Reactor go boom, wth?

• Right, so. I'll save us all some hassle and admit I am a newbie to this. It says the reactor needs water cooling, so I go out into an ocean, deep one, build up a temporary column of dirt so I can plop down the reactor somewhere in the middle, a ton of water above and below. Remove dirt, put in the chambers, wired it up, and replicated the design by Yogscast. All going well until about a half hour or so later I hear a large *boom!*. Now there is a large crater in the ocean and a lot of missing water. A safe reactor design (I presume) and a *TON* of water and it still blows up, why? O.o

Fiddling with Blue Talon a little, I hope I copied this out right...

http://www.talonfiremage.pwp.b…=1k10101011501521s1r11r10

And the Yogscast video that showed it, just in case.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6TE2ngen0Y&t=11m10s

• You watched yogscast and followed a design they used which they got from a random person on the internet... I might as well have told you to fill your reactor with only uranium cells and said "This way you get 2,400 EU/t, which beats any other generator in known history" and fail to mention that no matter how much water you have around it, it is still going to explode (VIOLENTLY) in 6 seconds.

Oh well, now you have learned to not blindly follow what yogscast says. And you have learned that reactors can (and will) explode if you don't use them properly.
    There is a whole plethora of information on them in this forum section. Feel free to read and learn all about them and then return to your design.

And use that Talonfiremage site to check your reactor designs. If it says anything other than "Mark I" then your reactor can explode.

• There are non Mark I designs which have /other/ engineered things which prevent explosion (cut-off timers, switched use, other such things); however all of them /can/ explode if the engineering controls fail.

• You watched yogscast and followed a design they used which they got from a random person on the internet... Oh well, now you have learned to not blindly follow what yogscast says.

That's exactly what I was thinking. Also, never count on anything but source blocks of water to provide ongoing cooling! Even containment vessels that are cooled by flowing water have it supplied by an un-reachable source (meaning outside the range of what the reactor can evaporate due to heat). I don't think the ocean is a good place for it (besides, what are you planning to power out there?). See the missing water where the reactor was? That just goes to show that blocks in an ocean don't replenish themselves the same way as a man-made vessel full of source blocks.

• That's exactly what I was thinking. Also, never count on anything but source blocks of water to provide ongoing cooling! Even containment vessels that are cooled by flowing water have it supplied by an un-reachable source (meaning outside the range of what the reactor can evaporate due to heat). I don't think the ocean is a good place for it (besides, what are you planning to power out there?). See the missing water where the reactor was? That just goes to show that blocks in an ocean don't replenish themselves the same way as a man-made vessel full of source blocks.

*hrrs and thinks, fiddling* I need quite a lot of power, I have two Industrial Engines (From the Crossover mod) that run fine in day with 6 large solar panel flowers but when the sun goes down it just drains the MFEs in a very short time and everything grinds to a halt. Let's see, if the EU Reader is right... Each engine can take 128 EU/t and I have 1 Large Electric Engine and two Industrial Electric Engines, so that's what... 384 EU/t ? O.o That sounds like a butt tonne right there. *looks at the safest design created so far* Might have to build several reactors at that rate... Each with it's own MFSU. Wow... This is starting to sound expensive. Unless anyone has any ideas? I'm just kludging my way though this as best as I can. *hmm* I'll glance though the other posts and peek at other designs people have created. See if I can't get the EU/t up some and still keep it safe. But ideas are always welcome. Thanks for the info so far. :D

• Simple version; there is no safe way of high EU.

You will require either buildcraft + additional pipes mod OR Redpower2 to build a Constantly Applied Reusable Use Coolant (everyone else but me calls it a CASUC, except I argue no resources are being consumed (the water involved regenerates) and thus the description isn't accurate) reactor which is cooled by say, water buckets. (In the build planner you'll want one that is missing one/two chambers (depending on your build plan) and has a multiple of 250 excess heat per second before adding buckets to match that, make sure you change the buckets per second option+tick to the correct value; oh and building it... you'll want to experiment with feeding it buckets at that rate or better. RP2 is very easy to do that in.)

An alternate plan if not using either of those mods is explored in my nuclear battery thread; but there you'd need to build and route power from ~4 reactors per 128 load; though one design could almost do it with 2 sets of reactors (the costs are higher though so you'd probably want to go the other way).

However there's also a glitch in 1.42 which causes a crash at the end of reactor cycles. Supposedly a patch is known and a bugfix release is expected 'soon' (probably a safe bet before Xmas).

• You could do it in many different ways. Since you have buildcraft installed you can make tree farms that automate a power plant of 40 generators. I recommend the BC addon "additional pipes" which makes working with BC pipes a whole lot easier.
    There are many other possibilities of course but most of them call for redpower 2 to be installed or another kinds of power conversion mod...
    If you wanna see what a 1740 EU/t CARUC (hi Evans!) design looks like then see this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SQCc3N71FM

I have yet to see anyone else do anything that produces as much power... Mainly due to nuclear reactors being bugged at the moment ;)

• You trusted a dwarf known for building bridges out of TNT? Be more careful.
    EDIT:
    This is a slightly safer design. But you can only run one cycle before cooldown.
    EDIT: Teh correct link. http://www.talonfiremage.pwp.b…=1k10101011501521s1r11r10

1. OMG CREEPER RUN AWAY!
    2. Go away, you creeper wierdo!
    3. What ever, I'll just go around.
    4. Hup, over their heads I go!
    5. Okay Mister living grenade, I'm going to knock you into those skeletons, and I'll follow through with a nano saber. Understood? FOR THE ALMIGHTLY DRAGON LORD!

• You trusted a dwarf known for building bridges out of TNT? Be more careful.
    EDIT:
    This is a slightly safer design. But you can only run one cycle before cooldown.
    EDIT: Teh correct link. http://www.talonfiremage.pwp.b…=1k10101011501521s1r11r10

Both links are the same...