MFSU and You

• Ok so now my energy grid is about done, just tweeking it so I can use it to store a bit of power and use as required.

So I need to know a few things about MFSUs

If a chain of MFSU one hooked to the next in series recieves power on one end I see the power all flows to start filling the last in line then it fills second last and so on until all in the chain are full. Question is if the last MFSU is redstoned and has a Mass Fab after it, will that last MFSU start to send power to the Mass Fab after its full, or will the chain of MFSU before it need to be filled before power is sent to the Mass Fab?

:Nuke TNT::Reactor::Nuke TNT::Glass Fibre::Glass Fibre::MFS-Unit::Glass Fibre::Glass Fibre::MFS-Unit::Glass Fibre::Glass Fibre::MFS-Unit::Glass Fibre::Glass Fibre: Redstoned > :MFS-Unit::Glass Fibre::Glass Fibre::Matter::Advanced Machine::Matter:

• The last MFSU will fill up, then output excess power to the mass fabricator. The other MFSU's in line will stay empty.

If you want them all to fill up before powering the mass fab, then put a switch on the side of each one. If the switch is thrown down, they'll fill up before trickling excess power down the line. If you want to dump the stored power, just throw the switch.

You can use a transformer, placed to transform up, to switch the mass fab with redstone. I have MV circuit into an MV tx, so that when it's 'on' it outputs HV to the mass fab, and off it cuts the circuit.

Another option is to 'choke' your mass fab with a step-down transformer - if you have, say, 64EU/t generation coming into the circuit, you could put a redstoned LV tx before your mass fab, restricting it to drawing only 32EU/t from your grid. That should stop it drawing more than half your power input, no matter what.

I have a concept in mind for a system which uses an energy-o-mat to switch a tx and enable my mass fab when there's power coming in from my solar arrays. When there's current coming in, enable the energy-o-mat, at night, disconnect it again. Haven't built one yet, so YMMV

• Another option is to 'choke' your mass fab with a step-down transformer - if you have, say, 64EU/t generation coming into the circuit, you could put a redstoned LV tx before your mass fab, restricting it to drawing only 32EU/t from your grid. That should stop it drawing more than half your power input, no matter what.

The LV alone will not choke it. It will send 4 packets of 32, so it will be sending the same energy. Put a batbox on the ouput of the LV transformer and when that fills up, it will only outut 32 while receiving 64, effectively choking the matter generator.

I5 2500K | 4GB Cosair Vengence | Radeon 6850 | Rosewill 600w PSU | GigaByte Z68MA | CM Elite 311 | Dell 19" 720p (upgrading soon!)| Hitachi 500 GB 7200 HDD | LG 24X |Windows 7 (Genuine!)
    Alblaka in a Lightning Rod suggestion thread...[/size]

• I am pretty sure the point of this is to have the Mass Fab take power automatically when there is extra power, and not require constant switch-flipping. But, for smaller systems, switches are good enough, and quite cheap.

The best part about IC is being able to force the server admin to buy power from your capitalist nuclear enterprise