[Official] New Reactors design thread.

• but i have tried to run it full cycle, reflector and uranium finished at the same time

breeder can rechage damaged uranium right?
    but how can i rechage a dual-uranium cell?

Dual breeder isn't recharging a dual cell, its recharging 8 depleted cells at once.

It burns copper faster because of how much copper it uses, 200. You'll get about 9 uranium and around 200 copper off running a miner to bedrock. So you burn the copper, you burn half a uranium (with the breeder) and now you're out of copper for the other 8 and a half uranium.

• You don't have enough lapis to run that.

• That build eats up Lapis at a rate of what... one per second? Plus you need to come up with a way to automate switching them out. For all that hassle, you might as well go CRCS for the same EU output and hassle but without consuming diamond chests (plural) full of lapis every cycle.

Fun fact: LHZ is a TRAP, don't bother posting them.

• Adv. Repulsions system, the old version of MFFS. So i don't have to switch them out, the coolant injector automatically fills them. Those reactors are already fullly automated on my end using a turtle.

Mass Fab > auto crafting table. Nice supply of Lapis

I build everything in creative mode cause i really cba to get everything in survival on SSP.

I've ran both those reactors for many hours and full cycles

• Adv. Repulsions system, the old version of MFFS. So i don't have to switch them out, the coolant injector automatically fills them. Those reactors are already fullly automated on my end using a turtle.

Mass Fab > auto crafting table. Nice supply of Lapis

It costs you more EU/t to make the lapis than you get out of the reactor, so net sum loss, you won't even be able to keep your massfab running fast enough to keep your lapis topped off, much less actually run anything else relevant.

I build everything in creative mode cause i really cba to get everything in survival on SSP.

Which is why you aren't familiar with the economics involved. Try actually playing the game ;)

• I've played the game enough that i am bored of survival, i don't use reactors to power my mass fabs just hv solar panels. I'll leave the survival playing to SMP, playing survival on SSP is boring by yourself.

My whole goal was to make a high eu output reactor and make it fully automated, both breeder and reactor are fully automated, i don't have to do anything.

If i was to find a server with decent players and the mods i like i would play the game in survival i haven't found one yet.

I'm sure if i played in survival i can come up with a better design, but i wanted to get to know how the system works nshit since i am new to ic2, not new to minecraft, i've had it since alpha.

I've played the game enough that i am bored of survival, i don't
    use reactors to power my mass fabs just hv solar panels. I'll leave the
    survival playing to SMP, playing survival on SSP is boring by yourself.

So basically, in no way shape or form does anything you do have to do with nuclear power.

• Hi Requia,

could you quickly explain for amateurs like me what you mean with "thorium positive" or "thorium negative" in your post about GregTech reactors on page 2? :)

• When you centrifuge re-enriched uranium you get four thorium and one plutonium. On top of that Thorium lasts 2.5 times longer. So a reactor with ten thorium for every plutonium is thorium neutral. A thorium negative reactor has more thorium, consuming your thorium stockpile, and a thorium positive reactor has less thorium, adding to the stockpile.

• Ah, I see. So that assumes that you have a breeder reactor to go along with your hybrid reactor? Bit of a bummer, I never touched breeders before because of the (perceived) tedium of tending to them around the clock. Can you also run a hybrid without a breeder on the side in some way?

(Unless something changed since I last looked and breeders can be automated nowadays)

• Centrifuging 16 uranium dust will get you the same thorium/plutonium output, but at nowhere near the same rate, days of power instead of months.

But if you use gregtech breeders can be fully automated. Look up the advanced regulator and buffer, they can put items into specific reactor slots, allowing you to replace both the depleted uranium and the isotope (note, this is tricky, set it up in creative first).

• Alright, thanks, I'll give that a whirl in my test world. If it works I might just use it in my next new world... although GregTech is planning on doing something to nuclear reactors in the 1.5 update, so who knows if these designs are still valid then.

• I only change Thorium and Plutonium Cells a bit, and remove the override of the regular Uranium Cells.

Well, considering that these thorium and plutonium cells are the exact thing that hybrid reactors rely on, I hope you understand that I'm not holding on to any expectations until the update arrives ;)

Unless you'd be willing to divulge the nature of the planned changes...?

• Its not as if the reactors haven't had a serious rework before, and by the time 1.5 is well supported by the mod ecosystem you'll have generated 50 billion EU (not hyperbole) off a hybrid reactor anyway.

• Here is the design I came up with:
    www.talonfiremage.pwp.blueyond…6ucaceovy6uixc92gxt2grpxc

• Eu/tick: 300
    • Efficiency: 4,29
    • Overall Efficiency, 4.07
    • Running costs: 16,8 UU

High power + efficeny, low running cost and can be easly automated since I use only on type of Uranium Cell.

This uh. Wow, 648 cooling. Can you take me through how you designed the cooling system? I've never gotten the hang of advanced vents.

Edit:Oh, I see it. The advanced vent lets you add more component vents. Shit, I need to rethink hybrid reactor designs now.

• I started with something like this, Advaneced Heat Vents and Exchangers to get the Overclocked Heat Vents at the edges cooled. But I wanted to get that little bit of excess heat cooled, so I played around with the simulator. It was a bit tricky and I don't claim to understand it entirely, there seems to be a difference between the top and the bottom of the reactor so the components behave differently there, but I got it running and I'am happy with it (for now ^^).