Could we get more usefull information and less bad jokes on the wiki?

• Guys, the wiki is fine as it is. If you REALLY want to know the "Secrets" use a guide, or look it up. Secrets add a level of "Hey! Look at what I figured out!" to the game and the wiki is actually really informative and has all the information you need. I mean, it's not like "Oh yeah, you have to figure out how to get refined iron." is what it's trying to do. All it's doing is keeping some of the really high endgame stuff a secret. And Saul, Alblaka and the rest of the devs do a great job. Don't flame them.

Haikus are poems

They don't always make sense

Potato

• Wow, i really cant believe you guys would flame admin.
    I have a lot of respect AL and the entire development team. (Actually more than Mojang)
    I have a lot of fun with industrial craft and its respective forge mods.

A wiki is a place for information i agree but this is a community based on the "Fun Factor"
    All jokes on the Wiki are in good faith and good fun. I would know, i wrote a few of them.
    Maby the wiki has gotten out of hand and needs to be re balanced with a higher emphasis on broken down information.
    Because of this im considering getting a few High level, knowledgeable IC2 players to take a focus on improving the wiki.

@UUM Secret.
    Its my personal opinion that UUM should be kept a secret. i like the idea of having one or two "Secret's" to find.
    Just my 2 :Industrial Credit:

Alblaka says:

"People using their intellect in attempts to discuss other people into the ground could be considered less intellectual then people using their intellect for something beneficial :3"

• :) I agree

Haikus are poems

They don't always make sense

Potato

• Hey guys, just got into IC a few weeks ago and I think it's great.

I was considering adding it to my server, but ultimately decided against it because I can't really figure out how a lot of the stuff works or what kind of max/min power settings a lot of the machines take, there's just way too much stuff that's undocumented and I can't tell whether or not it's because its "secret" (pretty dumb concept if you ask me) or if it's simply because nobody else can figure this stuff out either.

If I can't figure out how to use the mod, then I'm certain nearly none of my users will be able to, so I'll put that on hold until I can actually get a solid grip on the concepts that aren't described anywhere and don't feel like I'm being trolled by what is supposed to be an encyclopedia.

Cheers!

• [Group Project] Wiki Improvement Team It's abandoned now. Lord knows why but hey, what can you do? It's a real shame to see something that would have been so good just get abandoned like this. What can ya do though? The wiki still needs major clean-up and rewrites. The jokes shouldn't be deleted, but they should be separated and condensed into smaller nuggets in the articles, written more as asides than anything else. The "secrets" BS needs to go. It's an antiquated notion that should be done with and in lieu the recipes should just be hidden by spoiler. I don't see how giving the community their information would at all be detrimental to its light-hearted jokey-ness. In fact, by having secret pages and secret recipes you effectively cut off a portion of the community and deter it from growing. This mod would only benefit from a wiki that does it justice rather than the current incomplete out of date and all too ineffective wiki that only curtails the endeavors of those working to better it. If anyone can tell me why this noble cause was abandoned or who might be willing to take up the mantle, please don't hesitate a second more.

The jokes shouldn't be deleted, but they should be separated and condensed into smaller nuggets in the articles, written more as asides than anything else.

They're already at the bottom of the pages they are on, I don't know how to say "don't like it, don't read it" better than that.

The "secrets" BS needs to go. It's an antiquated notion that should be done with and in lieu the recipes should just be hidden by spoiler. I don't see how giving the community their information would at all be detrimental to its light-hearted jokey-ness. In fact, by having secret pages and secret recipes you effectively cut off a portion of the community and deter it from growing.

I don't really agree, I think it is effective at what it is meant for, telling people that there are, in fact, secrets, it more or less encourages people learning the secrets from other people after using the mod for some time, I'm not certain I know them all and I have been using this mod for about a year now. Some are out there for people that search for them like the glowstone dust recipe, the thread about how to maximize fuel (super fuel of a kind), and the fact that if you insert a ████████ ███████ into a compressor, it creates an infinite feedback loop resulting in [DATA EXPUNGED] and an explosion equivalent to 2.47 nukes set off simultaneously. Anyway, I feel that if anything it encourages a growing community, people might be inclined to ask each other what they know that isn't listed on the wiki, it's not like anything actually important is a secret recipe (unless it totally is, and I'm unaware of it).

This mod would only benefit from a wiki that does it justice rather than the current incomplete out of date and all too ineffective wiki that only curtails the endeavors of those working to better it.

I don't see what you mean, is the wiki hard to understand? Back when I first started using IndustrialCraft, that wiki was literally all I had to go on, I never had any problems understanding a certain subject or item. Also, "incomplete" and "out of date", how so? Besides secrets, I'm pretty certain all of the items, blocks, and concepts are listed on there, as well as it being up to date with all recent changes to the mod (Reactors mainly).

If anyone can tell me why this noble cause was abandoned or who might be willing to take up the mantle, please don't hesitate a second more.

As far as I know, this "noble cause" was abandoned simply because there were not that many people that were signed up to do it, either that or the job was considered finished, I don't actually know, but those seem to be the most likely to me.

Is the answer to this question no?

Hey don't take it so hard. Ignorance is part of this generation it seems. -the wise words of XFmax-o-l

• We must protect the legend of HAYOspeak!

I, the IC-Editor who is doing the HAYOish (I don't have to solve a captcha for wiki edits! Yay!), the creator of the HI-JOE IC² language pack and the creator of the first HAYO-ish suggestion, will not rest until every wiki article has something HAYO-ish!

The forum won't let me specify my gender accurately, so I'll just use my signature to say that I go by they/them pronouns.

I, the IC-Editor who is doing the HAYOish (I don't have to solve a captcha for wiki edits! Yay!), the creator of the HI-JOE IC² language pack and the creator of the first HAYO-ish suggestion, will not rest until every wiki article has something HAYO-ish!

Speaking of HI-JOE, mind reviving it, with GregTech support? And vanilla support, you can go to minecraft.jar/lang/**_**.lang to change the names of the default vanilla items.

• Speaking of HI-JOE, mind reviving it, with GregTech support? And vanilla support, you can go to minecraft.jar/lang/**_**.lang to change the names of the default vanilla items.

I'm working on it, I'm planning in GregTech support and I already had vanilla support. The problem is that I have a hard time thinking of good names.

The forum won't let me specify my gender accurately, so I'll just use my signature to say that I go by they/them pronouns.

• I personally like the humour and to be honest I've found that the IC2 wiki is at the more comprehensive end of the minecraft mod wiki spectrum.

I'll admit that some of the modpacks out there have some wikis that are better than the IC2 wiki, but that is hardly surprising given that the compilers of a modpack have way less work on their plate than a mod developer.

• i am a new corner in the industrial craft stuff

i agree with the OP

i had used the wiki so many times to find info on recipes and what to do etc,

but it seems the wiki is not that usefull sometimes..
    when i read an article and i see thoose jokes, i skip them, i really don't care abou them, i thought that someone can find them funny maybe like.. but i personally hate them.. my english is not great and i don't understand a lot of them, but come on, i come for the wiki to read info, not "jokes".. i don't care about them

usually i am playing industrial craft, and i have the wiki open for see the recipes or read what exaclty does a machine i didn't tryed yet..

there is a lot of recipes missing in the recipes list, like the materials and etc..

i know,"why don't you ad it blblabla", but come on you expect the new guy who doesn't know much about the industrial craft to write that info

about the UUmatter recipes, i don't agree with the OP, they are supposed to be semi-secret, i personally tried to find them myself and i had found about 10 recipes alone (but then i get tired and searched in another website luls)

some info is really hard to find, like the info about what exaclty is voltage and how it works

i had trouble to find voltage was actually "packets" and not eu/t, when i had 6 solar painels in one tin wire i really get confused why it didn't explode, and just after some search i could find about the packets... i mean the wiki doesn't give easy links to that information, it does for some of the recipes, but not for mechanics..

• Instead of a rant, how about a solution?
    I think the wiki can be updated with information while retaining it's 'hayo.' it sounds like most of the problem can be solved with a format being set for the wiki pages.
    some people want the crunched numbers, they can put them on the page toward the bottom (in a spoiler tag? don't know if wiki has that) or on another page, while the 'hayo' descriptions and such remain at the top. If people are coming to the wiki, they are looking for information, but that information does not have to be dull "this does this when configured like this." If AL doesn't want the uum recipes on the wiki, then so be it. There is a ton of other things that can be posted. I personally think a list of the 'crunched' numbers might help addon creators balance their addons in certain situations, but not everyone wants to know that "the recycler uses [x] equation when calculating scrap production."

I see no reason we (the community and devs) can't work this out.

• Instead of a rant, how about a solution?
    I think the wiki can be updated with information while retaining it's 'hayo.' it sounds like most of the problem can be solved with a format being set for the wiki pages.
    some people want the crunched numbers, they can put them on the page toward the bottom (in a spoiler tag? don't know if wiki has that) or on another page, while the 'hayo' descriptions and such remain at the top. If people are coming to the wiki, they are looking for information, but that information does not have to be dull "this does this when configured like this." If AL doesn't want the uum recipes on the wiki, then so be it. There is a ton of other things that can be posted. I personally think a list of the 'crunched' numbers might help addon creators balance their addons in certain situations, but not everyone wants to know that "the recycler uses [x] equation when calculating scrap production."

I see no reason we (the community and devs) can't work this out.

The HAYO has been added as a subsection already.