The new 5x5 IC² Reactor

• That mass of machines...it's beautiful @_@

This reminds me why I used to play Minecraft heh. I've always wanted to build bases and setups like that but I guess I just got bogged down and burnt up because of the modpack frenzy >.>

Maybe I'll come back some day...

Now you see me, now you don't...

• All that amazing industry just to emulate what a single MOX reactor can do :(

I'm really hoping to revisit IC2 nuclear if it ever gets balanced.

• I sometimes stopped playing for few weeks , but always returned. Now i'm planning to launch well funded project of my own - maybe as part of minecraft, maybe something better- but for sure i'll invite every good modder out there to participate and contribute not for just money :)

Inteligence is not everything - wisdom is more than that.
    "Survival is survival dammit.. don't give me this stinky cheated diamonds.. .. or else.." - by unknown hero

• rebuilt my microcycle reactor as the main ic2 powerplant for my base (secondary is treefarm + 2 ethanol RC boilers with RC turbines)

so far its ran though 6 cycles without issue from the reactor. the steam kinetic generators however dont seem to like EIO conduits for steam transfer. sometimes fucks up a quick wrench remove and replace fixes that though

control system has two limiting factors to the main duty cycle of 40s on 38s off.
    If the AFSU is getting full it shuts off at the next cycle end, and goes cold until the AFSU goes under 800mil then it starts up again
    If the cold coolant drum gets below 32 buckets the system instantly shuts off and resets with a 78s cooloff to give time for the steam system to use up some of the buffered hot coolant then starts another microcycle as normal.

Since the system produces more heat than the steam generators use this happens every now and then as a normal operation. (1600hu usage and around 1680 average output on the reactor after the duty cycle)

The steam system has 8 boilers producing 100mb/t of super-steam transferred via EIO conduits to 3 kinetic turbines 2 superheated steam each getting 400mb/t and 1 normal steam in the middle getting 800mb/t, each super heated turbine makes 400eu/t and the secondary turbine makes around 399eu/t theres also two condensers with 4 heat vents each above and below the secondary turbine.

a extra utilites item transfer node keeps the kinetic generators stocked with fresh turbines as they fail

Theres 256 buckets of coolant in the system with a pair of drums for buffer, also a drum worth distilled water for buffer and i top it up with another 10-20 buckets from the solar distiller outside my base every 24 hours or so.

next to the fuel chest is a button that sets a state cell to stop the flow of hot coolant on a manual start to allow a small buildup in the hot buffer drum so the steam system goes straight to superheated steam once flow resumes instead of fluctuating while the system builds a buffer

i manually process the uranium for now from a chest with item conduit that refills and pulls out spent fuel, once i use up all my uranium il be running cold mox in this system until i get enough plutonium for a 60k cell CRCS EU mox reactor + cooling towers using applied energistics for the cell transfer

• pics or it didn;t happen ;) found :P - i wonder how it is made in practice - is this survival or creative ? If survival then you are mad or crazy (whatever fits best) what if this explodes ? - afsu going trashed with a lot of other stuff ? :D or it is single player with "i can roll back" scenario :D

What mod it is - i use only ic2 and buildcraft ;) with wired logics as here :

"Survival is survival dammit.. don't give me this stinky cheated diamonds.. .. or else.." - by unknown hero

Edited once, last by VirMan ().

• Official Post

Inspirational.

145 Mods isn't too many. 9 types of copper and 8 types of tin aren't too many. 3 types of coffee though?

I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realise that what you read was not what I meant.

---- Minecraft Crash Report ----
    // I just don't know what went wrong :(

I see this too much.

• my setup is beyond one chunk for sure - i use chunkloaders from railcraft. About server- same setup type. Anyway i think error or glitch or anything and you are screwed :P I tried to interface mffs with current ic2 but it won;t work.

So your logics are redpower based ? - those barrels and nice triggers and etc ?

what is name of turret mod - is it for 1.7.10 ?

• Two questions though regarding the reactor:

1. The reactor GUI shows heat output units in hU/s. Is it actually hU/t and do we just for all intents and purposes treat it as hU/t?

2. Just to confirm: 1hU turns 1mB of coolant into hot coolant?

• Two questions though regarding the reactor:

1. The reactor GUI shows heat output units in hU/s. Is it actually hU/t and do we just for all intents and purposes treat it as hU/t?

2. Just to confirm: 1hU turns 1mB of coolant into hot coolant?

1: its Hu per "reactor tick" and thats per second, so the actual per minecraft tick is 1/20th of that (not counting a tps drop due to server load)

2: yup, a 800 hu/s reactor needs 800 mb/s of fluid transfer on hot and cold coolants to keep up with the reactor, thats 40mb/t

• sry, seems like i wrote half the statement only in my head... :S

well that's how i try it:
    http://imgur.com/a/py3SW

the first picture shows thermal monitors on the different reactor blocks (missing color -> no contact to reactor).
    the second picture simply shows, that it is not completely broken for me.

I am aware, that you are using Remote Thermal Monitors, but for some reason i never got my way with those...

• Hello, I've been playing around with the new reactor too, but there are a few things that aren't clear to me. I come here in search of the internet's mighty wisdom, please o-mighty Internet, answer my questions.

First of all, I noticed that the reactor has to output spot on k*20 Hu/t, because each heat conductor adds 20 Hu/t exchanged, otherwise the heat exchangers can't decide who gets what percentage of heat available and the a part of the steam generators end up flickering between superheated steam and normal steam. Is there a way around this?

Another problem is that if you use heat exchangers, your reactor's heat output will fluctuate and the same thing as described above could happen, unless maybe if you'd preheat some coolant, but that's not reliable and normally the heat output doesn't only fluctuate, but also rises slowly over time. Halp?

And finally, last week, I blew up my reactor. Thankfully, I made a backup before that happened.
    It was a wonderful day, the sun was shining and I was at home, setting up my new nuclear reactor. As soon as I finished, I switched it on, tracked it's progress for a bit, and then went afk for a bit. In about 15 minutes, I noticed my reinforced reactor room had been cleaned out. Somebody robbed me and took my nuclear reactor! Oh.. wait.. no.. after further inspection, I found out that steam and superheated steam clogged up my fluid regulator and all the distilled water built up in one of them and an x amount of steam generators failed, ultimately overheating the reactor and cleaning out the room.
    So... is there another way? I tried using buildcraft's pipes but they don't seem to work well, especially with the steam generator, making him leak al his distilled water everywhere. Not to mention I can't use diamond pipes to separate steam from distilled water.

Oh, and that's another thing! Sometimes the kinetic steam generators output distilled water instead of steam, which is why I have them hooked up to the fluid regulators as well as the condenser which is the reason they clogged the regulators. It seems sometimes they output steam and superheated steam to the next generator/condenser and sometimes to the regulator.

So, I think that's all I have to say.
    Also, here's my setup:

• Official Post

The flickering heat generation can be fixed by making sure for the steam generators that are making super heated steam are set to 220 bar, and have enough heat exchangers connected (2 or 4 depending on the output) and the rest of the heat goes into normal steam, but increasing the pressure still makes it want more heat, meaning you can take the excess out by having a heat exchanger that isn't quite receiving enough hot coolant. I think that'll work, but reactor designs with multiple of 20 hU are the best solution really.

Buildcraft pipes can work fine, it's all down to the piping. EnderIO Ender fluid conduits work well simple because the fluid transfer is instant. It's all down to setup and what mods you have.

Kinetic Steam Generators occasionally output distilled water instead of steam on world load, mainly down to very hard to produce bugs. The best thing to do is what you described of just having a way to get the distilled water out of the system. Having a condenser touching it assures you don't lose any water to steam explosions too.

5x5 Reactors are patchy, and it's often down to setups to determine how well they work. Keep trying though, they're really rewarding once stable.

145 Mods isn't too many. 9 types of copper and 8 types of tin aren't too many. 3 types of coffee though?

I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realise that what you read was not what I meant.

I see this too much.

• 5x5 Reactors are patchy, and it's often down to setups to determine how well they work. Keep trying though, they're really rewarding once stable.

Are they though? I thought they were at best equivalent so a substantially simpler (mindless) MOX system still. Has there been improvements recently that I missed?

• Official Post

Not sure when you stopped looking, so I have no idea :P

I see this too much.

• Not sure when you stopped looking, so I have no idea :P

Ok lemme just rephrase the question :)

Is there a reason other than "its new and different!" to build the 5x5 as opposed to MOX?

MOX Pros:
    ----------------
    * Very quick and mindlessly simple to build
    * Produces lots of power (~1000 eu/t)
    * Consumes little/no fuel (I believe it actually breeds plutonium)

MOX Cons:
    ---------------
    * Overpowered
    * Unrealistic (maintains heat levels in perpetuity)

5x5 Pros:
    ---------------
    * ...Its neato?
    * Its more realistic?
    * It can create decent power?

5x5 Cons:
    ---------------
    * Requires a lot of block rotating with shitty IC2 wrench mechanic (all hail Greg's superior wrench mechanics)
    * Considerably more complicated (I don't want to hear how simple it is with practice. Its relatively more complicated, period)
    * Little value considering the extra work involved

• Okay, so, thank you for the reply, I've done some further experimenting, and came to the conclusion, that the main problem now is a bit buggy.
    I am now using BC pipes to move the distilled water around but whatever I connect to the steam generator, it just can't resist the urge to clog it up with steam. What I mean is, I have the two kinetic steam generators one after the other and then a condenser and from there a fluid pipe to the X block (I've tried pipes, fluid regulator, fluid distributor, can't think of anything else) but the steam generator just violently spews out all it's liquids wherever it can. Also, I always have it on at 1mb/tick and on one side of the reactor, there is 50mb of water constantly stuck in the 2nd kinetic steam generators, this also goes for the steam spewing problem. They only do it on one side. I also built another test reactor, and that one works, I figured it's because it is differently rotated. I'm guessing it has to do with how the game checks which "the first valid side" is. The easiest way to fix this would probably be to have a fluid ejector upgrade for steam generators.

• Okay, so, thank you for the reply, I've done some further experimenting, and came to the conclusion, that the main problem now is a bit buggy.
    I am now using BC pipes to move the distilled water around but whatever I connect to the steam generator, it just can't resist the urge to clog it up with steam. What I mean is, I have the two kinetic steam generators one after the other and then a condenser and from there a fluid pipe to the X block (I've tried pipes, fluid regulator, fluid distributor, can't think of anything else) but the steam generator just violently spews out all it's liquids wherever it can. Also, I always have it on at 1mb/tick and on one side of the reactor, there is 50mb of water constantly stuck in the 2nd kinetic steam generators, this also goes for the steam spewing problem. They only do it on one side. I also built another test reactor, and that one works, I figured it's because it is differently rotated. I'm guessing it has to do with how the game checks which "the first valid side" is. The easiest way to fix this would probably be to have a fluid ejector upgrade for steam generators.

No idea if this applies to you, but the last time something similar happened to me it was because I had too much water in the system. The trick was to reduce the amount of distilled water I was feeding in.