Would you be interested in playing on this server? 13
The result is only visible to the participants.
Hi everyone! I'm not sure if you remember me, I played a lot on the Kirara servers but then disappeared for a while.
Now that things are a bit more stable in my life, I have some time to play Gregtech again, and was thinking of giving GT6 a go. The GT6 I remember only had the crucible and barely any machinery, but it's grown amazingly since then, thanks to the relentless hard work of Greg and all the players. Unfortunately, I couldn't find a GT6 modpack that had all the things I wanted, so I plan to set one up and hopefully get it rolling by June.
The modpack will, of course, be GT6-centric. The gameplay experience would emphasize the following points:
Resource Acquisition Balancing
A common complaint is the absolutely massive amount of resources generated by activities like IC2 crops or Forestry Bees blowing all balance out the window. It often felt as though breeding crops was the real endgame - after all, why mine anything when your swamp farm produces lapotrons with ease?
Similarly, resource acquisition often became an arms race of auto-miners or quarrying bots. Too often biomes are reduced to precipitous potholes extending to bedrock thanks in no small part to the greed of man.
- Crops and Bees will likely be removed, made non-automatable, or be limited to the spawn village where players can claim ownership of a small plot.
- Auto-mining will likely be restricted to one device per player if any is given at all.
- Resource costs will be balanced around the quantities reasonably expected for hand mining.
- Monster drops and TF loot will be improved to encourage exploration.
Mod List (Check post #11 for current nightly list)
*Since this is still in the planning stage, the following list will change a lot.
I'm very open to suggestions and feedback. Please reply if you know some mods that you think should be included!
Mods that will definitely make it in:
- GregTech 6 - Of course.
- Realistic Terrain Generation - Best worldgen provider for 1.7.10.
Minetweaker and Modtweaker - Essentially required to deliver the functionality.
- MTUtils - For GT6 compatibility. Thanks to _de_le_ted_ for finding it.
Hunger Overhaul for making hunger of a trivial mechanic
- Spice of Life also likely to be added.
Server side only:
- Morpheus - Skipping nights made easy.
- Opis and FastCraft - To rescue us from TPS dips.
- Dynmap - GT6 blocks don't render, but at least it's something...
- Chunk Pregenerator - It's not entirely compatible with RTG but it can partially work.
- AromaBackup - So we don't lose the world on accident.
Client side only:
- NEI and addons for the mods being used.
- Damage Indicators to help with combat.
- Smart Moving and dependencies.
- Schematica, because it's an awesome mod for building.
- Inventory Tweaks for QoL.
- Optifine for improved FPS and visual settings.
Aesthetic & Functional:
- Bibliocraft and Bibliowoods - Some of its blocks are laggy, so don't spam them!
- ExtraBiomes XL - Works great after some BiomeTweaker setting.
- BIomes O'Plenty - Works great after some BiomeTweaker setting.
- Underground Biomes Constructs - GT worldgen works flawlessly with it.
- Better Records - Will likely make it, barring compatibility concerns
- Twilight Forest - Amazing mod, and will be well-integrated with GT in this pack.
- Chisel - Who could say no to more decorative blocks?
- Pam's Harvestcraft - Very nice variety of crops and food items. Possibly Spice of Life will be included as well.
- ZTones - Nice assortment of blocks.
- Grimoire of Gaia - more mobs to fight, also makes some overworld biomes more dangerous to settle in (e.g. Swamp).
- Carpenter's Blocks - Don't make your whole base out of these!
- Applied Energistics and ExtraCells - Logistics Pipes may replace or be used alongside this? Will have to balance.
- Forestry - Some features may be disabled. Mod engines are no longer used, as GT engines can power these.
- Railcraft - Who doesn't love rails? Some machines and recipes will be disabled.
Mods that will likely make it in:
- Logistics Pipes - Considered as AE replacement or supplement, because it looks cool.
- GraviSuite - Will likely make it, barring compatibility concerns
- IC2NuclearControl - Does it still work? It was broken in Kirara when I played.
- Redlogic - GT seems to achieve a lot of what this mod does, so not sure if I will keep it in.
Mods that are being considered:
- IHL - Will need significant work to modify if included.
- GregsLighting - Mod still alive?
- Galacticraft - Not everyone used this, so it'll be put to a vote by the prospective players.
- Thaumcraft - Not everyone liked magic in a tech server, so this'll be put to a vote by the prospective players.
- MalisisDoors - I didn't see anyone use this, but it looks good.
Mods that are unlikely to be included:
- IronChest - GT has its own chests, so it's redundant.
- CustomChestLoot - I am happy with GT default dungeon loot, and will most likely keep them that way.
- JABBA - GT has its own barrels, so it's redundant.
- BuildCraft - Redundant
- EnderIO - Redundant
- Tinkers' Construct - Virtually impossible to balance. Redundant with GT mechanics.
- Custom Ore Generation - Using GT6 Oregen.
- PFAA (Per Fabrica Ad Astra) - Using GT6 Oregen.
- Computercraft - Virtually impossible to balance.
- OpenComputers & Computronics - See above.
- QwerTech - Crashes on startup.
Server Technical Details
The server will likely be located in US East. This minimizes ping for all players in Europe and the continental United States. (Sorry, Kiwis and Australians. Hopefully it'll still be playable.)
Membership will be via whitelist.
A secondary Test Server will probably not happen as membership is not very high at the moment, but I will test features before rolling them out to the main server.
I'd love to hear any comments or feedback about this server idea, so without further ado, let's open discussion!