Posts by ShneekeyTheLost

Ok, i think i unlocked gregtech based CRCS systems. Rather than try for hybrid balance, split up the plutonium and thorium.

You'll want to use this for the plutonium (can be expanded of course).

http://www.talonfiremage.pwp.b…zutgr3pjgd11m4n0myc40v5z4

Slightly improved. Two more Quad-Plutonium and two more cooling cells. Same micro-cycle time (80s), more EU output, same efficiency, and only one NR per quad cell rather than two. Also filled up the other slots to make transfer easier.

Unfortunately, the cooling cycle for one of the most efficient 4 cell cooling towers is around 640s, that means you would need 8 cooling towers to keep it running.

Since we doubled the amount of Plutonium, we can also double the amount of Thorium here. Also, the problem with this setup is there are a LOT of blank spaces here. They will need to be filled up with plates, or you would have trouble transferring the cooling cells. However, if you need a 5:1 ratio, you're going to have to do it like that, because you can only fit four at a time up and down. If you were wanting a Thorium-positive system, you could set it up opposite something like this or a pair of the single-chamber versions.

The problem with timing is how do you remove the item you want? A filter will only remove the item with the right NBT tag, so you may as well just run the filter constantly. If its not filtered, it'll remove from the wrong slot.

Mmm... Filters will tell the difference between components with damage values and those without. Generally, when working with cooling cells... if one is needing to be swapped out, generally all of them do. So you have that many damaged cooling cells in the filter, it pulls them all out at once. The retriever simultaneously pulls that many fresh ones from your cooling towers and puts them where they go, because those are the only available slots left.

Heck, that's about the only reason I use NR's in my DDoS reactors... it equalizes out the heat output of all the cells so they all heat evenly.

How do you go about removing a cooling cell at specific heat sans redpower?

Timing.

Reactor components work at a predictable level. For example, when you build a specific reactor design, you know that such and such a component gains x heat per second. So you calculate how low you want it to go, and set your State Cell to turn it off at that point.

If you wire it correctly, you can also have that lack of signal can turn on a NOT gate to trigger the Filter/Retriever setup to swap components.

Adv. Repulsions system, the old version of MFFS. So i don't have to switch them out, the coolant injector automatically fills them. Those reactors are already fullly automated on my end using a turtle.

Mass Fab > auto crafting table. Nice supply of Lapis

It costs you more EU/t to make the lapis than you get out of the reactor, so net sum loss, you won't even be able to keep your massfab running fast enough to keep your lapis topped off, much less actually run anything else relevant.

I build everything in creative mode cause i really cba to get everything in survival on SSP.

Which is why you aren't familiar with the economics involved. Try actually playing the game ;)

That build eats up Lapis at a rate of what... one per second? Plus you need to come up with a way to automate switching them out. For all that hassle, you might as well go CRCS for the same EU output and hassle but without consuming diamond chests (plural) full of lapis every cycle.

Fun fact: LHZ is a TRAP, don't bother posting them.

What pack are you using? If you have GregTech installed, a GregeTech computer has a built-in reactor planner within the game. It actually simulates a reactor when it produces your numbers, which makes it slightly more accurate than the standalone planner.

Here's your problem:

OC Vents draw 36 heat per sec to themselves from the reactor hull, but they only cool 20 heat per sec, meaning they will generate 16 heat per second unless mitigated.

The component vents will cool 4 heat per second to everything they are adjacent to. The problem vent only has three component vents adjacent, by virtue of being on the 'wall'. So it only cools 12 + 20 or 32 heat per second, but generates 36 heat per second. Meaning eventually, it'll overheat.

Difficult to get. You have to cut it by hand, or obtain a silk touch pick and use it with an arcane bore, neither method will produce particularly good yields though.

Maybe a frameship with bore attached would work, since no player intervention is needed...

Umm... Rock Cutter much? Come on, coal ore isn't that difficult to come across.

As for the fancy MFFS ore whose name I can neither spell nor pronounce, I'm not sure there as I don't use any mods that include it, but I think it spawns as often as uranium and is good for one throrium each?

I saw them as being stupid-level common. I would end up with stacks of the ore by accident. And since I never really wanted to bother with MFFS (due to playing SSP, by the time I can engage MFFS, I have no need to)... it mostly just kinda sat around not doing anything.

Oh, and the iridium reflectors. Those are ludicrously expensive.

I did mention you would have to start off with regular NR's and work your way up to the iridium ones. The NR's can be skipped, just throw in four more Quad-Thorium cells and cooling cells. I use them mostly to have an even distribution of heat.

The one I linked is much more easily stackable, by virtue of only being a single-chamber reactor. You can stack six of 'em in the same space as that 484 hybrid reactor, for more EU/t and about the same resources, excepting the cooling towers. However, having a battery of cooling towers means you can eventually upgrade to 2k+ CRCS reactors later on.

Yea, Thorium reactors are pretty good workhorse reactors. Not a whole lot of power, but generates it over a much longer time. Also much less heat generation, which makes it much easier to CRCS it. For example, this cute little one-chamber number produces 192 EU/t at Eff 6 (although you'll probably have to use regular NR's to start with). With a micro-cycle time of 715 seconds, and a cooling time of around 630ish, you'll only need a single pair of cooling towers to swap out.

I am personally NOT a big fan of steam turbines. I tend to prefer water towers, as it costs about the same in initial investment for EU output, and doesn't have any reoccurring costs. Alternately, geothermal batteries or windfarms.

We had the reactor connected to an MFSU, which had red alloy wire back to the reactor. The MFSU was set to send a signal when empty. That MFSU was then connected to another MFSU. So basically, the power is all immediately directed to the 'outer' MFSU, until full. It was never full though, as we were running a full-sized quarry the whole time.

A Redstone Signal turns a reactor ON, rather than off. This could be a potential fault source. Also, if you didn't have a NOT gate hooked up to your thermal sensor, then it would send a signal, keeping the signal on, when it detects heat. Rather the opposite of what you'd actually prefer to have happen.

I agree with Requia, this sounds like a melted component causing a cascade failure. I suspect that either a component was mis-placed, the wrong component was placed (a regular heat vent rather than an OC, for example), or someone came in behind you and shifted things around. Unfortunately, any evidence of tampering or improper placement has long since gone up with everything else in the area.

Hello everyone! I'm back from quite the break from Minecraft and am quite excited to get back to playing, along of course with IndustrialCraft². I've been reading up on the changes, specifically around the revamped nuclear reactor systems and am planning out designs already. However after much reading, I'm given the impression that dunking your reactor in water is no longer an effective means of cooling. Is this true, you now just let it hang about in the air?

Thanks for any clarification! :thumbup:

Correct, the ambient environment has zero impact on the reactor itself. Furthermore, ice and water are no longer valid means of cooling, therefore CASUC is officially dead.

Having said that, there are now ways to get upwards of 420 EU/t out of a Mk. I reactor, which beats the hell out of the old cap for a Mk. I reactor. So hey... there's trade-offs.

If you're wanting CASUC-level power output, you have two options:

1) The new Single-Use Coolant is the LZH/RSH Condensator. Granted, it'll consume about one lapis every second or so, but hey... it'll do the job. Unfortunately, the numbers state that you would lose more energy by trying to make lapis out of UUM than you would get out of the reaction. Oh well, that's the laws of thermodynamics and lack of a perfect efficiency system.

2) The 'new CASUC' is the CRCS. The upside is that you can even exceed CASUC level power generation. The downside is that it costs a LOT more. It would likely be more cost effective to create multiple smaller Mk. I generators than it would be to create one of these.

That is an outdated and no longer functional design. Your problem is likely with your timer, your retriever not being able to pull buckets out fast enough. Possible Bluetric Power issues as well.

Instead, use Geothermal plants and pipe in Lava. If you have Thermal Expansion, you can use Liquid Tesseracts to transport the lava to your geothermals from the Nether, which has a nigh-infinite supply.

Data, Data, Data. I cannot make bricks without clay. Specifically, pix plz or at least a link to the guide you are purporting to be following. I haven't heard of one that has been updated to 1.4.6+, and there have been significant mechanical changes since 1.2.5 which mitigate or negate entirely the usefulness of this tactic. These days, the go-to for unlimited EU is geothermal from the Nether lava oceans. Or just bite the bullet and go Windmill Tower or Compact Solar.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say 'you are using copper cable rather than tin'. EU loss per packet would negate their EU output entirely after five blocks.

The guide you are probably using is significantly out of date. They only produce 1 EU/t when manned with buckets now. Combined with EU loss for cables, and you have your problem.

Failing that, the far water mill is always the last one to get filled up, meaning it can often times wait for quite a while before getting a refill. Solution: more buckets, one per generator in the line.

Generators don't emit power if they don't have anywhere for that power to go to. Please check your cabling to ensure that it is properly hooked up to an EU storage device which is not full.

Proposition:

Anyone who wants to post a new design has to ALSO post the design in the list of good designs it is challenging for it to be considered, and why it is superior. Having proper submission formatting guidelines will also help cut down on the crap. These two will cut down the number of posts to be actually considered dramatically and make the workload manageable.

For example of formatting

Link To Reactor Design

RESOURCES NEEDED (including -all- CRCS Cooling Towers):

SUC

CRCS cooling tower link

BREEDER INFORMATION:

I second the nomination, however I am also too occupied with Life and Stuff to maintain a thread that busy.