Posts by albijoe

I've used the first one with no problems. Iridium reflectors exist in core IC2. I pulled it from "Gregtech" in the reactor planner, but it's in IC2.

I see no reason to use the 676 heat plan, by the way, unless you don't want to make reflectors. I was happy to make regular reflectors until I could get iridium.

I haven't seen any basics for setting up or using a Fluid reactor, so I figured I'd write out what I know.
    1. Fluid ports can handle infinite fluid exchange; in practice, this means 3 sides in use on a corner, 2 on an edge, and one if it is in the side-center squares of the 5x5 fluid reactor.

2. Liquid Heat Exchangers (LHE's) with 10 heat conductors handle 100 heat.
    2a. LHE's MUST exchange heat with a machine; the orange square must match up with something else's orange square or else it exchanges 0 heat.
    2b. LHE's MUST have a place to send coolant after it has been cooled; the shortest reactor distance is into a tank next to itself, which is next to another Fluid port.

3. Heat loss in a reactor has 3 factors:
    3a. Cooling from components
    3b. External cooling from coolant exchange, such as Liquid Heat Exchangers
    3c. Components fully using the exchanged heat

4. A reactor creates approximately 2x the heat shown in many reactor planners when in fluid / heat mode. This will fluctuate as the reactor runs, but the fluctuations are not significant with adequate cooling. you need component cooling for the original number and LHE / external cooling for the 2x number.

5. Reactors lose heat equal to the MINIMUM of the factors in 3.
    5a. Example: If components remove 400 heat (x2, from 4), LHE's remove 1200 heat and items are hooked up to use 1100 heat, 800 heat is removed. (LHE's will be underused).
    5b. Example: If components remove 600 heat (x2), LHE's remove 800 heat and items are improperly hooked up / only use 700 heat, 700 heat is removed. Even if properly hooked up, LHEs are only removing 800 heat and the reactor can heat up despite components "cooling" 600 (x2,1200) heat.
    5c. There may be some initial additional cooling if things are improperly hooked up; watch any new reactor for at least 1 minute, checking all components.

6. A fluid reactor must have a redstone port to turn it on. A reactor DOES NOT need an access hatch, but one is HIGHLY recommended for monitoring or modification.
    6a. Breaking a hole in the 5x5 reactor wall allows you to place components into the reactor inside, which allows it to run properly.

7. The hottest, no-consumable, IC2-only stable reactor seems to be 672 heat (x2; 1344 HU). There is a possibility for up to 692 heat (1384 HU), but this is much more expensive uranium-wise, uses multiple uranium cell types, and I have not seen a design that shows both the heat and the cooling.

672: http://www.talonfiremage.pwp.b…yzlm7bjkt7mbdxo9cq7nx5dds
    (Copy, then use "Paste URL" to put this into the standalone IC2 Reactor Planner v3)
    676: http://www.talonfiremage.pwp.b…o07q1ru2z5f8wipmn4qavj9xc

--------FLUID REACTOR SHELL DESIGN--------
    1. It is easiest and cheapest to put fluid ports on the corners. You can get 6 LHE's per corner with only 4 fluid ports, where on a side it might take 2 ports to get 1 LHE working; at best, 5 ports give you 4 working LHE's on a flat side.
    2. The Setup I use for LHE's is as follows:
    :MFE-Transmitter: = Port with Fluid Puller

:Miner: = Port with Fluid Ejector

:Geothermal Generator: = Liquid Heat Exchanger with 10 Heat Conductors and a Fluid Ejector

:Terraformer: = Tank with no mods
    :Recycler: = Regular Reactor Wall
    :Compressed hyd. Coalclump: = Air / nothing

Layer one, facing the side:
    :Miner: :Recycler: :Recycler: :Recycler: :Miner:

:MFE-Transmitter: :Miner: :Recycler: :Miner: :MFE-Transmitter:

Layer two, on top of Layer 1:

:Geothermal Generator: :Compressed hyd. Coalclump: :Compressed hyd. Coalclump: :Compressed hyd. Coalclump: :Geothermal Generator:

:Terraformer: :Geothermal Generator: :Compressed hyd. Coalclump: :Geothermal Generator: :Terraformer:

You can attach Sterling engines or other heat users to the LHE's if you face their orange square away from the reactor. If you copy this design on all sides of the corner, you only need 2 corners to handle a 600 heat reactor. Start on a 3rd corner and you can easily handle a 672 heat reactor.

25*6 = 150 sides. Assuming 2 sides per heat transfer (hot Coolant out / cool coolant in), the max per-tick heat transfer would be 7400 HU/tick after subtracting one for redstone and access port. How close but under can someone get to this number, in a sustainable reactor? I would be ok with "14,999 on, 50% of the time" or "7499 on all of the time" or something in between.

EDIT: I realized you could possibly get up to 4 out / 1 in if set up right, or even more with pulling to a tank and splitting out. I am not going to try to max this out to that degree; I'm not even sure I will do something with 7500 heat to begin with. I still want to know what someone can come up with for close to 7500 heat per tick.

For reference, I am attaching a screenshot of my reactor shell plan. I'm not trusting myself to turbines yet, so this is LHE (Liquid Heat Exchanger) -> Stirling. 2 HU = 1 EU.

The plan has a "corner" of liquid reactor vents; thus you can attach 3 LHE to each corner, saving Lead use. I have a tank to catch the cold coolant return from the LHE. Haven't tried swapping things to use 1 tank total and more LHE's yet. I also realize you can probably double the capacity by filling in the space between with more of the same, but I can't generate heat for what I have!

EDUCATION:

My setup for ejector / puller:
    Liquid Vent 1 -> Ejector
    LHE -> Ejector
    Tank -> Nothing
    Liquid Vent 2 -> Puller

And a cross section would be like this, with coolant flow:
    LV1 LV2
    v ^
    LHE > Tank
    Stirling
    |
    MFSU

I've looked through several forum posts to best design my reactor, and I appreciate all of the notes in getting things optimized. Thank you all!

I also FINALLY got enough lead to get a liquid reactor to produce more EU than a non-Liquid reactor of same construction... but this leads to my question.

How high has someone gotten their liquid reactor's heat in a stable design? A good fully built reactor shell design can pull 3200 heat per tick from a reactor. I will eventually use a 6 efficiency design, so I only produce 1330 or so. Does someone have a design to make more than 1350 heat using Vanilla IC2, not Gregtech?

Care to submit your design?

ok, how do I get energy back out of the thing? It seems to be only storing.

I have an MFSU with the electrolyzer right next to it, a tank above and below. It will make Hydrogen and Oxygen fine, but doesn't seem to change it back. I even let the MFSU run to 0.

Fluid reactors are not required in 1.8.9. I have a few reasons to build a fluid reactor:
    1. I've never built one. This is learning.
    2. I like to maximize the efficiency of my reactors. 100% additional efficiency is pretty big.
    3. I like tech. I want to build all the things.

All that being said, this is kinda impossible to build. Increasing the amount of lead per chunk would work. My goal is to have things properly set for the whole of IC; I would rather this be "fixed" in a version of IC2 than fix it myself every time a new version comes out.

Increasing the lead per chunk will be kinda annoying in my current world, of course... I've explored a good bit, I'd have to travel to far away lands just to spawn new chunks.

To begin: I am playing Vanilla 1.89+IC2+JEI, survival. My goal is to suggest the Reactor Pressure Vessel block be made out of less lead. I would even be fine if it was made out of reinforced stone instead of lead, or mixing gold in with the lead. Gold might be less minecraft-rare and more nuclear-ly effective than lead, now that I think about it.

I decided to try to build a fluid reactor... and I can't even get a floor done.

A hollow 5x5 cube is 98 blocks. Each block takes 5 lead.

The cost of a containment wall alone with no ports is 490 lead.

The cost of adding the nuclear reactor, 1 access hatch, 1 fluid port and 1 redstone port is a total of 667 lead.

1 Lead ore = 2 lead. Assume for the moment that washing uranium provides 7 lead at the point you might want to make a fluid reactor.
    330 ore needs to be mined.
    I'm using an OV miner at level 50. I've mined 37 times and gotten enough lead for 21 RCP blocks, so 105 lead -> about 45 blocks after uranium purifiaction. Perhaps 2 per 9x9 mining column, on a good day.
    This means I have 285 lead remaining to make a basic reactor.
    This means I need to mine over 200 times to get the remaining lead ore.

If each mining operation takes 5 minutes, I need to play over 16 hours of only mining to get enough lead to make my fluid reactor, and I will have covered something like 60 world chunks, just to mine. I will likely start recycling otherwise "valuable" ore to fuel Lead Ore uu-creation, because it will be that valuable after hour 5 or so.

One lead ore block takes about 10.7 mB of uu-matter, so I will only need the power-equivalent of 3B of uu-matter to make the lead I need. I'm expecting to only spend 1.2B or so, reducing my mining to only 10 hours, roughly.

I have two more in-depth questions on breeder reactors:
    1. Do Multiple Uranium cells surrounding depleted isotopes charge them faster?

2. Is the production of uranium from depleted isotopes a constant process, or a random process?

Side: Could there be a reactor type created for reactors that "create their own fuel"? I thought would be a good idea and worth a new reactor type.
    Maybe a "cycle" reactor because it creates its own fuel during a cycle, as opposed to a "breeder" reactor that creates more fuel that it uses? It could also be labelled a "UD" reactor if it has greater than 1.0 efficiency, for having Uranium and Depleted. The relevant stats would not just be efficiency / output / time before meltdown, but also ratio of fuel used to fuel produced (assuming infinite depleted cells available). Therefore you could have a true "breeder" that has low power efficiency and high fuel ratio, all the way to a full production reactor that has high efficiency and 0 fuel ratio. Along the way would be things like a 3U-1D reactor that might produce .5 fuel because the D is next to 2U.