[Suggestion] Biome specific power generation

• Note: While detecting biomes may not be possible right now as of the next update biome data will be stored for each chunk.

What
    A implementation that adjusts power generation based on the biome the generator is located in.
    Why?
    Right now no one uses power grids because anything that can be done in the power station can be done at their home without the energy loss/infrastructure costs. With this addition it becomes cheaper to use power generated in certain Biomes and have it sent to people who wish to live in a nicer biome.
    Specific Rates
    Solar Panels:
    Swamp/Jungle: 0.5EU/t
    Grasslands (lots of open space): 1.5EU/t
    Deserts: 2EU/t
    Other: 1EU/t
    Watermills:
    Swamp: 0.4EU/t
    River Biomes (It is a Biome, must be between level 56-64, limit per chunk?): 1(or 2)EU/t.
    Windmills (multiplier on current value):
    Desert/Grassland: 1.8
    Jungle/Forest: 0.6
    Extreme Hills: 2.4

Finally I think some type of Geothermal active 'fault lines' would be cool...

• You will get the problem when other biome unloaded.

I'm sorry?
    If the chunk is unloaded the the generation will stop just like it does right now... (most people get around this using chunk loader blocks from Zeldo's Pipes).
    It's really nothing to do with my suggestion, unless your suggesting that the Biome data will be wiped on chunk unload (which it shouldn't be, Notch was discussing the new file format when he mentioned Biome information being saved for each chunk).

• I don't see the point in this- It would only lead to people fighting on SMP for 'better lots', or hoarding entire deserts to themselves to sell to other players for insane prices.

That, and Solar Panels already benefit from being in a Desert, as it does not rain there.

...What? There's no pineapples here.

GENERATION Pineapple: The first pineapple you see, copy it into your sig on any forum and add sqrt(-1) to the generation. Pineapple experiment.

• I don't see the point in this- It would only lead to people fighting on SMP for 'better lots', or hoarding entire deserts to themselves to sell to other players for insane prices.

That, and Solar Panels already benefit from being in a Desert, as it does not rain there.

That fighting would certainly be... entertaining, considering the PvP expansion al is preparing, it should make for interesting situations.

• That fighting would certainly be... entertaining, considering the PvP expansion al is preparing, it should make for interesting situations.

PVP on an IC2 server is either totally unfair, or totally nothing.

Totally unfair: Join the game, get raped every respawn as someone is so far ahead of you.

Totally nothing: Basically how the world is today. Everyone has Nukes, but no one wants to use them, so no one does anything to make anyone else angry.

Granted, that's not a design flaw of the game, or the mod itself... That's humans. They'll demand everything, and 'Nuke' what they don't get.

GENERATION Pineapple: The first pineapple you see, copy it into your sig on any forum and add sqrt(-1) to the generation. Pineapple experiment.

• While that's true, it's a rare thing. The only servers I know that won't suffer from it would be IR, or small servers of just friends.

• Official Post

I much prefer living in a nice green Biome than a desert... besides people always like the idea of a power grid they just can't justify the reason for making one :(.

Later, you can terraform the desert as you desire. If you have energy ofc.

• Hmmm maybe the terraformer should change the Biome (in 1.2 with the new Biome saving system this should be possible)?

I have a feeling that would require base class editing.

Then again... I have a feeling all mods will have to be rewritten to work with 1.2.

• I have a feeling that would require base class editing.

Then again... I have a feeling all mods will have to be rewritten to work with 1.2.

Ehhh you know that forge basically edit base classes right? its a matter of just asking lex to add the hooks/edit the class if necessary.

And i dont think a rewrite for mods its not going to be necessary yet (Unless those mod did something to terrain generation i think)

• Official Post

Ehhh you know that forge basically edit base classes right? its a matter of just asking lex to add the hooks/edit the class if necessary.

And i dont think a rewrite for mods its not going to be necessary yet (Unless those mod did something to terrain generation i think)

I think raa is talking about the major changes within 1.2 (map height, SMP light calculations, etc.)

• In 1.2. it is possible to change biomes via the Terraformer. Al already noticed this in some of the 1.2. threads.

And personally I like the idea. Solars are not the specific, since they already work with biomes since they don't like rain. But the windmill could use this data, but again the question is if correct biomes exist. A Mountain Biome does not have more wind than a flat biome, it is just easier to place the windmills. I don't know if coastel biomes exist, since they would have a bit more wind to use. Also Biomes next to mountains should have a bit more wind and of course oceans. But swamp, desert and grassland would be mainly the same.