Mysterious cocoa plant

• 1. Yes
    2. One is all you need, but for quik breeding two is better (as in you can plant two and breed them).

And to the "no plant requires a spezial biome" that might be true, but Cocoa still needs a certain requirement not all biomes fullfill without fertilization and/or hydration.

EDIT: Just looked it up, in a PM he wrote to me, after a false bugreport of mine about not being able to plant cocoa, he stated "It has some additional requirements that are met virtually everywhere, but if you´ve got bad luck and placed your crop on a dumb place, you might not be able to plant it." (paraphrased that from german into english).

• um i think cocoa beans require a certain number of dirt blocks bellow the plant , it seems to be plantable if the crop block have 3 dirt under it

• Maybe it's just PvP, but even in my "optimized" farm I still find it very difficult to plant cocoa. I put my farm around height 210, it's 3 blocks thick of dirt with 1 extra block of dirt that the crops are placed on. I'll fertilize, hydrate, fertilize again, and then try to plant the cocoa. Trying this on 4 crop blocks I only got one cocoa to plant immediately, the others took about 10 minutes to plant. They eventually did, requiring nothing added but lots of right clicking. I think this may be some sort of bug pertaining to the special requirements of cocoa. Anyways, I am very happy to say that I have tons of cocoa now.

Also, the cocoa doesn't seem to want to fully bloom without fertilizer. Just an FYI.

• What version are you using? 1.71 and earlier had an overflow bug which made hydrating and fertilizing very glitchy, you could get negative values if you used them too often(or for hydration, the first use was always negative)

Other than that I'm not sure, it could be a biome problem or something depending where you are(biomes can affect hydration), on my old world I could only plant some crops on one side of my farm, because half of it was in a desert biome(or atleast that was the only reason for it I could come up with)

• Official Post

EDIT: Just looked it up, in a PM he wrote to me, after a false bugreport of mine about not being able to plant cocoa, he stated "It has some additional requirements that are met virtually everywhere, but if you´ve got bad luck and placed your crop on a dumb place, you might not be able to plant it." (paraphrased that from german into english).

May that explains Jivix problem