Suggestion: Overclocker Device

• How useful do you think this device would be? 24

1. 3 (I would build multiple for occasional use) (6) 25%
    2. 0 (They sound like useless pieces of junk) (6) 25%
    3. 2 (If im in a big rush id use one) (5) 21%
    4. 5 (I would put one in every machine that I have running.) (3) 13%
    5. 4 (I would use them very frequently) (3) 13%
    6. 1 (Probably never use them) (1) 4%

I was thinking of a new item that would be a good addition to ic2 that is a result of a popularly recurring request. An overclocker. The overclocker would be a battery substitute and instead of providing power, it provides a speed boost and increases efficiency a bit, but can end up causing an explosion. For it to function it would require the device its placed in to be powered by cable, which is ensured by it using the battery slot. The standard overclocker would be used on low end machines to increase production speed by 20% and since it makes it run faster, it would also increase efficiency by 10% if applicable(speed and efficiency are just suggestions). But it's downside is that it has a durability, so while the machine in use, the durability goes down, as it goes down, the machine starts to overheat. If a careless user lets it go down to zero, the overclocker detonates the machine with a larger than normal blast radius that it would normally do. If you are using the upgraded version, also sends out a energy pulse into the nearby wiring that is double of what the last input to the machine was, possibly creating a chain reaction that would destroy a huge amount of your machinery. So its imperative to watch machines with overclockers like a hawk or you will be back to the stone age in no time. But as to prevent everyone from having this happen to them, the overclocked device would make audible sparking noises and emit plenty of fire particles, this would likely start when the overclocker has maybe 1 minute of life left. If you take the device out in time, you could put it with another damaged overclocker in a crafting table to repair it. Or if you really want to keep it, put it in an mfe or mfs and let it charge, albeit it will drain huge amounts of energy to self repair itself to full working order. I thought of this idea since so many people were making suggestions for making upgraded versions of all the ic2 machines.

I hope this idea is practical

Suggested Specs:

Normal
    >Lasts for 5 minutes of constant use
    >Speed +10%
    >Efficiency +5%
    >On break: 2005 size explosion of machine and no drops
    >Flame particles appear when device has 10% durability left
    >Full repair charge costs 20,000 EU taken over 1 minute
    >Recipe:
    :Electronic Circuit::Generator::Electronic Circuit:
    :Refined Iron::RE Battery::Refined Iron:
    :LV-Transformer:
    (Batpack is supposed to be
    RE Battery)

Advanced
    >Lasts for up to 30 minutes of constant use
    >Speed +30%
    >Efficiency +20%
    >On break: 800% explosion with no drops,
    backfires single EU packet equivalent to 200% of last packet received by machine.
    >Flame particles appear when device has less than 10% durability
    >Full repair charge costs 500,000 EU over 4 minutes
    >Recipe:
    :Advanced Circuit::Advanced Furnace::Advanced Circuit:
    :Advanced Machine::Intergrated Heat Dispenser::Advanced Machine:
    :HV-Transformer:
    (Furnace used is Induction Furnace)

Note: Most of the details are not concrete and are subject to change.

• You aren't getting it, this is an item, not a function. Im proposing a different way of making machines faster, this is not having a whole new set of machines, this is not a big modifaction to existing ones, this is its own item that would likely require a lot less changes to existing items, if any.

• Possibly destroying a bunch of machines seems like a harsh punishment for leaving it in there too long. Perhaps it could reduce efficiency when it runs out instead.

• congrats you ahve the 3rd worst idea ive ever seen on this forums you dont even seem 2 grasp how the game mechanics work 800% explosion wtf is that im just gonna assume you mean 8x tnt= a leveld house= mroe confusing wiring = usless idea over 50%(when i looked last) of the voters on the poll agree man...

• Tell you what, Slauter - you don't unfairly criticize others' ideas and we won't pick apart your abominable spelling, grammar and punctuation. Why did you save all the necessary periods for the end of your post?

• I'm with Alblaka here. I think this is a great idea! You get to boost the efficiency of your machine at the risk of overpowering and destroying it! I smell some BC methods of utilizing this to leap frog efficiency between machines in my factory, effectively increasing productivity and avoiding disaster. 8)

• Official Post

I think i will offer casual "multitier" objects...
    A basic Stone-Iron overclocker giving like 20% boost fpor 50% more consumption.
    An advanced Iron-Cable overclocker granting 50% boost for 150% more consumption
    Next would be an super-advanced Diamond-Alloy overclocker with 100% boost for 400% more consumption
    The increased scaling of consumption is intended.

And a redstone-gunpowder overclocker, granting 150% boost, 100% more consumption and overheat/explosion danger :3

• the way al. has set it up i will agree to even support, but having them explode when they get 2 dmged is a very bad idea. in smp servers with add pipes it'd make it so easy 2 grief some'1 base it'd only be 4 iron and wala 1 blown-up base. a more power= more speed thing would work well. itd make my power system more complex still yes but alot less so then if i have 2 worry about them randomly exploding

• I think the chance of a random explosion would be for the guy who's in a hurry... not meant to be used in a factory setup.

• What, Al, no Iridium one that costs a ton (Diamond one + Iridium) and increases by 200% but requires 750-1000% more power?

Iridium is sad. It's rarely used.

...What? There's no pineapples here.

GENERATION Pineapple: The first pineapple you see, copy it into your sig on any forum and add sqrt(-1) to the generation. Pineapple experiment.

• This suggestion gets my +1 as well. Funny thing is, I was thinking about that as I was busy overclocking the processor of my home Minecraft server. Bit of irony/coincidence there.

• congrats you ahve the 3rd worst idea ive ever seen on this forums you dont even seem 2 grasp how the game mechanics work 800% explosion wtf is that im just gonna assume you mean 8x tnt= a leveld house= mroe confusing wiring = usless idea over 50%(when i looked last) of the voters on the poll agree man...

800% means that it explodes 8 times as large as it would if it was hit with an EU packet that is too big. Some of the people reading this topic need to read more closely before flaming it. Rember though, the machines themselves don't use more energy sinced the device itself needs to take a lot of energy for a storage device to be used in the first place, but I do agree that the explosion could be too much, but for greifing? Everything can be used for greifing, if you wanted to eliminate greifing completely on a server, don't turn it on. I guess instead of an explosion it could desintegrate all materials in the machine when the overclocker breaks. Or if you have the upgraded one, it could start arcing electricity like a tesla coil for a few seconds when its on its last few seconds. Like I said, subject to change!

• 800% means that it explodes 8 times as large as it would if it was hit with an EU packet that is too big. Some of the people reading this topic need to read more closely before flaming it. Rember though, the machines themselves don't use more energy sinced the device itself needs to take a lot of energy for a storage device to be used in the first place, but I do agree that the explosion could be too much, but for greifing? Everything can be used for greifing, if you wanted to eliminate greifing completely on a server, don't turn it on. I guess instead of an explosion it could desintegrate all materials in the machine when the overclocker breaks. Or if you have the upgraded one, it could start arcing electricity like a tesla coil for a few seconds when its on its last few seconds. Like I said, subject to change!

see this is supposed 2 be an industrial machine, there is this amazing thing called guidelines and safety regulations irl. nothing that would do that would ever make it anywhere. in a truth it should not take any fuel just be a med tier item prolly taking energy crystals for the good ones(re bats for the small ones) but they shouldn't ever break/explode(lose iffecency maybe) but even thats alot of hassle that would be rather annoying lol other then my issues with it randomyl attacking people/blowing up/breaking my machines it dose seem like a good idea but if it gets implemented as it was suggested above itd be very bad i belive

• see this is supposed 2 be an industrial machine, there is this amazing thing called guidelines and safety regulations irl. nothing that would do that would ever make it anywhere.

See... OSHA and Underwriters' Laboratory don't EXIST in Minecraft. Being the Last Man on Earth, Steve isn't required to obey "safety guidelines" in his inventions. There is no Nuclear Regulatory Commission to inspect his reactors, either.

• This idea is quite interesting. Running my machines faster would be nice in some cases, and the higher cost makes sense.
    Even if my stuff has a chance of exploding, I wouldn't mind this idea. I could overclock my Massfab, or mine even faster.
    ...Though making my Miner dig everything instead of just "valuables" would be nice. I have uses for cobblestone and gravel, and dirt can be recycled! Though I haven't used a Miner in a while, so maybe it still does dig everything up.

Apprentice Redstoner, Professional Slacker

• I normally use BC's quarries, but I remember a time when miner's would dig up everything. Plus a quarry costs a lot to build(11 diamonds, 16 gold, 20 iron, and redstone dust, which I always seem to have problems finding). A miner costs 3 diamonds for a diamond tipped drill, takes low voltage(which I can supply with a few generators feeding a slew of power storage items, or just RE-Batteries), and looks a lot better(less holes in the world which I have to refill with another device).

Though getting 11 diamonds can be easy if you are lucky. Or just happen to find a good cave.

Apprentice Redstoner, Professional Slacker