Suggestion for Addon: Compress Sandstone into RedPower Marble

• I have an idea where one can make extra marble if one cannot find it naturally occurring using RedPower to make some of your own by compressing sandstone. Everyone knows that sand deposits eventually turn to sandstone under pressure and sandstone is turned into marble under great pressure and heat. I like using RedPower to enhance IndustrialCraft, just like a lot of other people here.

• I like this idea. It would be nice if cobblestone could also be extracted to gravel and gravel compressed to basalt. (gravel cooked back to cobblestone would also be nice. That would complete a few material state machines. The glass cycle is already a dead-end spur, but that's OK as cobble/stone is renewable.)

• I like this idea. It would be nice if cobblestone could also be extracted to gravel and gravel compressed to basalt. (gravel cooked back to cobblestone would also be nice. That would complete a few material state machines. The glass cycle is already a dead-end spur, but that's OK as cobble/stone is renewable.)

im perfectly fine with the sandstone recipe above but basalt's lava rock last i checked so that'd make no sense unless having lava on top of a stone block cooked it into basalt, now thatd make sense.

• (snip)Everyone knows that sand deposits eventually turn to sandstone under pressure and sandstone is turned into marble under great pressure and heat.(snip)

Quote from Wikipedia

Marble is a metamorphic rock composed of recrystallized carbonate minerals, most commonly calcite or dolomite.

You may have been thinking of one of the calcitic rocks (such as limestone and the other rocks mentioned above), rather than sandstone. Sandstone, when under great heat and pressure, turns into Quartzite for the most part.

slauter24: Basalt is quickly cooled mafic magma/lava. I don't know about the method MJEvans described, but it makes sense to be able to make it from lava (more sense than having lava make cobblestone when it touches water, at least).

(Sorry, I couldn't stop myself, Geology is my Minor, and a hobby)

• Yeah, marble is metamorphic limestone - which is a sedimentary rock. As far as the idea - I think it's better suited as a RedPower add-on, even though you intend to involve the IC2 Compressor in the job. Basically, there's no real use for marble other than decoration.

• I believe Eloraam has future plans for marble as a calcium carbonate source. I think a more appropriate process here would be to dump sandstone into an extractor to yield calcite dust/cement, and then smelt (or compress?) that into marble. Adjusting the extraction result in the future to match Eloraam's plans (and Forge's ore dictionary), just to keep these two great mods in sync. I don't know how "realistic" that process is, but it seems to grok with my several-minute read through Wikipedia. It could be an alternate source of CF as well, since CF is kind of like a cement, right? It's a stretch, but then again, you start the game by punching down a tree.

• Sorry, quartzite rings a bell. Yeah, I have not learned much geology since middle school. Though I guess it makes sense since marble is mostly calcium carbonate, like chalk and coral and sand is mostly silicon dioxide.

So... Nevermind my suggestion and only being able to mine marble makes perfect sense.

• More useful rock dusts that could be mixed to form useful synthetic stones and other chemical recipes? I like the sound of that.

• More useful rock dusts that could be mixed to form useful synthetic stones and other chemical recipes? I like the sound of that.

Reminds me of Al's plans for hybrid plants. Hoo boy, if this is accepted then IC2 will have gotten a lot more fun.

• Compressing Sandstone to Marble: No
    Extracting Calcite from Sand: Yes
    Compressing Gravel to Basalt: No

BUT!

Maceating Basalt into Gravel: Yes?

Would anyone like to try a Slowpoke Tail?! Only 1 Million Yen!

this isn't about arrogance or ego, I have a block that I put a lot of freaking work into

Every Mod Author, in existence. And yet, you STILL say otherwise.