A Collection of Suggestions for IC2 Experimental

• Since the mod is still heavily in development, I feel like this is the best time to make suggestions. They are provided as-is, based on my opinion and playing experience. For all suggestions made, I aim to provide an example of how I would do it; but if you like the suggestion but not my example, that's fine as well. They are mostly aimed at improving the nebulous concept of "user experience" - improving accessibility, simplifying uneccessarily confusing things, improving the fun factor and modernizing outdated mechanics to today's accepted modding standards.

1.) Replace all references to "voltage" with "power". Only EU/t remains under the new e-net; talking about anything else only confuses the player. Thankfully, only few instances remain ingame. A lot of them are replaced with either "tier x" or an EU/t figure already. What remains are mostly transformers. Instead of "LV transformer", for example, we should maybe have a "LP transformer", or a "tier 1 transformer".

2.) Remove step-up functionality from transformers. Stepping up is performed automatically by the e-net, by simply connecting multiple sources to the same cable. Setting them to fixed step down mode by default and removing access to the transformer GUI will do it. (Right now, the transformer GUI is only an invitation for user error.)

3.) Rework the crop system. Yes, potentially big change, but you can do a lot to make it more usable with very little effort. The biggest issue with it currently lies in the cryptic and counter-intuitive mechanics related to biome choice and elevation dependency. Simply removing that, and basing performance completely on the current biome's temperature and humidity, will instantly result in the whole system becoming vastly more accessible and logical. As another change, making the crops compatible with Forestry farms (again, they used to be but are not anymore) could provide an automation solution. Players can put crop-matrons just above the plants on a multifarm in order to provide water, fertilizer and weed-ex as needed.

Here's a more detailed collection of ideas on how things could work:

4.) Add iridium ore to all loot chest types. Currently, there is a chance of 4.5% to discover iridium ore in a dungeon loot chest - a roughly 1 in 22 chance on average. However, dungeon loot chests are only a small subset of the loot chests the player can find in the world. Currently you cannot find any iridium ore in abandoned mineshafts, in nether fortresses, in strongholds, in desert temples, in jungle ruins or in NPC villages. As a result, it's a perfectly realistic expectation to have to open over 50 chests without finding any iridium ore at all. I would know, I opened 60 chests without luck and then gave up and cheated some ore in.

Content gating by random number generator is a really, really bad idea. For example, you won't find any MMOs where, upon creation of a guild, the game randomly decides that the guild will be allowed to raid boss X but not boss Y or boss Z. Unfortunately, IC2 currently does exactly this - a fair number of players will be locked out of the entire endgame of the mod through no fault of their own, simply because of bad luck streaks in both world generation and loot list population. Adding equal ~5% chances for iridium ore to all chest loot types will still result in streaks of 30+ unlucky chests with regularity, but at least the player will have a chance to discover some ore regardless of which types of loot chests the world generator decides to give them.

5.) Re-tune the UU-matter system. The division by six when using scrap always results in terrible numbers that are hard to memorize and unintuitive to handle; in addition, the value of scrap is so low that making UU-matter to replicate a single item takes entire quarries' worths of recycleable blocks. This promotes (or even enforces) the cannibalizing the landscape and creating hundreds of laggy automatic cobble generators by the player, both of which are things that make the player extremely unpopular in the eyes of server admins.

I made this suggestion before in a discussion thread; I have replicated the details in the spoiler here for convenience.

• there is no voltage, Alabaka never stated that V part inside LV HV EV is voltage.
    current implementation is "frame in tick" there is no power.

stepup is frame limiter, removing it will make energy net unmanageble

system can't be revorked, it comple crap, new implementation needed.

iridium MUST be embedded into replicator\storage and removed from chests, i made mod about this, you can get it if you want.

8 16 64 512 not too hard to remember

for scrap, just change UUM cost from 10kk to something lower in config.

• About voltage: exactly what you said. That's what confuses people, because it is LV, HV, MV, and EV, so people think it is Voltage. It would be better to change it to LP, HP, MP, and EP, so it would be less confusing and more accurate.

• there is no voltage, Alabaka never stated that V part inside LV HV EV is voltage.
    current implementation is "frame in tick" there is no power.

Power is energy over time. EU/t is energy over time. Therefore EU/t is power. But let's not argue semantics on a suggestion post, okay? ;)

stepup is frame limiter, removing it will make energy net unmanageble

The energy net automatically steps up by adding all power per tick together. You don't need transformers to do it if the capapbility is already inherent in the network. Transformers stepping up have no usecase that cannot be replicated 1:1 without the transformer, just by connecting the cables.

for scrap, just change UUM cost from 10kk to something lower in config.

The energy cost is not the issue. The uselessness of scrap and the silly division of 10 by 6 is. The point in my suggestion is that it doesn't actually change total energy need all that much, and the details can be ironed out later.

• frame != time.
    frames per second will be power, but individual frames have nothing with time.

If your energy net have multiple energy sources all machines will request power from every device and burn up in process, placing transformer limit number of request to 1, your suggestion to remove transformers remove energy tiers completely.

so people think it is Voltage

Some people can's think at all, this is not reason to make everything casual.

• 6.) Remove or modernize the legacy "biofuel" mechanics. AKA the stuff made with plantballs in a compressor/extractor/canning machine row. I've seen multiple people both here and on the FTB forums being completely confused by it, because they all expect the "filled fuel can" to be filled with a Forge fluid, like MFR biofuel or Forestry ethanol.

IC2's biofuel probably stems from a time when mod-added liquids did not yet exist; this biofuel is not a canned liquid, but rather a solid fuel item, like a piece of coal (except that it returns the empty can). It's an anachronism in today's modding scene, much like watching a Ford Model T trying to merge onto a modern highway. As a result, its usage is completely unintuitive and the result is not what people expect to be getting out ot it. From a usability standpoint, it needs to go. I expect that this is one of those low-priority systems that is slated to be looked at when all the important stuff is taken care of, but have a suggestion anyway:

Option one - conveniently enough, nothing in IC2 actually creates plantballs other than the player's handcrafting. So simply removing it outright breaks nothing and doesn't hurt anyone.

Option two - IC2 could maybe make the "biofuel cell" that is produced as an intermediary step a real, liquid holding cell that can be emptied to receive a fluid dictionary compatible liquid - something that's equal to for example Forestry biomass (it's green! and made out of plants!), and/or automatically becomes Forestry biomass if Forestry is actually installed. If such a thing is possible to code, that is, I'm just making stuff up here. Anyway, this liquid could be burned in the semifluid generator at the same rate as Forestry biomass, or used with the fluid capable canning machine to turn it back into a "filled fuel can" to be able to use them in solid fuel burning generators, like before.

• I do like your suggestions, but I think you may have gotten a little mixed up with your crop mechanics. Especially the part where you propose to fix too much water with more water.

I'm going to have to make an educated guess here with what you meant by casual but if you ask me accessibility is always a good thing. Modded Minecraft is a great game but arguably also one of the most opaque ones out there largely due to a huge scattering of different mod authors, 'universal solutions' partially implemented to various degrees, and a resultant huge amount of similar but not quite identical mechanics.

En tel bataille n'ai cure de bastun, fers e acers i deit aveir valor.

• If your energy net have multiple energy sources all machines will request power from every device and burn up in process, placing transformer limit number of request to 1, your suggestion to remove transformers remove energy tiers completely.

Please quote me where I suggested to remove transformers? I have in no way, shape or form suggested anything like that anywhere in this thread.

...Nevermind, you just disqualified yourself from any intelligent discussion.

I do like your suggestions, but I think you may have gotten a little mixed up with your crop mechanics. Especially the part where you propose to fix too much water with more water.

Hmmm... mixed up, you say?

"If desired humidity is higher than what the biome offers"
    --> plant desires wet but biome is dry
    --> lack of water, not too much water ;)

• Regarding the IC² Biofuel, it's rather uncommonly used so I agree, it would be a time for an update.

Coalfuel has slightly more worth with GregTech but they need a serious buff or a new mechanic that makes them interesting.

• Official Post

Replying to OP:
    1. LV Is fine and the name is unlikely to changed. Also, Although the type is "Power" It is measured in Watts and Wattage, so it would be LW not LP.
    2. THE E-NET IS CURRENTLY NOT COMPLETE AND SO FEATURES LIKE THAT WILL NOT BE REMOVED!!!!
    3. The Crop system is currently, if I am correct in thinking this, being redone by Minalien for us. No idea what he/r plans are for it though.
    4. Iridium in located in dungeon chests is temporary and will eventually be changed. It is not super important right now though.
    5. I do agree with you on that bit though, the numbering is a little Odd. Although, Scrap does need a major buff currently since 5 Million blocks for a full quantum suit is just... EHH. Perhaps using denser materials like Gold or Uranium could yield more Amplifier.

I also have a few ideas for making uranium byproducts more of a pain, such as making them only containable in Lead Crates or a fair bit underground. If the item comes into contact with lava or fire a block of molten uranium could replace it. Not sure how despawning the item would work though.

• another way to make rubber early game.
    sometimes i have to cross many oceans and continents to find a single rubber tree.

since they can be crafted without any machinery, maybe have 9 plantballs produce 1 sap (or resin, depending on if you want to create another item).

this would require sheers, and would give another reason for making plantballs.

this is not supposed to be easy, it is supposed to be a last-ditch option until you get rubber trees.

• Sirus you missed out 6) :P

Regarding rubber early-game, would it be possible to add Rubber Tree Saplings to the Bonus Chest? If it's there already, increase the weight instead? Stickreed is a pain to get now... I've spent about half a stack of wood on crossbreeding sugar cane.

• Official Post

Sirus you missed out 6) :P

Regarding rubber early-game, would it be possible to add Rubber Tree Saplings to the Bonus Chest? If it's there already, increase the weight instead? Stickreed is a pain to get now... I've spent about half a stack of wood on crossbreeding sugar cane.

I agree with 6 and I do believe it is on the TODO list to turn Biofuel into an actual liquid.

• Speaking of fuel, things have gone in a crazy direction. The recent change to heat rates for Ethanol and Fuel are 1/4 of what they used to be. Good luck heating up any boilers with that. I can kind of see how fuel for combustion engines could take the hit, but this change is very shortsighted. Railcraft has smartly added a config option to adjust it back.

Anyway, I would like to see Ethanol a little more useful. It takes a very long time to make, and it's burned up so fast, it's not a feasable replacement or even supplement to fuel. It's already a multi-step process, but perhaps if there was some way to "enrich" it, or raise it's octane to bring it on par with fuel, it would actually have a use. I realize this is more of a Forestry thing, but the talk about Biofuel reminded me.

• This really isn't on topic of my thread though. I'm trying to suggest user experience improvements. If you want to protest the Ethanol changes, you should probably do so 1.) in a thread actually on that topic 2.) to CovertJaguar, who made the change.

• Official Post

As I stated multiple times already the energy net is nowhere near its final state and voltage isn't implemented yet. The simulation does already use the correct algorithms, but the voltage values are being ignored atm.

Machines still explode by receiving too much energy at once, but right now current == energy and currents sum up. Later on the voltage will make machines explode and higher currents just mean more throughput at the cost of higher conduction losses.

UU isn't finished either, we're not even close to think about balancing it. It's not that hard to find iridium or dungeons btw.

• It's not that hard to find iridium or dungeons btw.

Then how have I not found a single piece in two RL months worth of gameplay and over 60 chests opened, enough to get a full collection of music discs... three times over? ?( The point is that the setup as is only works "on the average". But in individual cases, low percentage values like that are incredibly streaky, and that's exactly what happened to me. And it will happen to others and frustrate them and drive them away from using the mod.

As for the rest... I'm aware it's not finished. That's precisely why I am making suggestions now, as opposed to after it is finished ;) Maybe my lack of insight into internal plans will render most of them unusable, but I've hopes that somewhere in my brainstorming there will be a few usable bits and pieces.

Thanks for the insight on the plans for voltage, though - playing with power systems is one of my favorite parts, so I'm looking forward to seeing the final implementation down the line!

Then how have I not found a single piece in two RL months worth of gameplay and over 60 chests opened, enough to get a full collection of music discs...

Vindictively bad RNG...

And it will happen to others and frustrate them and drive them away from using the mod.

Honestly doubt this, and I also doubt that it's something of DIRE concern to the IC2 dev team.

Maybe my lack of insight into internal plans will render most of them unusable, but I've hopes that somewhere in my brainstorming there will be a few usable bits and pieces.

Don't get your hopes up. I can almost bet you that many of these mechanics have already been decided on as to how they are going to be pushed forward and changed, and as of right now, only the coding aspects of implementation and bug testing remain. While some values and numbers may have yet to be agreed on within the team, the overall changes have been decided and need only code-work to be preformed in order to be brought into the game...

Would anyone like to try a Slowpoke Tail?! Only 1 Million Yen!

this isn't about arrogance or ego, I have a block that I put a lot of freaking work into

Every Mod Author, in existence. And yet, you STILL say otherwise.

• 3. If only it could be made compatible with forestry and let you get pollen from bees that could be manually used to crossbreed plants.
    4. glad to hear that
    5. perhaps a scrap gen rate setting the config file? this way servers can set it to low (or even turn cobblestone->scrap off) to counter cobblestone generators in MP.
    I just wish the quantum armor could be used to counter the radiation better, right now it is a pain. any thoughts to a Geiger counter? that way we'd get some warning before getting burned.