[GregTech-5][1.7.10-FORGE-1355+][Unofficial but approved Port][Stable] Even GT5 Experimental is slowly getting stable.

"You know you are running GregTech, when wooden planks require 8 nether stars around a dragon egg to craft."
    — SirSengir

Citizens of Minecraftia, welcome into the GregTech! ... Lower the gates!

Imho in fact best option is to make automatic tree farm using MFR or Forestry for LV and MV with automatic transportation of BC pipes / Thermal Dynamic pipes (which are quite expensive - needs blast glass out of lead, obsidian and tin) / MFR conveyors. Ofc those three mods depends on RF, so you will need a mod which allows convertion of power - like RotaryCraft (quite hard) or Power Converters (quite easy). Personally ive altered a bit configs of ore generation so its a bit easier to find any ores in my world, but still all productions dependencies were the same - ive always tryied to have surplus charcoal just for generation of RF to gather trees. At begining it was quite boring - waiting for trees to grow, then make charcoal out of them, and then make a bit steam to push forward. At least everything depends at your play style - at that you wish just have fun, mid-hard farming or 'tru' GT (as SirSengir noticed that about two years earlier).

• I thought automated tree farms (MFR especially) were too powerful when i made a pack last. MFR also had serious world destroying bugs so I'll likely never use it again. Instead use a robot from a computer mod and spend the time making a tree farm program. Make the time barrier to the powerful tree farm not be based on some arbitrary collection of materials but how clever you are.

• Citizens of Minecraftia, welcome into the GregTech! ... Lower the gates!

Imho in fact best option is to make automatic tree farm using MFR or Forestry for LV and MV with automatic transportation of BC pipes / Thermal Dynamic pipes (which are quite expensive - needs blast glass out of lead, obsidian and tin) / MFR conveyors. Ofc those three mods depends on RF, so you will need a mod which allows convertion of power - like RotaryCraft (quite hard) or Power Converters (quite easy). Personally ive altered a bit configs of ore generation so its a bit easier to find any ores in my world, but still all productions dependencies were the same - ive always tryied to have surplus charcoal just for generation of RF to gather trees. At begining it was quite boring - waiting for trees to grow, then make charcoal out of them, and then make a bit steam to push forward. At least everything depends at your play style - at that you wish just have fun, mid-hard farming or 'tru' GT (as SirSengir noticed that about two years earlier).

Technically you don't have to "convert" power to RF - you can use direct RF generation such as a BC Stirling Engine, a Forestry Peat-Fired Engine, or a Railcraft Steam Engine. On the other hand, once you've progressed far enough with GregTech EU generation, I can understand wanting to convert instead, which GT5u provides in the configs, and RF output is enabled by default in 5.09+.

I thought automated tree farms (MFR especially) were too powerful when i made a pack last. MFR also had serious world destroying bugs so I'll likely never use it again. Instead use a robot from a computer mod and spend the time making a tree farm program. Make the time barrier to the powerful tree farm not be based on some arbitrary collection of materials but how clever you are.

I haven't tried MFR tree farming, but I've seen reddit posts claiming it's a lot faster than Forestry tree farms. I've thought about adding a progression gate to the Forestry multifarm with Minetweaker scripts so that most of the electron tubes require fine wire instead of just ingots (some of the gems used for certain electron tubes don't have fine wire versions defined), and an assembling machine so that the total (primary) material amount is the same. Maybe also red alloy instead of redstone. Your idea of a robotic tree farm is interesting, but would it really be a question of writing one's own tree farm program, or finding one with a web search?

• I was thinking that while in the recycler GUI it might be nice to have items tooltips indicate if they are blacklisted or not.

IDK whether Minecraft allows tooltips to change depending on whether a certain gui is open, but I know a trick for checking if an item is blacklisted: put it in a hopper feeding the the recycler. If it stays in the hopper, it's blacklisted. IIRC, you can override that by putting one in the recycler manually (only do this if you want to get rid of excess items for whatever reason and aren't concerned about the power consumption, since you'll still have no chance of scrap), and then the hopper will feed more of the same item into the recycler.

• I haven't tried MFR tree farming, but I've seen reddit posts claiming it's a lot faster than Forestry tree farms. I've thought about adding a progression gate to the Forestry multifarm with Minetweaker scripts so that most of the electron tubes require fine wire instead of just ingots (some of the gems used for certain electron tubes don't have fine wire versions defined), and an assembling machine so that the total (primary) material amount is the same. Maybe also red alloy instead of redstone. Your idea of a robotic tree farm is interesting, but would it really be a question of writing one's own tree farm program, or finding one with a web search?

I haven't looked very hard but I have seen youtube vids with code and tutorials posted. In my case I had a partner working on an opencomputers robot API that worked p well. His work coupled with TiC lumber axes and spruce trees ended up being quite strong after a roughly 10 hour time commitment, most of that spent fighting with lua.

• Lignite is common, I won't dispute that - random weight 160, and vein density of 8, so it's an attractive option when not using a mod to automate tree farming. However, burning longer than charcoal? That is what I'm disputing. Charcoal in gem, crushed, impure dust, or plain dust form has burn time of 1600 and boiler energy of 160. Lignite has burn time of 1200 in 5.09 (experimental) and boiler energy of 120.

You misunderstood my post. The point I was trying to make is that at his stage of development it's better to go Lignite since he's looking for other ores anyways. That way he doesn't have to stop his processing to go chop trees down constantly to make charcoal. When he gets further along an automated farm is much better with an automated burn/cycle to boiler setup.

My son and I skipped the auto farm setup since I was out farming tons of lignite along with other ores anyways so we saved tons of time. If you're in a group of 3-5 then 1 person could be Paul Bunyon and do it the other way. :D

Technically you don't have to "convert" power to RF - you can use direct RF generation such as a BC Stirling Engine, a Forestry Peat-Fired Engine, or a Railcraft Steam Engine. On the other hand, once you've progressed far enough with GregTech EU generation, I can understand wanting to convert instead, which GT5u provides in the configs, and RF output is enabled by default in 5.09+.
    I haven't tried MFR tree farming, but I've seen reddit posts claiming it's a lot faster than Forestry tree farms....

Ive seen someting in GT configs about RF, but dont looked into very carefully - i shall check it again. Imho having multiple different not connected energy nets is a bit confusing, thats why i suggested conversion - personally my target is to convert everything into RF, then transport it through expensive, but with infinite capacity per tick cryo-stabilised fluxducts out of Thermal Dynamics then convert it again to needed power type unless i achieve UV power of GT and its wireless transmiters, but still im unsure if it is worth changing later.

About MFR harvesters - they might seem to be a bit OP, but im nearly sure that energy usage can be altered in configs if someone wants very balanced servers and has time to polish every little thing.

• I'm stuck for an ore again, only this time it's Quartzite. I've got most of my low-voltage machinery set up, with several battery buffers, but I'd like to monitor the amount of energy I've got in those batteries easily. To that end I installed Nuclear Control 2, which has a bunch of information panels. Unfortunately, the recipe for the Gregtech sensor kit involves quartzite, and I haven't seen any.

This feels like it's going to be a recurring thing. At least with the tetrahedrite I could be reasonably sure it would be visible from the surface. For veins where the generation is lower, that's not an option.

I've seen lots of coal, magnetite, bauxite, salt / lepidolite veins (handy for lithium), redstone / ruby veins, and a couple of monazite veins, but there are lots of things I've never seen.

• I'm stuck for an ore again, only this time it's Quartzite. I've got most of my low-voltage machinery set up, with several battery buffers, but I'd like to monitor the amount of energy I've got in those batteries easily. To that end I installed Nuclear Control 2, which has a bunch of information panels. Unfortunately, the recipe for the Gregtech sensor kit involves quartzite, and I haven't seen any.

This feels like it's going to be a recurring thing. At least with the tetrahedrite I could be reasonably sure it would be visible from the surface. For veins where the generation is lower, that's not an option.

I've seen lots of coal, magnetite, bauxite, salt / lepidolite veins (handy for lithium), redstone / ruby veins, and a couple of monazite veins, but there are lots of things I've never seen.

I've found it in Green Swampland and in Meadows, usually just below the surface in cave/caverns around 52ish in the open.

• Im not sure, but ive found mine in nether. Remember that you will need autoclave to make gems out of processed dust. Nuclear Power works correctly for you? Ive tryied to check HV battery with 8 IC2 energy crystals - it shows a bit over 8M of EU, but it is not changing when i put out few, only when i go away and back.

Another thing - how behave RF input into GT? It works only to batteries or to all equipment? As Ive checked, GT battery buffer connected directly to RF batery transfers energy correctly.

And yet another, still not answered - is a way to generate durability of meta-tools, eg. turbines to compare all of them? As far Ive managed only to find durability of pickaxes, but that spreadsheet is mainly for GT6.

• Im not sure, but ive found mine in nether.

Quartzite is not supposed to generate in the Nether, unless you're using PFAA (since it generates its own versions of most overworld ores, but not all - so some extra vein types are enabled in the Nether, such as the quartz mix vein that includes certus quartz and quartzite instead of nether quartz). However, if you're using Biomes O' Plenty, you might have encountered https://github.com/Blood-Asp/GT5-Unofficial/issues/726

• Nuclear Power works correctly for you?

I've yet to find any quartzite, but I spent some time in a Creative testbed world, experimenting with low-voltage power distribution. Nuclear Control worked just fine with Gregtech 5U battery buffers. A little slow to update, but it did display all the important information.

• Ow i forgot one thing - my single player world has tendency to lag a bit, maybe thats why panels are not updating as fast as i wish. Ok, thanks for info; now i must wait, maybe someone will know how to compare GT meta tools.

• It does change the cable loss to be higher:https://github.com/Blood-Asp/G…taTileEntities.java#L1249

I wonder why that line doesn't show up when I search GitHub for "mHardcoreCables" then.

Edit: I just discovered that this idea from several posts back doesn't entirely work:

I've thought about adding a progression gate to the Forestry multifarm with Minetweaker scripts so that most of the electron tubes require fine wire instead of just ingots (some of the gems used for certain electron tubes don't have fine wire versions defined), and an assembling machine so that the total (primary) material amount is the same. Maybe also red alloy instead of redstone.

https://github.com/Blood-Asp/G…cipeLoader.java#L492-L504 adds assembler recipes for the Forestry Electron Tubes using ingots/gems, which Minetweaker scripts are not be able to remove. The full idea would require a custom build of GT. However, disabling the crafting recipe for the thermionic fabricator is still possible so that the assembler is required as a progression gate for the electron tubes.

• To disable GT machine recipes, use the Recipes config file.

Right, I just need to give the new recipes different durations. Since I'd been planning to make the new recipes output 1 tube per operation (which I had temporarily forgotten about), that gives me a simple way to deal with that. Also, for the gem-based electron tubes, I can have them use flawed chipped gems.