[Addon v1.95]Rocket Science v0.89 - flying autominers, missiles, and nuclear fusion!

• Official Post

Rocket Science adds several high-tier devices to IndustrialCraft - everything from missiles to superconductors to a fusion reactor!

Version History
    v0.89: Added missile defense lasers, radar, and offense/defense coordinator blocks. No SMP support (yet).
    v0.84b: Multiple bugfixes. Thermonuclear missiles are now craftable.
    v0.84: Compatibility with IC2 v1.71. Partial SMP support.
    v0.82: Fixed v0.81's bugs.
    v0.81: Quick and dirty compatibility patch for IC2 v1.64.
    v0.8: New fusion fuel, made autominers easier to locate, added ModLoader logs when ID conflicts occur.
    v0.71: Compatibility patch for IC2 v1.43.
    v0.7: Added mobile autominer and reusable passenger rockets. Removed new batpacks. Changed booster recipe. Bugfixes.
    v0.65: Bugfixes, added hand pump.
    v0.6: Added the wet/dry vac, new BatPacks.
    v0.51: Changed install method.
    v0.5: Initial release.

Installation
    Drag-and-drop the jar in the attached zip into your .minecraft/mods folder. You'll also notice an ic2 folder in the zip; you need to open your IC2 jar and replace its EnergyNet class with the new class files.

Recipes

Booster Module

This marvelous rocket engine is capable of propelling payloads into low-earth orbit and returning them to the ground within a one-meter radius of the specified position! Though it was originally designed for personnel transport (see Passenger Module, below), some unscrupulous miners have used these modules to deliver TNT, lava, or even nuclear weapons...

(Note that this recipe also works with biofuel cells)

Parachute

Worried about falling and can't afford quantum boots? Worry no more, because our leather parachutes are cheap and durable! When packed as shown and worn as chest armor, the parachute will automatically deploy if the user falls more than three blocks.

Passenger Module

By attaching one of our parachutes to any standard minecart, a module capable of safely transporting a single occupant to an arbitrary location can be created. Attach it to a booster module (see below) and you'll be traveling in style in no time!

Warheads

We don't advertise this fact, but our booster modules can be used to deliver explosives and incendiaries from great distances. Perhaps you've finally located your archrival's fortress; perhaps you simply want to wipe an unsightly NPC village off the map. Whatever the case, your weapon of choice will need to be coated in a protective layer to survive re-entry.

Missiles

Placing a passenger module or a warhead of any sort on top of our booster module creates a rocket that can be placed like any other block. To set the missile's target, simply tap it with a left click; its target square will advance by five in the direction you tap it. Launching a missile is as simple as providing a redstone current - passenger rockets can be simply right-clicked, and you'll climb in. Missiles can be picked up with a wrench like machines.

Please be advised that due to federal regulations, once you've hopped into a passenger missile its safety belts will prevent you from leaving until it has touched down. Once it has landed, the passenger module can be picked up and reused. Due to the presence of rocket fuel, TNT missiles deliver twice the explosive force of TNT alone. Incendiary missiles spread a fine mist of lava over a wide area, igniting all flammable materials. Nuclear missiles use an entirely new nuclear explosion code resulting in a blast crater and an airburst.

Laser Rangefinder

This handy piece of technology lets you gauge the exact distance to the block under your crosshairs, giving you an X- and a Z- value that can then be input into a missile with a right-click. Due to its extremely low power consumption, the redstone incorporated into its circuitry can power the rangefinder for its entire operational lifetime without ever requiring a recharge!

Superconductor

Superconductors are materials capable of carrying an electric current with zero resistance - meaning no energy is lost in a superconducting cable, regardless of distance! Most superconductors need to be operated near absolute zero temperature, but we at Rocket Science are proud to announce that recent breakthroughs in redstone chemistry have allowed us to produce a gold-graphene-redstone lattice capable of functioning as a superconductor even at room temperature and above. Creating this material does require the use of a compressor, but once compressed it can be used as any other cable.

Fusion Reactor

This is it - the apex of energy production technology. Capable of operating indefinitely on the deuterium (hydrogen isotope 2) found in ordinary water, our ultra-miniaturized tokamak fusion reactor is safer than fission and greener than fossil fuels. Of course, this kind of technology requires a significant capital investment...

Your fusion reactor reactor requires a few additional components. Most important are the coils which generate the magnetic field that confines the plasma. Coils can be crafted either from copper or superconductor, and require a full stack (64) of the material to craft. The advantage of superconducting coils is that plasma confinement requires an extremely high coil current - hence copper coils waste 10EU/tick of the reactor's output power.

Fusion reactors also require a means of heating the plasma to ignition (when energy released by fusion reactions keeps the plasma hot enough for further fusion). Three devices are available - an ohmic heater, a neutral-beam injector, and an RF cyclotron resonance heater. The ohmic heater is the most energy-efficient since it directly drives current through the plasma, but it becomes useless when the plasma gets hot enough. RF and neutral-beam heaters are less efficient but work independent of temperature. The heating elements can be powered by a standard RE battery.

Fuel for your fusion reactor is easy to come by - just use one of our isotopic separators to harvest deuterium from ordinary water! Two deuterium cells can power a fusion reactor for 10,000 ticks, providing a total of 220,000 or 320,000EU depending on your coil setup.

Isotopic Separator

This upgraded extractor separates different isotopes of the same element. In practice, this means that deuterium can be extracted from the hydrogen in water cells. It takes ten water cells to produce one deuterium cell, but you will get back the empty cells. Note that a separator that is currently processing deuterium won't accept lithium cells, or vice-versa.

Of course, D-D reactions are quite difficult to perform and don't give much of a net energy gain. What if you could fuse the deuterium with tritium? Why, the fusion reactor's output could be boosted to 128 EU/tick! (Better protect your sensitive equipment) This third isotope of hydrogen is highly radioactive and not found in nature, but certain nuclear reactions can produce it - most notably the fission of lithium-6 by neutron capture. Unfortunately, federal regulations prohibit performing this reaction in IC2's standard reactor, but if you could somehow obtain a lithium-6 cell, your fusion reactor does have a slot for it. Current research suggests that a substance from vanilla Minecraft contains trace amounts of lithium...

More recipes and an FAQ in the second post!

• Is there any chance that the missiles and the reactor could be two different downloads? I'm going to be keeping an eye on this addon as well.

• Also, you appear to be missing SMP. What's the point of rockets if you can't fire them at anyone?

SMP is really hard to do. I'd suggest doing it piece by piece : the fusion reactors could be added to SMP using the example code that's already in IC2.

• OMG!
    I'm so installing this on my server when it's released! If you make all the stuff you listed this would be the BEST ADDON EVER :love:
    would be honored to make sprites to this mod, just say what needs to be done
    i just have to attach this:

• OMG!
    I'm so installing this on my server when it's released! If you make all the stuff you listed this would be the BEST ADDON EVER :love:
    would be honored to make sprites to this mod, just say what needs to be done
    i just have to attach this:

(insert brony reference here)haha your pictures jumping on top of my comment.

• Looks good cant w8 to see what this becomes :)

Ok just messed around with this mod. and i would have to say it gonna be awesome.

• This looks pretty cool, albeit very confusing. I think that the only thing in this add-on that IC2 needs is the superconductor wire. (having no energy loss would be great) Although I think if it going to have no energy loss (which would change the face of IC servers forever) it should be a lot more expensive.

• This looks pretty cool, albeit very confusing. I think that the only thing in this add-on that IC2 needs is the superconductor wire. (having no energy loss would be great) Although I think if it going to have no energy loss (which would change the face of IC servers forever) it should be a lot more expensive.

I concur, instead of the carbon plate, how about a "pure" diamond considering that super-heated and compressed carbon (if my chemistry is right) is naturally conducive to electricity.

But, off that subject, this looks to be one heck of a mod, I'll download it but I won't have time to test till tomorrow. Also, once I get a chance to read the OP through fully, I'll see about making a video for this mod. Seems like fun.

I agree, 32 coal, half a gold ore and a redstone are a little too cheap for them, maybe make them use a diamond, or better yet, diamond dust. Epic mod though, this is so going into my game:D

• balancing issues arent really a problem as long as it's not SMP, i'm pretty sure it'll change a few times before that

Ever notice when forums have a suggestion board, there's a small group of idiots who just hang around that little forum section? Yeah, I'm one of those guys. (c) by That one guy

• Official Post

Graphene and diamond are different allotropes of carbon. I chose graphene (which I assume is the allotrope in IC2's carbon plates) for use in this mod because its lattice is a flat sheet and many real-life Type II superconductors (which tend to operate at higher temperatures than Type I) are made by layering different conductive materials.

Less scientific answer: Remember that the recipe is for a single superconducting cable - in vanilla IC2 a single diamond gets you twelve glass fiber cables, which only lose 1EU every 20 blocks. Superconductor isn't that much of an improvement.

• Graphene and diamond are different allotropes of carbon. I chose graphene (which I assume is the allotrope in IC2's carbon plates) for use in this mod because its lattice is a flat sheet and many real-life Type II superconductors (which tend to operate at higher temperatures than Type I) are made by layering different conductive materials.

Less scientific answer: Remember that the recipe is for a single superconducting cable - in vanilla IC2 a single diamond gets you twelve glass fiber cables, which only lose 1EU every 20 blocks. Superconductor isn't that much of an improvement.

You have a point there, my chemistry and physics are way out of whack. Back to the books....

• Wow. This is the most ambitious add-on I've seen yet.

I5 2500K | 4GB Cosair Vengence | Radeon 6850 | Rosewill 600w PSU | GigaByte Z68MA | CM Elite 311 | Dell 19" 720p (upgrading soon!)| Hitachi 500 GB 7200 HDD | LG 24X |Windows 7 (Genuine!)
    Alblaka in a Lightning Rod suggestion thread...[/size]

• Err, could you please make it so you don't have to edit the main jar file...I don't think it's that complicated to add the modloader hooks, is it? Ahh, yeah, after doing my math a bit more, these end up quite a bit more expensive than glass cables, good. Since 64 coal, 8 flint and 1 obsidian = 1 diamond, and this is 32 coal a piece. Which comes out to 6 diamonds for the same amount of cable. Excellent.

Hmm, not quite understanding how to use the rangefinder along with the rockets, do you just have to remember what the rangefinder says, or can you store a value in the rangefinder and load it into the rocket?

EDIT: Nvm, figured it out, but now I found a missile that doesn't have a crafting recipe....? Is this a secret missile?Starts with a T, has a damage value that separates it from the others.

• I'll be keeping an eye on this but I have been a big proponent of generators like fusion needing some pretty extensive external setup from the actual block.

First things that come to mind that you could do is building an external longitudinal and latitudinal copper coils out of copper blocks. Obviously then you'd need to look into how to program the entity that would be the Plasma spinning around in it and could probably do some cool stuff with being able to visually show how hot the plasma is. As well you could have it produce more energy and need more fuel depending on how big you make the magnetic coils and how well built they are. For example, Square coils would be easier and still working but not able to produce as much energy compared to a well built more circular coils.

Another kind of nifty thing you might be able to do is shielding it from sending out damaging waves by surrounding the whole thing with Reinforced Stone or some other shielding material, maybe even have it erode over time so that every once and awhile you have to shut it down and rebuild the shielding.

This way you would also be able to have the heating Coils be actual blocks that you have to figure out how to situate them in the field to make them most effective while still being able to wire them up to whatever power and any redstone controls.

The final thing that I can think of is having a way to make it so tat the power produced doesn't come from the field directly but from a water system that you have to set up to flow through it, heat up, and then passing over a watermill/special turbine before passing back through the plasma field again. Something similar to BuildCrafts liquid pipes except able to somehow react to the heat generated by the plasma to move the water through it faster the hotter it is.

My main point is that this is a Fusion reactor, it should be a big endeavor to not only create the technology to accomplish it but as well to build the big ass structure that it aught to require.

• Official Post

Shindou: Just released v0.51, which can just be dropped into the mods folder. I did code a thermonuclear missile, but there's no way to craft it until I add tritium and helium-3. (Hack one into the game to see just how overpowered it is - the metadata is 13)

daedroug: Laying blocks to produce the proper toroidal and poloidal fields in a fusion reactor is an interesting idea, but unfortunately the subtleties of real-life plasma confinement are impossible to capture in a world of cubes. Besides, coming up with a Minecraft-ized version of Maxwell's equations (with space quantized in one-block increments!), then adjusting the behavior of plasmas in response to this, would be an interesting intellectual exercise but would lay waste to your CPU and be difficult for players without physics experience to use. Same goes for turbine design - the fission reactor block can be assumed to have an internal turbine, so there's no reason the fusion block has to be any different. (Also, multi-block structures are beastly difficult to code because you have to take into account every stupid thing the player can do to mess up your code)

Wall shielding is an idea I considered when implementing the fusion reactor, maybe with periodic replacements of plasma-facing components, but in the end there's just no room in the GUI for it. I rejected neutron exposure issues for the same reason - implementing radiation effects on the player and other entities would be a lot of work for little gain. As much as I enjoy realistic physics, this is a game and some serious simplifications need to be made.

• Shindou: Just released v0.51, which can just be dropped into the mods folder. I did code a thermonuclear missile, but there's no way to craft it until I add tritium and helium-3. (Hack one into the game to see just how overpowered it is - the metadata is 13)

daedroug: Laying blocks to produce the proper toroidal and poloidal fields in a fusion reactor is an interesting idea, but unfortunately the subtleties of real-life plasma confinement are impossible to capture in a world of cubes. Besides, coming up with a Minecraft-ized version of Maxwell's equations (with space quantized in one-block increments!), then adjusting the behavior of plasmas in response to this, would be an interesting intellectual exercise but would lay waste to your CPU and be difficult for players without physics experience to use. Same goes for turbine design - the fission reactor block can be assumed to have an internal turbine, so there's no reason the fusion block has to be any different. (Also, multi-block structures are beastly difficult to code because you have to take into account every stupid thing the player can do to mess up your code)

Wall shielding is an idea I considered when implementing the fusion reactor, maybe with periodic replacements of plasma-facing components, but in the end there's just no room in the GUI for it. I rejected neutron exposure issues for the same reason - implementing radiation effects on the player and other entities would be a lot of work for little gain. As much as I enjoy realistic physics, this is a game and some serious simplifications need to be made.

Oh, believe me, I did:P It was GLORIOUS! And I too would like the realistic-ish physics, but I do see how they could make most people's brains melt....wasn't sure if you wanted the TN named in the thread or not, thanks for the ML support:D

• -Wet/dry vac: suck up liquids, sand, gravel, and moon dust! (In the meantime, you can harvest water cells easily using DreamyDragon's excellent Mobile Pump)

Moon dust? Please pardon my pendantry, but how exactly is a vacuum supposed to work in a... vacuum. ;)

In any case, I'll have to watch this mod - looks interesting!