Some questions, and looking for suggestions on which mods I should use now.

• Official Post

100 hU from electric heat generator, 1 mb/t and 0 bar on the steam generator, a steam turbine + ejector upgrade and a condensator. You will receive distilled water on both turbine and condensator.

100 hU/t gen -> steam gen -> turbine -> condensator

• Thanks, sometime after I asked, I found a forum post about the 100 hU, 1 mB/t and 0 bar, but I hadn't known about the steam turbine (or do you mean the kinetic steam generator? I checked in creative mode and I can't place a steam turbine as a block). However, I finished making the overclocker upgrades I wanted, and I have pipes full of distilled water, so it might be a while before I need to make more.

I had to make new steam generators a couple of times after leaving them unattended, though. For reference, is there a way to auto-detect when a steam generator reaches 100% calcification so I could make it cut the power to the electric heat generator before the steam generator gets destroyed?

• Okay, I ran into some annoying bugs in Millenaire 6.0.0pb2 (one stage of a creation quest got stuck at 24/25 progress, and later an inter-village raid seemed to get stuck with the raiders still there several Minecraft days later, rather than finishing as a success or failure; edit: there was also a lumberjack in a lone building who continued to respawn even after I used a wand of negation on the building, and he continued to try to plant saplings in midair after I'd cleared a large area (which included that building) down to sea level), so I'm again re-adjusting mods. There is apparently a beta version of Forge for MC 1.8, but too few of the mods I'm interested have updated to 1.8 yet, so I'm sticking with 1.7.10 for now, and Forge build 1232 (since build 1233 apparently introduced a strange conflict with Optifine that makes a lot of mod-added blocks disappear or even act like x-ray blocks)

Here are the mods I'm fairly sure I'll be including:
    Advanced Genetics
    Applied Energistics 2
    BedrockLayer
    BuildCraft
    Forestry
    GenDustry
    IndustrialCraft 2 Experimental
    MapWriter
    Mouse Tweaks
    NEI Addons
    NEI Plugins
    Not Enough Items
    Optifine
    Peaceful Plus
    Railcraft
    Too Much Loot
    Too Much Rain
    Treecapitator
    Waila
    Waila Harvestability
    Wawla
    World State Checkpoints

There are also some mods I'm having trouble deciding about now:
    Advanced Solar Panels (possibly as a way to get iridium (somewhat depending on the results of the poll I posted about that), possibly as a way to get power, though there are alternatives for both of those)
    Compact Solars
    GregTech (I've got a different monitor now, so the black granite might not be such a big deal, and if I remember to think of it as more of an overhaul than an add-on to IC2, I might be better able to accept the nerfs, disabled recipes, etc.)
    Tinkers' Construct (I liked the idea of the knapsack from this mod, but I've decided I like Forestry backpacks better; the gravel ores and oreberry bushes might still be good, though)
    Twilight Forest (mainly for the uncrafting table, which provides an alternative way to get silk wisps for Forestry backpacks, and would allow me to convert Railcraft steel armor and tools that I find in village/dungeon chests into steel ingots)

Some suggestions regarding what to enable or disable in the configs for some of these mods would be good too.

• No replies after 4 days? Have people put this thread on an ignore list?
    Anyway, just in case anybody cares, I did some more research and decided to go ahead and give GregTech another chance, and I skipped the other 4 from my uncertainty list (though I could add them later if I find a need for them, since none of those are heavily reliant on worldgen blocks in the overworld). I think I kept the GregTech config mostly at defaults, except that I disabled explosions from rain, and I disabled most of the worldgen stuff from mods besides GregTech, except for AE2 certus quartz, since I had read that GregTech certus quartz wasn't usable in AE2 recipes. I also disabled most of the BC/AE2 facades, since they tended to clutter up NEI and I had no real interest in using them, and I deactivated the NEI display of mob spawners, since they tended to cause lag when I was sitting on the inventory screen with the NEI search bar empty.

• Official Post

New beta Optifine fixes compatibility with Forge 1240 (and probably from 1233), so you could update Forge further if you wanted/needed to.

145 Mods isn't too many. 9 types of copper and 8 types of tin aren't too many. 3 types of coffee though?

I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realise that what you read was not what I meant.

---- Minecraft Crash Report ----
    // I just don't know what went wrong :(

I see this too much.

• Okay, I've decided to consider Advanced Genetics and Peaceful Plus overpowered, and I'm adding GregTech and Thaumcraft plus some cross-functionality mods, so now I have the following jar files in my mods folder:

appliedenergistics2-rv2-beta-8.jar
    bdlib-mc1710-1.6.5.52.jar
    buildcraft-6.4.1.jar
    CodeChickenCore-1.7.10-1.0.4.29-universal.jar
    ExtraCells-1.7.10-2.2.55b85.jar
    forestry_1.7.10-3.4.0.7.jar
    gendustry-mc1710-1.4.8.65.jar
    gregtech_1.7.10-5.07.07.jar
    industrialcraft-2-2.2.684-experimental.jar
    magicbees-1.7.10-2.1.22.jar
    mapwriter.2.1710.1.jar
    MouseTweaks-2.4.4-mc1.7.10.jar
    neiaddons-mc1710-1.12.4.16.jar
    NEIIntegration-MC1.7.10-1.0.7.jar
    NotEnoughItems-1.7.10-1.0.4.83-universal.jar
    OptiFine_1.7.10_HD_U_B5.jar
    Railcraft_1.7.10-9.5.0.1.jar
    Squeedometer-mc1.7.x-1.0.3.jar
    Thaumcraft-1.7.10-4.2.3.5.jar
    thaumcraftneiplugin-1.7.10-1.7.jar
    thaumicenergistics-0.8.9.0b-rv2.jar
    ttCore-MC1.7.10-0.1.0-67.jar
    Waila-1.5.9_1.7.10.jar
    WailaHarvestability-mc1.7.x-1.1.2.jar
    WAILAPlugins-MC1.7.10-0.0.1-13.jar
    Wawla-1.1.1_1.7.10.jar

I have a few questions as well:
    1. Does anybody have suggestions for config changes (beyond the simple disabling of redundant ores) I could make to improve balance between GregTech and other mods? I'd prefer to hold off on making/downloading MineTweaker scripts for now, but I'm willing to edit the config files for mods
    2. I've played ThaumCraft a bit by itself in a separate instance under MultiMC, and I noticed that mining shards from infused stone works with just a wooden pickaxe, yet GregTech allows them to be used to make level 3 or even 4 pickaxes, which seems a little overpowered, given that GregTech ores usually require a matching-level pickaxe, unless they're small ores, which can be mined with the next lower tier. Is this something I should be concerned about, or does it become insignificant later in the game? (e.g by high-tier electric tools from GregTech overshadowing the shard-based pickaxes or by shards becoming more valuable to use for Thaumcraft activities instead)

Edit: I've also re-noticed the "hideSecretRecipes" option in IC2.ini, which I had a couple of questions about:
    3. Is there a "legitimate" way a player could discover the hidden recipes? experimenting with the old item-form uu-matter recipes wouldn't have been too bad, since assuming no other items were used in the recipes, that would only be 511 possible arrangements, but for other things, the number of potential recipes becomes overwhelming (e.g. for 300 possible items, 1.9e21 potential recipes)
    4. The "First Steps" tutorial (http://wiki.industrial-craft.n…itle=Tutorial:First_Steps) shows the tin bucket recipe and bronze rail recipe, so why are those two still hidden from NEI/Craftguide by default?

Edit #2: scratch question 2 above. I hadn't noticed that the shard-based pickaxes now require thaumium rods.

• For my next world, I'm considering using the following mods (and spending some time on configs and Minetweaker scripts before starting the world):

Please let me know your thoughts on this mod list, such as advice on configuration options, suggested additional mods, or if there are conflicts or severe game-balance issues with these mods that I missed, thanks.

• Official Post

I might suggest you taking a look on IC2 addons maybe.

IHL and Nuclear Control are the ones I can suggest.

Also, if you are really bothered about losing stuff to a TC node, you can use gravestones or something of the sort.
    Even /gamerule keepInventory true if you're feeling so.

• Nuclear Control was already in that list (the spoilered list, not the post from February). I don't know if I'll actually make use of its features, but I see no harm in including it.

I was on the fence about IHL until I took another look at the wiki picture under "Gregtech integration" and noticed that it makes it possible to obtain nitrogen from compressed air. I'll go ahead and use the mod.

As far as Thaumcraft, I'm also concerned about the dungeon mounds (which seem unbalanced for peaceful mode, since they're easier to find than normal dungeons and tend to have more treasure iirc) and tainted land, and I don't see a lot of benefit to it, since it seems like for most things that can be done by magic in thaumcraft, there's also a way to do something similar using the tech mods from my list. (in fact, the "getting started" guide for Thaumcraft even describes it as an "alternative to more technology oriented mods", rather than as being complementary to them)

• Also, I suggest you adding Project E, but with my tweaks, I can send you the link to my tweaks, basically, it makes project E the END GAME, requiring you having latest IC2 and GT technology ( uu matter, iridium reinforced plates, neutronium... ) to create a catalyser which can be used to create alchemical diamonds ( 1 diamond + 1 nether star ) that replaces all the diamonds in the mod, and blocks of diamonds ^^ It cannot be rebalanced further xD It will already endgame with all the stuff you want once you have Project E available in the tech tree ^^

• Official Post

Cheat everything. Like EE2 but with EE3's automatic EE3 value calculations.

145 Mods isn't too many. 9 types of copper and 8 types of tin aren't too many. 3 types of coffee though?

I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realise that what you read was not what I meant.

I see this too much.

• I haven't used EE or any of its replacement mods, so I'll take your word for that, unless Mine_Sasha can provide sufficient logic to convince me otherwise.

Also, I decided to spend some time adjusting local copies of scripts from the GitHub repository mentioned on the "Let's Greg Other Mods" thread. I'm not good at coming up with recipe ideas on my own, but I think I've dealt with the following two issues I noticed with them:
    1. Some of the recipes involved items from mods I'm not using - I came up with alternative components for some, but for others I just removed the custom recipe.
    2. Usages of GregTech tools (e.g. file, hard hammer, screwdriver) were missing "transformDamage", which if I'm not mistaken would make the recipes consume the tools regardless of how much durability they had left. I set those recipes to do 100 durability damage to the tools instead of consuming them.
    I have attached a zip of the 9 scripts I changed, in case anyone wants to review them.

The scripts for Carpenter's Blocks, Extra Bees, and Extra Cells didn't seem to have either of those issues, so I plan to use them as they are.

I think there are also some mods in my list without matching scripts in that repository. If someone can provide the ideas for "gregged" recipes for those mods, I think I could write Minetweaker scripts to implement them.

• My argument is my nerfing tool ;P Which makes, again, project E the last end game tier, after NEUTRONIUM, is argument enough ? So by the time you get there, you will probably have a near infinite amount of everything before starting it ;P ^^

• Official Post

So instead of being overpowered, it becomes redundant?

Basically yes. By the time you can do anything you've already done everything.

I see this too much.

• Well, it's still a tier, I mean, like in GT, past HV, everything else becomes redundant, but if you manage to get to the alchemical tier, you get powerless invincibility, the ability of transmutation, very nice items and utilities, generate ressources slowly but at least passively, and get to have a new challenge, get to actually finish project E, because with my nerfs, it might take a while ( not that it will be grindy, but it will be long because there is a lot of small steps, like the other tiers ^^ ).