[GregTech-5][1.7.10-FORGE-1355+][Unofficial but approved Port][Stable] Even GT5 Experimental is slowly getting stable.

• Well on my last server my partner made a fully functional tree farm, vanilla crop farm, and rubber farm using them. A charcoal pit matron wouldn't be hard since the only blocks you'd see are wood, dirt, brick, and the igniter. You can have it compare adjacent placed blocks with blocks in the inventory to identify surroundings. Figuring out a pathing algorithm is where most of the fun is.

• Well on my last server my partner made a fully functional tree farm, vanilla crop farm, and rubber farm using them. A charcoal pit matron wouldn't be hard since the only blocks you'd see are wood, dirt, brick, and the igniter. You can have it compare adjacent placed blocks with blocks in the inventory to identify surroundings. Figuring out a pathing algorithm is where most of the fun is.

couldnt you just set it to break all the blocks in a set pattern in the pit every so often? that wouldnt be hard at all with computercraft turtles.

• couldnt you just set it to break all the blocks in a set pattern in the pit every so often? that wouldnt be hard at all with computercraft turtles.

1. We're talking about placing the wood blocks, which is more of a hassle to do manually than breaking the brittle charcoal afterwards.
    2. This is OpenComputers, not ComputerCraft - the API for OpenComputers robots is different from that of ComputerCraft turtles. (ComputerCraft only has an alpha up for 1.9.4, not sure whether it would work on 1.10.2)

Edit: my main concern about the navigation was the dirt roof. However, I later realized I didn't need to leave that in place - I could program the robot to place that as well, simplifying getting the robot out. Also, if I make sure the robot starts at the same place each time, I can use variables to keep track of its relative position, and not even need to compare surroundings. However, an OpenComputers still requires some form of power to charge it (at least initially, I did see the generator upgrade), so I'll wait on installing the mod until I've got electricity, in case somebody comes up with an alternative.

Tree farm I can believe, especially if it was using trees that don't grow branches (spruce or birch). Acacia, jungle, dark oak or large oak trees would be trickier.

However, I'm finding it hard to believe that automating a vanilla crop farm or rubber farm (presuming you mean using IC2 rubber trees) is possible with OpenComputers - seems like both would require comparing to blocks that are not obtainable in inventory afaik (a fully grown crop and a rubber log with a full resin hole)

• Here's another problem I'd like to figure out:

Railcraft for 1.10.2 doesn't currently have water tanks (to supply boilers, ore washers, autoclaves, biomass production, etc.) or iron/steel tanks (for buffering steam, biogas, or whatever).

I did some searching myself, and this is the best I've come up with so far:
    https://bdew.net/pressure/infinite-water-source/
    https://bdew.net/pressure/multiblock-tanks/

However, I'd disable the recipe for the eponymous block from the mod (which is crazy overpowered), and any blocks that specifically require it as input/output. Looking on GitHub, it has a recipes.cfg, so I probably wouldn't even need CraftTweaker.

• So, this happened:

That's a boiler explosion. It shouldn't have been possible, I had huge water reserves, including tanks dedicated to supplying water to the boiler. I assume it's some sort of chunk-loading bug, or other wonky issue with liquid flow in pipes.

I think I'm done with Gregtech.

• Large boiler with a steady supply of charcoal or whatever to keep it running? Instead of giving up on GregTech, that seems to me more like a reason to switch early to a biogas setup (small boilers are sufficient to run a canning machine to make and charge some batteries to get the necessary machines going).

• I always play with forgeessentials running that keeps hourly backups for a day, daily backups for a week, and weekly backups for 2 months.

I also prefer keeping bases chunkloaded to avoid issues like that. It's also fun to design systems that survive unattended steady state operation. Multiblocks should never cross chunk boundaries regardless of how clever the dev is.

• Yep, steady supply of charcoal. And water, of course.

I'm just not motivated to rebuild all the stuff I lost in the explosion. Most of my power generation, which was ethanol / steam / nitro diesel / methane, all of my power distribution, my blast furnace, and probably some other stuff. With so much destruction it's hard to take inventory of everything I lost.

"Should have avoided steam in the first place" isn't really helpful now.

I've never liked the "you take serious losses if there's a problem" design philosophy of Gregtech. I think it's toxic. The Crucible is why I won't play Gregtech 6. I could have lived with losing the boiler itself due to a glitch, but I can't quite get my head around how much stuff I'd have to replace.

• Multiblocks should never cross chunk boundaries regardless of how clever the dev is.

The corollary is that if you're designing a mod, even a mod where bad things happen if there's a problem, no multiblock should have a catastrophic failure mode.

That said, I'm pretty sure the boiler did not cross chunk boundaries. When talking about chunk-loading problems, I'm making a wild guess at something that might prevent water from flowing to the boiler properly, since the water source wasn't in the same chunk. I'll never really know what happened.

• The corollary is that if you're designing a mod, even a mod where bad things happen if there's a problem, no multiblock should have a catastrophic failure mode.

You realize that even IC2 has a multiblock with a "catastrophic failure mode", right? The nuclear reactor can produce an explosion 2-3 times bigger than the boiler explosion you showed, depending on what other blocks you have around it.

• To answer how it's possible to make a crop and rubber farm with opencomputers: the geolyzer can see adjacent block metadata. OC is really quite a powerful mod.

• Hi, I have the next crash when attempting to play with modular armor equipped. It's appears after some time after equipping and moving around/recieving damage, but first crash was caused by simple equipping modular helmet. I have similar configuration of plate for all items: 3 ruby, 2 mithrill, 1 polyethylene.
    http://pastebin.com/yH7Rec5t

• I did some searching myself, and this is the best I've come up with so far:
    https://bdew.net/pressure/infinite-water-source/
    https://bdew.net/pressure/multiblock-tanks/

However, I'd disable the recipe for the eponymous block from the mod (which is crazy overpowered), and any blocks that specifically require it as input/output. Looking on GitHub, it has a recipes.cfg, so I probably wouldn't even need CraftTweaker.

I've gotten conflicting results as to whether this mod will work with GregTech pipes: in creative mode, I was able to get the infinite water source and pump from the mod to fill a small boiler via small copper pipes (despite not visually connecting to them), but when I tried it in my survival world with a small boiler that was already running, it didn't.

Edit: connecting a wooden pipe after letting the boiler cool down reveals that steam is getting into the pipes, despite being below the boiler (the wooden pipe ignites immediately, though planks placed in the same position do not). I will file a bug.

To answer how it's possible to make a crop and rubber farm with opencomputers: the geolyzer can see adjacent block metadata. OC is really quite a powerful mod.

That's a neat trick, and not exactly easy to find in the OC documentation. However, after realizing I didn't really need to leave the roof of my charcoal pile in place, I came up with a different technique for populating it manually (with a little help from InvTweaks "auto-refill" option, so I guess not completely manual) that I find easier to deal with, so I'm less certain I want to bother installing OC.

• Chocohead, your patcher worked for a while, but now I'm getting this crash:

This was after breeding some stickreed, and I think I might have gotten some tine and/or coppon as well.

• Official Post

Ah yeah, that'll be from the fact obfuscation changes that method name within the tile entity (hence it was changed in the crop interface). I'll fix that latter today.

145 Mods isn't too many. 9 types of copper and 8 types of tin aren't too many. 3 types of coffee though?

I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realise that what you read was not what I meant.

---- Minecraft Crash Report ----
    // I just don't know what went wrong :(

I see this too much.

• is there a key that would let me view the crop breeding stuff and I'm just not seeing it for some reason?

If you're trying to look up in NEI how to breed certain crops, then no, not by default. Speiger wrote an addon to help with that, though (at least for 1.7.10). Just keep in mind there's still a decent amount of randomness to the crop breeding.

If you mean something else, please clarify.