[AddOn v1.15] Reactor heater

• Every been annoyed at all the lava buckets you need to place in a breeder reactor to get it up to temperature?
    Well I was annoyed the first time it had to do it. So I decided to make the "Reactor heater"
    This addon adds an item to Industrialcraft, the "Reactor Heater" and what it does is
    basically heat the hull of a reactor to a target heat. It cannot cool that reactor and if it runs out of energy it can
    no longer provide anymore heat to the reactor.
    The reactor heater heats the reactor by using it's stored energy to create heat. It does so at a rate of 1 EU for 1 heat
    and provides a maximum heat of 200 per pulse.
    If the hull reaches the preset heat it will just stop heating until the hull drops below that preset heat level
    The heater stores 128000 energy units which (given the fact that 1 EU equals 1 heat) is the same as 64 lava buckets

The crafting recipe is:
    Integrated heat dispenser | glowstone dust | Integrated heat dispenser
    Energy crystal | electronic circuit | Energy crystal

Usage:
    Just craft the heater, charge it and insert it an empty slot in the reactor.
    When you do this you will notice that the reactor GUI has an extra bit where you
    can set the target heat level.

Please do:
    Give your opinion about this addon but please be constructive. If you don't like it you can
    say so but add why you don't like it. If you like it enjoy and also leave a comment why
    you like it :p
    And of course suggestions are always welcome (maybe you don't like the recipe or energy storage?)
    Also I'm unsure how I need to prepare this for SMP so any help there is also welcome

Installation:
    Download the zip file and copy the content of it in the industrial craft jar.
    (don't add it to the mods folder, you need to copy the content in the industrial craft jar
    because it modifies industrial craft files)

ps: this is my first mod so I hope it has a bit of quality :p

• Sounds great I haven't built a breeder reactor yet when i do i will def try this out.
    Nice job buddy

After Thought what if it used energy from the reactor to keep running?

• WHOHOO! Equal and negative breeders ftw!
    thank you for this I may return to breeding because of this

• THANK YOU! :love: Makes my breeding sequence easier

Did a quick sprite for myself I thought I would share in-case creator or anyone else wants it. Everyone feel free to use it however you want. Looks a lot like my space heater cept more square instead of rectangle heh.

There was 2 sprites in the original (in index mode) one colored one not so I think the creator is/may still be working on the charged/uncharged sprite rendering code, I also added the off sprite just for compliance :thumbup:

Thanks again for the mod!

Just rename to item_1.png and add to the IC2 jar file (@ location ic2/sprites inside the IC2 jar file)

Download: http://imgur.com/xn02g

• Sounds great I haven't built a breeder reactor yet when i do i will def try this out.
    Nice job buddy

After Thought what if it used energy from the reactor to keep running?

hmmm didn't think about that. I might need to think about it a bit. I don't want it to be to powerful because that might ruin it
    But yeah great suggestion thanks.

Quote from l3lueD4izon

There was 2 sprites in the original (in index mode) one colored one not so I think the creator is/may still be working on the charged/uncharged sprite rendering code, I also added the off sprite just for compliance :thumbup:

Yeah I had two sprites in it because I wanted to have an off one for when the heater didn't heat. Haven't figured out how to do that yet. Last thing I tried it changed the sprite for every heater item in the game :p
    Also you sprite looks perfect. Exactly what it needed. So would you be ok with it if I used yours in the addon? (Off course you'll get all the credit for it ;) )

• The reactor heater heats the reactor by using it's stored energy to create heat. It does so at a rate of 1 EU for 1 heat
    and provides a maximum heat of 200 per tick.

Is it per tick (20times/s) or per pulse(1time/s)?

• Yeah I had two sprites in it because I wanted to have an off one for when the heater didn't heat. Haven't figured out how to do that yet. Last thing I tried it changed the sprite for every heater item in the game :

I am only a real novice coder at best but umm, unless ya havent already I would want to check the Re-Battery code as it has 5 different sprites it changes between. I would think some if conditions and connect those to the power state of the nuclear reactor that way it only glows when actually in the reactor, and then gets it glow brightness determined by the energy level contained by the heater (while in the reactor powered on). You could also go the way of how much the heater is outputting.

Also you sprite looks perfect. Exactly what it needed. So would you be ok with it if I used yours in the addon? (Off course you'll get all the credit for it ;) )

Sure thing, although now that I slept I think it's got a little too much glow. I will try and redo it to make it a little better for ya. Also if you get the animation worked out I can add additional sprite glow levels, as many as u need. :thumbup:

As for the mod, still loving it :D , I designed one that ate up the heater energy fast, then I designed one that ate the cooling components fast. Still trying to find the correct balance for optimal breeding. I am also still on 0 chamber so lots and lots of data to process. I was only about 3 or 4 hours into breeding when I found the mod soooo, maybe me trying to be cheap and leave in the heater to maintain max heat the entire breeding process is a bad idea. I notice other designs that use lava buckets only heat to a certain point then stop.

• Well I'm planning to update this mod soon. I want to make the heater gui only appear when there is actually a heater in the reactor
    and changing sprites.

However my exams start next week (studying civil engineering) so I don't have to much spare time on my hands :s

• isn't the whole point of doing a reactor to make energy as eu and keep the temperature down else the reactor will explode. i see no point to this because uranium itself will create 1 heat per tick and that is enuf to get u to 50 eu/t if u make a mark 2 reactor.

• isn't the whole point of doing a reactor to make energy as eu and keep the temperature down else the reactor will explode. i see no point to this because uranium itself will create 1 heat per tick and that is enuf to get u to 50 eu/t if u make a mark 2 reactor.

I think the idea is to be able to easily maintain a Duke Nukem over Nine Thousand reactor for epic breeding capabilities.

• It's not made to make it easier to maintain. It's made to make it easier to get to that heat.
    Otherwise it's so annoying to put lava buckets in there to heat it up to to right heat

• Looks pretty good! Could you post a better picture with a recipe? I think that this should get out of pending add-ons soon.

• By the way, I love the sprite! It looks like it belongs perfectly with the other reactor parts. 8)

• Is this compatible with 1.23, or should I hold of on updating?

GENERATION 26: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the
    generation. Social experiment.

• This is a very good add-on and I would love to see it updated as well, especially with l3lueD4izon's sprite. We need our insane breeding reactor arrays! This is something that should be added to the complex world of IC2 nuclear reacting. (Along with the thermometer add-on)
    Please! If anyone can continue this with the better sprite please do!