Suggestion: Incorrectly Destroying Machines Drops Machine Block & Damaged Circuitry

• Incorrect destruction of an IC2 machine (through either explosions, mining, or wrenching fails) produces a Machine Block in addition to a Damaged Circuitry item, which has a ScrapBox mechanic in that it can be right-clicked for the chance to produce several components of an Electrical Circuit.

Suggested in an effort to reduce bug reports on wrenching fails, as well as help illustrate the concept that the machine was damaged when you deconstructed it.

Edit:
    Adding Noert's suggestion: Make the Damaged Circuitry able to be repaired with Redstone and Copper wires via a recipe. I also add, since we're going down this route, an Damaged Advance Circuitry that does the same thing, except for advanced machines (And a higher chance for goodies/higher repair cost).

'Wait! What does that mean?! I can't panic properly unless I know what that means!'
    'Well believe me, Mike, I calculated the odds of this succeeding versus the odds I was doing something incredibly stupid, and... I went ahead anyway.'

• i'd suggest this damaged circuit could also be repaired with one or few wires and redstone

Ever notice when forums have a suggestion board, there's a small group of idiots who just hang around that little forum section? Yeah, I'm one of those guys. (c) by That one guy

• i'd suggest this damaged circuit could also be repaired with one or few wires and redstone

Brilliant. Adding to OP.

I'm also thinking, since we're going down that route, of adding Damaged Advanced Circuitry: Essentially the same, but for advanced machines. Essentially anything that has an Advanced Circuit in it's design or it's prerequisites.

'Wait! What does that mean?! I can't panic properly unless I know what that means!'
    'Well believe me, Mike, I calculated the odds of this succeeding versus the odds I was doing something incredibly stupid, and... I went ahead anyway.'

• Yes. I personally believe that machines should drop more than a machine block. A damaged circuit seems like a suitable addition. I know its possible for a block to drop 2 of something, although it is a little more code intensive.

I5 2500K | 4GB Cosair Vengence | Radeon 6850 | Rosewill 600w PSU | GigaByte Z68MA | CM Elite 311 | Dell 19" 720p (upgrading soon!)| Hitachi 500 GB 7200 HDD | LG 24X |Windows 7 (Genuine!)
    Alblaka in a Lightning Rod suggestion thread...[/size]

• Yes. I personally believe that machines should drop more than a machine block. A damaged circuit seems like a suitable addition. I know its possible for a block to drop 2 of something, although it is a little more code intensive.

The question is if it is possible for it to drop 2 TYPES of things.

Now, I think merely dropping all of the resources in the main recipie to make the item would work, but this is also interesting, as you would get most of the resources back, right?

• The question is if it is possible for it to drop 2 TYPES of things.

Now, I think merely dropping all of the resources in the main recipie to make the item would work, but this is also interesting, as you would get most of the resources back, right?

Well, the reason why I suggested this was to add a bit of explanation to the failed disassembly process, and to add a bit of spin to the suggestion that you get your items back with a failed deconstruction. Let's be honest, if one changed the failed deconstruction of a machine to drop all of it's component parts, it kinda defeats the purpose of having failed deconstructions in the first place. Obviously, the coders wanted this mechanic in the game, or else they wouldn't have programmed it into the mod.

Now, the problem I see is that people will take a pickaxe to their more expensive machines (After successfully using a pickaxe on their generators and Iron Furnaces), getting only a machine block, and then believing it's a bug, because it's not obvious that they were supposed to do something different for these more advanced machines. The addition of a Damaged Circuitry drop tells them, in effect, 'Whoops! Guess I wasn't supposed to do that!'

The fact that the Damaged Circuitry can be converted into something useful is just to give the new item a use, and a compromise for people who want wrenching fails to be less costly. :D

Edit: Reorganized my thoughts.

• @ Ranakastrasz,

I'm not honestly sure if you can drop both a block and an item, but for some reason I think it is possible. I remember reading something about it on the minecraft forums.

I5 2500K | 4GB Cosair Vengence | Radeon 6850 | Rosewill 600w PSU | GigaByte Z68MA | CM Elite 311 | Dell 19" 720p (upgrading soon!)| Hitachi 500 GB 7200 HDD | LG 24X |Windows 7 (Genuine!)
    Alblaka in a Lightning Rod suggestion thread...[/size]

• @ Ranakastrasz,

I'm not honestly sure if you can drop both a block and an item, but for some reason I think it is possible. I remember reading something about it on the minecraft forums.

Well, we know for a fact that blocks that contain items can drop their contents. So perhaps one can add Damaged Circuit to their contents list before they call the destruction routine.

Obviously, I am not a coder, and do not know how the destruction of blocks is handled.

• Official Post

We should totally do this. I think it was Forge that added the hook, but yeah, we can provide a whole list of crap to drop when a block's destroyed. I think it'd just feel right to have a couple pieces of fried electronics and half-burned wires laying around after a machine explodes. Especially if it was relative to the components that went into it. Maybe 70-90% or so of what went in, except in fried form, with salvage values of about half their non-friend counterparts.

• We should totally do this. I think it was Forge that added the hook, but yeah, we can provide a whole list of crap to drop when a block's destroyed. I think it'd just feel right to have a couple pieces of fried electronics and half-burned wires laying around after a machine explodes. Especially if it was relative to the components that went into it. Maybe 70-90% or so of what went in, except in fried form, with salvage values of about half their non-friend counterparts.

Is there also a way to play a sound of an electric zap when it's incorrectly deconstructed? It might be overkill, but I do want to drive the point home that Something Bad (TM) happened.

Thank you for taking interest in this suggestion.

• Official Post

Is there also a way to play a sound of an electric zap when it's incorrectly deconstructed? It might be overkill, but I do want to drive the point home that Something Bad (TM) happened.

Thank you for taking interest in this suggestion.

I'm pretty sure we could, yeah. And I agree, a sound would go a long way in making especially the wrench failures less surprising. Even if it still annoyed some people, at least they wouldn't think it was a bug like occasionally happens now. :)

• If I can kill a chicken and get meat and feathers from the same kill, I think the answe is "yes".

By type I mean Block and item. Blocks have Ids below 256, and items are 256 and above. I mean something like an iron block AND a diamond (diamond cannot be placed, iron can)