You are not logged in.

IC2 Experimental builds (jenkins):
v2.0/2.1/2.2 / 2.3 / 2.5 / 2.6 (For Minecraft 1.6.4/1.7.2/1.7.10 / 1.8.9 / 1.9.4 / 1.10)
IndustrialCraft² recent version: v1.117! (For Minecraft 1.5.2 → topic)

Dear visitor, welcome to IC² Forum. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Thursday, March 31st 2016, 7:39am

April fools joke.

Yes, this was an early April 1st joke.
I'm sorry for anyone, we upset, but IC2 and RF? Really?

Spoiler Spoiler

For a few months now the dev team has been working on updating IC2 to Minecraft 1.8.9. While we are still in quite early stages (We are currently down to ~1200 compiler errors, which is quite low regarding the fact, we started with ~ 8000) and are quite far away from an official release, we wanted to give you some quick update news.
Quite a lot has changed from 1.7.10 to 1.8 and we need to deal with that. To adapt to these changes without investing thousands of hours of work, we were forced to do some changes to IC2 itself.
Just to name a few examples:

Regarding UUMatter:
Liquid UU had too many problems associated with it. The rendering of liquids has changed so much in 1.8, that it would have been really hard to make it work in 1.8 again. It also had some problems in the past (mainly balancing-wise), so we decided to switch to the solid UU-Matter again until we find a way to make liquid UU work again and come up with good balancing ideas for liquid UU.

UU recipes

Regarding the Energy-Net
Struggling with the fact that Player has been busy with fastcraft we all agreed that any attempt of fixing e-net (which would have been a huge amount of work to update to 1.8 and polish) was not worth the effort. We were thinking about this and discussing about this for weeks and weeks and finally decided, that we will adapt to the RF power API. We know, this is a big change to the core of the mod and yes, we know, some people will not like this, but we all agreed, that this is a step, we would need to do for future maintainability of IC2. This is probably the biggest and most important change for future IC version and we are sad to have to get rid of EU. Although some tiles, that are already semi-functional are not fully compatible with RF yet, most of them are working. We will give a better explanation on everything once we release the first couple of builds.

Ore processing chain using the new power system

Here is a quick demonstration video .
Here is another spotlight (by direwolf20)

Here are some more screenshots showing the progress of where we are currently at.

As you can see, a lot has changed, some changes had to be done, even if we didn't like them. Some things are still quite unpolished, untested and not-bugfixed, so despite the fact, we still have about 1200 compiler errors left, we still need to fix, polish and change a lot, before we can give you a beta.
At this point, I'd like to point at this forums rule and I'd like to point out, that it does indeed still apply.

After the community already asked a couple of times and I brought up that discussion on the internal board, a "war" started inside the IC2 dev team on wether we should call the new IC2-version IC2, IC3 or ICsomethingelse. I won't name any names, but there is one person on the "IC2, because 2 is a magic number"-side and two people on the "IC3, because so much has changed"-side. I personally am on the "IC2½, because some things have changed, but most things actually stayed the same as before"-side. For now we will just call it IC2: Episode 1. Any ideas or thoughts on this are greatly appreciated.

Feel free to discuss this in this thread. Please also feel free to ask any questions you have regarding the 1.8 update, but please keep the already above mentioned rule in mind.
Check out my mods here.

This post has been edited 4 times, last edit by "Aroma1997" (Apr 1st 2016, 11:31pm)

Thursday, March 31st 2016, 7:44am

Well then, that's the biggest IC2 news in a while. I wonder what Greg will do.

I am very sad about the transition to the RF API.

Also, first!
Official GregTech wiki guy for the official FTB wiki: http://ftb.gamepedia.com/GregTech
Unofficial GregTech IRC channel: irc.esper.net #GregTech

Reika

Tree Cutter

• "Reika" is male
  • Canada

Thursday, March 31st 2016, 8:13am

This...does not make me happy to hear at all. Ditching the EU system is going to cause IC2 to lose its core identity as people demand it play more and more like the other RF mods - which most RF-using devs will tell you is The Right Way, as variance is bad and compatibility equals conformity - something not helped by the fact that EU is/was the last of the original power systems yet to be steamrolled by RF. Combine that with how asie said that ditching MJ was perhaps the biggest mistake in the history of BuildCraft, and I think you are making a very serious mistake if you care about IC2 as a mod defined by its playstyle and design rather than sheer popularity.

estebes

The guy who said he was back although he wasn't actually back but might be back soon

Portugal

Thursday, March 31st 2016, 8:33am

We still have you and greg @Reika. Both of you must carry the "No RF Torch".

Thursday, March 31st 2016, 9:24am

Combine that with how asie said that ditching MJ was perhaps the biggest mistake in the history of BuildCraft, and I think you are making a very serious mistake if you care about IC2 as a mod defined by its playstyle and design rather than sheer popularity.
Ditching MJ was nowhere near the biggest mistake - it was actually a good decision in hindsight, as it means the mod still exists and can be enjoyed. One of the biggest mistakes was probably the lockdown of the MJ API by CovertJaguar, which is the single event that created RF in the first place and caused BuildCraft's downfall.

PaladinOne

All of them are me and all of me is them

• "PaladinOne" is male

Thursday, March 31st 2016, 10:06am

We still have you and greg @Reika. Both of you must carry the "No RF Torch".

All of our hopes rest upon the shoulders of a canadian dragon and a german evil genius.

... Thank Dome the two of them get along
-A. H. / Paladin One
<entity>, Feed The Beast Wiki
Order is Progress

Forecaster

Does YouTube things

• "Forecaster" is male

Thursday, March 31st 2016, 10:18am

This makes me genuinely sad. I've always liked the dynamic of having separate systems for electricity and kinetic energy.

Unless this dynamic is kept, even if really running RF in the background it will be a great loss.

Thursday, March 31st 2016, 10:54am

Just want to know if the cables and mecanismes will be preserved like the bc transition to rf
If not, this will be the saddest day in the history of minecraft modding.
The e-net itself is the reason that I stick with IC2 and reject the use of thermal expansion, of courese currently I've been using uncomplication to maintain it's playability

Edit: Is there any possibility for ic2 to be open-source?

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "wormzjl" (Mar 31st 2016, 11:33am)

modmuss50

TechReborn Developer

• "modmuss50" is male

Thursday, March 31st 2016, 11:00am

Thanks for making a great mod over the past few years but, this is a sad day for every ic2 fan that was clinging on. The main reason why people still played ic2 was because it didnt use the RF api.

This might be the final nail in the coffin, I am going to try it out with an open mind anyhow.

Thursday, March 31st 2016, 11:14am

This is a sad day for the modding community. Its sad to see EU go and follow the herd. Hopefully other mods will spring up or will replace the uniqueness that IC2 had. Thank you for your service Enet. Thank You.

Thursday, March 31st 2016, 11:34am

Can I quickly suggest something? I don't want you to get rid of the heat-based power systems, but giving it a new name would be nice. Also, please add new mechanics to make it more interesting. My idea is Glowstone Flux (gF). Moved using molten glowstone, much like how heat is moved through mlten salt in real life. Any heat-based machinery will output Glowstone Dust which would be re-melted and put back into the system. KU should go, but keep the wind generator for RF.

Forecaster

Does YouTube things

• "Forecaster" is male

Thursday, March 31st 2016, 12:02pm

Can I quickly suggest something? I don't want you to get rid of the heat-based power systems, but giving it a new name would be nice. Also, please add new mechanics to make it more interesting. My idea is Glowstone Flux (gF). Moved using molten glowstone, much like how heat is moved through mlten salt in real life. Any heat-based machinery will output Glowstone Dust which would be re-melted and put back into the system. KU should go, but keep the wind generator for RF.

What's wrong with the kinetic system?

Thursday, March 31st 2016, 12:11pm

Nothing really, but there's only one machine that runs on it, which is a PITA to set up and does barely anything. If we can think of more uses (and a clever name) for it, it'd actually be pretty nice, but for now, it isn't the best.

Forecaster

Does YouTube things

• "Forecaster" is male

Thursday, March 31st 2016, 12:31pm

Nothing really, but there's only one machine that runs on it, which is a PITA to set up and does barely anything. If we can think of more uses (and a clever name) for it, it'd actually be pretty nice, but for now, it isn't the best.

There are multiple sources of kinetic energy. Would you rather have several versions of each of the consumers? Like one hand-cranked lathe, one steam powered, one electric etc?

Periphera_

Tree Cutter

• "Periphera_" is male

Thursday, March 31st 2016, 12:44pm

I don't think there's much doubt that EU has been supplanted by RF, because it's simplicity appealed to the mainstream...but there was still a core underground following loyal to IC2 in it's original manifestation. The majority had already ditched IC2 in favour of TE, EnderIO, and the like....so why defile the legacy of IC2 and alienate the few that still enjoyed it as it was?

Obviously, I speak only for myself, but I don't see myself ever using an RF IC2, and tbh you shouldn't have ported it if you were going to go in this direction. I'll echo what the others have said....thank god for Reika and Greg.

:(
:Geothermal Generator: Custom Modded Minecraft ~ http://www.reddit.com/r/tartarusredux/ :Geothermal Generator:

Reika

Tree Cutter

• "Reika" is male
  • Canada

Thursday, March 31st 2016, 12:57pm

Combine that with how asie said that ditching MJ was perhaps the biggest mistake in the history of BuildCraft, and I think you are making a very serious mistake if you care about IC2 as a mod defined by its playstyle and design rather than sheer popularity.
Ditching MJ was nowhere near the biggest mistake - it was actually a good decision in hindsight...

You have said otherwise in the past.

https://www.reddit.com/r/feedthebeast/co…ildcraft_to_rf/

HanakoCZ

Industry2.0 server owner

Thursday, March 31st 2016, 1:11pm

I am really sad for dropping EU. WHY you rather won't incorporate Greg's EU system???????????

Thursday, March 31st 2016, 1:17pm

Welp, I'm not upgrading.

Thursday, March 31st 2016, 1:38pm

Ditching MJ was nowhere near the biggest mistake - it was actually a good decision in hindsight...

You have said otherwise in the past.

https://www.reddit.com/r/feedthebeast/co…ildcraft_to_rf/
Design-wise, sort of, but it was RF or death for us - our ecosystem is far smaller than IC2's.

mtesseract

Tree Cutter

• "mtesseract" is male

Thursday, March 31st 2016, 2:14pm

I am really sad for dropping EU. WHY you rather won't incorporate Greg's EU system???????????
Because Gregtech 6 is for MC 1.7.10, I'd guess.
But who knows, maybe greg kept it in mind and made it so it would be easy to carry over, he's our evil German genius after all :D