[GregTech] How many X do I need to supply an Y? How many X does the creation of Y need? And more. (If I forget to manage things here, then please drop a PM to me about that forgotten Question)

• Hmm, ethanol might not be totally unusable as a fuel for a steam based power system. 1/3rd the efficiency in a tungstensteel boiler as the 36LP, but since heatup is nearly instant, it's a good backup power source.

• I usually spend a *lot* more time building and processing than mining.

The only time I've ever had an exception was pushing for a fusion reactor, and then only if you count the quarries as work.

• You don't want to even look at the numbers for how many saplings/sec it takes to keep a large boiler fed.

In case you do:

Now the actual rate of sapling drops per tree is dependent on the tree. It's 5% per decayed leaf block. I'm gonna skip trying to do a rigorous proof and just guess from experience that a tree will drop 2 saplings on average. Use 1 to replant and 1 for ethanol. From here I'm going to assume you're using forestry and assume that the tree is oak (the apples can be squeezed for supplementary biomass, another estimate of about 20% increase in yield as well as supply the compost).

300 mB of biomass / tree
    100 mB of ethanol / tree (GT distillery is 3:1)
    5 trees / second to keep a boiler supplied

Note some guess work and uncertainty is in there. You can't rely on RNG so make buffers and overproduce. This is impossible to do without mods that add tree farm automation and even then short of MFR you'll need to have a pretty large scale set up.

An alternate solution that can net you quite a lot of efficiency (guessing between 10-40%) is to have a large tank that the boiler will fill until it's full then the boiler will turn off until the tank is empty. This way if you're not pulling enough energy to keep the boiler turned on you won't be wasting fuel but if you're running lots of machines the boiler will stay on for a long stretch, being very efficient.

• 1/3rd the efficiency in a tungstensteel boiler as the 36LP, but since heatup is nearly instant, it's a good backup power source.

I'm sure I don't need to mention this post (http://forum.feed-the-beast.co…-boiler-efficiency.13506/) to say that max RC boiler efficiency should never be considered steady state. Since that post there has been rebalancing but from looking at things it looks like a max 36 LP boiler at max temp (500C) outputs 360 mB/t and consumes 1 piece of charcoal every 10 seconds. I'm not going to go into the details of heatup but just keep a number of something like 20% efficiency loss in the back of your head.

RC LP36:
    360 mB/t * 20 t/s * 10 s = 72 buckets of steam per piece of charcoal

GT Tungstensteel:
    2000 mB/t * 20 t = 40 buckets of steam per piece of charcoal

Now when you take into account the heat up and cool down costs they're not too far apart in terms of performance but (!) you won't need a ton of boilers to make a lot of steam and the heat up time is on the order of a few stacks as opposed to a few dozen stacks. The simulator's busted right now so I can't give you actual heatup numbers for the RC boilers and I really cbf'd to do that math rn.

• That link hasn't been accurate for a long time, it even says so in the link. Right now the best an LP can do is a hair under 36buckets per charcoal (the absolute best is a high pressure coal boiler at 48, but chaining together a large number of small boilers is a huge headache).

But the point isn't for constant power, at three times the steam/bucket LP boilers are the clear winner for that. the point would be for emergency power when the heatup time for more 36LPs is shit. Run the treefarm and feed all the charcoal into the LPs, stockpile the biofuel for on demand power.

But now that I think about it, it's probably a lot better to do it the other way around. Biofuel for the LPs, grab JABBA and make a massive charcoal stockpile with the spare for the large boiler, gives the best efficiency overall, and two minute warmup is nothing compared to most steam setups.

• That link hasn't been accurate for a long time, it even says so in the link. Right now the best an LP can do is a hair under 36buckets per charcoal (the absolute best is a high pressure coal boiler at 48, but chaining together a large number of small boilers is a huge headache).

But the point isn't for constant power, at three times the steam/bucket LP boilers are the clear winner for that. the point would be for emergency power when the heatup time for more 36LPs is shit. Run the treefarm and feed all the charcoal into the LPs, stockpile the biofuel for on demand power.

But now that I think about it, it's probably a lot better to do it the other way around. Biofuel for the LPs, grab JABBA and make a massive charcoal stockpile with the spare for the large boiler, gives the best efficiency overall, and two minute warmup is nothing compared to most steam setups.

I got my 36 number from the simulator but that isn't right.

If what you're saying is correct then no RC boiler can be 3x more efficient than a tungstensteel boiler. In fact ignoring heatup the GT boiler wins and accounting for it the GT boiler really wins.

If you think there will be enough ethanol to keep large RC boilers going then there's going to be a lot more charcoal. The ratio of charcoal to ethanol is ungodly. 5 trees worth of wood (something like a stack of charcoal worth 1600 heat each) for 1 bucket of ethanol.

Ethanol is nice on paper but it's not balanced to be used for anything other than straight up emergencies. You set aside a tank and keep filling it and when you blow up other stuff then you flip a switch to use it while you fix stuff.

• Based on GT 5.07.07 and the most recent applied energistics 2, what is the ratio of elemental materials from sky stone dust vs sky stone dust? I was going to try and do the math myself, but it was already taking me over 30 minutes and I wasn't even halfway through.

• If what you're saying is correct then no RC boiler can be 3x more efficient than a tungstensteel boiler. In fact ignoring heatup the GT boiler wins and accounting for it the GT boiler really wins.

The Gregtech boiler has drastically lower refined fuel efficiency (though heats up nearly instantly).

Ethanaol is a special case though, because Greg has ethanol set equal to Diesel, where everybody else has ethanol worth less than diesel (1/3rd as much in the case of railcraft).

• ^ That

Quoted from "zorn":
    People can't handle losing. Lots of new games are like this. My son's Lego games? You die and respawn on the spot, just lose a bit of money. It's made so that anyone can win, even the worst players. Like TE, or EU. They say that IC2 is 'keeping them from moving on' but can never say what that is. In reality they just failed, blew up a bunch of stuff, and their fragile egos couldn't take it so they gravitate towards mods designed to guarantee that you succeed.

• Furnace is 4 EU/t for 128 ticks.
    Microwave is 4 EU/t for 32 ticks.
    Unboxing scrap boxes is 1 EU/t for 16 ticks.
    Recycler is 1 EU/t for 45 ticks.
    Compresser is 2 EU/t for 400 ticks.
    Extractor is 2 EU/t for 400 ticks.
    Thermal Centrifuge is 48 EU/t for 400 ticks.
    Ore Washer uses 16 EU/t for 400 ticks.
    Macerator is 2 EU/t for 800 ticks for railcraft recipes, and 400 ticks for IC2 recipes. Priority is GT pulverization > RC rock crusher > IC2 macerator.
    Forming press is 8 EU/t for 128 ticks for naming things.
    Printer is 2 EU/t for 256 ticks for dyeing 8 things from 1 dye, and 32 ticks for dyeing one thing at a time.

• I always clocked it in higher, but that sounds right when you factor in cable loss. Thanks bunny! *Hands his bunny to the bunny. Bunny^2*

Speaking of, I need to get more pics of MIPS

Quoted from "zorn":
    People can't handle losing. Lots of new games are like this. My son's Lego games? You die and respawn on the spot, just lose a bit of money. It's made so that anyone can win, even the worst players. Like TE, or EU. They say that IC2 is 'keeping them from moving on' but can never say what that is. In reality they just failed, blew up a bunch of stuff, and their fragile egos couldn't take it so they gravitate towards mods designed to guarantee that you succeed.

• I always clocked it in higher, but that sounds right when you factor in cable loss. Thanks bunny! *Hands his bunny to the bunny. Bunny^2*

Speaking of, I need to get more pics of MIPS

I further updated my post with rates for all the other machines as well.

• Thanks bun, that's all super useful

Quoted from "zorn":

• Thank you Bunny. Very convinent chart.
    IC question: What is EU gain per biochaff if you powering fermenter by electrcity? And which is it if you powering it by RTG heating unit? Spent hU counting as .5 of eU

• Official Post

IC question: What is EU gain per biochaff if you powering fermenter by electrcity?

Negative EU gain. Do NOT use electric heater.

And which is it if you powering it by RTG heating unit? Spent hU counting as .5 of eU

uh... should be 640k EU as your heat source is free. The problem is how fast you can produce biogas.