[Suggestion] Quantum Chests

• IC2 isn't about transporting items. It's about Industrializing everything else.

I can only disagree with that in the human industrializing process a key role was played by goods transportation improvement from a place to an other, else we could't have a lot of stuff (example the England was the first state to be industrialized cause he ruled the seas: it meant faster transportation of goods from colonies that were refined or processed in the UK) as the point now IC2 is an electricity mod not an industrial mod even chemistry have a key role in industries (i'm not suggesting that cause "already exist a chemistry mod ecc.") but a better transportation perfectly suits the industrial meaning of the mod!!!

EDIT: wow page 2 it is a lot of discussion :D

• If you are going to quote me, at least quote correctly, if Elo made an API, dependency on core file would not be needed and the rewriting of the pipes would not be so extensive.

Of course. If Elo would make an API it is most likely located inside RP-Core. This would mean that you need RP-Core to use the functions of the API which would make BC indeed dependable on RP.

I can only disagree with that in the human industrializing process a key role was played by goods transportation improvement from a place to an other, else we could't have a lot of stuff (example the England was the first state to be industrialized cause he ruled the seas: it meant faster transportation of goods from colonies that were refined or processed in the UK) as the point now IC2 is an electricity mod not an industrial mod even chemistry have a key role in industries (i'm not suggesting that cause "already exist a chemistry mod ecc.") but a better transportation perfectly suits the industrial meaning of the mod!!!

The main part of industrialisation was Rails. And we already have them in MC. Actually the only transportation-system similar to BC-Pipes or RP-tubes is internal post-delivery which sometimes uses pipes to transport messages (they are stored in small capsules).

• The main part of industrialisation was Rails. And we already have them in MC. Actually the only transportation-system similar to BC-Pipes or RP-tubes is internal post-delivery which sometimes uses pipes to transport messages (they are stored in small capsules).

yes almost true but ever tried to use rails (and I mean basic MC rails cause there's a mod even 4 that) to transport something? The furnace + minecart is useless if u don't work in plan to pull the chest minecart (even working in plan is so slow that i can go faster walking and have a shitty autonomy) and if u have to do powered rails it will dry out the gold (that I use for other mods in big amounts) also then U have to think transportation in minecraft way! a railway is sometimes impossible to set and U would need a major update do automate the whole thing or a bad ass of a redstone circuit and, at least, a block to withdraw and/or load stuff in minecarts that i'm pretty sure already exist

• yes almost true but ever tried to use rails (and I mean basic MC rails cause there's a mod even 4 that) to transport something? The furnace + minecart is useless if u don't work in plan to pull the chest minecart (even working in plan is so slow that i can go faster walking and have a shitty autonomy) and if u have to do powered rails it will dry out the gold (that I use for other mods in big amounts) also then U have to think transportation in minecraft way! a railway is sometimes impossible to set and U would need a major update do automate the whole thing or a bad ass of a redstone circuit and, at least, a block to withdraw and/or load stuff in minecarts that i'm pretty sure already exist

Railcraft does most of this, yeah. But even without setting up rails is easy, and if you use other mods to waste your gold you might also use other mods for transportation. With IC2 alone you have more than enough gold to only build powered rails (which does not make sense, but well). So technically the chest-cart will increase your inventory. And if you have more than one you could mine, fill a cart and send it home. If you go back you could unload all carts and put them back in your inventory.

• I was just proposing something the mod miss in my opinion quantum chests should be not so much against the IC2 spirit... in the end they are just like teleporter... a little more portable and only for objects, to me is a good idea... out of all transportation discussion.
    Another idea... you can make them work just if powered set the gui like a double chest with an external slot to hold batteries crystals batpack or lappack make it cost to deposit in the chest dunno 1EU per item so u don't use it to store cobble ;)

• I was just proposing something the mod miss in my opinion quantum chests should be not so much against the IC2 spirit... in the end they are just like teleporter... a little more portable and only for objects, to me is a good idea... out of all transportation discussion.
    Another idea... you can make them work just if powered set the gui like a double chest with an external slot to hold batteries crystals batpack or lappack make it cost to deposit in the chest dunno 1EU per item so u don't use it to store cobble ;)

Yeah but there actually is a mod which does exactly and only this.

• Yeah but there actually is a mod which does exactly and only this.

ah yeah almost forgot the reason of the whole discussion however stupid recipe for a so powerful chest and you've got to go to the niether forcefully in order to obtain it... if you don't use toomanyitems

• Quite the contrary, if Elo made an api spacetoad just need to add a few variables to make the pipes works with covers and thats it, if it detects RP2 then you can use the covers with the pipes if it doesnt detect rp2 it will be just plain old buildcraft.

• Quite the contrary, if Elo made an api spacetoad just need to add a few variables to make the pipes works with covers and thats it, if it detects RP2 then you can use the covers with the pipes if it doesnt detect rp2 it will be just plain old buildcraft.

Yeah, but you know what this means? This specific pipes will:

1. Need a special BlockID.
    2. A world created with RP is for ever dependend on RP
    3. People just using RP-Core for BC-Pipes
    4. I can only guess that it would be a bit harder to switch blocks completly if another mod is detected.
    5. SpaceToad would most likely need to rewrite his pipe-system, cause of the heavy use of tile-entities for microblocks

And really... it does not make that much difference if you place the covers on top of next of the pipes. You can't attach torches but this is the only drawback since the space is occupied.

• There is no "Specific" pipes.

Its more like a rework of the original pipes to make them work normally but also make them able to use covers if RP2 its installed, thats what the api its for. Havent you unpacked IC2 Zip file and noticed there is a Buildcraft folder in there? That folder contains the API files that links BC and IC2 to make them interact if the other is detected, but if it isnt detected the mod works normally.

Also:

1) Like i said its more of rework of the original pipe, so they can use the same block id.
    2) A world created with BC is for ever dependend on BC too you know that?
    3) I guess thats one of the reasons why mods like RP2 and BC are modular, so people install only whatever they actually need. (Although i download everything for the lulz)
    4)Reworked pipes, see above.
    5) This point is true, a rework of the pipe system may be necessary to make them work correctly with covers like RP2 tubes.

And the difference between placing covers in the same blocks compared to the blocks around it, its about... 4-8blocks depending if you want to place the corners too.

• 1. Nope, a Microblock uses a new BlockID. It could be possible to use Eloraams BlockID (like BC-Addons adding new engines to the Engine-ID), but if this isn't possible SpaceToad needs to two IDs or two totally different modules which will load depending on the existing mods (which would be twice the work, although only one of the modules will load at any time).

2. Jepp I know that. But let's go the other direction. Your suggestion (exspecially with only 1 ID) would mean that I can't load pure BC-Maps with RP installed. And actually it is easy to get rid of a mod. If I would stop using BC in my actual world I would have to empty some chests and would lose my quarry, nothing dramatic. Getting rid of IC2 would be much harder since I only have IC2-Ores created.

3. Again it feels strange to download a specific part of a mod not to use it, but to use something inside another mod.

4. Hmm... even some simple detections of existing ores sometimes fail. It would cause a lot of unnecessary trouble.

5. It would be even more problematic due to the large amount of Pipe-Addons in existence.

If you want to cover a pipe because it is ugly there is no block next to the pipe. At least no full block. The only thing that could be there is some kind of torch, a lever etc. but it is rather unlikely that you want to cover pipes in a halfway that is only one block wide and even if this is the case it would be easier to request a microblock-torch from eloraam.

• While I feel that an item-transporting chest adds yet another layer of overlap to Redpower's item transport system, Buildcraft's item transportation system, Minecraft Factory's item transportation system, etc., I feel that an extra high-capacity chest, ala EE's alchemical chests, built with Iridium is an awesome idea.

• While I feel that an item-transporting chest adds yet another layer of overlap to Redpower's item transport system, Buildcraft's item transportation system, Minecraft Factory's item transportation system, etc., I feel that an extra high-capacity chest, ala EE's alchemical chests, built with Iridium is an awesome idea.

Hmm, but on this point I would say that whe should co a step further. At least we have industrial-craft so we should be able to come up with something better than a large chest :P

But I agree a larger chest would be cool. Not necessarily made from Iridium large chests aren't that strong. But to be honest Iron-Chests with the capacity of doublechest using a single block would be enough. But I'm always a bit hesitant, if they fit into already used blockIDs fine, but waste a BlockID with a chest does not seem reasonable, exspecially since there is an Iron-Chest-Mod that provides you with a lot of chests to use, with also reasonable balance.

• Hmm, but on this point I would say that whe should co a step further. At least we have industrial-craft so we should be able to come up with something better than a large chest :P

You want a big chest with "Quantum" quality? Look:
    Quantum chest: made from 4 Iridium Plates, Gold, Diamond, Obsidian, Glowstone blocks in corners, Ender Pearl in center. External size: 1 m*m*m, internal size: doublechest for each Quantum chest stored together. When closed, contains all items, anyone placed in any Quantum chest in any world. When opened, disconnect from others Quantum chests and contains random proportional part of all items stored. When destroyed, common storage room decreased and some items can be dropped to the ground. If you try to get some item by tube/pipe/... you can get any random item contained.
    So it basically a single, not limited in size, universal randomized container.
    For SMP some other rules can be added like: unable to get items, added by other players; tube can get only items, added by tube...

But I agree a larger chest would be cool. Not necessarily made from Iridium large chests aren't that strong. But to be honest Iron-Chests with the capacity of doublechest using a single block would be enough. But I'm always a bit hesitant, if they fit into already used blockIDs fine, but waste a BlockID with a chest does not seem reasonable, exspecially since there is an Iron-Chest-Mod that provides you with a lot of chests to use, with also reasonable balance.

Personal safe is exactly what you want.

• The personal safe is a bit strange, since other's can't use it...

The chests are meant more for large-scale storage of copper/tin etc. There is really no need to make this that private.

• OK I'm going to go out on a limb here. Teleportation, quantum or super long transport pipes all far to difficult. Simply capture a creeper, operate to remove the TNT and insert a chest. It'll follow you around where ever you go! MinecraftCreeper

Seriously though, this being industrial, a machine with inventory space and a power input that follows the owner may not be impossible. Possibly with a homing mode that could be selected by the player to go back to spawn. Downsides would be the block update distance (300 blocks if IRC) would mean that they'd hang up at that limit like minecarts stop and they might just bounce, bounce, bounce their way into a lava pit or not be able to get up a slope etc, but that would be part of fun.

• Terence David John Pratchett's Laggage Chest? Want it definitely! But it's magic, not industrial. :(
    Doubt you will get tech walking laggage.

• It could be a robot, based on the spider.
    ooooh and the mo' creatures scorpians could have laser tails and the fish could have lasers (lay zurs) fitted to their heads...it goes on and on.

• Idea: The chest also recharges items stashed inside it :D

"A modern tank can speed at 60 mph while shooting a target with pinpoint accuracy from 5 miles away." Civ-5