Industrial Clean-up

• I'll need to break this into multiple parts, since these forums, like twitter, don't like big messages. And while it must be under 10k characters, it doesn't say how many i'm using.

I've been using IC2 for years. Since 1.2.5 in fact. However in recent years the mod has become bloated with convoluted and frankly retarded features that go nowhere, poor mod compatibility and machines with no use, but still manage to get later support added to them.

So what am I suggesting? That IC2 be cleaned of all its convoluted mess. And while i'm sure some of the things that need to be cleaned/removed make sense to a small minority, they're unintuitive to the rest of the minecraft world. Already IC2 has declined from being the best tech mod with the most active community to a mod that's actively avoided being put in modpacks, with the least active community.

Now, i'm not saying to tear apart IC2 machines and replace them with a 2-slot interface, with one for fuel and one for output that do everything and cost nothing. Because that would be just as stupid, if not worse. There are enough terrible mods like that that somehow end up popular and spawn dozens of add-ons (*cough*MFR*cough*).

I'm also not going to say that requiring wrenches, power loss and exploding machines are stupid, because I think the people who say that are stupid. Wrenches, power loss and incorrect energy management is a defining aspect of IC2, if not what it's best known for. ("Fairness")

First, i'll start here, outside the mod.

Bug Reporting

It seems to me, to be a completely insane way to report bugs in IC2. I've found one or two bugs and have simply not bothered to report them because of your Mantis bugtracker. No other mod developers use it, and that's not a good thing. Being "special" isn't always a good thing. Especially if involves special caregivers. If it didn't require a new account for it, that might be fine. But as it stands, i'm surely not alone in not wanting to make yet another account for an obsolete bugtracker.

Suggestion: Change to github like every other major developer out there, and never again will bugs fail to be reported. It'll also be easier to sort through and navigate. It doesn't matter if you (the devs) don't like github for some personal preferences, it's about getting bugs reported and github is what all the cool kids use, and because of that no one else needs to make a new account for it.

Changelogs

Seriously, wtf? The last 10+ updates to IC2 have no changelog. The changelog page on curse simply says "bugfixes", not what's been fixed or what, if anything has been added or changed.

Suggestion: Please try to release a concise and short changelog with each update. People always read these to see what's new and what's been fixed. A lack of changelog says "lazy dev".

Now, into the contents of the mod.

Electrolyzer

Why does this even still exist? IC2 has zero inter-mod compatibility in the fluids department, so the oxygen and hydrogen output has no use to other mods, and i've yet to encounter any such use for these two fluids within IC2. So I ask again: Why does this machine even still exist? It's just dead weight and added load time. Once upon a time it made electrolyzed water cells for... I believe it was MFFS forcefields, but that was around 1.4, when IC2 was better... and everywhere.

Suggestion: Remove it until it either has a use, or add something to use the outputs. A gas turbine, fusion reactor, something. Though at this point, a nuclear reactor will likely always take priority over fusion unless there's something bigger and better to use the power, or nuclear reactors get nerfed.

Steam Boiler

I've played with IC2eX for a long time, and never in all my time playing other mods have I ever seen such a terrible boiler design. This boiler is so disasterously convoluted that i've avoided since my first attempt to use it a long time ago, and every few months against my better judgment i've tried to make this thing work time and time again and failed. In fact, on the server I played on once an event was made for players to set up an IC2 steam boiler within an hour. Not a single person even succeded. Half of them gave up, many died from steam explosions (instant disqualification).

IC2eX's steam system is just that bad. Not only is it virtually undocumented, no one has ever done a tutorial, let's play or really anything regarding it. It's firmly avoided by 99% (Rough estimate) of all minecraft players. Hell, Even GregoriousT hasn't touched it, and he's the king of convoluted tech.

Suggestion: Goes without saying: Simplify it. Remove those stupid pressure buttons whose sole purpose is to drip out water and cause explosions, and the static graph that depicts nothing even remotely useful; Follow in the steps of Railcraft. A heat gauge, an internal tank and upgrade slots. If you want to keep your convoluted pressure system in some state, simplify it into a single adjustable valve. A blowoff valve or something. I don't care, as long as it doesn't require a 60 page manual and 3 years of engineering training at a high-paid university in Germany.

Steam Turbine

On the surface, the turbine seems simple enough. Stick in a turbine blade, supply steam, get power. Right? Wrong.

There's an outflow for water, or magical "cold steam" if you're using superheated steam that needs to be taken into account. Unfortunately, if you've never used the turbine before, there's no notification that it outputs anything other than power. So by the time that you get the notification (by supplying steam), you're dead by a steam explosion. *slow clap* It doesn't even use any of the steam, so if you respawn anywhere in the vicinity of the steam turbine, you'll die over and over as steam explosions ensue infinitely.

Because of all the problems brought about by the steam turbine, I suspect this is why the Nuclear Fluid Reactor is virtually unused (surely you've noticed the complete absence of reactor schematics for fluid reactors?).

Suggestion: So what's the steam turbine need? A better GUI, like most IC2 machines. You have a big window with a whole lotta nothing in it. It's a big waste of space. Give the turbine internal tanks of 4 buckets input and 4 for output that's clearly labeled with "steam/superheated steam" when mousing over the input tank and "water/steam" for the output tank. No abrupt explosions from non-existant documentation anymore.

Hell, give it an animated turbine inside the GUI too, that turns when it's functioning to show that it's working and because it "looks cool". Looking cool gets mods far these days. Just look at Immersive Engineering. It's one of the single-worst balanced mods in modern modded minecraft with the compatibility of a home-schooled spoiled millenial redneck. But because it looks cool and is easy to use it makes its way into every modpack now.

Tanks

At first glance, you'd think that a tank would be fairly straightforward. Once again, nope. Not only can you not put anything directly into a tank, you can't even supply anything to a tank from anything within IC2 without multiple pre-configured fluid pulling and ejector upgrades.

As far as storage capacity goes, the IC2 tank is unupgradeable, but stores more than average (used be 8 buckets via BC, now 16 via TE. Behold, the powercreep in action!) at 24b. Once again, the lack of an actual Tank GUI sets the IC2 tank far below its competition. It has what can be described as an item slot, without it saying or showing what its max capacity is.

Suggestion: Another GUI overhaul. Add an item slot for the insertion and removal of cells, buckets, cans, whatever. Along with an actual internal tank graph that rises like any other GUI'd tank with a clearly visible max.

"Being special is only good if it means you stand out above the rest. Not the kind of "special" that requires a caregiver to wipe your ass"

• Solid Canning Machine

This is another "Why does this even exist?" There's already a Solid/Fluid Canning Machine which is CHEAPER than the solid canning machine with 5x more functionality. So why's this still here? It's just more dead weight and longer load times.

Suggestion: Completely remove the solid canning machine. Rename the Solid/Fluid Canning Machine as just "Canning Machine", like the old IC2.

Weighted Item/Fluid Distributor

If convoluted and insane had a face, it would be these 2 blocks. Unlike other blocks in IC2, these 2 aren't even referenced in any documentation. Their GUI is a scrabble board of letters with only a passing relevance to their direction. I can figure these out, sure. But in no situation would I choose to use such a hideous block over a dozen other better-presented options in other mods.

Suggestion: Once again, make the GUI presentable and modern. Surely, you've seen the EnderIO side configuration before? Yes? That. A representation of the block, that you can rotate around and select sides and assign priority. Though, that may be a bit too much work. How about the Immersive Engineering Router then? Each side of the block has a different color slot. Put some simple arrow buttons in the GUI to change the priority instead of that ugly scrabble board of tiles.

Magnetizer

Honestly, I think this is a great thing that's unique to IC2. One that's completely unused by everyone. And until I started making this thread, I knew what it did but never used one in all my years. Likely because it's too situational. It requires you be wearing metal boots to use it and that is likely the biggest failing of the magnetizer.

Suggestion: Remove the need to use Metal Boots to use it, allow the use of any footwear that's not leather. Yes, I know it wouldn't be scientifically accurate. But better that, than having an unused feature that may as well not exist. Just throw a tooltip on the block so people using JEI can see that it both exists and makes a great elevator without uninteresting teleportation. (also, nano boots are carbon fiber, not metal but they work.)

Bottling Plant

As far as I can tell, the only purpose of the Bottling Plant is to take fluids out of containers, or extract them. I guess that's useful for automating the conversion between canned and free-range fluids. Bulky and unnecessary, sure.

Suggestion: Give it more functions beyond just filling and emptying cells/buckets. Similar to the ThermalExpansion Fluid Transposer, with the ability to fill the CF sprayer and any other modded fluid-containing machines, or make some wet/hot blocks by infusing them with water or lava (mossy cobble/brick, obsidian, etc...). And ofc, JEI support, because it doesn't show up as having any uses.

Also, it needs to be able to empty fluid containers from other mods without deleting the empty can/capsule/bottle. Very important.

JEI Support

Half of IC2 machines aren't supported by JEI. You can't see what a machine does, or what you can get from it. Some of the things that do show up, like the blast furnace have the wrong displayed recipes (doesn't include the Air requirement) so it's a no-brainer what needs to be done.

Kinetic Unit System
    Now, The EU system is IC2's true power, and heat is perfectly fine as a means of producing power or being used to run heat-specific machinery. But KU is too far. Not only is there no way to transfer this in any way, shape or form, rendering it almost completely useless from the get-go, the things that produce KU already come in EU-producing versions. Seems more like another half-baked idea that wasn't thought through.

Suggestion: Remove it. Plain and simple. All the machinery involved with the Kinetic System already has EU versions which will ALWAYS take priority over their kinetic counterparts. No machines use it, IC2 doesn't have any viable add-ons anymore to use it. It's just more dead weight.

The Future:

It seems to me that IC2 has stagnated in recent... years. After going experimental, all the aspects of IC2 have spread out down obscure and untenable paths, down which no player wants to tread. With the addition of heat and kinetic energy units and no progress in either method, the main EU system has been neglected.

What I think you should focus on? Heating and Fluid automation for now, then onto power-consuming utilities that are unique and new. Things that aren't overpowered or "productive".

There are suggestions for pipes already, though lacking in detail. But that should be the first step for fluid control, with a seperate type of pipe (duct) for the transference of heat, with an "overheat" penalty, much like overcharging a machine.

I'll detail those below. But those are for after IC2 has gotten all it's $h!+ together.

Industrial Pipes:

You know how they look and how they function. IC2 was built to work with BuildCraft in those long-ago days, so pipes that move fluids like that are ideal. Non-transparent to alleviate the strain on large setups. Lead Industrial Pipes (25mb/t), Iron Industrial Pipes (100mb/t) and Steel Industrial Pipes (250mb/t) with corresponding Industrial Gauge Pipes to allow viewing into the pipe.

Fluids being output into pipes with fluid automation upgrades at the machine, or in more complex setups a powered Vacuum Pump. Similar to the fluid distributor. Able to push or pull from each different side to and from machines in the same pipe network. Overclockers increasing the the amount of mb/t it can push/pull.

Heat Unit Management:

If heat is frontlining, it should play a more important part in machine management. At present it's used only for the Blast Furnace, that hideous mess of a boiler and the fermenter. Anything else using heat is entirely optional, usually being just like the useless Kinetic System: A double of the EU system.

So... rather than have heat as an unpunished sub-energy source like it is now, have it function a bit more dangerously. If a block that holds or builds up heat reaches its maximum temperature, it sets the surrounding blocks on fire and converts into a basic machine block; Requiring the management of temperature as well as EU. This doesn't apply to any machines that don't use heat at present (macerator, extractor, ore washer, etc...).

To manage heat, a seperate pipe-like system: Thermal Ducts would exist. Copper, Bronze and Silver ducts. Each with varying heat capacity and heat loss, much like EU cables. Overheating thermal ducts likewise destroys the duct and turns it into a flowing lava block that'll dissipate on its own.

Exact block temperature can be measured with a Thermometer tool, that those familiar with Nuclear Control would know well.

Heat can be dissipated through long coiled ducts (cheap but space intensive), A Heat Sink (a block that dissipates some of HU/t, upgradeable with reactor vents) or conversion into power via boiler (with loss. No loops.)

For continuity, the Fluid Nuclear Reactor could likewise be configured to output heat. Larger boilers would be nice too, and nerfed small boilers. Alternatively, the EU reactor ditched for a Heat Reactor using the Fluid Reactor Pressure Vessels, so both facilitate automation (which thus far has proved impossible without AE2 or xnet on an EU reactor).

Heat-based upgrades:

Branching out from the Heat Unit management could also include machine upgrades. The ability for your Macerator/Extractor/Compressor to produce a small amount of heat while running at the cost of slightly lowered power consumption. Stacked upgrades cause it to produce more heat with diminishing returns (-10%, -17%, -22%, -25% EU/t). The actual maximum heat capacity of upgraded machines being extremely low, causing them to melt down after a few seconds without cooling.

You end up sacrificing access to one side of your machine, an upgrade slot and a fair amount of resources for a not-overpowered gain. The amount of heat produced by the upgrade isn't enough to heat a boiler without constant running, but is enough to melt your machine. A bank of machines all running constantly however, would be enough to heat a boiler or even two, if you have enough work for them to keep running.

Check out GregTech from 1.4.5 when it was best, for some new machines that is. There's currently a lack of consumers and an abundance of generators.

I think i've gone on long enough.

"Being special is only good if it means you stand out above the rest. Not the kind of "special" that requires a caregiver to wipe your ass"

• Official Post

Ok, so first of all: a lot of the suggestions sound really good. I'll go over each of them and tell you what I think about it.

Please also note that even though I'm a developer of IC2, I don't like and approve of everything that's in IC2. That being said, here we go:

The bugtracker:

The reason why we have our own bugtracker is because there's not really an alternative. We don't use github or bitbucket for our source code and I'm pretty sure using their bugtracker without using them for source code is against their ToS. We also don't really like to depend on other services to hold our data without being able to manually back them up/copy them.

Changelogs:

Yes that's definitely planned. The jenkins already has changelogs and ideally we'd add them to the curse upload as well. There are gradle plugins, that can do that, and I looked into using them. I also looked into how other mods autogenerate their changelogs. That being said, I spent a lot of time trying to do that, but I didn't manage to do it in a satisfying way, however I intend to look into this topic again, once I have a bit more time again.

Electrolyzer:

As it is right now, it doesn't serve much purpose (none that I know of at least). Originally, it was used to extend the storage capacity of MFSUs and MFEs. It was recently redesigned and I'm not sure what the intention of the redesign was or if it's even finished. (Maybe Chocohead can answer that.)

Steam Boiler:

Yes, the current system is a mess and it needs to be rewritten.

Steam turbine:

I like the concept of having the turbine and the condensers (and potentially more turbines) in seperate blocks, so you kinda have a multiblock with each block directly serving a different purpose. However them exploding if you just make the slightest mistake isn't how it should be. Regarding the spinning turbine: maybe.

Tanks:

The reason why tanks have 24 Buckets of capacity is because they're a bit more expensive than other tanks from other mods. (BC's just requires 8 glass. Why would you use ours, if it costs a multiple of that and doesn't have any advantages?) The reason why there is no way of filling/emptying the tank directly is because if we just add filling/emptying slots to the block, you could just use the tank to use tank to fill/empty your fluid containers for free instead of using a machine for it, that needs a bit of running costs. I guess, we could add a non-automatable way of filling/emptying fluid-containers into the tank. Regarding the weird GUI slot: someone thought GUI's should look like in gregtech (which has slots like that). I disagree with that. I'd also use a normal tank gui thing. We'll see about that.

Solid Canning Machine / Fluid Canning Machine / Botteling Plant:

Ideally, I'd like to split the Solid/Fluid canning machine into 3 machines, one, that does the solid canning (The solid canning machine), one that does the fluid enriching (The fluid canning machine) and one that fills/Empties fluid containers (The botteling plant). That way, each machine has its purpose and it's easier to add things like you suggested with cobblestone + water = mossy stone. In other words: instead of removing the solid canning machine, I'd like to give it a purpose again. Imo, the botteling plant is fine with just filling and emptying fluid containers, but yes, it should keep the containers from other mods (It should already do that. It would be nice if you could say with what things it doesn't work).

Weighted Item/Fluid Distributor:

They're a bit of a mess, too. The side priority thing sounds like a good idea. But in the end, they'll be most useful, once we have item and fluid pipes in IC2 itself.

Magnetizer:

I rewrote the magnetizer about half a year ago (or was it a year ago?). It no longer requires you to have metal boots when using it. I know, it's a bit unrealistic, but if it only works with metal armor, it's just useless.

JEI Support:

We have JEI support for most machines. The only machines I don't think we have JEI support for is the Fermenter and the Botteling Plant. It's an ongoing process of adding different machines' recipes.

Kinetic System/Heat System:

We intend to add ways of transporting ku and hu as well. We've been changing the API for it a lot recently, so we'll see how it goes. But yeah, I agree, that right now, especially the kinetic system is a bit weird.

Item/Fluid pipes:

Yes, that's on the todo-list, but we have other things to work on with a higher priority.

Heat based upgrades:

I'm not a huge fan of that suggestion.

All of that being said, please be aware that IC2 is a huge mod and with only 3 people spending their free time on developing IC2, we're currently understaffed. We only have a limited time available to fix bugs, polish/change existing features and add new stuff. We are working on making IC2 better, but as I said, we're doing this in our free time, we don't get payed for it and we only have limited time available.

Thanks for the constructive criticism. We don't get that very often, but it is greatly appreciated. If you have anything else, please let us know.

• Official Post

Some of the complaints and solutions seem to feed into each other, a poorly documented system replaced with another equally obscure but just as poorly documented system:

Take the Solid Canning Machine vs the Fluid/Solid one, you can't possibly rather want the one that does 4 things at once over the solid one, given that the biggest complaint for years is that people can't comprehend a machine doing 4 different things. The solid machine is conceptually so much easier, and isn't really any more limiting in capability than the solid filling mode of the fluid/solid one. I was always of the opinion the fluid/solid one needs to change to only do enrichment, the boiling plant can do both filling and empting, whilst the solid one can fill uranium and food cans. Only then is it really worthy of the old Canning Machine name.

Or having to deal with machines throwing out heat, suddenly heat has moved from a separate energy form to tied into anything using power, despite having being designed for the exact opposite. People are quite unlikely to be using their machines 24/7 just for the sake of trying to power something that really isn't designed for it, remembering that boilers are typically going to be used for EU power generation resulting in creating a loss making cycle (or free energy). The whole boiler concept (which we'll be getting into further below) was for fluid reactors, not as some side recycling and great care was taken so trying to power it using EU would always result in a net power loss. The Electric Heater is there as a convenience if you want to power a Blast Furnace or Fermenter off EU, rather than something that should be used for any heat consuming application.

As a separator, heat is quite useful so that everything isn't just electrically powered no matter the nature of machine. There are some more that should still be integrated in like the Thermal Centrifuge, but it's a tricky thing to balance given the inherent limitations of something as analogue as heat being forced into a digital system. Making it substantially more dangerous with little to no benefit however is not helping anyone though. Boilers explode when given too much heat because they are likely to, running dry at 500C. Creating a system in which everything heat consuming can explode/melt will result in having to make simple ways to balance it out (otherwise we're back to making complicated things to be complicated), yet the code behind it will be anything but. Heat webs of dynamic dissipation and balancing is effectively pushing towards another E-net but for heat, which we could do without another one to worry about. I quite like the idea of it though, even if it is not especially achievable today.

Looping back to some more rational problems:

The Electrolyzer is simply not finished, simple as that. It doesn't actually add anything to the game load time given it's using parts that at least one other machine is also using, but that is very much besides the point. The goal from what I managed to get out of Estebes at the time was for producing deuterium or heavy water so it could be a start for fusion. Fun fact that fusion was the whole reason experimental started, yet 5 years later it is only barely closer. Gas Turbines was another suggestion I had at the time for hydrogen, but we never settled on numbers so it was never done, another issue of free energy vs energy loss given it is just EU used to extract water which is of course free. I disagree that fusion would never get used, it is much safer as a concept than the Nuclear Reactor, and provides and interesting alternative that appeared to be designed to occupy space rather than condensed danger like the Nuclear Reactor. None of this is fixed in stone, but that also means there is nothing stopping it being heavily influenced by the community, they are the ones using it in the end. hint hint

Little side note about fluid compatibility, the Steam Repressurizer allows turning IC2 steam into Railcraft Steam, and Advanced Generators can use our coolant. It's not much but it is the price you pay for maintaining the ratios you want. This is quite matched by the tank which isn't power creeped at all given the capacity of 24 glass in 3 blocks is hardly comparable to the use of iron in one. It needs a way to empty non-Universal Fluid Cell containers in it, but it always did. It was as much a fluid buffer for fluid reactors than a tank for easy use. Gauges are overrated anyway, there is something quaint about a fluid slot :P

The weighted things were a request a couple of months back from people using a bug based on facing ordering to having priority based filtering. The tiles were obvious enough that you were picking a direction in priority order, it was very simple logic to avoid some irritating system designed on you having to click 6 times to swap from most to least important using what was already there code wise. Sure it could have some more elaborate system, but it was a quick fix for a niche use-case to start with. That's probably why there is nothing about them online, not that is it anything new since no one has written heavy documentation in years nor has shown any willingness to. To the people whole occasionally edit the wiki to fix a page I salute you, it is better than nothing like BuildCraft's overhauling. The others are perfectly willing to complain about the lack however.

The magnetizer is very rarely called great, the metal poles really don't lend themselves to nice design being right in the centre of a block, forcing a 2x1 hole instead of potentially a 1x1 for going between floors. Perhaps there is something to be said that no one has ever copied them yet nearly everything else has been. The lack of UU clones always stuck me as odd too, maybe they are both too unique to be stolen.

JEI support brings back fun memories of everyone complaining the recycler would show up for nearly everything, it's all fun and games until you didn't want that machine to show up ahead of the one you were going to use anyway. Some would certainly still benefit from it that have obscure sets of recipes that people wouldn't remember, but for things like the Bottling Machine? Another recycler problem right there.

Steam and KU have always gone hand in hand as the final project Thunderdark started that he spent months on but never got the chance to get working. For years it was plagued with rounding and loading problems that would make even model setups not be 100% reliable from the loss they'd acquire from the very situational code that backed them. Player and I have poked about to get them a lot more predictable, the Steam Boiler will no longer spew out water into turbines whilst below 100C and normal steam when the pressure is aiming for superheated. It won't immediately explode from having a small fraction of steam stuck from the world loading in at different rates, and won't flash between outputs when the heat coming in is different to the target it needs. It even behaves when new water is thrown in rather than ending the operating temperature plummeting, even if strictly neither are less realistic than the other.

The GUI has gone through many iterations, and perhaps is confusing people even beyond what I could predict when I first played about through the iterations in 1.6. For a start, there isn't any graph, it is the water wiggling it's way through the heating elements. It is actually one of the prettier GUIs in that sense, apparently pretty is also too confusing. Modern sure is hard to perfect.

The pressure options and the fact the water output could be ramped up so high were never explained, a Thunderdarkism of what might have been to come but never got anywhere close. The pressure options never even made sense using the internal maths, they were targetted at 0 being 100C and 220-1 being 375C, resulting in a weird scale that made most pressures impossible to achieve. This of course compounded by the fact the boiler would over draw then draw nothing next tick, causing flicking rather than buffering heat like an actual body of water and metal would. The heat draw was also designed upon a base 100 system from a fully maxed out Fluid Heat Exchanger being able to turn Hot Coolant back into Coolant, as that was the only use case for the Boiler, no other heat generator was capable of supplying at least 100 HU. The whole Boiler was only really slanted towards Fluid Reactors despite also being possible to drive lava through it as another 100 HU source (that produces masses of Pahoehoe lava in the process).

The churning of the mechanics didn't help documentation, I did it twice, it changed again, I did it a final time and called it a day. Fortunately it didn't change again in 1.7 after that, but the sheer learning curve meant few tried to use it and even fewer even mentioned what they did to get it working. It certainly didn't take a 60 manual because there was literally a finite number of options that would make it work, everything else would reliably fail. Even "working" was a little stretch because it would lose distilled water (or water if you were that way inclined to let it calcify) as it ran from rounding errors.

Greg had stopped playing with IC2 at this point and switched solely to GT, so there was no chance of saviour from him despite having his own boilers. The fact Greg wasn't using IC2 things is hardly much of a revelation or statement to the things themselves, he'd abandoned IC2 alone long ago for Thunderdark and Player to tinker with. Not before breaking recipes in one of the last 1.6 builds though, that was a nice touch. :|

The story hasn't even ended here, it remains overly sensitive to the configuration it still offers, and a lot of the internal state changing is still totally hidden from the user for the simple reason the GUI is full. Notice the lack of upgrade slots too, it auto-ejects because there's no room for an ejector upgrade to go. Not that it needing one would be an improvement.

It is not a bad concept, but it doesn't have a sane system for the concept to be using, sure letting the pressure change the heat needed is nice, but it's still steam until 220 and everyone knows that now. If the design accounted for the lack of granular heat and the realities of the system it was connecting to there wouldn't be nearly the same level of problems. It is very easy to reject the whole approach and copy another system, but there is no fun in that from developer or player stand point. The player could just use the original and the developer is doing the boring part of getting a system working with none of the fun associated with designing it. It's not been forgotten as something that needs correcting, just the correction itself is much harder than people give credit, especially since worlds can't be broken for the people that are using it. Don't want to be exploding people's Fluid Reactors after all.

The Steam Turbine is well matched to the mechanics the Steam Boiler proposed, whether that is a good thing is a whole other matter. The fact the steam condenses at some point is quite blatantly obvious, it's not a closed system if the steam vanishes which would defeat the whole system. The bigger problem is the need for a Condenser touching it (and I suppose the fact it will move the steam out to an adjacent one on it's own). That is never mentioned anywhere in game, and the Condenser itself doesn't appear to do much until you put 2 and 2 together. Even then, it magically works from them touching rather than anything you have to do beyond that.

An internal tank size of 4 buckets for both steam and distilled water is probably intrinsic of no one understanding the numbers, right now it has a steam tank of 21 buckets and a distilled water one of 1. The steam expands the water by 100x and the steam tank can only drain whilst there is KU being drawn out (so you aren't losing out from explosions strictly), 4 buckets would last a single second at 2mb/t water input before completely filling. Of course, the way it is now it will take just over 5 seconds, but at least the ratios are a little better matched. The produced KU is scaled by how empty the Distilled Water tank is too, if it was 4x bigger, there is 4x less reason to ensure it's kept empty

Explosions from nowhere to go are a reasonable result given it's pressurised steam, the fact the machines don't explode too is the reasonable aspect, at one point they could do. The same way people don't make Nuclear Reactors expecting to fill them with uranium and everything be fine. Something that makes the Steam Boiler easier to understand would probably also help with the Steam Turbine, as soon as it's clear the explosions are from it being unable to vent something, it is clearer what needs to be fixed (rather than just potentially knowing something is stuck in at best). Perhaps a Steam Leak Detector or something of that nature could give the full status of a machine without having to make the machine's GUI full of information scattered everywhere. Putting animated things in just for the sake of it isn't cool though, it's cheesy and a step closer to being MFR merely for downloads. Not that I expect many people download mods based on the animation in a single GUI ;)

On an attached note, the Fluid Reactor lacks designs because it's really hard to make them. The simulation is more complicated from the pulsing of heat into coolant, and if you use overclocked vents it's quite easy to just burn them straight out compared to normal reactors. MOX is even worse, the straight doubling of heat produced at 50% is such a strange balancing mechanic. You could also point out the lack of any new designs for reactors since 2012, people designed ones approaching the best you're going to get and no one else bothered since. It's an art form that has just died out because there was nothing new that justified new designs for so long. Can't expect to hang onto people forever under the notion things might change in the future though.

KU goes hand in hand with HU as a way of putting in new machines that don't have to rely on being sane electrical consuming principles, like a Steam Turbine isn't going to automatically produce power, neither should a Windmill. They are the true systems with more generators than consumers (EU has gained many machines yet only a single generator), purely because to fully overhaul it to allow early game HU power before EU is a step too far for people. That is the real reason they were added and things like the Watermill and Windmill replaced with big KU producing ones. Instead the mechanics are looped back into EU to keep everything integrated, they can't all exist under a single uniform system, and it is easier to have 3 that match what they do well than fewer than sort of work but not amazingly well. The scope problems properly simulating EU produces limits them to an extent too, heat especially would benefit from it, but it would be unbelievably more complicated than the way it works now. A proper method of transferring KU and HU would make them fit a little better, but this again is related to how to do so in a way that is logical and not processing heavy. Heck, even pipes are gated behind this, for years it's been on the TODO list yet it is just such a complicated thing to perfect it was never done. We still need pipes however, somehow.

This is all overshadowed by the bigger issues IC2 has now, which Aroma touched on. IC2 is primarily being made by 3 people who do it as a hobby around other things. Some mods have full time devs who don't really do much else day to day that means they can get same day fixes. A lot only have a single one who might be fine with making things cheaper and adding things on a whim just to get used more. We've been passed being the only tech mod 6 years ago, ironically by being stagnant. If you look back between 1.3 and 1.6.4, the only new interesting things were boats and the obscurator. Neither get used outside of people already using IC2 stuff. Adding and changing things to modernise and refresh has got us here, being called stagnant again. Coupled with the loss of community keeping up with things like the wiki and reactor designs, both caused by the fact they stopped having new things to do and moved on, gives you sorely lacking documentation. This was an issue 5 years ago. Nothing has changed.

The time periods people think back to were a different attitude, people put up with a lot worse design compared to now, and would often be happy to mess about with things for weeks to work them out because that's all there was. Now there is always an easier option that feels friendlier, there is nothing forcing you to use GT like in 1.4 or IC2 pre 1.3. We can't race to the bottom because of our size and past history, and have no desire to do so anyway. Neither can we cater to everyone, and have long since stopped trying to, there is no hope to compete to have the clearest GUIs, the cheapest ore doubling nor the biggest power generation. You could argue we never have, depends how much weighting you put on Alblaka actually listening to the suggestion and support forums. It is a goal for what we envisage IC2 to be that really drives you into working on it, not the thought of the beating how many things can get moved in a block like EnderIO or how many layers of crafting can you nest but get away with it like Thermal Expansion. Don't think I haven't noticed Lemming.

For example, I added new things in Build 43 half a week ago, they are aiming to smooth the jump to UU and resolve some of the issues of the expense for naturally generated things. There is no parallel to any other mod either way, but UU now is simply too expensive at first. It's something I proposed at the start of June last year, but I only found the opportunity to get around to adding it now. Plenty of other things changed and a few new things came in the mean time, but that's the way it worked out. Leaving new things unfinished is what dented 1.7 so badly, things like the Turning Table and steam system were never liked because they didn't have a feel like they were ever ready to be used. Contrast to something like Crops that people were very happy to have come back, even those it took well over a year after the initial port just to get them in a good state to look finished.

IC2 could certainly do with something like a book to help explain the new things (like BuildCraft is adding), but someone has to write the text for it; and taking BuildCraft's example, their book is still mostly empty. I'd rather add something that makes the tech tree a little nicer if you know how to use it then work out some way of explaining it to everyone, than trying to explain everything that's already here just for questions to still get asked and it change later anyway. There will be a time when the latter is appropriate, but that is when things are a little more settled and there's less chance of things being completely replaced for a better initial user experience without a guide. Maybe the 1.13 port when there is amble chance to break anything we want. It does mean things like this are good to get done now, big changes are much harder when there is backwards compat to worry about.

So sure, the wall of text might well come off as overly defensive of things written many years ago, some merely months old, but the broadening of IC2 happened to allow new things to come without just being GT. Without just cloning things out of Thermal Expansion or Buildcraft or EnderIO. There is plenty of fire left to make IC2 better, just it seems not in enough people to inspire everyone else.

145 Mods isn't too many. 9 types of copper and 8 types of tin aren't too many. 3 types of coffee though?

I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realise that what you read was not what I meant.

---- Minecraft Crash Report ----
    // I just don't know what went wrong :(

I see this too much.

• Thanks to Aroma who deleted my post and destorying the formatting.

Second, thanks to greg who gave me the post back.

Third: Good luck with next time.

First of all. I am not a IC2Exp dev i am not interested in becoming one but i would like to know what you think about Classic. Now let me add some comments so you have more weight.

Quote The bugtracker:

The reason why we have our own bugtracker is because there's not really an alternative. We don't use github or bitbucket for our source code and I'm pretty sure using their bugtracker without using them for source code is against their ToS. We also don't really like to depend on other services to hold our data without being able to manually back them up/copy them.

Look at IC2Classic, Its bugtracker is also on github, or look at other mods that don't have their sourcecode shared on github they also have a tracker.

If you really want to be save put the API on to Github that is anyway publicly accessable. So there is no reason why not, even if closed source!

Also relying on another service to hold your data? How much bullshit is that? You always depend/rely on someone, and github is more relyable/dependable then any of this forum (sry Imer nothing personal),

1538-ea05985ae8e391f90adb5071690c9c3c12226a0b.png

Aroma1997 wrote:

Changelogs:

Yes that's definitely planned. The jenkins already has changelogs and ideally we'd add them to the curse upload as well. There are gradle plugins, that can do that, and I looked into using them. I also looked into how other mods autogenerate their changelogs. That being said, I spent a lot of time trying to do that, but I didn't manage to do it in a satisfying way, however I intend to look into this topic again, once I have a bit more time again.

First of all your Jenkins Changelogs are only Dev Changelogs not publicly shown changelogs, it is only either very cryptic or referencing another issue without any context at all. Nothing to show to any person who has no idea about coding! (You need to be a dev to understand that type of changelog)

1538-ea05985ae8e391f90adb5071690c9c3c12226a0b.png Aroma1997 wrote: Magnetizer:

I rewrote the magnetizer about half a year ago (or was it a year ago?). It no longer requires you to have metal boots when using it. I know, it's a bit unrealistic, but if it only works with metal armor, it's just useless.

Actually it could have some use if its range wasn't just so small (its 10 - 20 blocks i think), Why not upgrade its range by a bit since its actually one of the fastes ways to travel vertically up. Compared to a jetpack at least. (Classic again implemented that idea to improve it)

Aroma1997 wrote:

Item/Fluid pipes:

Yes, that's on the todo-list, but we have other things to work on with a higher priority.

Interesting. I can't wait to see that, at least then keep this stuff simple to use and leave player out of the development of these.

Aroma1997 wrote:

Heat based upgrades:

I'm not a huge fan of that suggestion.

I have to agree, It would be nice if you guys would add maybe more upgrades to improve machines more or in different way for example, Efficency upgrades to reduce power cost (doesnt have to be cheap), better Overclocker upgrades maybe or way to expand the Upgrade slots without rewriteing every single machine (maybe an upgrade container that allows to store upgrades and it injects the effect directly into the machine when used in machine?)

There is a reason why ic2c has over 40 upgrades because i went overboard with it but also they allow much more detail work on stuff, but i got out of the topic. The suggeted upgrades don't sound really good but it would be defenetly needed to expand on the Upgrade System since IC2Exp has such a great foundation for this type of thing. (Not joking)

Now about chocoheads discussion i want to make 1 point and ask 1 question: Remember how you guys often said that you don't have much time to work on things (that was back in 1.7.10 times) and then out of nowhere later the 1.8.9-1.10.2 update came out?

Remember that? My point being you guys can't oftenly sit together to get shit done but as soon it has to be about being in the latest version everyone has time now to work on this massive update or even core rewrite (which was done in 1.8.9-1.10.2 version) but not to get the mod even very good designed.

I know IRL isn't always giving time but you guys lack priority, and open to many new projects without closing many old ones,

This is getting soon to levels of Techreborn just more stable.

But these are my 5 cents about IC2Exp.

• Official Post

Aroma, it is not okay to just delete a Post without a good reason. Just removing the Post wont fix the Issues IC2exp is for sure still having. It is not a wrong thing to point out that there is stuff broken, and that there is fixes for that broken stuff, even if that incorporates usage of examples that are tied very closely to another "product".

Your reason for deletion was "removal of propaganda", but I am very sure that most of the said things in that post are actually true, even if they have a small opinion attached to them.

Just try to disprove the wrong things instead of flat out silencing people next time.

• Official Post

Remember how you guys often said that you don't have much time to work on things (that was back in 1.7.10 times) and then out of nowhere later the 1.8.9-1.10.2 update came out?

Remember that? My point being you guys can't oftenly sit together to get shit done but as soon it has to be about being in the latest version everyone has time now to work on this massive update or even core rewrite (which was done in 1.8.9-1.10.2 version) but not to get the mod even very good designed.

As I said to you earlier, there is a huge difference between maintaining code to get it back to how it worked before and improving it. These ports do not take that much time in the grand scheme of things, especially if they fall in practical points in the year for having time to do them (which those did). Porting also has a clear goal, you have x amount of errors, once all of them are gone the hardest part normally is done. Contrast that to when you're trying to rework something, there is no fixed goal, the tech tree is not something as simple as it compiles/it doesn't. That is where the time is really sunk, which you said yourself you know full well, hence sure time can be found for the odd port every half a year (at least), but deeper changes don't come about every week.

I know IRL isn't always giving time but you guys lack priority, and open to many new projects without closing many old ones

Priority is how we even still have IC2, if you try and fix everything you will burn out and never want to do anything. The new projects bring new interest back to a code base that has had many an hour given to it - if an old one doesn't work quite right but you're not sure why, yet it has still taken ages to not progress any further, it's not a surprise that they get left. Even Alblaka left partly from burnout, there are practical limits that have to be taken, especially when you could be spending the free time doing something else.

This is getting soon to levels of Techreborn just more stable

IC2 has been getting more stable yet you claim it's getting worse, more works than in 1.7! The key difference is Tech Reborn would ditch all but the newest version of Minecraft to try and focus on getting that better, which to an extent worked. But then they eventually gave up from a project with quite colossal scope which was never entirely realistic given the nature of how things worked out. It's now getting rewritten again ready for the changes 1.13 bring, with the whole paradigm shifting to be slightly less true a clone to allow simpler implementations (especially for things like cables). IC2 stuck to the original goal with a waiting period until it got there, eventually the E-net problem was solved (at least in part) and nothing else has lost out as a result. Not to say everything works still, but at least we're moving forward compared to Tech Reborn that only ever seems to move sideways.

Aroma, it is not okay to just delete a Post without a good reason. Just removing the Post wont fix the Issues IC2exp is for sure still having. It is not a wrong thing to point out that there is stuff broken, and that there is fixes for that broken stuff, even if that incorporates usage of examples that are tied very closely to another "product".

Your reason for deletion was "removal of propaganda", but I am very sure that most of the said things in that post are actually true, even if they have a small opinion attached to them.

Just try to disprove the wrong things instead of flat out silencing people next time.

To be fair Speiger's post really wouldn't fix the issues it's having either. It doesn't point out anything else that the original didn't, nor provide any other solutions than adding in Classic's OP upgrades (if you want cheap and fast production, scale more machines not upgrades) or extending the Magnetizer (remembering you can stack them to boost range). There are many ways to skin a cat, but that doesn't mean you're improving the discussion by criticising one then providing some impractical solutions, not even for all the criticisms.

Take the changelogs, if they're being automatically put on Curse, when do the "better" changelogs magically appear? Editing each and every build on Curse to describe it? Because people are really concerned when the thing that uploades them is updated (build 44)? Or for "Fix potential cme when saving chunks" (build 45) they don't know what a CME is? Sometimes yes, the changes are a tad obscure, but when it is build by build it is simply not a logical solution to just do every one as if it's a summary for a product updated once a month. If people are really that worried, they are completely free to ask, but given no one ever has probably means they don't care quite as much as you do. Heck, for years people coped with FTB releasing pack updates with no information at all (often they still don't), yet that is a once a month update product. Many more people have asked about why their configs don't work across very different versions (pre 1.8 and post 1.8) which I'm surprised you haven't suggested plastering the solution on the background of the forum.

On a more real note, many things in propaganda are also true, it is how you place the things that are not that makes it effective. Such as the fact Classic is approaching abandonment and thus not updating past 1.10. It makes Classic seem like an alternative way of doing the same thing, rather than another mod that happens to have shared a common heritage. You could just as easily say GT fulfils most of the issues, but that doesn't mean that is a useful answer either. This is about how IC2 can (and needs) to change, not let's pick a model to aim for that is sort of similar but not really at all. I don't think Speiger was quite aiming for this however, he is always wanting attention for Classic for people to critique it in the same way, thus it is really him just beating his own 1.10.2 drum.

On a slightly connected note, it would be nice if these didn't always end up being side tracked about how one IC2 does something whilst the other doesn't, rather than finding what works best for the one in question based on what it already has. Isolated suggestions are often much better that way, as there is no other baggage from the particulars of an implementation and it's not just clone the feature. For example, "why not add these upgrades *list* *reasons*" is better than "Classic added these *list* upgrades, you should too". It's little differences, but if the suggestion itself is neutral, even if you have to put an example mod that does it to explain the point better afterwards, it homes in on what makes the implementation better (or why the suggestion is an improvement over the current situation) rather than what makes the mod that does it better. The original post does this well for the most part, there are examples of similar mechanics but it is like Railcraft's boiler or TE's Fluid Transposer and an explanation of the features they have that is better than now rather than the fact they've done something similar that you think is better justifies copying it.

145 Mods isn't too many. 9 types of copper and 8 types of tin aren't too many. 3 types of coffee though?

I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realise that what you read was not what I meant.

I see this too much.

• Railcraft is basically dead. The most recent versions don't have boilers, steam turbines or engines anymore. But they were a prime example of a boiler and turbine system that's simple to use and difficult to master. Which should be the goal of all game content in every mod and any game. More so with RC's old steam system functioning more in line with IC2's than say Thermal Expansion's boilers and steam dynamos (which are ridiculous, and overpowered).

Boilers had configurable sizes, required large amounts of fuel to achieve the right temperature and produced steam and consumed fuel relative to their temperature. Simple. Fuel + Boiler = Heat. Heat + water = steam. Higher heat = more steam. Highest heat = less fuel. Water + Dry Boiler = Boom.

No unlabelled buttons, no mysterious numbers that do "something", no water output instead of steam, no fatal steam explosions for looking at it wrong.

The turbine too: Expensive to build, requires a Turbine disc like IC2 (more expensive though) outputs power relative to steam, outputs water byproduct. Not much different from IC2, but it's SIMPLE. It's UNDERSTANDABLE. It won't kill you 20 times because it doesn't come with a manual. Both the turbine and the boiler have clear and concise GUIs that show a water gauge, a steam gauge and a temperature gauge. The IC2 ones have none of these. They're entirely guesswork.

Once again, being special is only fine if it makes you stand out above the rest. Not the kind of special that requires a caregiver to wipe your ass.

• Official Post

Ok, so first of all: a lot of the suggestions sound really good. I'll go over each of them and tell you what I think about it.

First of all your Jenkins Changelogs are only Dev Changelogs not publicly shown changelogs, it is only either very cryptic or referencing another issue without any context at all. Nothing to show to any person who has no idea about coding! (You need to be a dev to understand that type of changelog)

Just because you can't read it doesn't mean other people can't read it. People who do read changelogs will be able to understand it.

Why not upgrade its range by a bit since its actually one of the fastes ways to travel vertically up. Compared to a jetpack at least. (Classic again implemented that idea to improve it)

Obviously you didn't do your homework again this time:

You can put overclocker upgrades into the magnetizer ever since I rewrote it.

Now about chocoheads discussion i want to make 1 point and ask 1 question: Remember how you guys often said that you don't have much time to work on things (that was back in 1.7.10 times) and then out of nowhere later the 1.8.9-1.10.2 update came out?

I know IRL isn't always giving time but you guys lack priority, and open to many new projects without closing many old ones,

This is getting soon to levels of Techreborn just more stable.

No. That's not true. We do talk to each other to make progress and get things done, but you have to remember we all have a real life. You should think about yourself if you (for some reason) have more time available than we three combined.

I know that it's not good to delete a post, but there is a difference between constructive criticism (what VermillionX did) and flaming/shittalking about things (what Speiger did). I know IC2 has issues, but please don't start your propaganda about how shit IC2 is in your opinion just because of your desire to make other people down.(Not directed at you btw, Greg)

Anyways, I will continue to remove said posts to keep the discussion focused and constructive. I do not like being challenged in my own territory.

I generally do disprove wrong things assuming I have the time to do so. (I always have).

Also could we talk about politics in a different post, so we can stay on topic?

Railcraft is basically dead. The most recent versions don't have boilers, steam turbines or engines anymore. But they were a prime example of a boiler and turbine system that's simple to use and difficult to master. Which should be the goal of all game content in every mod and any game. More so with RC's old steam system functioning more in line with IC2's than say Thermal Expansion's boilers and steam dynamos (which are ridiculous, and overpowered).

Boilers had configurable sizes, required large amounts of fuel to achieve the right temperature and produced steam and consumed fuel relative to their temperature. Simple. Fuel + Boiler = Heat. Heat + water = steam. Higher heat = more steam. Highest heat = less fuel. Water + Dry Boiler = Boom.

No unlabelled buttons, no mysterious numbers that do "something", no water output instead of steam, no fatal steam explosions for looking at it wrong.

The turbine too: Expensive to build, requires a Turbine disc like IC2 (more expensive though) outputs power relative to steam, outputs water byproduct. Not much different from IC2, but it's SIMPLE. It's UNDERSTANDABLE. It won't kill you 20 times because it doesn't come with a manual. Both the turbine and the boiler have clear and concise GUIs that show a water gauge, a steam gauge and a temperature gauge. The IC2 ones have none of these. They're entirely guesswork.

Once again, being special is only fine if it makes you stand out above the rest. Not the kind of special that requires a caregiver to wipe your ass.

Yes, the steam system right now is a mess and a lot of things in IC2 are a bit overcomplicated. I also really liked RC's boiler system and I have a couple of ideas in mind.

• *nothing gets done, ever*

*critizism from regular people*

*"that's bad, here's how to fix it"*

*agreement by officials*

*"sure that's bad, we will fix it"*
    *nothing gets done, ever*

IC2 is like Russia :pinch::Mining Laser:

• Official Post

There's been 53 builds since the original post (5 more than the existing 48 up to that point), and many of those have had features in rather than just bug fixes. So you know, it's not like we haven't tried at all. Doing some of the suggestions are limited by not breaking existing setups too, others not so much :whistling:

Release versions have reasonable changelogs now at least, speaking of which we could probably do with another soon.

I see this too much.

• Official Post

Like, in-world setups? Of machines and such?

Primarily yes. If it's just tweaking a GUI then normally that's fine, but changing how something works or what it needs will break people's things in existing worlds.

I see this too much.

• Servers are getting wiped, players start playing from a scratch, broken setups can be dismantled and rebuilded. With it's content amount and reputation, IC2 have quite some weight to ask for recreating a world, if you get what I mean. After all, it's IC2 Experimental, for such title you guys sure lack spirit of adventure (of experimentation) on your way. I'm not that full of myself to deny reasons behind it (not a dev), but try to stop treating the mod like a president's daugther for once.

• Official Post

Servers are getting wiped, players start playing from a scratch, broken setups can be dismantled and rebuilded. With it's content amount and reputation, IC2 have quite some weight to ask for recreating a world, if you get what I mean. After all, it's IC2 Experimental, for such title you guys sure lack spirit of adventure (of experimentation) on your way. I'm not that full of myself to deny reasons behind it (not a dev), but try to stop treating the mod like a president's daugther for once.

Whilst we certainly could, all you have to do is look back a couple of years to when we did. With 1.6 and especially 1.7 (when experimental was first a thing) there were several times where things completely changed and would not really work anymore. Sure some people would restart or rebuild their things, but for many people it just puts them off ever making it in the first place if there is the chance it will all need rebuilding sometime later. Playing Russian roulette updating is not the most fun thing to do either, already seen several mods which have crash issues from being updated along side other mods/Forge (something IC2 at least has avoided).

Part of the changes in build 93 open the possibility of keeping the old blocks with new ones placing differently at least, never tried it for potentially three way tile entity resolving though.

I see this too much.

• Official Post

If actions of "completely change things several times" brought only "things would not really work anymore", that's one epic fail, what else can I say...

The point was things changing so that anyone using them how they used to stopped working, not that changing things broke them generally. The moral of the story is that people don't restart worlds all that often but do seem to jump for new things if they seem exciting/different.

I see this too much.

• Official Post

Guess what I was trying to say. Nothing exciting/different (in a good way) was added.

There were exciting things like the steam reactors, just without a concrete description of how they're meant to work setups based on experimenting had no guarantee of working after updates (a couple of which did indeed break existing setups). Things would probably be more exciting if people had an idea how they worked as it opens them up more as an option without the hours of trying it out in creative first, and it would've made the changes between versions easier to understand.

I see this too much.