Single Sound option?

• Official Post

Is there any way to have one generalized "on" sound, such that you know something is working, but not separate sounds for a specific machine? Maybe a generalized hum?

This is per Base IC2:

I find there's often too much sound going on, such that coming into range of my machine area doesn't always trigger every sound, or I have "dueling sounds". A Compressor may be overriding my macerators, or the macerators are overriding the sound of my extractor. I appreciate having notification my work is complete, but the clashing sounds are dissonant.

• Official Post

The sounds are sorted in distance away from the player, but if you're not near enough to receive the packet sometimes some sounds won't start playing. The opposite effect can happen to with ghost sounds that never end. The logistics of fixing it are a little annoying as it would involve all players in the world receiving all machine sound updates just in the off chance they'll go near it. As for your issue in particular I guess all the sound files could be replaced by a single one and then the only fighting you might hear is one machine being louder than the other rather than having a different sound too.

145 Mods isn't too many. 9 types of copper and 8 types of tin aren't too many. 3 types of coffee though?

I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realise that what you read was not what I meant.

---- Minecraft Crash Report ----
    // I just don't know what went wrong :(

I see this too much.

• Rather than all players, one option is to send the sound events to a square of chunks, and when a player crosses a chunk boundary, check if the newly added row (of the, say, 5x5-chunk active sound square, not the far larger player view/chunkload square!)) has any active sounds in it. The client would be in charge of the final radius check for whether a sound is actually audible at the moment, and for discarding the sound source when they cross a chunk boundary out of its update square. That also gives players a more-or-less intuitive way to fix ghost sounds, if any future bug or poorly-timed exception could ever leave one around.

• Official Post

That is the ideal solution, but then the server has to worry about whether a player is about to enter the square and thus whether it needs to know about the sound or not. Especially for sounds that only play once (like a wrench or treetap) it could even end up playing the sound late for a player that moves close enough after the sound started. Whilst they are only minor problems, it's minor problems we're still plagued with now so it'd be nice to fix it properly.

Also the client will always have the final say on whether a sound is audible, if it doesn't want any sounds (or even just very quiet ones) we're not going to force them on people in SMP ;)

145 Mods isn't too many. 9 types of copper and 8 types of tin aren't too many. 3 types of coffee though?

I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realise that what you read was not what I meant.

---- Minecraft Crash Report ----
    // I just don't know what went wrong :(

I see this too much.