Suggestion: Better Uranium Enrichment

• Back in IC1, the whole nuclear industry worked like this: find uranium ore, make reactor, stick the ore in reactor to enrich it, and then stick the uranium ingots in the reactor again to get EU. You could also take your uranium ingots and make nukes with them and f**k s**t up.
    IC2 nuclear industry: get uranium ore, make reactor, chambers, coolant cells, HDs and plating, find design that gives good EU/t and doesn't overheat, compress uranium ore into ingots, stick it in cells, stick them in reactor, get EU/t. You can also use the refined uranium to make nukes and f**k s**t up.
    Much less boring, and I'm glad the IC2 team gave it its update. However, I did like the realism of having to refine uranium into a different product in a reactor before it could be used. The new "compression" method would make sense for uranium (U-235/U-239) in a reactor, but for making bombs? Nuclear weapons are made IRL almost always out of nuclear refuse (AKA plutonium, AKA P-241), not good potential energy filled uranium. So, I propose this: from now on, nukes are made by taking a Depleted Isotope Cell, extracting the Isotope, compressing the refuse, and then putting the new product back into a cell and into a reactor, like a breeder. Then making a bomb out of it. Perhaps to offset the cost of the extra processing, nukes only require one plutonium? Another bonus: the added complexity means that it is even HARDER for terrori- griefers to get their hands on super scary weaponry! So whaddya think? Does it need more balance? Do you think that this idea is good, but it should be more integrated in nuclear science so that it doesn't only apply to crazies who make nukes? Or should this idea be forgotten forever, doomed to the pits of the Nether?

• I'd personally like some way of turning uranium cells (or one of their derivatives, like isotope cells, or re-enriched isotope cells, etc.) into nukes. Just so that I can make an illicit nuclear material enrichment facility and deny its existence to all the inspectors, then deny that it's being used for weapons when it gets discovered and then finally deny that the weapons are going to be used on something once they discover the automatic Buildcraft nuke factory fed by the enrichment facility. It would also give me a reason to use my breeder reactor.

GENERATION (Pineapple + i): The first pineapple you see, copy it into your sig on any forum and add sqrt(-1) to the generation. Pineapple experiment.

• Seems near-depleted uranium cells can be made very easily, I'm guessing something would need to be changed if so.

You would still need to extract the isotope and put it in a breeder (Kinda like making a reneriched uranium cell), only diference its that you will get a different product. A few ways to offset this would be to have more than 1 plutonium in the new recipe for the nuke (2-3 should suffice), or make it so plutonium refining needs more time than reenriching a uranium cell or (If possible) make it so the nuclear generator needs to run PRETTY HOT and stay on that level or above to make the plutonium, if it runs cooler than a certain level it will actually lose progress.

• Back in IC1, the whole nuclear industry worked like this: find uranium ore, make reactor, stick the ore in reactor to enrich it, and then stick the uranium ingots in the reactor again to get EU. You could also take your uranium ingots and make nukes with them and f**k s**t up.
    IC2 nuclear industry: get uranium ore, make reactor, chambers, coolant cells, HDs and plating, find design that gives good EU/t and doesn't overheat, compress uranium ore into ingots, stick it in cells, stick them in reactor, get EU/t. You can also use the refined uranium to make nukes and f**k s**t up.
    Much less boring, and I'm glad the IC2 team gave it its update. However, I did like the realism of having to refine uranium into a different product in a reactor before it could be used. The new "compression" method would make sense for uranium (U-235/U-239) in a reactor, but for making bombs? Nuclear weapons are made IRL almost always out of nuclear refuse (AKA plutonium, AKA P-241), not good potential energy filled uranium. So, I propose this: from now on, nukes are made by taking a Depleted Isotope Cell, extracting the Isotope, compressing the refuse, and then putting the new product back into a cell and into a reactor, like a breeder. Then making a bomb out of it. Perhaps to offset the cost of the extra processing, nukes only require one plutonium? Another bonus: the added complexity means that it is even HARDER for terrori- griefers to get their hands on super scary weaponry! So whaddya think? Does it need more balance? Do you think that this idea is good, but it should be more integrated in nuclear science so that it doesn't only apply to crazies who make nukes? Or should this idea be forgotten forever, doomed to the pits of the Nether?

Nukes nowadays are typically made of U-235, which is the MOST energy dense one. It kinda makes sense to use the one that contains the most energy in a big explody thing. The reason why reactors aren't explody is because they use a neutron gun to set off the uranium, which sets off a small amount at a time. Nuclear bombs, however, use a conventional explosive to set off the uranium, which causes ALL the uranium to explode at the same time. Although, I think that you should have to extract refined uranium to get U-235, which you use in nukes. In reality, you get U-235 by placing uranium in a centrifuge, and taking the stuff in the middle out. You also refine uranium ore by spinning it in a centrifuge and taking the stuff on the sides out. So maybe make it so you extract uranium, rather than compress it?

It has become a little stubbly. Implement facial hair growth in IC²? Vision continuously grows more furry until you shave. (approx once every 2 minecraft days ;P)

Steve shaves with his chainsaw.
    Check out Factorio- A game where you build a factory from scratch.

• Actually U-233 is potentially more dangerous because you need less. Under the best circumstance you only need about 430g of U-233, while it is over 600g for U-235. For Bombs (since the Uraniums ist solved in water) it would be 17kg for U-235 and about 7kg for U-233. Well but since U-233 is generated by breeding Thorium it's not part of the game.

But since Steve needs all his uranium for producing EU there is a point in only using Plutonium for bombs, and well the critical mass is quite small... it's about 8kg under normal circumstances (49kg for U-235) and would decrease further based on the bombdesign. Actually our nuke is a dirty bomb since it doesn't seem to cause a nuclear explosion but spreads our radioaktiv material widely... but well it's an easy recipe^^.

Plutonium has another advantage. Steve could create a RTG as some kind of fancy never-depleting-battery. You could put such a thing inside a machine to produce tiny amounts of EU as some kind of upgrade (well... the battery will deplete, but T(50) of Pu-238 is 88 years.

So basically I would go the Pu-Way if you want to change something. Pu is created by putting depleted cells into a breeder. Pu could be used to again produce Pu-Cells which don't work alone but need a Uranium-Cell nearby to provide power (to simulate MOX-Elements^^). And Pu could be used to make bombs.

• Still, there's an easier way to make much more powerful bombs...

Replace the protons in 1g of oxygen with antiprotons, replace the electrons with positrons. Mix 1g antioxygen with 1g oxygen. Instant explosion that's probably bigger than ~500kg of U-233. Plus, no fallout (except for the super-short burst of massive radiation in the millions of rems)

I think that there should be a way to craft Antimatter out of UUM. Maybe with 8 UUM, you can craft 1 antimatter, 4 antimatter+4UUM, + nuke= Antimatter Bomb, which is 50x as powerful as a nuke but leaves no items behind. Pretty much just for griefing with no lag.

It has become a little stubbly. Implement facial hair growth in IC²? Vision continuously grows more furry until you shave. (approx once every 2 minecraft days ;P)

Steve shaves with his chainsaw.
    Check out Factorio- A game where you build a factory from scratch.

• How would Steve manage to store the Antimatter in his backpack?
    Any way, I think the guy meant :Enriched Cell: instead of :Depleted Cell:

1. OMG CREEPER RUN AWAY!
    2. Go away, you creeper wierdo!
    3. What ever, I'll just go around.
    4. Hup, over their heads I go!
    5. Okay Mister living grenade, I'm going to knock you into those skeletons, and I'll follow through with a nano saber. Understood? FOR THE ALMIGHTLY DRAGON LORD!