Regarding the efficiency of Glass Fibre cables

• Having been playing IC2 without any other mods installed, I find using glass fibre cables too inefficient.
    In my humble opinion giving only one glass fibre per 2 energium and a silver dust is too expensive. Having such low energy loss, glass fibre looks like it is meant for long distance travels but all those good attributes are nullified by its atrocious recipe. What would be the point of having 0.025 loss per block when it is even difficult to craft a few tens of them?

I think the game will be much more interesting if crafting glass fibre gave 16 cables like it used to be in the past. I suggest a change.

• Any suggestions on a better recipe?

Um, as I said, keeping the same recipe but yielding 16 cables instead of 1. So that we can have the fun of centrifuging gold and producing energium and getting a reasonable amount of glass fibre.

• Official Post

They used to craft 16 years ago. Like a lot of years ago. The newer old recipe used to be 4 for a diamond, 2 redstone and 6 glass or 6 for the same but with silver ingots instead of redstone.

145 Mods isn't too many. 9 types of copper and 8 types of tin aren't too many. 3 types of coffee though?

I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realise that what you read was not what I meant.

---- Minecraft Crash Report ----
    // I just don't know what went wrong :(

I see this too much.

• Maybe making glassfibre from nether quartz instead of glass?

In terms of plot, quartz glass is actually used for similar things IRL.

From point of balance, Nether Quartz is not used in IC2 and why not feel such gaps instead of adding new resources (e.g. silver)? But as silver is already added and you cannot remove it, use it in other things. For example, Induction Furnace and UU-matter machinery.

His Superior Darkness Earl Cat blesses everybody who reads this with aroma of catnip and bergamot. :Industrial Diamond:

• well what about this: since 1.10.2 (aroma told me this) StackSize crafting is possible. So why dont you make it so that a recipe takes 1 energydust & 16x of all other components. With that you would ensure the usefullnes of the Cable but still making it not to cheap.

Edit: Stacksize crafting = 1 slot uses more then 1 Item. So you can say: glassfiber cable uses 6x 16 glass 1 Energium Dust & 2x 16 silver dust

• I do agree with the original request - crafting glass fiber cables feels way to expensive - so I kind of avoid using them. I think if the recipe would yield more cable (e.g. 16) it would feel more alright.

Also having two energium dust is much. Maybe one could be replaced with quartz or obsidian dust or lapis lazuli dust.

So my suggestion is:
    Replace one energium dust with one obsidian dust.
    Recipe should yield 8 cable.

• The only time I have ever used them is when I had more than 2048 eu/t generating capacity ( from 9 EU reactors and a bunch of semifluid ) and wanted to combine it all into a single feed that could simultaneously recharge multiple MFSUs powering my teleporter. I like the recipe but agree that it should yield more. On the other hand, why make a long run of cable that you have to keep chunk loaded when you can just charge up a lapotron charging crystal, teleport, and fill up your MFSU.