So just how bloody rare is iridium anyway?

• The only thing I have not yet managed to do is build a quantum suit and iridium drill, and this is only because I can't find any iridium. I have looted dozens of chests between several dungeons and two sprawling nether fortresses, and even stumbled onto one of the overworld fortress things with the end portal while looking for more dungeons. Just how low is the probability of this stuff spawning in a chest? I'm kind of getting tired of running all over the world blasting holes in the ground with my mining laser on long range and diving in for a quick peek with the jetpack just to search for more dungeons. At this point I don't have any use for the iridium drill anyhow.

• The percentage rarity depends a lot on how many other mods you have that add loot to dungeons and strongholds, because they're specified as weights for the random generation, but I can tell you some relative rarities. I looked at my TooMuchLoot config (which iirc I haven't modified from initial generation), and by default iridium appears (in stacks of 1-2) about 1/5 as often as tin ingots in dungeon chests, but 20 times as often as golden apples (golden apples have weight 1, iridium has weight 20, tin has weight 100). In stronghold chests iridium has weight 1, and appears in stacks of 1-4 in the stronghold corridor chests, and stacks of 1 in the stronghold crossing chests.

• Another alternative is to install Advanced Solar Panels and build the molecular converter, which can use 9 million EU to convert an iron ingot into an iridium ore piece.

Edit: apparently Advanced Solar Panels conflicts with Millenaire, so I installed Iridium Mod. However, as far as I could tell, my attempts to use World Generation Manager to re-run the world generation from Iridium Mod for chunks I had already visited didn't work, so I'll have to find some chunks I haven't visited before.

Second Edit: I'm having trouble confirming that Iridium Mod v0.7 actually works even with a new game, and I've posted in that thread about it. (HappySpanker, are you maybe using an older version of Iridium Mod?)

• The only other mod I run is a map mod. Maybe I've just been really unlucky -- I've found several chests with copper and tin ( I think ), even one with a bunch of canned food, just no iridium yet.

Why can't mods add things to nether fortresses? That kind of sucks... I assumed they would be more likely to spawn it.

• OR just change how often it spawns in chests with http://www.minecraftforum.net/…providing-complete?page=2 TooMuchLoot

I used that mod to add Plutonium to dungeon chests 8)
    But yeah, you can add ANY item to ANY generated chests with that mod!

This is what my Plutonium mod looks like:

[
    {
    "category":["dungeonChest"],
    "item":"IC2:itemPlutonium",
    "weight":40,
    "min_count":1,
    "max_count":2
    },
    ]

Just put that into a txt file, and rename the extension to .json add it to the "loot" folder and your good to go.

• i couldn't make post in gregtech are,so i'll ask here,im playn Resurrection modpack with GT5 on a server,i'm at the point that i need to make osmium to be able to progress further in the tech three,the only way to get osmium is to process iridium ore (gt5 one,ic2 iridium found in dungeons dont have byproducts).
    I flyed in the end for at least 10h during last week getting to coordinates -13k -14k (spawn is at about +100 -100) and found so far only 200 iridium and a lot of it from small ores resulting in only 34 osmium (i think i found only 2 veins,half stack each of iridium) and i need at least double to be able to syntetize it with uu matter.
    Im missing something?any particular spawning conditions?

• I wounder, what will happend with neutronium? I guess just like irridium will be completely synthetic and exceptionaly rare material. It can be used as curancy since it's so hard to obtain in any way.