Linux Operating System And Industrial Craft

• Hello all! I am currently in the process of building a gaming computer. When I got to the choice of operating systems, I started to look into Linux. Now I've heard that is compatible with most things, but also heard there are some issues. It would be nice to be able to save some money on the op system, but I don't want to sacrifice a whole lot.I want it to be compatible with IC2 of course, as well as most/all mods. If you have/have used Linux, I would appreciate any problems and solutions to events that have occurred to you, as well as pros and cons. Thanks guys.

P.S. I heard there is another free op system based more on Windows, no idea about it tho, but interested nonetheless.

EDIT: Here is the link for my PC build, and all the parts I've currently selected.
    http://forum.industrial-craft.…ad&postID=34469#post34469

I5 2500K | 4GB Cosair Vengence | Radeon 6850 | Rosewill 600w PSU | GigaByte Z68MA | CM Elite 311 | Dell 19" 720p (upgrading soon!)| Hitachi 500 GB 7200 HDD | LG 24X |Windows 7 (Genuine!)
    Alblaka in a Lightning Rod suggestion thread...[/size]

• Official Post

The only known issue with Linux in regard of IC is it's nasty habit to ignore alphabetical order, which can essentiall cause addons to malfunction if they are loaded before IC2 is.
    However, i've read the most recent ML version fixes this problem. Not entirely sure though.

• I heard from Mac's that it's a bit difficult to modify the MC.jar because they don't merge folders in the .jar file. No idea if that is true for linux too. But it's not something that will stop you from using Mods, but might cause some errors if you try it first.

• The only known issue with Linux in regard of IC is it's nasty habit to ignore alphabetical order, which can essentiall cause addons to malfunction if they are loaded before IC2 is.
    However, i've read the most recent ML version fixes this problem. Not entirely sure though.

Thank you very much, glad to hear it.

Hate every encounter with linux as a desktop OS, but love it as a server OS.

Could you give some examples please? I do plan on using the computer to run a server to play with friends, if it can handle it, as well as using it as my main workspace. (My $300 laptop really doesn't cut it :3)

I5 2500K | 4GB Cosair Vengence | Radeon 6850 | Rosewill 600w PSU | GigaByte Z68MA | CM Elite 311 | Dell 19" 720p (upgrading soon!)| Hitachi 500 GB 7200 HDD | LG 24X |Windows 7 (Genuine!)

• The only known issue with Linux in regard of IC is it's nasty habit to ignore alphabetical order, which can essentiall cause addons to malfunction if they are loaded before IC2 is.

If the new version of ML does not indeed fix the load order issue, I have a workaround that has proven successful on my own server. I made a 50mb file formatted as a vfat file system and mounted that file as my 'mods' folder. This causes the files in the mods folder to be loaded similar to the way Windows orders the files to load.

If needed I can provide more details, if anyone needs just PM me to remind me to do it when I'm not on my laptop.

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

• If the new version of ML does not indeed fix the load order issue, I have a workaround that has proven successful on my own server. I made a 50mb file formatted as a vfat file system and mounted that file as my 'mods' folder. This causes the files in the mods folder to be loaded similar to the way Windows orders the files to load.

If needed I can provide more details, if anyone needs just PM me to remind me to do it when I'm not on my laptop.

Thanks for the info, probably won't need to worry about it right away, as I haven't even ordered the parts yet. But I may look into your fix when the time arises.

• i am running minecraft on linux too and without problem.and with some addons too. there is only one nasty bug with key stuck which can be fixed by updating lwjgl.

btw from my experience linux return files in order which were copied into directory. so you just need copy ic2.jar into mods directory first and then addons.

• i am running minecraft on linux too and without problem.and with some addons too. there is only one nasty bug with key stuck which can be fixed by updating lwjgl.
    btw from my experience linux return files in order which were copied into directory. so you just need copy ic2.jar into mods directory first and then addons.

it is really the ctime? when it is the mtime then a simple "touch filename" can do the job also.

• it is really the ctime? when it is the mtime then a simple "touch filename" can do the job also.

Then you have to do that every time you change anything- either copy all your mods one by one and in order, or touch the mods one by one in order. Add a mod? Update a mod? You'll have to manually sort the load order every time.

Or you can set up a vfat that acts like it's own windows filesystem and fix the problem permanently... assuming the most recent ML doesn't fix it.

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

• Not realy with the -m switch you can set the mtime of a file

and by the way what the problem with a command like:

find . -name "mod_*" -exec touch {} \;

• I use Linux to run Minecraft on my games machine and it works like a charm. The only issue I had was that block IDs on my system were generated differently to that of other systems, so I had to be given Redpower and BC config files to play on the SMP server which I frequent. Oddly enough, IC generated its block IDs just fine.

Of course, when we updated the server, it then generated block IDs that corresponded with nobody else's except mine. So now we're handing out config files to everyone except me...

GENERATION (Pineapple + i): The first pineapple you see, copy it into your sig on any forum and add sqrt(-1) to the generation. Pineapple experiment.

• Of course, when we updated the server, it then generated block IDs that corresponded with nobody else's except mine. So now we're handing out config files to everyone except me...

Same thing happened to me, I'm working on a small config sync script that will sync the config files I have (server-side) with my friends on the client side to try to fix that. Not going so well.

EDIT: If you're going to be setting up a server, OS-wise I'd say go with MineOS+: MineOS+ - Home. It's nice and simple, and it does a lot of the heavy lifting for you. I used it's predecessor, and really enjoyed it (until some griefer crashed the server, found him though)

• Thank you Ultimate! Will seriously consider using the program when I get to that point. Anyone have any problems with steam games/have any workarounds for problems for steam? I heard steam doesn't work well with Linux.

EDIT: As I'm reading more into linux, I'm seeing there are different versions, like Ubuntu and a few others. What would be best for my purposes? What would you recommend?

EDIT2: Currently running Ubuntu instead of Windows 7 on my laptop, and love the look and feel. No idea on game compatibility, but at least it looks good :D

• Steam can work with Linux when run under WINE, but requires a bit of work.

Ubuntu is good for those just getting comfortable with Linux (Linux Mint works too.)

There is a program that is like Steam, can't remember it's name, though. I'll edit with it's name once I do find it though.

EDIT: Okay, my hunch was right, it's called Desura.

Link to it's page: http://www.desura.com/

• Ok, Desura doesn't look as vast as steam, but definitly looks like an option. Is linux compatibility the reason you posted it?

• More or less... :whistling: :whistling:

....Please elaborate. :rolleyes:

• Well, I've found Desura to be a fairly decent substitute for Steam in many cases and figured it could work for you until such a time that Valve decides to support the *nix side of the OS line.

• Well, I've found Desura to be a fairly decent substitute for Steam in many cases and figured it could work for you until such a time that Valve decides to support the *nix side of the OS line.

So you are saying it supports linux a lot better than steam? If so, I'm sold on linux for the most part, unless someone brings up another negative point.