[GregTech-5][1.7.10-FORGE-1355+][Unofficial but approved Port][Stable] Even GT5 Experimental is slowly getting stable.

• What's the absolute most efficient furnace? 32v electric or bronze steam furnace? I need to use it to smelt bamboo into bamboo charcoal (1/4 normal charcoal value) and make it efficient if possible.

If bamboo has no burn time value, you may want to try a microwave oven.

• What's the absolute most efficient furnace? 32v electric or bronze steam furnace? I need to use it to smelt bamboo into bamboo charcoal (1/4 normal charcoal value) and make it efficient if possible.

I think the nichrome multi smelter is.

• What would a fully loaded multi-smelter use in EU per bamboo smelt? It cooks the speed of normal stuff AFAIK, such as smelting wood into charcoal.

Does anyone know how much steam per execution is used by a steam furnace, versus EU to smelt in the e-furnace?

Quoted from "zorn":
    People can't handle losing. Lots of new games are like this. My son's Lego games? You die and respawn on the spot, just lose a bit of money. It's made so that anyone can win, even the worst players. Like TE, or EU. They say that IC2 is 'keeping them from moving on' but can never say what that is. In reality they just failed, blew up a bunch of stuff, and their fragile egos couldn't take it so they gravitate towards mods designed to guarantee that you succeed.

• Steam furnace uses 2048 steam per operation. LV electric furnace uses 512 EU (not counting cable losses or output losses from EU generation/storage blocks)

-Which, if you factor in the efficiency of an LV Steam Turbine and cable losses, comes out to about 1700 Steam/smelt, with each smelt taking half the time in an LV Electric as a Steam Furnace.

• Interesting and very useful information!

Wonder if a microwave works and, if so, how much EU it uses?

Also lastly, any use for Lutetium? IRL it's used for petroleum cracking and for alkylization, hydrogenation, and polymerization.
    Lutetium aluminium garnet (Al5Lu3O12) is used for high-powered laser lenses.

A small amount is added to gadolinium gallium garnet which is used for magnetic bubble memory in computers.
    Cerium-doped lutetium oxyorthosilicate (LSO) is currently the preferred compound for detectors in positron emission tomography (PET)

Aside from stable lutetium, its radioactive isotopes have several specific uses. The suitable half-life and decay mode made lutetium-176 used as a pure beta emitter, using lutetium which has been exposed to neutron activation, and in lutetium–hafnium dating to date meteorites. The synthetic isotope lutetium-177 bound to octreotate (a somatostatin analogue), is used experimentally in targeted radionuclide therapy for neuroendocrine tumors. Indeed, lutetium-177 is seeing increasing use as a radionuclide, in neuroendrocine tumor therapy and bone pain palliation.

Lutetium tantalate (LuTaO4) is the densest known stable white material (density 9.81 g/cm3) and therefore is an ideal host for X-ray phosphors. The only denser white material is thorium dioxide, with density of 10 g/cm3, but the thorium it contains is radioactive.

Edit: Doing some rough math, it's 1716 steam per smelt with a 32V furnace. Each bamboo charcoal produces 4,000 steam in a bronze boiler at full throttle. So the ultimate net result is, at max, 2284 steam. A small but reasonable gain, considering the ease of bamboo to grow and harvest. (It breaks as if you had a timber axe, even if broken by hand. It also spreads automatically, up to IIRC 27 bamboo 'trees' per chunk). No way to auto-harvest tho, AFAIK

EDIT 2: HEY, is there a most-efficient way to turn jerky or other food into methane for a net gain in energy?

Quoted from "zorn":
    People can't handle losing. Lots of new games are like this. My son's Lego games? You die and respawn on the spot, just lose a bit of money. It's made so that anyone can win, even the worst players. Like TE, or EU. They say that IC2 is 'keeping them from moving on' but can never say what that is. In reality they just failed, blew up a bunch of stuff, and their fragile egos couldn't take it so they gravitate towards mods designed to guarantee that you succeed.

Edited once, last by axlegear ().

• Wonder if a microwave works and, if so, how much EU it uses?

Unlikely, since the microwave is only for food items. However, if it does work, it would be 128 EU (reference)

Also lastly, any use for Lutetium?

Fusion reaction ingredient (one of the steps toward making neutronium).

EDIT 2: HEY, is there a most-efficient way to turn jerky or other food into methane for a net gain in energy?

What mod is your jerky from? Anyway, most food items (e.g. pumpkins, fish, mushrooms, etc.) can be centrifuged at LV for 20 EU per L of methane produced, 1 L of methane has a fuel value of 45 EU per L, and even an HV gas turbine produces 30.5 EU per L of methane with default efficiencies.

• Sorry, jerky is MC slang for 'rotten zombie flesh'

Quoted from "zorn":

• Sorry, jerky is MC slang for 'rotten zombie flesh'

That can get a bit confusing when there could be a mod that adds food that is officially called "jerky" (in fact, I searched the FTB wiki, and apparently TiCon allows making several kinds of jerky on the drying rack).

Anyway, rotten zombie flesh (called zombie brain when using the PureBDCraft resource pack) can also be centrifuged for methane, though less per item than other foods.

• Anyway, rotten zombie flesh (called zombie brain when using the PureBDCraft resource pack)

That's a bit of an issue; Zombie Brain is a Thaumcraft item.

Most efficient way to convert Jerky into Methane into EU? The only [item]->Methane recipe that's not energy-positive is Rubber Wood -> things + Methane. LV Centrifuge + LV Gas Turbine is pretty K. LV Centrifuge Processing Array + Large Gas Turbine might also be pretty K but I haven't tested that. (And if that turns out to be more efficient, you might need to figure out how you're going to get all that Jerky because it'll eat it pretty quick.)

Alternative solution: arrays of auto-farmed Cropsticks producing Netherwart or Terrawart; those also give decent Methane.

• I have an automatic-ish zombie spawner trap that makes jerky fairly fast. It's more that I want it to go to good use than that I am actually farming it as a significant power source. I just like getting bonuses from it.

Currently my main power comes from solar boilers, 20 of them. I sleep pretty regularly.
    When I need a bigger boost, I throw something, solid or liquid, into a bronze boiler. It juices me up a bit faster than I can use the steam. I use a large storage tank for 7.8mil L of steam.
    If all else fails, I can throw some sulfuric light fuel into a 128v diesel engine. I don't do this often tho. I need to set up a chemical reactor and secure a source of hydrogen so I can make it into legit fuel, since it's 8 times more energy.

Quoted from "zorn":

Edited once, last by axlegear ().

• I think the nichrome multi smelter is.

As Willis said, and if my math is right (usually not), a Multi smelter with a Nichrome coil and a LV energy hatch should cook 18 bamboo at time, using 12 eu/T for 512 ticks (25,6 seconds). Total of 6144 EU, about 341,3 EU p/ item.

If I hadn't a Infernal Furnace, I would build one of those for me...
    (Heck, I think I will)

• Don't forget the microwave not only cook food, but any non metal and non flammable.
    It is the most efficient way to smelt sand into glass.

• Don't forget the microwave not only cook food, but any non metal and non flammable.
    It is the most efficient way to smelt sand into glass.

Really? I'm surprised that works for sand, because of what the GT5 wiki says:

Putting in an non metallic, non food item will set it on fire.

I presume that means it sets the microwave on fire, since I don't see how the item inside could be set on fire, even if normally flammable (and btw I would expect bamboo to be flammable)

• Thx, that doesn't really help though. I know how to do that with IC2 storage, but I want to set up this:

I have 4 Lapotronic Energy Clusters in my buffer. Is it possible to send a signal when batteries are, say, 95% or less full? This would allow plasma to be sent into the turbine, so that I don't waste plasma and rotor.

How does this energy detector work? I thought it only worked on machine's internal buffer, and not batteries. I found this setting "including batteries" but it didn't seem to work.

Sorry Aiwen, that was the wrong image. I mentioned the detector but showed you an older IC2 setup.

The energy detector can be screwdrivered to output a comparator-able signal. Its one of the last settings. That way you can make it do things like trigger RS Latches on the 0-15 range (93% instead of the 95% precision you're looking for)

The turbines will always accept as much fluid as the hatches can hold. So if a turbine is deactivated, and you fill it up with, say, 64000 steam, it will begin working with that amount once activated.

How does it work? Well, every tick it will try to use up to 125% of its "optimal amount". So if your rotor has an optimal flow of 10,000L/s, it will consume 12500. It will process that steam into energy at 75% efficiency. So its always best to provide optimal flow to the hatch if possible, because excess is gradually voided until equilibrium is reached.

Your EV pump would definitely cause you grief in this scenario. If you can't use a pump that matches throughput with a rotor, you'll want to look at alternative infrastructure there.

Short answer: It's a nightmare. Avoid putting more steam than its optimal flow.
    I'm using pipes with shutters, for example, to achieve 12000L/s, you can use a Huge bronze pipe (9600L/s) + Normal bronze pipe (2400L/s) = 12000L/s (two input hatches) should work.
    You should see this video too (thanks, Willis), it's very helpful.
    I'm not sure if it's feeding the turbine correctly, though, because PYURE refuses to test it using Greg's pipes :P .

Dammit, fine, I'll try to test this tonight :p I can't watch the video atm: how many pipe segments do you want, and how many are shuttered?

• I presume that means it sets the microwave on fire, since I don't see how the item inside could be set on fire, even if normally flammable (and btw I would expect bamboo to be flammable)

Try it in creative.
    Though, if you surround your microwave with blocks/pipes/wires, then it can't have fire :)

• Try it in creative.
    Though, if you surround your microwave with blocks/pipes/wires, then it can't have fire :)

Okay, sand to glass works, without any risk of fire from that (which means the wiki is inaccurate). With birch logs, it doesn't process them, and only puts fire in adjacent air blocks with some types of blocks directly below (which can be itself for an air block above), and even when there's fire directly above it, that doesn't seem to be capable of destroying the microwave (and yes, I made sure machine flammability is enabled in GregTech.cfg). A nearby wire/cable exploding from the fire spreading to it can destroy it, though.

Edit: tried a few other things, and the microwave also works for converting clay balls to brick, clay blocks to hardened clay, cobblestone to smooth stone, and at least some gem ore blocks (except for diamond ore or gem ores backed by netherrack, which cause fires). Using a block of netherrack causes it to explode.

• Hey Pyure I noticed on the wiki page for the LHE it says the LHE will output half as much superheated steam as it would regular steam when in HP mode. However I didn't take this into account when making my setup. The kicker is that my setup works assuming the output isn't halved...

I think I found a case of double dipping if this is not intentional.

My setup aims to use 500 mB/s of lava to make 40 B/s of steam. The IC and extra 100 mB/s of lava allow this to happen in HP mode.
    500 mB/s lava * 80 steam/lava = 40 B/s
    If the output is supposed to be halved I should only be getting 20 B/s of HP steam.

http://ftb.gamepedia.com/Large_Heat_Exchanger#Math

Note that if this is unintentional and is fixed the pahoehoe lava centrifuge array would take nearly as much energy than the best rotors can put out at 500 mB/s. It wouldn't be hard to bump to 1 B/s of lava and ditch the IC but then I'd have to move the pump more and use a higher percentage of the power to process the lava :p

Also I haven't tested this but the wiki says the hot coolant outputs 10 mB of steam for every 1 mB of hot coolant. The LHE outputs 80 mB of steam for every 1 mB of lava. Lava and hot coolant are 4:1 in every other case with the LHE except for output. I haven't actually tested this yet but will soon since I plan on making a hot coolant setup with 6 reactors. It might be hard to get a reasonable amount of power out of it though if I plan on the HP steam mode getting halved in an update And now I have to take another unexpected halving into account.

My partner made a good stable 4x quad thorium design that's easy to automate that outputs 900 Hu/s (900 mB/s of hot colant). Let's say I made 5. That's 4500 mB/s of hot coolant which translates too 22500 mB/s of HP steam. That's about 1.5 kEU/t. I want to make sure that this would be a setup as it's intended.

I get that it's low maintenance 1.5 kEU/t forever but right now I'm making twice that with lava with very low capital cost compared to 6 decked out fluid reactors each using 8 iridium neutron reflectors.

Also the integrated circuitry in the wiki example assumes no halving of HP steam output when using an IC with hot coolant. 1146 HP steam/t / .865 efficiency * 20 t/s = 26500 mB/s of HP steam for 2650 mB/s of hot coolant (10:1).

• Hey Pyure I noticed on the wiki page for the LHE it says the LHE will output half as much superheated steam as it would regular steam when in HP mode. However I didn't take this into account when making my setup. The kicker is that my setup works assuming the output isn't halved...

To clarify this (and I had to re-word the wiki a couple times) your options are producing 50% superheated steam, or 100% regular steam. The benefit of the former is that you get twice as much power from a superheated steam turbine AND you then get to double-dip it as regular steam in a second turbine.

I think I found a case of double dipping if this is not intentional.

My setup aims to use 500 mB/s of lava to make 40 B/s of steam. The IC and extra 100 mB/s of lava allow this to happen in HP mode.
    500 mB/s lava * 80 steam/lava = 40 B/s
    If the output is supposed to be halved I should only be getting 20 B/s of HP steam.

I'll look into this. Just to clarify, you're actually trying to transform around 600 L/s lava into 20 L/s SHS correct?

Note that if this is unintentional and is fixed the pahoehoe lava centrifuge array would take nearly as much energy than the best rotors can put out at 500 mB/s. It wouldn't be hard to bump to 1 B/s of lava and ditch the IC but then I'd have to move the pump more and use a higher percentage of the power to process the lava :p

You don't need to process the pahoehoe if you don't want to. You can just void it (by leaving it in the hatch. Am I missing anything here?

Also I haven't tested this but the wiki says the hot coolant outputs 10 mB of steam for every 1 mB of hot coolant. The LHE outputs 80 mB of steam for every 1 mB of lava. Lava and hot coolant are 4:1 in every other case with the LHE except for output. I haven't actually tested this yet but will soon since I plan on making a hot coolant setup with 6 reactors. It might be hard to get a reasonable amount of power out of it though if I plan on the HP steam mode getting halved in an update And now I have to take another unexpected halving into account.

Can you clarify what you mean about lava and HC being 4:1 in every other case?

You'll get very good power out of your reactors. The steam output gets halved, but (as mentioned above) you double-dip it. A Large High-Pressure Steam Turbine will output 1 steam for every SHS it receives. So if your first turbine generates 800 eu/t, the second will generate 400 eu/t (factoring in efficiencies rotors and optimal flow)

My partner made a good stable 4x quad thorium design that's easy to automate that outputs 900 Hu/s (900 mB/s of hot colant). Let's say I made 5. That's 4500 mB/s of hot coolant which translates too 22500 mB/s of HP steam. That's about 1.5 kEU/t. I want to make sure that this would be a setup as it's intended.

I get that it's low maintenance 1.5 kEU/t forever but right now I'm making twice that with lava with very low capital cost compared to 6 decked out fluid reactors each using 8 iridium neutron reflectors.

Yeah I'm not a huge fan of allowing lava in the LHE myself. Blood likes it though :)

Also the integrated circuitry in the wiki example assumes no halving of HP steam output when using an IC with hot coolant. 1146 HP steam/t / .865 efficiency * 20 t/s = 26500 mB/s of HP steam for 2650 mB/s of hot coolant (10:1).

I suspect you're right about this. I hope I remember to check it out and confirm.

Thanks for the fun feedback willis :)

• I am confused as hell, still, on how to build a fluid reactor and use it with a LHE. Does anyone have a good, detailed, picture-by-picture explaining guide to this?

Quoted from "zorn":