[Minor Bug 1.23] : Geothermal Generator can only accept lava from the bottom slot

• I was trying to build an auto-reloading system for geothermal generators today, and I discovered that you cannot stick lava buckets or cells into anywhere but the bottom slot. This is a problem because there isn't a way to insert a bucket and then remove a bucket using buildcraft or redstone power because you need at least TWO sides that can access the bottom slot : one to insert a bucket full of lava with a tube and another side to remove the empty bucket.

Looking at the decompiled code, I found the error in "TileEntityGeoGenerator.java" There's a switch statement that makes every side of the machine go to slot 0, the top slot, except for the bottom slot. This is a bad decision because if a player is trying to access the inventory of this machine from a side of the cube, they will most likely be trying to insert or remove fuel - it would be rare for a player to want an automated battery charger.

So I just added case 5 : return 1; to the switch and it works now. The machine also accepts lava buckets from the left side if you are looking at it from the front, and it works great.

Please take the 30 seconds to copy this fix into the next release.

• What I mean is, instead of associating input and output with faces, be smarter about it. If I shift-click fuel in to a Generator it shouldn't matter the face, it should always go in to the fuel slot. Similarly if I shift click a rechargeable in it should never go to the fuel slot and always the charging slot.

• What I mean is, instead of associating input and output with faces, be smarter about it. If I shift-click fuel in to a Generator it shouldn't matter the face, it should always go in to the fuel slot. Similarly if I shift click a rechargeable in it should never go to the fuel slot and always the charging slot.

All of which should really be taken up with MCF as a change to how it works as that is where such a change would need to be made to be able to have IC make use of it. The main concern I see with tat idea thoug is sometimes items don't always go in the same slot. for example sometimes you want wood as fuel and sometimes you want to make charcoal.

• not a bug.

below - fuel
    above - what to smelt
    sides - pickup result.

Normally that would be the case but as Geo thermals have no output product and to use the pipes with them to their full potential you need tohave 2 sides able to access the bottom slot.

• Official Post

Normally that would be the case but as Geo thermals have no output product and to use the pipes with them to their full potential you need tohave 2 sides able to access the bottom slot.

Not True. You can insert items though the wooden pipe into the bottom of the GeoGen, with 2 Redstone engines attached to said pipe, pull out the empty buckets/not needed buckets faster than they can be input.

I ran this set up for a few minutes and never had a bucket drop out the bottom into the world.

• Not True. You can insert items though the wooden pipe into the bottom of the GeoGen, with 2 Redstone engines attached to said pipe, pull out the empty buckets/not needed buckets faster than they can be input.

I ran this set up for a few minutes and never had a bucket drop out the bottom into the world.

Even with that setup it would be difficult to setup multiple inline generators and make it look nice, wheras if the back side could also access the bottom slot you could have the wooden pipe back there with the wooden engines above and below it and then wall in the generators.

• Try the additional pipes addon. Namely the advanced wooden pipe. Should be able to pull out only empty buckets from the side.

Even with that setup it would be difficult to setup multiple inline generators and make it look nice, wheras if the back side could also access the bottom slot you could have the wooden pipe back there with the wooden engines above and below it and then wall in the generators.

• forget something? there's zero content to that post, just quoted text.
    Seriously though, try it first before just discounting it outright. The advanced wooden pipes are special, they don't act like normal ones. They've got a GUI and slots for only remove <x>
    See, unlike you, I test things. the advanced wooden pulls out of any side just fine if you drop an empty bucket in the thing's gui. Plus with the additional pipes installed you can use an advanced insertion pipe from below to eliminate any chance of waste. It'll only drop something into the generator if it can, if it can't it passes it along to an overflow pipe (and right back to a chest)

Edit: to be even more explicit: insert via the bottom (distribution pipes for an even split if you want), power out the back and pull empty buckets out the front. whamo, one geo generator line.

• Edit: to be even more explicit: insert via the bottom (distribution pipes for an even split if you want), power out the back and pull empty buckets out the front. whamo, one geo generator line.

Just because there is a addon out there for BC that makes it possible does not discount the need for a change. Put simply with the way it's set up, barring some extraordinary method that doesn't use the standardized manner, it's not possible to pull buckets out as well as put them in. That means BuildCraft can't do it with out an odd constant feed setup that imho looks imprecise for what I'm looking for. Redpower can't do it, despite the fact that it also has a filter setup. Just because 1 addon can do it does not mean that it shouldn't be setup so that they all can. Especially with how simple a change it is.

• Just because other addons can't do it at the moment isn't reason enough to assume they never can.

A better method would be performing an action based on what makes sense. That is, process-able items coming in should likely go to the slot they work with.

• The water mill's lower slot can only be accessed from above.

I strongly agree with the OP though, I'd rather have them extract from the lower slot on the sides or only front/back or left/right sides as it was in 1.00, much rather than being dependent on a mod addon.

"All errors should be fixed, as much of the code was rewritten."