(survival) My First 5x5: BioGas, ~900EU/T, self feeding. 10 Uranium Rods Stable

• oh, I thought you were referring to Liquid Heat Exchanger>Stilring. But I'm afraid you're mistaken about Semi-Fluid Generators. They produce 16Eu/T.

What about lava? I imagine it does not yield as much power through a liquid heat exchanger as it does through geothermal power plants (particularly with that 50% boost for piping).

Edit: removed a statement I'm unsure is true

• Lava was 10k EU a bucket in my tests that way, which i think is terrible? (I was testing for its heat content for other purposes, trying to figure if the fermenter might have different efficiencies at different heat levels and that's why your EU is over expectation, that's not it).

If the semifluid is 16 that's even better then, how the heck did I get 8?

• Before I switch to your superior component configuration I'm going to try one more crack at superior fluid distribution. Once I get a bunch of iron logic gates I'm going to make at least two dozen more (to be sure) semi fluid generators. Then attach to each generator's pipe:

if <25% full emit redstone signal
    if not red stone signal close pipe.

Should put an end to this nonsense of full generators and empty generators. Once I know exactly how much EU/T I can squeeze out of my 1056 hu/t component set up it'll be very cool to apply that to your better components.

• So I'm putting that 1280 biogas together, and I realized there's a potential problem. The fluid ejector module doesn't have an obvious side, so could inject biogas into the biomass pipe. I figure you've of course got that problem licked by now, but how?

• Yes, that was a problem, I ought to have mentioned it, apologies. Don't use fluid ejector. Even when using iron fluid pipes it was hard to get them to act right. Observe.

As you can see, golden fluid pipes (because I'm slick like that) are feeding biomass in the sides of each fermenter, while pumps are removing gas up the front
    The "empty" one in the back is an item transport pipe, pumping from the bottom hopper (all fermenters have auto ITEM ejectors to a nextdoor hopper for their accumulating fertilizer, you will have more than the upstairs crop-matron can use eventually. Same for biochaff upstairs.

Honestly if I had it to do over again I'd have seperated the fermentation area from the hot coolant extraction area, opening up the possibility to more easily coordinate making multiple reactors, expanding gas production zones, and hot coolant production zones seperately.

• Honestly if I had it to do over again I'd have seperated the fermentation area from the hot coolant extraction area, opening up the possibility to more easily coordinate making multiple reactors, expanding gas production zones, and hot coolant production zones seperately.

I considered that, but there's so many unknown engineering questions for it right this minute and I really want to get this thing UP. I'm gonna move it into space eventually, when I do I'll figure this out.

Redstone engines are so hideous... maybe its time I finally kill the dragon so I can put autarchic gates everywhere.

• I feel the same way, but because I want to make the Enderum versions of the Thermal Expansion machines. I like sawdust :)

By the way, I don't expect it, but let's not rule out the possibility that you're ~30% stronger component setup will overwhelm biomass production. Maybe you'll need more sugar, or some decent overclocking on the macerator or solid fluid canning, or you may even need more than 18 fermenters....doubtful for all, but keep an eye on this thing at first.

Certainly you'll need more semifluid generators. And I haven't really put that little redstone fail-safe of mine to the test yet. it works in theory lol.

I suppose a smarter fail safe would be:

Have an emerald pipe that is always trying to extract from the reactor Cells of HOT coolant.

Now if things are running right, none of those should ever get produced, but if this pipe sucks one out, and spits it into it's neighboring chest, a compatator will send a redstone signal killing the torch that was activating your whole reactor. That should be a better safety feature.

By the way do you do all yours on a server? FRIIIIIEEEEND (creepy smile)

• I do have a server though a visit might be complicated.

I'm pretty sure I'm good on biomass. Upbred my sugar to push output higher for the recycler, so can't imagine a problem there, I should really double check that macerator and fluid enrichment is fast enough though... the semifluids are a weakpoint (only made one stack), but I want some biogas storage anyway.

You know what's hilarious? I just went through my old PMs and there's a convo about an attempt to build a 512 EU/t reactor in 1.4 (we never pulled it off, 496 is the apparent cap), I'm now talking about a reactor that's expected to be over 1024...

What do you use all the sawdust for?

• Well that and a phytogenic isolator set to feed itself back gave me all the wheat seeds I'll need for a galacticraft terraforming machine on mars (and then some). Also I'm not crazy about blast furnaces. Using pulverized charcoal to get my refined iron in an induction smelter is nice.

Those chance payouts on Thermal Expansion machines can be kinda fun. I still run most of my ore through the three stage IC set up i made (it auto compresses all tiny powders, and compressedable nuclear material, it then sends all cookable things to an induction furnaces, and then compresses the metal ones into blocks before sending them up :) )

I wish that I could put Thermal Expansion "slag" into an IC2 Thermal Centrifuge like IC2 "slag"

That's be a lot of easy coal dust and gold dust :) lol.

By the way, I find that in the replicator, buy IC2 Slag and Thermal Centrifuging it, is far more economical than ever buying coal or coal dust.

• I doubt you'll have any trouble. My sugar is nothing special (it may even carry the sin of weed ex in it's blood line) and neither the macerator nor the enricher are overclocked. I'm not sure how big a deal that hydration running to the crop-matron is, or the fertilizer coming in, but maybe don't skip those.

As is I had to build a Thermal Expansion Cache to hold all the biochaff spill over, and my poor little Picker robot is wearing himself out picking up fertilizer that overflows from the crop-matron.

So what are you gonna do with that Fuel factory on mars? Gonna ship all the fuel back to earth? Or process put it into dynamos there, and load it onto flux capacitors to ship home? Or....just make your industrial complex on mars and use everything there?

• I'll be shipping it to a space station where all the processing will be. Orbit is a nice easy place to get to anywhere in a solar system from, it makes sense to put base in such a central location.

• So I ran some tests on the idea of separating the reactor from the fluid heat exchangers, and it works out really well. You only need two output fluid ports (seems to be a limit of 1000mb/sec per port, which in turn equates to 1000 hu/t) and one input port (apparently unlimited input capacity, though you'll need big enough pipes).

Buildcraft pipes will handle a 1368 hu/t reactor (also seen some improvement on pushing the limits of power and efficiency, though it relies on nuclear control to cycle it on/off :D). There's occasional air bubbles in the coolant input. This doesn't happen with beefier pipes (tested with gregtech and fluid distributors, I'm sure thermal dynamics pipes will be just as good), but in a 3 hour run of a 1280hu/t reactor I've had no meltdown, with nuclear control (extremely necessary anyway for the most efficient and powerful reactor) I'm 100% confident.

What I'm not sure of is how much coolant you'd need (I voided my hot coolant and used creative tanks to get cold coolant for these tests) to ensure that there's enough to last until the cooled off coolant makes its way back to the coolant tank. If it's not too bad this method could mean a substantial price drop from direct exchange given the cost of fluid ports over ordinary pressure walls, as well as being more aesthetically pleasing. It might also be tricky to get clean enough flow of hot coolant via buildcraft pipes, and fluid distributors would destroy the cost savings, increasing the need for a better fluid distribution mod.

• So I'm putting that 1280 biogas together, and I realized there's a potential problem. The fluid ejector module doesn't have an obvious side, so could inject biogas into the biomass pipe. I figure you've of course got that problem licked by now, but how?

As far as i know, the fluid ejectior(the item one, too) can be shift-right-clicked on the side of a block to make them output to that direction(aka you shift-right-click the top of a block and it will output to the top only(or the bottom, not quite sure there)).

Native language german, please point out mistakes to me. forget it, my english is better than that of a good deal of people on the forums anyway.

IC Related Quotes thread. If you ever need some good puns.

• Official Post

or the bottom, not quite sure there)).

It can output on any side, it will be set to the side of the block you shift right-click on.

145 Mods isn't too many. 9 types of copper and 8 types of tin aren't too many. 3 types of coffee though?

I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realise that what you read was not what I meant.

---- Minecraft Crash Report ----
    // I just don't know what went wrong :(

I see this too much.

• Cool stuff Requia

As far as i know, the fluid ejectior(the item one, too) can be shift-right-clicked on the side of a block to make them output to that direction(aka you shift-right-click the top of a block and it will output to the top only(or the bottom, not quite sure there)).

Wow, I'd have liked to have known that. Guess those pumps on my design were never necessary. Oh well, they look "ugly" but it's a tribute to how I was just getting started and slapping improvised machinery together, I don't think I'll be changing it or adding those auto pumping buildcraft gates. Future ones I would :)