[Suggestion] Solar Power is just to OPED in IC.

• Just saying... 1 EU/t like really? So all I do is mine for a few days a week and I can get easily enough to generate 1000 EU/t it's just to damn oped. Then you have things like wind and etc etc like I really think Solar Panel could be toned down so much even down to like 0.2...

Please make IC more challenging.

Check out Our Brand New GT New Horizons Server .:Here:.
    Check out Our Brand New GT New Horizons Let's Play Series .:Here:.

• A lot of people seem to agree that solar pannels are OP at the moment. However, unless new code was created to handle fractional amounts of EU (possibly by generating 10 power per second, instead of 1 per tick (which is 20 a second) or similar, along with config file customization options.) It is not possible to reduce solar panel production any more.

• A lot of people seem to agree that solar pannels are OP at the moment. However, unless new code was created to handle fractional amounts of EU (possibly by generating 10 power per second, instead of 1 per tick (which is 20 a second) or similar, along with config file customization options.) It is not possible to reduce solar panel production any more.

I'm a bit confused but how do they reduce it on other things like wind and water energy?

• I would like to politely disagree with OP about solar panels being OP (lol). I think that currently you pay a lot of resources for this thing that grants power very slowly, and uses a lot of space. I find them very helpful, even if they are a bit UNDER-powered.

The best part about IC is being able to force the server admin to buy power from your capitalist nuclear enterprise

• I would like to politely disagree with OP about solar panels being OP (lol). I think that currently you pay a lot of resources for this thing that grants power very slowly, and uses a lot of space. I find them very helpful, even if they are a bit UNDER-powered.

A stack of coal in a Generator (which is much cheaper as an object than a solar panel) creates way more energy in a shorter period.

I'd rather keep Solar Panels useful, even with a full 5x5 array of Solar Panels I'm generating 12.5 EU/t (counting the half the day they're off), my Generator outputs way more than that..

Still remember the convo ending with "No, stop bugging me, cables transmitting energy are totally not possible! Use the batterys."

If they still used 2 circuits instead of 2 wires, I would agree. But they do not.

A stack of coal in a Generator (which is much cheaper as an object than a solar panel) creates way more energy in a shorter period.

I'd rather keep Solar Panels useful, even with a full 5x5 array of Solar Panels I'm generating 12.5 EU/t (counting the half the day they're off), my Generator outputs way more than that..

You need 3 generators to pass the output of 25 solar panels. Each generator produces 5 EU/s while active, and hence matches 10 solar panels (averaging and assuming either no sleep-scumming, or Somnia is installed)

I'm a bit confused but how do they reduce it on other things like wind and water energy?

The water wheels and windmills randomly add some furnace energy, that on average lasts shorter than the average rate it is added. The change is proportional to the number of water/air blocks around it. That is also why they have fluxuating output. A similar system would work for solar pannels, but it would make the rate non-linear.

• Solar panels aren't over-powered, your other sources of power are /under/ powered. The only exception to this are nuclear plants; but these aren't the multi-gigawatt behemoths we know of in real life; these are compact SciFi style reactors that have their own integrated heat to power conversion mechanism instead of steam turbines. While I think building a real reactor in IC2 might be fun, I'm afraid both that minecraft is a poor place to do so (lack of fun shapes/physics) and that it would instantly jump from 'fun puzzle thing' to 'export controlled potential terrorist tool'.

Now, one way of making solar harder would be to have wires destroy based on wattage, and to make current induce damage to surrounding tiles if over-current, while having voltage require additional insulation (or glass fiber cables) to prevent dangerous leaks if you touch the cable. /those/ would increase the challenge of building giant solar flowers.

• solar isnt OP, if you payed attention , windfarms are way more OP than solars
    wind can make 3EU/s top when solar makes only 0.5EU/s
    and nevermind what some individuals say, when placed on top of the mountain they are actually bright up the space

watermills are terribly underpowered, they should do at least the same as solars
    geos are okay
    nukes are fine too, stable setups give plenty of energy , CASUC reactors have EU/space taken advantage

Ever notice when forums have a suggestion board, there's a small group of idiots who just hang around that little forum section? Yeah, I'm one of those guys. (c) by That one guy

• Well lets say Solar is not OPED then everything else blows. I think the cost of things should go up a lot more and nuclear energy should output a lot more. I just feel that in the power world that end game is really about having tons of solar panels UNLESS your using something like buildcraft to cheat your work for you.

• My point is it took 25 Generator sto make those 25 Solar Panels.

I'd rather throw a stack of charcoal in each of the 5 generators and do the same output for much cheaper initial cost and space saving purposes.

Btw 3x3 Solar Array sconstructed inside nice housing make for very cool looking scenery.

Still remember the convo ending with "No, stop bugging me, cables transmitting energy are totally not possible! Use the batterys."

• My point is it took 25 Generator sto make those 25 Solar Panels.

I'd rather throw a stack of charcoal in each of the 5 generators and do the same output for much cheaper initial cost and space saving purposes.

Btw 3x3 Solar Array sconstructed inside nice housing make for very cool looking scenery.

you seem to forget tho solar panels require no management at all once placed and connected to your power grid and also getting 1000 eu/t would take alot of Cstone iron coal glass copper tin and redstone so thinking of the gain i would more than say that its worth it since they dont require fuel they only work for half a day at a time but not much can use all that much energy so you can make mass batbox/mfe/mfsu to store the excess power to use in a mass fab or whatever or as i have heard before use it to make a electric 'fence' around your AoO

• please, use punctuation, it's hard to figure out what you actually mean :(

Ever notice when forums have a suggestion board, there's a small group of idiots who just hang around that little forum section? Yeah, I'm one of those guys. (c) by That one guy

• Don't forget that solar panels also have a risk of being destroyed when moved. This adds to their actual cost (Since it is then possible you'll loose that entire investment of components).

Of the parts going in to a solar panel, only the glass, rubber, and stone (you /are/ building it the way that saves 3 iron right?) are renewable. The 3 coal dust, 6 iron, 4 tin, 1.5 copper, and 2 redstone are potentially lost (though typically only 1 copper and 3 coal are lost since I tend to get back generators; I'm not actually sure how many drop nothing).

• Don't forget that solar panels also have a risk of being destroyed when moved. This adds to their actual cost (Since it is then possible you'll loose that entire investment of components).

Of the parts going in to a solar panel, only the glass, rubber, and stone (you /are/ building it the way that saves 3 iron right?) are renewable. The 3 coal dust, 6 iron, 4 tin, 1.5 copper, and 2 redstone are potentially lost (though typically only 1 copper and 3 coal are lost since I tend to get back generators; I'm not actually sure how many drop nothing).

I have broken 100's with a wrench and never lost anything...

• If you were to implement the 2 electric circuits, that would raise the cost by- 2 refined iron, 10 rubber, 5 copper, and 4 redstone. As well as the normal cost. That's more expensive than any other T1 machine, for a single solar panel. Definetly not.

It has become a little stubbly. Implement facial hair growth in IC²? Vision continuously grows more furry until you shave. (approx once every 2 minecraft days ;P)

Steve shaves with his chainsaw.
    Check out Factorio- A game where you build a factory from scratch.

• Solar panels aren't over-powered, your other sources of power are /under/ powered. The only exception to this are nuclear plants; but these aren't the multi-gigawatt behemoths we know of in real life; these are compact SciFi style reactors that have their own integrated heat to power conversion mechanism instead of steam turbines. While I think building a real reactor in IC2 might be fun, I'm afraid both that minecraft is a poor place to do so (lack of fun shapes/physics) and that it would instantly jump from 'fun puzzle thing' to 'export controlled potential terrorist tool'.

I am not sure if I agree. I do feel that solar power is far stronger than other sources of power, aside from reactors like you said, but there is little difference between the solar power being OP and generators being UP.

I think that generators, if their fuel lasted longer, would be reasonably popular.

• Throwing a stack of Coal in a generator lasts a long time, sure it requires maintenance but its still a long time running for the output.

My point is, Solar Panels are meant to be a low output device of .5 Eu/T (assuming no sleeping, I play on SMP). There are times when you need higher power for a short time, you grab a generator (cheaper, requires maintenance) throw some fuel in it, and get some power.

Generator + 2 cable + 3 Glass + 3 coal = constant .5
    Generator + 3 Coal = 12000 EU at a rate of 5 EU/t

If you have a nice charcoal generator (Minefactory/Buildcraft together ftw) you have permanent 5 EU/t from Generators, but that's not really part of the argument due to it being other mods ;)

• I agree with Albalaka,
    watermills are Lame atm, Before in IC1 I was envisioning Watermill farms.
    In the end your "Best" power source all has to do with your current circumstances Solar for lots of resources spare surface base lots of constant power needed,
    wind for mountain top base with lots of iron spare but not much else,
    nuclear for when you are underground, have a ton of tin and copper, and uranium but not too much spare iron, and need large bursts of energy,
    and Watermills for when you want to stay hidden/protected in your undetectable underground base on SMP.

• LOL @ the guy that says he can get 1000 eu/tick from solargens. That would mean you need 2000 solars. Thats a ton of maths to be precise:
    16000 refined iron
    8000 tin
    6000 copper
    6000 rubber
    4000 redstone
    16000 cobblestone
    6000 coal
    6000 glass

Even if you play nonstop for a week you wont be able to get this.

Oh and wind makes 2-4 eu and it also works in the night. It would prolly output over 4 times more on average if i used those maths to make windgens.