactors or perform other actions.

This is not NEEDED with proper transformer setup, but I still think it would be wanted by some.

So I accidentally rolled some plates into plating. As far as I can tell the only thing to do at that point is recycle. Why not provide another option?

Option A: compress 2 platings into 1 plate.
    Option B: Macerate 2 platings into 1 dust.
    Option C: Smelt 2 platings into 1 bar.
    Option D: Blast Furnace 2 platings into 1 bar. (this would be hideously cumbersome, though)

I like A.

I see a very complex, varied and solid mod in IndustrialCraft, and I've read up on some of the major mods that add to it, like GT. I wanted to give you a round of applause for the work you have done. Thank you so much for the work you have done and continue to do. I don't think you always get the appreciation you deserve for the efforts you do.

This goes for everyone who puts tons of time into the mods, both the developers and those dedicated playtesters that go out of their way to find and fix all of the problems.

for the record, I hadn't tried in-game yet. I did not know how MOX worked in game, and this suddenly makes a ton of sense. If MOX goes from normal to double heat at 50%, what I saw is correct; it would cause runaway heat and a meltdown.

I'll test in creative to make sure.

I decided to give this simulator another chance, and I'm much impressed. I think I did not understand it well enough to use it properly.

I've found 2 issues.

1. I can run a specific EU reactor to 100% no issues, but changing to fluid version will explode. I expect both to work equally.
    DETAIL -
    Reactor: 2306230C0A140D0C0A06230C0D0C0D0C0D14230C0D0C0D0C0D0C0D0C0D0C0D0C0D0C0D0C0D0C0D0C0D0C0D0C0D140D140D140D140D14
    Initial heat at 5,001 reactor heat
    Pulse Configuration is set to 5,000,000 seconds as suggested for no timing

It seems like anything over 4000 initial heat will simulate an explosion in a fluid reactor, something like that. This makes fluid MOX difficult to test.

2. I get an error on cooldown second 20 for the following setup.
    DETAILS - Reactor: 0003030C0A140D0C0A03000C0D0C0D0C0D14030C0D0C0D0C0D0C0D0C0D0C0D0C0D0C0D0C0D0C0D0C0D0C0D0C0D140D140D140D140D14
    Initial reactor heat at 0, but does not seem to matter
    Pulse configuration is set to 5,000,000 as suggested for no timing.

ERROR: Error at cooldown tick 20
    java.util.MissingFormatArgumentException: Format specifier '%.2f' [java.util.Formatter.format(Unknown Source), java.util.Formatter.format(Unknown Source), java.lang.String.format(Unknown Source), Ic2ExpReactorPlanner.SimpleSimulator.doInBackground(SimpleSimulator.java:255), Ic2ExpReactorPlanner.SimpleSimulator.doInBackground(SimpleSimulator.java:14), javax.swing.SwingWorker$1.call(Unknown Source), java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(Unknown Source), javax.swing.SwingWorker.run(Unknown Source), java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(Unknown Source), java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(Unknown Source), java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)]Simulation took 0.23 seconds.

I know it's bad to rant, so I'm actually semi-hoping this gets ignored. A response would be awesome though!

Ok, so I followed suggestions and moved to 1.10 from 1.8.9. Now I can't produce iridium or iridium accessories; it seems like the iridium is banned in the world, and definitely in the replicator and scanner.

I submitted bugs for what I saw. I haven't seen any action on those bugs, not even acknowledgement, for a week.

My current goal in IC2 is to get 2 fluid reactors built, but i can't even get the iridium reflectors built at the moment because I can't make iridium. I also can't make quantum suit parts.

Is there any way I can see whether my bugs have even been looked at? Is there any way I can find out how difficult those bugs are to fix?

Thank you for reading.

Everyone knows that a nuclear explosion destroys lots of blocks, right? So I made a nuclear cannon, designed to destroy only in one direction, like so. It might be hard to see, but there is a single opening in the front for the "shot". The "ammo" is one 6-chamber nuclear reactor, fully stocked with quad uranium or mox cells.

I find the cannon can either clear a 3x3 area about 12 deep in front of it, or kill a block 50 blocks away. the tower 51 blocks away was untouched. (the line of reinforced concrete at the bottom / front of the cannon is my ruler)

This would be an AWESOME siege wall breaker, but falls woefully short on range compared to traditional TNT cannons. Now... if someone can time this bad boy to launch TNT, THAT could be pretty neat! (I am not up to the task)

To start with, can you give your exact IC2 version, your exact forge version, and any other mods you are using? Also, are you using a texture pack?

I am trying IC2 1.10 and have not had these problems. (well, apart from some small items inside machines, as I posted on the bugtracker.) I am using Forge 12.18.2002 and Industrialcraft 2 2.6.3-ex110, according to the Minecraft front / splash page "Mods" button.

(Edited for clarity of the "front page")

I'm not sure which direction things get taken; this may be the wrong direction for some of this.

I notice the Iridium reflector exists; it is hideously expensive but has a key usefulness beyond the normal reflectors. What about doing something similar with other reactor components?

WHY MAKE a new part?
    1. The liquid reactor shell is under-used. It could EASILY handle 4800Hu/t or more in native IC2, but the highest heat I've seen generated by a stable reactor is 1344ish. Higher-level components means more heat can be vented and more use out of the fluid reactor.
    2. I've "blown up" fluid reactors twice now. it was underwhelming, because the fluid shell "took" the blast. The core was gone, the entire shell remained. To me, this means once you finally DO get a fluid reactor made, you lose 99% of the danger of nuclear power. I think a higher-heat reactor would mean more uranium and therefore more chance of causing a larger capital hit if it gets out of control.
    3. Nuclear heat power is the pinnacle of complexity in native IC2. This would add some additional level to that, allowing someone to gain EU to get to an even higher achievement.

Suggestions for iridium components, pick one or more:
    a) nearly infinite heat capacity for iridium components, so they don't melt as fast and allow the rest of the reactor to cool off,
    b) additional capability for iridium components, such as an even more effective heat dissipator (because the engine can run even harder without breaking, or maybe iridium is a perfect conductor of heat)
    c) larger "combo" items, like a combo "heat vent / heat exchanger". Perhaps the opposite of the overclocked heat exchanger, it moves 12 heat from the core and 5 from each component, then removes 32 heat from itself.

Here is an example recipe, based on the iridium reflector, for an iridium heat vent.

Here's the core of my shell design. This minimizes the lead needed. Basically, I made 3 corners to get the heat removal capacity I need.
    you need 140 heat conductors, 15 fluid ejectors, and 3 fluid pullers by the end. Many rubber balls died to make this reactor.

After setting this up, you place one Liquid Heat Exchanger against the non-corner port; give it 10 heat conductors and a fluid ejector in the center slot. Place a tank next to it against the center Liquid port. shift-click the wrench on a good location to point the LHE, and place a stirling generator on the orange square. Shift-click the Stirling to make sure the wierd design is visible in the same direction as the LHE orange square and you should be good.

You need a minimum of 2 squares beyond your reactor on the front, sides and bottom to make this fit. Also, Stirling generators will dump energy from any side like other generators, so you DON'T need 3 spaces for a wire to fit on the "end".

In the following image, I added arrows to all stirling generators and LHEs to show the side I shift-clicked with the wrench. Tanks are marked with a T. You should be able to get 6 LHE / Stirling (or other heat user) combos onto each corner. Tanks get NO UPGRADES.

The fluid process is: non-corner port pushes fluid into LHE. LHE cools fluid and pushes fluid into tank. Corner LHE pulls fluid from tank. Reactor heats fluid.

1400 cooling is 2 corners plus part of a third.

Here's my actual reactor. Still broken, I need more lead again :(

I made a past, "Liquid reactor Fundamentals", which tried to show what I did. Obviously, I was wrong :)

Here's my reactor component setup: 672 heat -> 1344 Hu / t -> 672 EU per tick with stirling generators. I haven't gotten to blowing up a reactor involving steam turbines yet :P
    (Link for IC2Reactor Planner V3)

Ok, so this uses 4 reflectors. They don't have to be iridium, but iridium doesn't die like the others. I try to make my reactor maintenance-free. This is the highest heat Mark I reactor I have ever found.

A temporary reactor for when your iridium blows up and you need to make more:

Only 640EU on stirling, and double the uranium, but mostly the same components.

Hm... quick question: I basically use batteries as step-down transformers. Any issues with this?
    Example: MFSU -> MFE -> CESU -> Batbox -> machines, no transformers needed! Unless I'm wrong, in which case half my base dies...

TLDR:
    I built a fluid reactor in survival! -It sank into the swamp.
    I built another fluid reactor! -It fell over, burned down, THEN sank into the swamp.
    BUT THE THIRD ONE STAYED UP!

Oh, and their explosions aren't so bad.

---------------------------
    I built a fluid reactor in survival. It was a BEAR to get all the lead, and I immediately tried to maximize its capabilities. I got it to 608Hu/t, removing 600Hu/t, and it might take an hour to eventually overheat. Well, I got distracted and left it running for something like 3 hours... the core exploded. Fun fact: The liquid shell remained!

So I rebuilt the nuclear core from a side reactor I had. I had to re-create all of the cooling components, but before too long I had a fluid reactor running again.

Over time, I made some iridium and got my reactor all the way to 1350Hu/t, with 1400 Hu/t cooling. Yay! no more overheat problems! As long as I had enough room for the resultant EU, I was fine!

So then I left it on for 3-4 hours with nothing using EU. No heat was converted, no heat was removed, heat built up and it exploded, taking my 4 iridium reflectors with it.

But the liquid shell remained! again!

I will eventually make another nuclear core, and will make more iridium reflectors over time... but for now the sheer amount of production disheartens me. It was fun to make such an accomplishment!

The moral of the story: Make SOME kind of check for reactor shutdown. Levers are cheap but not recommended for reactor control.

I like to keep up to date, but also I realize there is a TON of work to get massive mods like this working properly.
    I see there is an experimental 1.10 mod now (or at least a Jenkins thread). There is also a 1.9, and I've been running 1.8.9.

1. Should I stick to 1.8.9 due to lack of bugs? Should I move to latest version after 1 month because most bugs will be at least at the same level as my version?
    2. If I move, should I expect to lose my world? (given versions mentioned at time of writing, above)