Suggestion: Immersed Geothermal generators

• Suggestion: Immersed Geothermal generators

Description: same as the water generators generating power from surrounding water blocks, geothermal generators generate power from the surrounding lava blocks. largely increased output to offset the fact that it's more-or-less inaccessible by hand if completely surrounded.

• Oh, I like this one, I don't use Water mills all that much, but I use the Geotherms a lot, and have wondered about that, it would help in the sense that I don't have to worry about my pesky Miner network (it drives me nuts trying to split the current enough to satisfy the rough fifty of them)

• It's Minecraft, it's not really supposed to make any "real-world" sense.

*cough*floatingtrees*cough*

You can't use that excuse. Geothermal energy is geothermal energy, just like a floating minecraft tree is still a tree. Now, if the topic title became something like "lava-induction energy", then it would make sense, but its simply not geothermal.

Also seems IMBA considering the lava would now last forever and provide more energy with almost no drawbacks.

• You can't use that excuse. Geothermal energy is geothermal energy, just like a floating minecraft tree is still a tree. Now, if the topic title became something like "lava-induction energy", then it would make sense, but its simply not geothermal.

Also seems IMBA considering the lava would now last forever and provide more energy with almost no drawbacks.

Yeah, "Lava Induction Energy" would make more sense, especially after reading that whole Wikipedia article.

So, all I can say is that this *could* be another machine made in a similar fashion to the Water Mill.

• You can't use that excuse. Geothermal energy is geothermal energy, just like a floating minecraft tree is still a tree. Now, if the topic title became something like "lava-induction energy", then it would make sense, but its simply not geothermal.

Agreed. I like the generator variety set up as it is in the moment. There's maybe some room at the top of the list beyond nuclear and geo for seriously advanced generators (anti-matter, fusion etc.) but that's another discussion.

• well, maybe it shouldn't be called a geothermal then, but a "thermal induction" or whatever. the mechanic still stands to be accepted or not, and I feel like it'd be a reasonably productive addition.

• well, maybe it shouldn't be called a geothermal then, but a "thermal induction" or whatever. the mechanic still stands to be accepted or not, and I feel like it'd be a reasonably productive addition.

I just fear that it may make a too easily accessible infinite energy source. What sort of cost in terms of resources did you have in mind?

• I just fear that it may make a too easily accessible infinite energy source. What sort of cost in terms of resources did you have in mind?

I agree. The generators follow a very specific path, from being cheap and low energy (wind/water/solar), to being average (gens, geothermal), to being epic and expensive (nuclear), and as the energy output increases, the generator becomes more expensive and requires more other resources to run. Solar is cheap and easy, with infinite energy, thats why you only get 1eu/s, whereas nuclear is quite expensive, requiring a large amount of uranium constantly fed into it, which is why you get 20eu/s. This idea has infinite no-work energy combined with a huge output, it is simply not balanced.

Also, my use of the word "induction" was incorrect. The proper term would likely be "conduction", as the heat of the lava would likely heat water to steam which would run fans. Just wanted to clear that up before it caught on.

• well, if it's going to serve as a replacement for the current geothermal generators, maybe something along the lines of:

[P][C][P]
    [GL][G][GL]
    [CI][C][CI]

[P] = carbon plate (could be replaced by alloy plates?)
    [C] = cable
    [CI] = circuit
    [G] = generator
    [GL] = glass

would output...maybe, 0.5EU/s per lava block adjacent to the generator? that comes in to roughly 12 EU/S with a fully surrounded reactor, minus the cable.

0.25/block would result in 6 EU/s, which seems a bit low, although it is still higher than the normal geothermal. then again, it IS an infinite source of energy...

• I think the costs for an advanced infinite source of energy should be higher.

the crafting recipe should be more like this:

[A] [A]
    [CI][M][CI]
    [A] [C] [A]

[A] = alloy
    = battery
    [CI] = (advanced)circuit
    [C] = cable
    [M] = (advanced)machine

btw. we need ic item smileys

the output should be 0.25 or 0.125 Eu/s/block that would be 3/6 Eu/s if its fully surrounded

• The pay-offs here seem reasonable. What is the advantage of implementing this over keeping the old one? The only one I can see right now is "It gives me more easy energy more constantly for less work", if you want an infinite lava generator why not install buildcraft and use the pump system, that works great.