[GregTech-5][1.7.10-FORGE-1355+][Unofficial but approved Port][Stable] Even GT5 Experimental is slowly getting stable.

• Official Post

the IC2 builds that include them crash with GT 5.10

Try putting this in the mods folder too. It's not really a proper patcher because I was feeling lazy for what it actually needs to do (very little), so it is named to try and load before IC2's version can. If you get the same crash, transplant the CropCard.class from within the jar into the proper place within the IC2 one (but as that's a nuisance so ideally you won't need to do that).

EDIT: There's a better, proper one here: [GregTech-5][1.7.10-FORGE-1355+][Unofficial but approved Port][Stable] Even GT5 Experimental is slowly getting stable.

• The jar didn't work, but transplanting the class file seems to have worked - I'm at least able to enter the game with IC2 build 169. The crop harvester and crop matron show up with recipes now. The seed bags, however, show neither recipe nor usage in JEI, so I'm wondering if the ability to put them through the GT scanner was (temporarily) removed from GT 5.10.

• Official Post

There's a decent chance the code is just commented out, worth a look to see how easy it would be to get working.

145 Mods isn't too many. 9 types of copper and 8 types of tin aren't too many. 3 types of coffee though?

I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realise that what you read was not what I meant.

---- Minecraft Crash Report ----
    // I just don't know what went wrong :(

I see this too much.

• There's a decent chance the code is just commented out, worth a look to see how easy it would be to get working.

Looking at the code, I found this:
    https://github.com/Blood-Asp/G…tity_Scanner.java#L73-L90
    which suggests that scanning a seed bag would work in 5.10 (though I'd need to switch to creative or something to check - I'm pre-steam in my survival world), but I haven't found where a recipe would be registered to NEI/JEI to make it show up that way.

Edit: tried in creative mode with a JEI cheat-mode redwheat seed bag (since the seed bags don't show up in the creative inventory), and it didn't process. If I'm reading that code correctly, a pre-scanned seed bag (such as one I cheated in) should zip through in 1 tick. With that apparently not working, I don't know where to look for code to uncomment (or otherwise edit) to get it working.

• I'm having some issues transporting things to and from the Nether.

I've got an Advanced Miner II up and running in the Nether over the Nether Quartz vein. It's not strictly necessary, since I've physically visited the vein now, and I can probably wall it off if I wanted to harvest it by hand. I'd prefer to make the Miner viable for a variety of reasons.

The problem is drilling fluid, which I'm transporting by hand. It doesn't last long, and since it's the Nether, I can't gather water locally to make it on site.

With my oil rig, I've got an automated Railcraft system that I like quite well. It only transports 32,000 liters of Heavy Oil or Nitro Diesel at a time, but it to does it completely automatically on demand, and it's had no trouble keeping up with my usage.

I just spent a little time messing with carts going through Nether Portals, and I'm unhappy with the results. Trains decouple and turn into individual carts. I tried putting down some coupler track on the other side to re-link the train, but the carts ended up on different tracks. This despite having anchors down so the carts should have had time to move. I believe part of the issue is that carts lose all momentum on traveling through the portal.

Trains rather than individual carts are pretty important. The locomotive allows Railcraft to do routing, and the Anchor Cart means it keeps moving. Without anchor carts I'd have to put down anchors covering the entire route from the portal to the Nether Quartz miner.

I'm not sure it can be done with vanilla portals. Any suggestions? I'm thinking about experimenting with other mods that have better portal support. I've seen mention here and there that Mystcraft portals will transport trains intact, or possibly Enchanced Portals 3.

Mystcraft is frankly fairly "heavy" in my mind, it adds a lot of things I probably don't want, if all I'm using it for is a Nether Portal alternative.

EDIT: I've watched a couple of videos of people using Mystcraft to solve this sort of problem, and it seems a little... cheaty. No routing or trains needed, and only very short lengths of track, because you can put the spawn point for the portal anywhere. Thus you link the portal directly to the liquid unloader for whatever fluid you're moving. Two kinds of liquid? No problem, just set up separate portal pairs.

Vanilla Nether portals don't let you choose your destination, though you can move Overworld portals a fair distance and have get them to link to a fixed Nether-side portal. Moving the Nether side of course ends up moving the link point a long distance in the Overworld, so this sort of instant-transport shenanigans isn't possible.

I may go the Mystcraft route anyway, but implement a house rule that says I can't do that. That I have to place the spawn point more-or-less where a vanilla Nether portal link would go. Thus pretending the Mystcraft portals are just better behaved Nether portals.

• Ah, I wish I was home now, this train/portal problem seems fun...
    I think I tried once, but I gave up, as it wasn't important.

• Try fluid cells, made from steel.

I'm not sure what you're talking about, but it doesn't seem to be Gregtech. There's nothing in NEI about an alternate fluid cell, beyond the normal one (made from tin) and the legacy IC2 Universal Fluid Cell (also made from tin). On the off chance there was an unregistered recipe, I tried using my Cell mold for the extruder with steel ingots, and nothing happened.

• I'm not sure what you're talking about, but it doesn't seem to be Gregtech. There's nothing in NEI about an alternate fluid cell, beyond the normal one (made from tin) and the legacy IC2 Universal Fluid Cell (also made from tin). On the off chance there was an unregistered recipe, I tried using my Cell mold for the extruder with steel ingots, and nothing happened.

I don't remember exact name. It's from GregTech 5, added by Greg, buffed by BloodAsp. What I remember about crafting it: tier 2 assembler, needs steel rings and some thickness steel plates.

• Found it. Double Steel plate + 2x Steel Ring = Large Steel Fluid Cell. I had no idea it existed, and it has no recipes in NEI. It does, however, work in the fluid canner, and holds Drilling Fluid. Which, it's interesting to say, the standard Gregtech cell do not - I had to use IC2 Universal Fluid Cells to transport my drilling fluid.

It's 2.5 steel per cell, vs. 2 tin for the basic cells, so it's much more cost efficient than the basic fluid cells. Modulo the value of steel vs. tin, of course.

• Official Post

Looking at the code, I found this:
    https://github.com/Blood-Asp/G…tity_Scanner.java#L73-L90
    which suggests that scanning a seed bag would work in 5.10 (though I'd need to switch to creative or something to check - I'm pre-steam in my survival world), but I haven't found where a recipe would be registered to NEI/JEI to make it show up that way.

Edit: tried in creative mode with a JEI cheat-mode redwheat seed bag (since the seed bags don't show up in the creative inventory), and it didn't process. If I'm reading that code correctly, a pre-scanned seed bag (such as one I cheated in) should zip through in 1 tick. With that apparently not working, I don't know where to look for code to uncomment (or otherwise edit) to get it working.

I had a dig around and https://github.com/Blood-Asp/G…common/GT_Proxy.java#L321 registers the seed bags as coffee instead, so that would probably explain why it didn't work.

This should fix both issues properly, it's actually a patcher rather than just a fixed file.

EDIT: This fixes crashes from GT crops trying to get the world from the crop sticks: [GregTech-5][1.7.10-FORGE-1355+][Unofficial but approved Port][Stable] Even GT5 Experimental is slowly getting stable.

• had a dig around and https://github.com/Blood-Asp/GT5-Unoffic…Proxy.java#L321 registers the seed bags as coffee instead, so that would probably explain why it didn't work.

This should fix both issues properly, it's actually a patcher rather than just a fixed file.

Seems to work, at least in creative mode.

Found it. Double Steel plate + 2x Steel Ring = Large Steel Fluid Cell. I had no idea it existed, and it has no recipes in NEI. It does, however, work in the fluid canner, and holds Drilling Fluid. Which, it's interesting to say, the standard Gregtech cell do not - I had to use IC2 Universal Fluid Cells to transport my drilling fluid.

It's 2.5 steel per cell, vs. 2 tin for the basic cells, so it's much more cost efficient than the basic fluid cells. Modulo the value of steel vs. tin, of course.

A couple things to point out, just in case you're not already aware of them: 1. (tungsten)steel fluid cells only stack to 16, though that still gives you 4 times as much fluid per stack for the steel cells compared to UFCs. 2. you can also fill (or empty) various fluid containers in input or output hatches (which don't have to be part of multiblocks for this) at zero EU cost, and lower crafting cost compared to a fluid canner (though filling/emptying tungstensteel fluid cells this way requires a ZPMV hatch, whereas doing it with a fluid canner only requires EV tier)

A couple of options for portable fluid storage from other mods I'm aware of:
    1. the Certus Quartz Tank from Extra Cells (bit of a misnomer, really, since it's made from quartz glass, which could be made with either certus quartz dust or nether quartz dust, and sometimes I've even added a Minetweaker script to allow making quartz glass with quartzite dust) which holds 32000 L per block and can be filled in an MV fluid canner or HV input/output hatch, or filled externally and then picked up by sneak+right click with nether/certus quartz wrench.
    2. drums from Extra Utilities - however, 11 iron and 6 steel for 256000 L capacity for the standard drum seems much too cheap to me for use with GregTech.

Edit: I realized that if you decide to use Extra Cells, you could even use fluid import/export buses and a Quantum Network Bridge. Since the QNB has a much higher crafting cost than a Mystcraft Portal as well as an upkeep cost to keep it running, it probably won't feel as cheaty.

• Yeah, I found out that they stack in groups of 16, not 64. But still, 256 buckets per stack is better than 64.

I'm using a fluid canner at the mining rig. The energy cost isn't high, and when combined with a chest buffer and a chest for empty cells, it means I can leave a lot more than one input hatch's worth of fluid at the rig.

I'm not going to install Extra Utilities, for pretty much the reason you state. It's always a balancing act, deciding when something from another mod is unbalanced because it's too cheap or too good.

I want to run trains into the Nether, just because. I just want something that's reliable and doesn't have that balance problem.

• Okay, I found something that actually works better in 5.10 than 5.09 or older: the JEI '+' button to populate the crafting table with a recipe actually works with GT meta-tools (although it only pulls enough to craft one item, even if I've got enough for more and shift+click the button). NEI couldn't do that, except for special variants like the AE2 crafting terminal. IDK yet whether it works with more advanced components like electric motors, pistons, etc. that gave even the AE2 crafting terminal trouble in 5.09.

Edit: finally found some tin so I could build a charcoal pile igniter (I have small ores disabled in WorldGeneration.cfg). I usually jump straight to the max size for the charcoal pile, but it's a bit annoying to place all the logs manually - I used to use a BuildCraft filler to handle that part, but that mod is only up to 1.8.9 and they're planning to jump to 1.11.2 next. Anybody know of something from another mod I could consider?

• You had an automatic way of placing logs in the charcoal pit? I envy you. That's so tedious and error-prone by hand.

As for populating the crafting table - after using the Project Bench from Forestry, I can't go back to any crafting table variant that forces me to actually place the correct number of components in the crafting grid. It's so much better when the crafting grid is a blueprint, and the table will continue to craft items that match that blueprint as long as you have the materials in your inventory. Particularly since I can right-click and get either a full stack or the maximum my materials will allow.

That the project bench has a memory of 9 recipes and its own inventory is gravy. The main thing is not having to move things from inventory to the grid.

• I love suggesting opencomputers. I removed all tree farms from my mod pack. As balancing I made computer stuff slightly cheaper with the idea that the time investment to obtain powerful solutions is there but it's spent designing rather than obtaining materials and crafting.

• OpenComputers? Meaning I'd have to program a robot to navigate the inside of the charcoal pile and place the logs? That seems like it would be more of a hassle (and potentially error-prone) than placing the logs by hand, at least until I got it working (and for all I know, that might take me more time than getting to where I'm less reliant on charcoal and/or can build a pyrolyse oven and don't need the charcoal pile anymore). Sorry, but that doesn't seem very attractive to me right now.

• Yeah, that was my reaction as well. I looked into OpenComputers as a response to Willis's post, and my immediate thought was that the potential number of errors was absolutely huge, particularly since the OpenComputer Robots don't seem to have much in the way of sensors.

Really, doing almost anything automated with them looks like it's bound to fail.

• Here's another problem I'd like to figure out:

Railcraft for 1.10.2 doesn't currently have water tanks (to supply boilers, ore washers, autoclaves, biomass production, etc.) or iron/steel tanks (for buffering steam, biogas, or whatever).