[Addon v1.95]Rocket Science v0.89 - flying autominers, missiles, and nuclear fusion!

• Thank you for the quick response to my earlier bug. Updating IC2 worked like a charm, and I have been having a dazzling amount of fun with this outstanding mod. Here, have this (slightly blown up) energy crystal. :Energy Crystal:

• Nice mod so far.

Haven't actually used it in my "real" world yet, but I have been messing around with it in my test world. Kinda sorta blew one up while mucking about with the nuke rockets, forgot to set coordinates so it came down basically on my head.

Anyway, with Buildcraft, the Bucket filler and Additional Pipes addons I managed to put together an automated deuterium processor, complete with dumping the empty cells back into the processing system so a load of cells should last a good long while. For anyone curious, I found the isotope separator can keep up with 3 buckets running through the processing system for sure. Not sure if it can handle a fourth but given it's automated who cares?

Didn't set up automatic fueling of the fusion reactor as that behaves a bit interesting, namely any pipes fill the top fuel slot first and only after that's full will it fuel the bottom slot.

The only flaw in the system is that the power source for the bucket filler are a set of solar panels so it'll shut down in the dark. 4 redstone engines and one pump couldn't keep up. Could easily remedy this with more than one pump but didn't care as this is just my test world and i'm using TMI for everything.

oh: and of course the reactor is powering the isotope separator :)

thoughts on balance: the reactor itself is flipping expensive but given it's power delivery and how much it'll give you it feels about right.
    Can't wait until the mod's finished. (or just the bugfix whenever that happens... regular bat-pack are *annoying*, they don't hold enough)

• Only done the fusion thing so far. It's great, but getting 15 eu/t out of the baseline fusor is some hella diminishing returns for the mats i put in. (building 6 of the 8 reactor chambers required would have netted me a few hundred eu/t if I were a good fission-engineer)

That said I'm still happily using the poop out of the one I built since all i need is water to fuel the thing; and greatly anticipating the lunar addition.

Also, just an idea if the whole moon/He-3/Tritium thing doesn't work out. maybe mod the fission Rx or build an addon for the fusion Rx like the electrolyzer that puts water cells in the neutron field of either reactor type and yields "tritiated water" which can then be put in the isotope separator.

A final thought: maybe add some premium versions of the heater tools and different heat/containment levels acheived by using the different levels to get varying levels of output from the Rx based on how much we choose to put into it on the material front.

Best of luck with the RL lab issue.

• Mass-manufacturing reactor chambers is annoying as hell, with the mountain of mats you need that you always forgot something out of and all the shitty unstackable components like plating and coolant cells.

I don't mind the expense, but if you have a mind to, maybe think of something less annoying to put together?

How about a recipe for a toroid section (8 sections a reactor makes) using a magnetizer and an advanced machine and some other (stackable) trash? That'd make sense.

• Mass-manufacturing reactor chambers is annoying as hell, with the mountain of mats you need that you always forgot something out of and all the shitty unstackable components like plating and coolant cells.

I don't mind the expense, but if you have a mind to, maybe think of something less annoying to put together?

How about a recipe for a toroid section (8 sections a reactor makes) using a magnetizer and an advanced machine and some other (stackable) trash? That'd make sense.

That's what Buildcraft is for. Either to make a small factory with or to just use the automated crafting table for normal crafting (it can hold items so if you forget something then just leave it and come back)

• That's what Buildcraft is for. Either to make a small factory with or to just use the automated crafting table for normal crafting (it can hold items so if you forget something then just leave it and come back)

Hm, I didn't think putting together a factory was worth it for ultimately a couple dozen finished products, but after taking half an hour to assemble one fusion reactor, I can see it could be. I'll try it.

I still think my magnetizer idea is pretty cool, however D: !

• Hm, I didn't think putting together a factory was worth it for ultimately a couple dozen finished products, but after taking half an hour to assemble one fusion reactor, I can see it could be. I'll try it.

I still think my magnetizer idea is pretty cool, however D: !

I'm lazy like that, I keep spare Buildcraft stuff around in case I need to make more than 2 or 3 of a item that's annoying to build. Take my Solar panel factory (that really needs to be re-built.. right now it's a semi-kludge linked via teleport pipes) I originally built that to knock off maybe 10-20. I think it's produced close to 150 now.

I have yet to build a fusion reactor in my main world. Running into small issues with resources at the moment. (gee.. building solar panels uses *lots* of tin)

Heck, you could set up a blank several stage factory just for random uses. Don't know why I didn't think of that one before...

• I agree, 32 coal, half a gold ore and a redstone are a little too cheap for them, maybe make them use a diamond, or better yet, diamond dust. Epic mod though, this is so going into my game:D

Diamond dust would be a cool item for future machines. Oh and I saw a video of direwolf20 reviewing this mod and I have to say he made it a lot less confusing, so I take that part back. The fusion reactor should use 4 reactors and 4 chambers in it's recipe instead of 8 chambers, It needs to be a little more expensive in my opinion. (especially once we can go to the moon to get the better fuel. :thumbup: )

• I have to say this is one of the best addons I've seen. I'd kinda like it if missiles could fly through water and lava, though. I mean, how awesome would it be to have an underwater missile silo? Or a volcano rocket base?

• I have to say this is one of the best addons I've seen. I'd kinda like it if missiles could fly through water and lava, though. I mean, how awesome would it be to have an underwater missile silo? Or a volcano rocket base?

Wouldn't lava sort of, you know... BLOW IT UP? Who would shoot a nuclear rocket straight through a cascade of lava? But going through water would be a cool idea. If water physics did not suck you could use the zeppelin mod to create a nuclear submarine with a missile silo inside it. Could some amazing modder with tons of time on their hands re-write the water physics so that I could make my underwater submarine? (Just kidding that is pretty much impossible)

• I hope the creator reads this because I think it would be a good idea: There should be some kind of remote detonator that can be synced up with missiles (by right clicking them while they are not moving.) And you could either detonate them in mid air, or just deactivate them all together and not have to deal with the explosion. Also it could obviously be set up for more than one missile. (or maybe you could set it so that a passenger rocket that you are sitting in would stop over your destination by hitting the remote and land you, this would be great for escape pods during the SMP nuclear wars that are sure going to happen.)

My Second Idea: A rocket pod that drops off items, or lands with items inside it. It would only be able to store a few items. You could use the remote to drop it off once your friend tells you it is getting close to him (in SMP of course). Once you activated the remote it would parachute downwards towards your friend.
    I hope these ideas are used and that they help to shape the future of this mod once it goes out of beta, gets out of the pending add-ons section, and gets into SMP.

• Found myself a little glitch that you might want to look at. I use Optifine. I have mostly EE, IC, BC and the Fossil mod installed and this problem occurs when switching texture packs. the game crashes. the result is this

I removed the mod and tried switching textures again and now it doesnt crash. the switching crash only happens when rocket science mod is installed. Hopefully this might help you on fixing more problems, such as this one

• Official Post

Multiple bugfixes in the latest release - missile boosters are now properly crafted with legitimately-crafted fuel cans, BatPacks work with vanilla IC2 items, crafting shapes are made more flexible, and some texture issues are resolved, among other things. I've also added the hand pump for those of you who want to use your water cells like buckets. One other new feature is the ability to left-click a missile with your laser rangefinder, which will store the rangefinder's last coordinates in the missile.

SMP support is still coming, but might take a while - my work is going to take me to the APS plasma physics conference next week.

• Multiple bugfixes in the latest release - missile boosters are now properly crafted with legitimately-crafted fuel cans, BatPacks work with vanilla IC2 items, crafting shapes are made more flexible, and some texture issues are resolved, among other things. I've also added the hand pump for those of you who want to use your water cells like buckets. One other new feature is the ability to left-click a missile with your laser rangefinder, which will store the rangefinder's last coordinates in the missile.

SMP support is still coming, but might take a while - my work is going to take me to the APS plasma physics conference next week.

thanks for the patch. tools work with the new packs but the packs aren't craftable at the moment
    edit: nevermind.. rather annoying, only craftable with charged crystals? (and not TMI'd ones like I was using in my test world)

• but might take a while - my work is going to take me to the APS plasma physics conference next week.

Major congrats, wish I could be in your shoes. (I majored in physics, didn't quite reach my goal of grad school in plasma physics.)

• y is it that whenever i try to install this mod, nothing shows up :?: i did everything right but nothing (i will give u this qsuit :Quantum-Helmet: :Quantum-Bodyarmor: :Quantum-Leggings: :Quantum-Boots: )

me too, but that was after i installed some buildcraft addons and change the block ID of a rocket in this mod.

• This mod's awesome! :thumbup:

It's quite expensive and takes a bit of time/effort to build, but in a good way. I love it. Been using the copper coil only as I can't afford the redstone and coal I need for the shiny gold one. I Think it's fairly balanced compared to the other generators. Have not used rockets yet but have plans for them. It's like a cheap teleporter to go to my sky fortress with, time to start the bio farm again. You did a good job!