[GregTech-5][1.7.10-FORGE-1355+][Unofficial but approved Port][Stable] Even GT5 Experimental is slowly getting stable.

• I haven't dealt with them myself (yet), but I think what you want is a dynamo hatch. (energy hatches are for energy input, dynamo hatches for energy output)

My mistake. I am using a dynamo hatch. Its just not zpm levels with a zpm hatch.

• Okay, some more questions whose answers might help others track down your issue:
    1. What kind of plasma are you giving it through the input hatch and how fast?
    2. What kind of turbine are you using (size and material)?

• When I replace my Gregtech version with the latest build (gregtech_1.7.10-5.08.18) of the unofficial from this thread, the liquid and solid fireboxes from Railcraft do not show a recipe in NEI in-game anymore. I have verified the recipe appears when clicking on the two fireboxes in NEI prior to trying the new Gregtech mod.
    Anyone have any ideas what is going on ?
    I believe i have noticed another issue where some recipes show up in NEI, i place the items in the crafting grid, the output appears, but it wont let me drag the output to my inventory. I can't remember exactly what recipes do this as I post this question. If i remember I will update this post.

Thanks in advance

CmdrRimmer

• When I replace my Gregtech version with the latest build (gregtech_1.7.10-5.08.18) of the unofficial from this thread, the liquid and solid fireboxes from Railcraft do not show a recipe in NEI in-game anymore. I have verified the recipe appears when clicking on the two fireboxes in NEI prior to trying the new Gregtech mod.
    Anyone have any ideas what is going on ?
    I believe i have noticed another issue where some recipes show up in NEI, i place the items in the crafting grid, the output appears, but it wont let me drag the output to my inventory. I can't remember exactly what recipes do this as I post this question. If i remember I will update this post.

Thanks in advance

CmdrRimmer

I ran into that issue with Railcraft a few months back, when I was using GT 5.07.07, and I was told that GregTech tries to modify the recipes for them, but since their internal names had been changed, the recipe modifications failed. I thought that Blood Asp had fixed that, though I hadn't tested it (I'm not using Railcraft atm), and for all I know Railcraft could have changed the names again. Do any of these other Railcraft items show crafting recipes for you with GT5u installed: the steam oven, the engraving bench, the rock crusher, the feed station, steel tank valves/gauges (not counting the painting recipes), the void chest, or the metals chest?

• I can't explain that. I'm having trouble believing it, even for an old build. Are you sure you were really using MOX fuel? According to my newer planner, using MOX in that design in a fluid reactor preheated to 84% should explode at 117 seconds.

Edit: I tried your design myself in creative mode with IC2 build 658, the latest Forge, and no other mods, using MOX and preheating to about 61% before putting in the central advanced heat vents that are directly adjacent to fuel rods. Several components failed after a few minutes, starting with the advanced heat vents above and below the central fuel rods. Shortly after that, the gui switched to EU output mode, then it exploded.

You were right, hot fluid mox reactor produce more hU than same cold one. 84% heated = 201.72% hU production. BUT, same normal reactor (without coolant) 84% heated = 440.00% eU production. So most efficient way to use MOX fuel is hot normal reactor. And because of U235 is too expensive to make uranium fluid reactors profitable, it is useless at all.

All fluid reactor infrastructure, cumbersome, resource expensive, are useless because simple hot MOX reactor is more profitable. It produces 55.83% more eU per one Uranium 238 Ingot.

That was exactly the reason i asked Blood Asp to change U235 recipe.

Ideal Industrial Assembly (IIA) - my pretty hard industrial modpack based on GT5.09

Идеальная Индустриальная Сборка (ИИС) - довольно сложный сугубо индустриальный модпак, базирующийся на GT5.09

http://sapientmail.wixsite.com/minecraft

Edited 4 times, last by Sapient ().

• You were right, hot fluid mox reactor produce more hU than same cold one. 84% heated = 201.72% hU production. BUT, same normal reactor (without coolant) 84% heated = 440.00% eU production. So most efficient way to use MOX fuel is hot normal reactor. And because of U235 is too expensive to make uranium fluid reactors profitable, it is useless at all.

All fluid reactor infrastructure, cumbersome, resource expensive, are useless because simple hot MOX reactor is more profitable. It produces 55.83% more eU per one Uranium 238 Ingot.

The infrastructure is the main thing that's discouraged me from setting up a fluid reactor in survival myself. I've been setting up RTGs, which are probably more resource expensive (especially in terms of the iron; the plutonium is easier to obtain in GT5u than with just IC2), but they're zero maintenance and more compact than fluid reactors (in a 5x5x5 volume, I could place 75 RTGs (three 5x5 walls) and cables between them, which when fully populated, would produce 2400 EU/t; I haven't seen any fluid reactor designs to match that, and that's not even counting the extra space fluid reactors need for the LHEs, steam generators, condensers, etc.). If I can get some replies to my thread asking for advice on storage organization, I might relocate my base to be under a large crop-farm I built high over swampland, and I would probably also add wind power around the walls of my farm.

However, there are a couple of ways I'm aware of to make a fluid reactor more efficient in terms of fuel consumption (though probably more cumbersome and resource expensive to set up, and would be applicable to uranium and thorium rods as well as mox):
    1. Run a Mark V reactor design with redstone timing, since vents in a fluid reactor can continue outputting hU into the coolant fluid even during the cooldown time (a simple design for this is 7 to 9 quad fuel rods in the upper left corner, vents in most of the rest of the area, but space or non-heat-accepting components (e.g. heat-capacity plating) adjacent to the fuel rods).
    2. Run a primary fluid reactor that doesn't directly vent the heat, but instead absorbs the heat with 60k coolant cells (or 360k helium/NaK cells since they're available in GT5u), and one or more secondary fluid reactors that use heat exchangers and vents to transfer the heat back out of some not-quite-destroyed coolant/helium/NaK cells.

That was exactly the reason i asked Blood Asp to change U235 recipe.

You don't actually have to wait for Blood Asp to make changes - you can adjust values in WorldGeneration.cfg to make certain mix veins include U235 ore, or you might be able to set up some MineTweaker processing recipes to provide alternate ways to obtain it.

• or you might be able to set up some MineTweaker processing recipes to provide alternate ways to obtain it.

You right, I can tweak it by myself and will do so if no other choice. But i think it would be better if default mod config would make fluid reactor same profitable as complex it is.

RTGs is even better, you right again, but there is not so easy (in early and mid game) to get number of plutonium needed to produce same amount of eU/t as simple reactor. But in late game that must be good choice.

Ideal Industrial Assembly (IIA) - my pretty hard industrial modpack based on GT5.09

Идеальная Индустриальная Сборка (ИИС) - довольно сложный сугубо индустриальный модпак, базирующийся на GT5.09

• For now i would say it will take at last some weeks until i change anything reactor related.
    I would prefer to be able to rebalance the reactor a bit, but there is no API for that. The mox should allways be better than normal uranium abd the fluid reactor better than eu reactor.
    I plan to remove plutonium from default oregen and oreprocessing and readd U235 so a uranium reactor is allways needed to start.

• For game balance reasons, output should scale with difficulty. MOX isn't just the best output, sadly its also the simplest to put together.

I realize you can't do much about that, its out of your hands. But it sucks that there's no good reason for me to make an actively cooled reactor.

Even if there was just a config option to make passively-cooled reactors output at 10% output (instead of 50%), that would help a lot. Bleh.

• RTGs is even better, you right again, but there is not so easy (in early and mid game) to get number of plutonium needed to produce same amount of eU/t as simple reactor. But in late game that must be good choice.

Wait, how is plutonium so hard to get in early and mid game (other than Blood Asp's plan to remove it from default oregen)? With GT5/GT5u, it generates as ore in the mix vein named after it. It requires a tier 3 pickaxe and a hazmat suit to mine it, but it can be smelted in a regular furnace, and macerating first (which can be done in a steam macerator) gives 222% yield. The hard part of making RTG fuel is the iron - it takes 54 iron ingots per pellet, and an MV-tier metal bender to convert them to dense iron plates (though there was at least one build of GT5u that left the compressor recipe for dense iron plates enabled, and I'll admit I used that a bit)

• For game balance reasons, output should scale with difficulty. MOX isn't just the best output, sadly its also the simplest to put together.

I realize you can't do much about that, its out of your hands. But it sucks that there's no good reason for me to make an actively cooled reactor.

Even if there was just a config option to make passively-cooled reactors output at 10% output (instead of 50%), that would help a lot. Bleh.

If i could: Double fluid reactor output. Or even tripple. It is way underpowered for it's difficulty. Abd then half the mox heatbonus so it is not that powerfull anymore. Also lowering the windmill efficiency allready once they are less then 100 blocks away from each other. So spamming them becomes more difficult.

• Wait, how is plutonium so hard to get in early and mid game (other than Blood Asp's plan to remove it from default oregen)?

I mean 1 Plutonium mix vein contains about 100-150 blocks of Plutonium Ore, which could be converted to 200-300 plutonium Ingots. That's only 70-100 Pellets of RTG and can produce only 220-320 eU/t. We need to explore 3-4 of plutonium mix veins to get same eU/t by RTGs as just one hot MOX reactor.

• I plan to remove plutonium from default oregen and oreprocessing and readd U235 so a uranium reactor is allways needed to start.

That may be even better. Thanks a lot. In this case technology steps of nuclear energy would be:
    1. Uranium eU reactor
    2. Uranium hU reactor
    3. MOX eU reactor
    4. RTGs

• I mean 1 Plutonium mix vein contains about 100-150 blocks of Plutonium Ore, which could be converted to 200-300 plutonium Ingots. That's only 70-100 Pellets of RTG and can produce only 220-320 eU/t. We need to explore 3-4 of plutonium mix veins to get same eU/t by RTGs as just one hot MOX reactor.

I see your point, but I think your math is a bit off there. Despite what it says in the tooltip for the RTG, 6 pellets in one RTG can produce 32 EU/t, so 96 pellets can produce 512 EU/t total (using 16 RTGs).

Edit:

That may be even better. Thanks a lot. In this case technology steps of nuclear energy would be:
    1. Uranium eU reactor
    2. Uranium hU reactor
    3. MOX eU reactor
    4. RTGs

Don't forget you can have thorium in there somewhere, and fusion reactors after.

• Guess this got buried under the reactor talk, but bloodasp:

How exactly does the large plasma gen work, exactly? I stuck a zpm energy dynamo hatch on the back and got very little energy out, no where near zpm energy. Is there something Im missing?

• One question about the GT cables: The cables are designed to transfer a maximum amount of Ampere at a maximum given Voltage. That is normally measured in VA (or W for Watt = Voltage * Ampere) in real life.
    In real life when I use less Voltage I can have a higher amount of Ampere passing through the same cable without any trouble as long as I keep in mind to watch out that I do not exceed the maximum amount of VA that the cable can transfer without getting damaged.
    Are GT cables designed the same way or have I always to watch out to not to exceed the given number of Ampere regardless of the Voltage I want to send through the cable, for example can a 1x wire or cable always hold only 1 Ampere per tick regardless of the amount of Voltage I want to send through?